Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 134 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 231 reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 24, 2013
This is one of those songs I'm embarrassed to admit I've purchased. I mean, it's so pop. Or disco. I have a hard time drawing the line with this one. In any case, it's an addictive listen where Goulding's ephemeral voice blends perfectly with the drumming beat, cool lyrics, and perfect everything else.

It's one of those songs where you can't make out the lyrics. But guessing only adds to the fun (which is why I haven't ever looked them up).

Highly recommend as an addition to the pseudo-disco files.
on January 12, 2014
My boyfriend (now fiance) heard this song when it first came out, and he told me, "This is your favorite song." I looked at him in confusion, as I had never heard the song before, but as soon as he told me the name of it, I downloaded it onto my Windows phone. I listened to it and it quickly became my favorite song; he was right after all!
on August 6, 2013
A good energy song, makes me happy when I hear it. It has that feel of some of the best or at least better pop songs from the 80’s (can’t beat them for me) and when it ends, if it happens to be on repeat I will let it play again. For added enjoyment I don’t find this song to be a ear-worm inducer, you can listen to it without it getting stuck in your head noodle.
on March 7, 2011
Ellie Goulding.

I first heard of her when she was tagged as "similar to Imogen Heap" on the zune marketplace. I listened to the album preview on there and was... interested, but not stoked at hearing more.

Until 'Lights' came on.

After abusing the repeat button for way too long, I just had to hear the full song. And while searching for it, I found out that there were two versions -- The EP version, which is the version I'm writing a review on, and a shorter version, available on the album and the re-release. It's really just the same song, and I bought and love both. The EP version just has a longer intro while the album version jumps right in with the bass.

It's hard to describe the song. It has a throwback to the 80s feel that's very danceable, and Ellie's voice is very pretty. I understand the comparison to immi as her lyrics are very artistic and could have multiple interpretations. Lots of layering and manipulating her voice. It can definitely gets stuck in your head too! "Lights, Lights, Lights, Lights..."

If you like the track, I suggest 'Starry Eyed' (it's the song she's KNOWN for) and 'Under the Sheets'. And if you're on YT, everyone loves to remix (read: DUBSTEP) the heck out of Ellie's songs. Definitely check those out as well.
on June 11, 2017
She has a very pretty voice.
on August 29, 2016
Just a fun song that was a hit for this artist.
on September 13, 2012
I looked up Ellie's wiki to find that she's actually primarily a folk singer, so I was surprised and a little dismayed to think this might be a robustly-produced hit rather than a de facto dance tune. Moreover, her follow up single "Anything Could Happen" exposes Ellie's weak voice, lack of creative melodies and more overproduction. Still, this song is worth the download. The range of the melody is wide, and undulates; the electronica at the beginning and end sort of prepares you for the story, the message; they remind me of bubbles randomly forming and bursting; and before you know it the message and it's messenger are gone as quickly as they came. I look to songs to transport me somewhere, to put me in a different state, and this work of artistry does just that.
on December 1, 2012
As an ex-club DJ and now a SAHM (stay-at-home mom) I don't usually get to hear good new EDM (electronic dance music) - enter Pandora where I can hear new music just by creating a channel from some of my favorite artists. This is how I found out about Ellie Goulding's Lights - coming from a club background in drum & bass, techno, house/deep house; this song definitely appeals to my auditory tastes. The synth bells are a signature sound in this song creating an ethereal atmosphere in its introduction; followed by a strong and forceful bass and melodic lyrics that make this song a perfect blend of melody and sound. It is currently one of my favorites - that is why it gets 5 stars.
on September 16, 2016
great song
on January 28, 2016
Fear of success is blinding. The interests of others can attempt to hold passion down, but the reality is that passion cannot be stopped. The blinding stares of others can lack passion. So you have to ignore them because their opinion is not valid.