Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 137 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 145 reviews
on March 23, 2012
I bought this for my third-generation iPad knowing that that model was 0.6mm thicker than the iPad 2, for which this case was actually designed. Good news -- it fits! Great companion to Apple's Smart Cover, and the metal strip on the back for holding the cover in place when the iPad is in use is a must-have for this kind of case. The soft touch feel is comfortable and "grippy," and the slots for ports are precisely formed. If you don't mind adding a millimeter or so of thickness to your iPad, this is a great Smart Cover companion.

My only minor complaint is that the SmartShell makes no attempt to secure the Smart Cover hinge in place, as do some other cases of this type. While it certainly doesn't make accidental Smart Cover detachment any *more* likely, it doesn't protect against it either. And perhaps that feature wouldn't be worth the additional width it would require.
on November 24, 2011
I got this as a gift for my mom's birthday. She loves her iPad 2 and the Apple Smart Cover is an excellent product. She has the matching blue Smart Cover and always wishes that there was a nice looking case that protected the back from scratches, as well as working with the Smart Cover. This product went above and beyond all of my expectations! It feels great, it is smooth but not too slippery. The SmartShell is thin, lightweight, and protective. The SmartShell works beautifully with the Smart Cover. I got my mom the matching light blue, and the Smart Cover and SmartShell blend flawlessly and are clearly made for each other. I highly recommend this product over any other for the IPad 2. It "snaps" on quickly and easily and can also be removed without too much effort, but would never come off on its own by mistake. Her iPad still slides easily into her InCase brand iPad sleeve even with the SmartShell and Smart Cover on it. As usual, Amazon.com has the best price and Prime shipping, so this product was the best birthday gift I have gotten my mom in years for me and her. It was exactly what she wanted and it did not break my bank! I believe the photos on Amazon of this product are highly accurate according to color, shape and size; you can see the apple logo through this color case as shown in the stock photo. I was impressed by this product when I found and ordered it, and even more impressed when I actually got it! The iPad "breathes" well in the case and does not seem to overheat. The SmartShell is made with a very high craftsmanship quality, it does not feel flimsy, I do not think that it will break or crack easily, and I truly believe that it will last for years. I have always trusted SPECK products to protect my Apple products. I also believe that the SmartShell will protect the iPad from scratches, dents, dings, drops and general wear and tear. I have instructed my mom to remove the case every so often an wipe the iPad and inner case of dust and and debris so that it will not rub and scratch on the iPad, although I do not think that it will be much of a problem due to the perfect fit on the iPad and limited holes for debris to sneak into. She can still easily plug everything into the iPad, the case does not get in the way of the headphone jack or charging plug (I used to have that issue with some other-brand early cases on my iPod...). I hope you buy and enjoy this product as much as I do (and my mom does!) this is the only review I have ever left feedback for too, so that should speak for itself! This product truly is SPECK-tacular!
on December 30, 2011
I have been using this for a couple of weeks now. No major complaints so far. I purchased the blue one so that it would match the blue, Apple smart cover I already had. My main disappointment is that the colors don't match up a bit better. It is not bad by any means, but there is a definite mis-match. The SmartShell is lighter in color than the Smart Cover. Two reasons that I can speculate for this. One is that the SmartShell is translucent. The other possibility is that I bought the recently revised version of the Smart Cover. I don't know if Apple changed the color any with the revision. If so, the SmartShell might need to be tweaked to match better. Having said this, the color difference is not an obstacle for purchasing this product in my mind.

Some other reasons I picked this product is that it has better coverage of the back of the iPad as compared to some competing shells. This is primarily found along the bottom of the cover. It surrounds the speaker and the dock connector. Many others have this entire area exposed. Another is the magnetic latch on the back. The secures the Smart Cover when it is folded around the back of the iPad. It stays put during normal use in my experience.

One other tidbit while I think of it. The cover has a decently "grippy" surface, which is a big plus in my mind. This was not described in several reviews and product descriptions that I read on various web sites. Speck also offers a clear version of this product. I saw this in a store and it is not textured for grippy-ness like the colored ones.
on March 15, 2012
I definitely feel like the Speck SmartShell enhances my iPad. Apple's Smart Cover's are awesome, but what about the back? I just bought an iPad 2 and found myself not knowing if it was safe to put down my iPad - indoors, outdoors, in the car, wherever. Luckily this case comes to the rescue, and honestly, I can't find anything wrong with it!

Other reviewers have said this case is "flimsy" or low quality, but let's face it, are you looking for a case that protects your iPad from getting run over, or something to keep it from getting scratched or beat up? From what I can tell after having this and using it for a few hours, SmartShell will absolutely do the job of protecting from scratches.

One thing I love is that the case is a hard plastic, but the back has this soft, rubbery sort of feel to it. I put my iPad (with case) on the counter and tried to move it a bit, and it feels like the case helps the iPad from sliding. The case also definitely helps me grip the iPad better.

Any case is going to add a little bit of bulk, but the SmartShell seems to do it minimally. The cutouts for the camera, volume, speaker, and others are perfect, not like some cheap knockoff. The case is transparent, too, so you can still see the Apple logo. Since the case is transparent, it's not a "true" black, but rather a dark charcoal gray. Fine for me.

Finally, I love that they included a magnet on the back of the case, for pinning the smart cover on the back when you are using the iPad.

