Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 109 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 121 reviews
on April 25, 2016
Got this years ago (September of '11) to pair with a then top of the line E4200. The router and 684UB were about 30 feet, a floor, and two walls apart. That combo served me well playing a myriad of dungeon crawlers, Diablo III and Torchlight 2 amongst them. I've racked up several hundred hickup-free hours on those two games alone, and a good portion of that I had played with my brother on the same network. When he and my usual group of gaming buds moved on to Path of Exile, I of course followed suit.
Around that time though, I had updated to Windows 10, and to my dismay, the available drivers for the 684UB were either incomplete or wonky. The latest drivers from Ralink/Mediatek at the time only supported 2.4Ghz, or if I did use older drivers that allowed for 5Ghz my computer's internet speeds were hobbled. I have Optimum 55down/25up, and with Windows 7 my desktop was actually achieving 58down/29up on either band (tested using Ookla's Speedtest). With Windows 10, it was down to 37/22 on 5Ghz and 27/8 on 2.4Ghz. Pings were around the same time, between 9-12ms, but when I was browsing on Firefox, webpages would hesitate to load. Gaming was still smooth though, but streaming from my NAS, a DLINK DNS-320, suffered. Not that the 320 was a speed demon in the first place, but it could provide a steady ~40mbs read speed, but after the Windows 10 update, it was down to ~18mbs. Absolutely maddening!
I resigned myself to eventually buy a Windows 10 certified wifi adapter but never actually got around to it. Again, gaming was still smooth, and I used my laptop to stream from the 320. One day however, I needed to back up my desktop's hard drive, and good God the ~15mbs write speed to my new NAS (a repurposed Lenovo PC) was just unbearable. On a whim, I decided to check out Mediatek's website for updated drivers, and lo and behold there was one released on January 2016. Downloaded it (the file name was IS_Setup_ICS_011916_1.5.39.173), uninstalled the old drivers, installed the new one, and rebooted. And like an old friend recovering from a debilitating injury, the 684UB was back up to full speed. If anyone is familiar with Courage the Cowardly Dog and his distinct way of saying Yay, that was my reaction. Yay!
Also did some quick speed tests to the Lenovo (Core 2 Duo with 7200rpm Hitachi HDD) and was able to get over 100mbs on both read and write. The 684UB achieved that easily on 5Ghz AND 2.4Ghz. Keep in mind that is with channel bonding activated (that's the option in most routers that have you choose 20Mhz or 40Mhz) and a new router, an Archer C8.
Even with the venerable E4200 retired, I'm a bit reluctant to replace the 684UB. My brother has upgraded to a rosewill AC1200UBE wifi adapter, and it doesn't significantly outperform the Trendnet LAN to LAN despite being USB 3 and AC spec. Internet speeds aren't affected of course since that is limited by my ISP. With nearly five years of reliable service, I think I'll be hanging onto this little device a bit longer.

*Update 01/07/2017*

Adapter still works great. Just did a recent benchmark and uploaded a screenshot of the results. I did recently upgrade to an AC1200 wireless adapter though, an EDUP EP-AC1605. Hope it serves me just as well as the 684UB
review image
on March 7, 2012
I'll keep this short as there are already a number of reviews on this product.

Pros:

-Small Size
-Screaming fast 802.11n throughput speeds
-Decent price
-Great range
-Looks cool

Cons:

-It's not free
-It won't say "I Love you" back
-Blue activity light flashing doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Summary:

I'm using this adapter with my Asus RT-N66U router in "N-Only" mode, 40mhz channel bandwidth on the 5ghz band. I'm on the second story of my house with the router downstairs and one room away. My connection is rock solid all the time, Windows indicates 90% signal strength at 450mbps link speed.

I have a 30/4 cable connection and this adapter easily maxes out my download speed when compared to my wired PC.

Setup was pretty straight forward on Windows 7 64-bit, install drivers and TrendNet Utility, connect adapter, reboot, enjoy!

I've tried several different adapters, but this paired with my Asus RT-N66U router is just as good as a wired connection in my home. The only odd thing is that my blue activity light is either flashing so fast I can't tell, or hardly ever flashes at all under heavy transfer load. Seems to be a purely visual issue, not related to actual performance at all.

I'd recommend this buy 100%. If you're looking for speed and simplicity, you've found it.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on December 27, 2016
This adapter is so-so at best. It's not going to win any awards but it does pick up 2.4Ghz networks flawlessly. The advertised 5Ghz antenna picks up 5G networks now and then.