When/if you go to trade in or sell an iPad for a new one, condition will be a determinant in what you get paid. Any kind of scratches, nicks, etc will drop the price you receive in the future. While you're not going to protect your iPad from any kind of hard fall or getting smashed with this SmartShell, for just over $20 you can't go wrong protecting it from scratches or anything else that happens to be on the table/countertop you set it on.
on April 12, 2012
Case fits nicely on my new iPad. Was worried it would be very snug, as I had tried several other iPad 2 cases and had only just managed to coax one of them on (the plastic immediately started to show stress). This clipped on with no extra effort.

The finish looks good and is nice to the touch - however, and this is the reason why I didn't give it 5 stars - the corners could have used some post-molding attention. And by attention, I mean a slight rubbing down with ultra fine sandpaper or a nail file - something I plan to do later today.

As an additional tidbit, the left side of the case is a little wider to accomodate the smart-cover hinges. i.e. the hinges don't extend further than the left edge of the case. (Something that did happen with my previous smart-cover compatible case)

Update: I additionally ordered a clear case, and ran into manufacturing problems described by some other reviewers. The metal strip wasn't cleanly/firmly attached and after unpackaging and pulling back a protective shipping sheet found the clear case to be pre-scratched in two places. I returned it - and will just stick with the black one.
on July 15, 2011
After looking at many different types of covers, I decided on the Speck because of it's thin design, compatibility with the Apple Smart Cover and the metal strip on the back to hold the Smart Cover when folded over. The Smartshell has met all these expectations. I particularly like the metal strip on the back to hold the Smart cover in place. It was becoming a little annoying having the cover flop around on the back while holding the iPad, especially since I like to have the Home button near my right thumb and volume rocker in the left corner.

A nice surprise for me was the "feel" of the cover. It has a slight "rubbery" texture which I find comfortable. It feels like I have a better hold on the iPad verses the very smooth metal back, which sometimes felt like the iPad was going to slip out of my hands. I read in another review that the back is prone to scratching, I hope this is not the case, but I will try and provide an update later. Right now, I am very pleased and would recommend this cover.
on June 27, 2012
This is a great looking case and works seamlessly with the Smart Cover on the the 3rd Gen iPad. You can still see the Apple Logo through the case which is a nice touch. The Case is made of a somewhat flexible, but sturdy plastic and it is easy to grab and hold on to. The case fits nicely over all ports and switches and the speaker is left uncovered, which I like. The magnet on the back is great for gaming or reading when you have to hold onto the iPad and really does a nice job of keeping the Smart Cover out fo the way. It was easy to install and adds some protection, certainly not as much as a full case does, but my iPad travels in a laptop bag and so I dont need the added protection. Finally, the Speck does not interfere with the closing of the Smart Cover as the edge of the case is flush, I know this to be an issue on some Smart Cover cases. I would certainly reccomend this case and while it is a little more money that some of the lesser known brands, it is quite a bit cheaper than the same style Belkin Case and I had good luck with my Speck case for my iPhone 4.
on October 25, 2011
I've had this case on my iPad for about a month, and I love it. It protects it very well, but I do have a few problems with it.

1) the amount of cut-outs in this case makes me nervous, especially the ones at the bottom near the plug. Sometimes i'll pick up my iPad and just feel the plastic bending back. I know at some point it'll break off, but for now at least it's doing it's job and protecting my iPad.

2) the magnetic strip on the back is great, but it's attached to the case pretty weakly. Recently everytime I peel my smart cover back to close it, the magnetic strip comes along with it. I'm sure some super glue will remedy this, but for the price I shouldn't have to resort to that after only a month's worth of use.

Love the color, love the feel of it, and like I said, overall it's great. Speck is a great brand, and I'm sure that since the iPad 2 and the smart cover are still relatively new, they're still feeling out the best options for the most efficient smart cover compatible cases.
on December 30, 2011
* Thin: Adds zero bulk
Though getting used to the small outer rim where you normally open the iPad takes a little getting used to, however, there is a notched opening making this easy.

* No fingerprints
Unlike some reviews might indicate, the back does *not* hold fingerprints or oils from the fingertips.

* Magnet for Smart Cover
The magnet holds, and since it is mirrored, yes, you can see fingerprints, but they wipe clean easily

* Works Seamlessly with Smart Cover
As mentioned, the cutouts are perfect, and the smart cover lines up exactly and is not impeded in any way.

* Easy to Set Up:
Easily snaps onto the iPad.

I've seen better pricepoints for similar products, however, the cutouts are precise, this is *durable* yet thin, thin, thin rubberized plastic, and -- vanity moment -- you can still see the logo, etc through it (if you are gonna shell out for an iPad, might as well flaunt it, eh?). Further, other similar (& cheaper) products don't have the magnet & the magnet feature is a huge selling point.

Overall, I am *very* pleased. I have Amazon Prime & was told 2 days...I got it the *next* day! Very pleasantly surprised!
on December 26, 2012
Well the Speck Smart Shell and Apple Smart Cover arrived and I must say I am not disappointed in the least. It fits snugly and does not interfere with the Apple Smart Cover. The cover has a textured coating on it, which really helps you maintain a grip on your iPad. The metal strip on the Smart Shell is sufficient to securely hold the Apple Smart Cover in place while you are hand-holding your iPad. I have not "drop tested" the Smart Shell (nor do I care to), but I'm not to confident it will absorb impacts as well as a true "case" (ie. OtterBox Defender or Seidio Active).

I will be taking some detailed photos and will post them soon.

This rear cover is meant to be for minimal addition of size and weight for your iPad, in that regard I feel it performs it's job well!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.