Pros
- enabled my desktop to pick up wireless networks

Cons
- doesn't pickup 5Ghz networks 90% of the time and it's at the same height and distance as with my laptop that does pickup 5Ghz networks. Sometimes disabling and enabling the adapter helps
- gets reasonable warm at times but that is to be expected?
- not supported by manufacturer anymore so no official Windows 8,8.1 & 10 drivers to get the 5Ghz to work. The manufacturer has a "workaround" on their site
- I do believe the cable is a bit short and it gets better signal when it is placed higher

Other thoughts
I bought this adapter in July 2014. I am still using it and I've come to accept its shortcomings. When the 5Ghz do pickup wifi signal in that range, it works very well. This adapter has served me well and I do believe it is time for an upgrade.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2014
I recently purchased a CybertronPC Assassin 4242B desktop pc from Amazon and I needed to buy either a wireless card to install or buy an adapter like this. After reviewing the stats on the Trendnet 450 Mbps Dual Band Wireless N USB Adapter I decided to purchase one, and give it a try. I am so glad that I did! It works absolutely wonderful connecting me to my DIR-857 wireless router. My connection speed between my new desktop and the wireless router is a solid and steady 216.7 Mb/s! My tests for online speeds were hitting 38.50 Mb/s D/L and 2.26 Mb/s U/L. My old HP laptop only hits 22.5 to 24 Mb/s D/L and 2.25 Mb/s U/L sitting right next to my desktop... My room is also on the second floor of our house, and the modem/wireless router are on the first floor with thick insulated walls. Our max speed setup on our internet connection is 50 Mb/s D/L, so it is performing absolutely wonderful!

I am really glad I gave this wireless adapter a try! I have had absolutely no problems with disconnects, lag, or lockups. If you are looking for a quick, easy, and very reliable wireless adapter then this is the right choice by far!
on February 1, 2015
After having had this in the box for months, I was finally able to put it to use on another desktop in the house that was older and "off lease". This adapter was able to pull the maximum bandwidth off my dual band router, so I am quite pleased with the product. As I build my "super computer" this year, I'll be moving this adapter from that old basic computer to my new one to make for a nice wireless setup.

Definitely recommend this to those looking for something with a super small footprint but that does exactly what it says it does. This actually picks up the signal better than the AC NIC cards that I upgraded in both mine and my wife's laptops.
on July 16, 2011
Having used the Netgear WNDA3100 and the Cisco AE1000 adapters previously this adapter beats them handsdown.
Neither of the previous adapters could maintain near the 300Mbps advertised, they would typically fluctuate between 54 & 150 Mbps (maybe hitting about 200Mpbs on 5mHz channel), but never holding a constant signal. The TrandNet holds 450Mbsp constantly. I am using the Cisco E4200 router (it also performed well on a Neatgear n750 router).
Range and signal reception are both FAR better than either of the mentioned USB thumb-tpye adapters.
This is the way to go if you need a high speed network connection for streaming or gaming and have a router that supports 450Mbps.
on March 25, 2015
The setup was as simple as could be. Connection speed to my wireless network was well within what would be expected on a wireless N connection. I deduct 1 star simply because the cable that comes with it is much shorter that what I really need. It would be suitable for a laptop or other portable device, but setting up a desktop computer, I would like to have been able to place it further up and out to get an even clearer signal path. I will buy a replacement (longer) cable in the near future, but will make do for now. Overall, this is a great wireless device for the price.
on December 6, 2013
This works fine for me, except that it took me a while to realize that there needs to be a pretty good line of sight for it to stay connected reliably. I have it about 20 feet from the router in the next room. It frequently cut out on me until I put the router on a tall stand on the desk it's sitting on, and moved this unit as far forward as I could so there is nothing blocking it. Before that, I had two days of frustration where it was in an endless loop of disconnecting/reconnecting. It does get quite warm as some reviewers mentioned.
on December 17, 2012
I am upgrading our house network to increase transfer speeds between all our devices and to implement a more robust backup scheme. Chose the ASUS Black Knight N66U router as our primary networking device, a dual band 450 Mbps device, which then led to the need for higher speed wireless adapters on a few key computers to take advantage of the higher router speeds, and after much research, chose the TRENDnet 450's to match the router specs. Have installed these on work laptop and audio workstation desktop so far, and will purchase another for home server when get that up and running.

Honestly, I've been moving away from the old stalwarts like Netgear, Dlink, and especially LinkSys (after Cisco acquisition), as I don't think they are on the leading edge of performance, reliability, and ease of use any more. TRENDnet, on the other hand, seems to be on the rise, and offering good price/performance, especially on the adapter side. Had a TRENDnet 300 Mbps 2.4GHz dongle that worked very well, so that and reviews led me to the 684UB.

Conclusion, the TRENDnet 684UB is an very good low priced choice! However, for MAXIMUM throughput, get the slightly more expensive but worth it Asus USB-N66 ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-N900 USB Network Adapter (USB-N66)

First and foremost, am getting much higher link speeds than via old N and G adapters linked to my previous dual band N router (Netgear WNDR3700 dual band 300Mbps). Am seeing up to the rated 450 Mbps link speed with the TRENDnet 684UB working with the Asus Black Knight, especially on 5GHz band, and had never exceeded 100 Mbps with previous setup. 2.4 GHz link speeds are up as well, 50-100%, despite the crowding in that band in general and where I live specifically. I know link speeds are not the same as throughput, BUT, throughput is some *fraction* of link speed, so, if you don't get the higher link speed, you are limiting throughput as well, and now, I can work with the maximum *potential* speed that 802.11N currently provides. Have not done formal speed/throughput benchmarking, but will update this review if I do. Real world speed FEELS fast, and much faster than previous setup.

Second, these adapters are really small! No, they are not a USB dongle in size, but I want speed first and foremost for this application, and the device just needs some physical size for antennas to send and receive at these new higher 802.11N speeds.

Setup was drop dead easy, just downloaded the latest driver and utility bundle from the TRENDnet site (I almost never use included CDs with devices, as the drivers are almost always out of date), installed, plugged in, and connected to my router with WPA2-PSK security (this specific security protocol is necessary to get to the top speeds in the 802.11N spec).

Another cool thing I am testing is on my laptop, where I have both the built-in dual band 300 Mbps Intel radio and now the TRENDnet both operating simultaneously. Have not done any benchmarks yet that would measure the benefits of such a setup, but I'm intrigued. And it's just plain cool to have 2.4 and 5 GHz connections show up simultaneously in Windows wifi taskbar app.

Summing up...

Pros
+ True 450 Mbps link speeds on 5GHz band in real world (router two rooms away thru three walls)
+ Very small size - 3" tall by 2" wide
+ Can locate device for optimum reception via USB cable
+ GREAT price
+ Easy setup, can be managed by Windows or through optional utility software
+ Looks like a high tech shark fin :-)

Cons
- Throughput drops under load, as noted by others elsewhere (- 1 star).
- Utility software is kind of primitive, but seems to work fine. I did notice at one point that I had to enter my SSID password in both the TRENDnet utility and Windows Wireless Networking for things to work right, but kinda serves me right for leaving both enabled - heh heh

Tips
* Location/orientation. Move the adapter around, changing orientation, height, location, to get the best signal, and watch the link speed change to see which location provides best link speed. I just held the adapter in many different positions for a few seconds and eyeballed the average link speed to find out what was best. Turned out location/orientation within the range of the bundled USB cable could affect speed by as much as 50%! For me, higher was better (perhaps obviously), and the best orientation was sideways hanging off the edge of my 26" LCD, with the lights facing down. Hmmm... but it works.
* Tune your router. The router is of course the other key enabler of overall network performance. Each router is different, but on the Asus Dark Knight I'm using the already mentioned WPA2-PSK security on both bands, 40MHz channel width on 5GHz band, and 20/40 Auto on the 2.4 GHz band, and, critically, power output turned up to the 200 mW maximum. The latter REALLY helps both bands, but especially the 5GHz link speeds.

Highly recommend the 684UB for those who have dual band 450 Mbps routers and need a high performance, reasonably priced adapter to match.
on February 4, 2012
I've got to start with both the obvious and the good; this adapter is very, very fast. It appears to be a good match to my Netgear WNDR4000, with the connect speed at this moment at 450mbps and holding. I will be trying it at a much longer distance when I get some time.

Now for the really annoying - getting it working. Installing the software (and I downloaded the latest from Trendnet) was easy enough. Then as per instructions I connected the device. According to Device Manager, I have myself a very generic 802.11N adapter from RALINK. Device Manager shows only a few settings, all of which were pretty much wrong by default. I went for the Trendnet utility, making sure it would appear in the Taskbar, only it didn't. It seems that it does not show up there until the unit is working, but the unit won't work until you get the settings right. Great job Trendnet! Having a utility that doesn't work until it's not needed - great programming.

I adjusted device settings in Device Manager and in Windows (7), and got it up and running, and then the utility finally showed up in Taskbar. With it up I am getting a consistent 405 to 450mbps - mostly 450 connection to the router which is one floor below and one room away. I'll report later on greater distances.

I bought this because a brand new HP DV7 came with an Intel 1030 - a nearly useless N card. So far the TEW-684UB meets this need very nicely. But I would like to see Trendnet fix its installation bugs, and I would like the device driver to acknowledge this being from Trendnet, not RALINK as it does.

It is now Feb 20, so I've been using it for about 2 weeks. One suggestion - aim the flat side of the dongle at your router (the left side if the side with the lights is thought to be the front). The signal strength is a bit more consistent that way. Connectivity is still good. The dongle does get warm.

It is really nice to not have to reset my router or my wifi adapter every couple days and to not need wires draped all over the floor. IOTW, I like this unit and do recommend it though do warn you that the installation software may be a pain.

Update May 24, 2011.
I started having a very strange problem, where explorer.exe would hang in Win 7 (64) after I accessed files on another PC in my network. It appears that it only happened after the laptop, not being used for a bit, would go into sleep or hybrid sleep, then woken up to do more work. Explorer hung, a reboot would often hang on the way down. Very painful. All went away after I disabled sleep. I'm guessing a bug in the driver, which I've now reported to Trendnet.

One more note; the config utility is not intuitive for doing setups. If you don't have the instructions in front of you it will be very confusing. A few gui revisions would likely fix this. But once you do get all the settings right, you get a very nice, fast connection.