Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by The Lone Bellow Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 43 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 56 reviews
VINE VOICEon February 5, 2014
I've been a fan of Alan Silvestri's work off and on for years, but this is probably his best score (not iconic, that would be Back to the Future).

When I got the soundtrack and listened to it, I was deeply impressed by how a score made of such small snippets could be so powerful, inspiring, and fun! It reminds me more than anything of the soundtrack for the video game Mass Effect (but in a different way than you might expect). While both of those scores are very different in style of instrumentation (one is very synthesizer heavy, and the other pays homage to a lot of old film scores) they are both very concerned with telling a story in just a few minutes with each piece. You are very quickly pulled into the mood of the piece, taken for a bit of a ride, and then let go before things get too repetitive or boring.

The point was really driven home to me by how my mp3 player pulled up individual pieces from the score randomly. For most musical scores, if you just listen to one piece out of the score by itself out of order (except perhaps for the main theme) it usually feels disjointed and you want to skip it for listening to the entire score by itself. Here, on the contrary, EVERY piece of the score stands on it's own. A self-contained story in each piece. If you don't mind your individual pieces of a score being very brief...it's absolutely brilliant.

The score is also very dynamic and quick moving, rousing and pulsing. It may seem shallow if you are used to long drawn-out symphonies, but if you are a fan of film and video game music it ought to be right up your alley. The mastering of the score is also quite excellent and clean, to the point where I actually use the score to benchmark new headphones due to the clear horns, dynamic use of strings, and heavy use of drums to build mood. Listening to the score on a $250.00 pair of headphones, I was finally able to hear everything they were capable of.

This score does unfortunately have one weakness. The absolute best piece of music from the score is missing. The Captain America March from the end credits is not on the score. This is absolutely unforgivable. The reason being that the main theme is played several times throughout the score, with two versions by themselves at approximately one minute each (opening credits and Captain America theme). Also included (for ridiculous laughs I'm sure) is the "Star Spangled Man" at almost three minutes in length. Instead of that, they should have included the End Credits March. Because it's awesome. If you don't believe me rewatch the end credits from your Blu Ray of the movie, or heck just watch it on YouTube.

I am VERY tired of paying good money for official soundtracks that are missing the best music from the film (even if you got every track available for Tron:Legacy it would be out-of-order and missing the music from the climactic chase at the end of the film, and I want the End Credits music from Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3D, but it's nowhere to be found short of on the film itself). I hope this issue get resolved for all soundtracks in the future, but in the meantime, this soundtrack is great, just make sure you find a copy of the missing music.
VINE VOICEon September 19, 2011
Alan Silvestri is one of the world's most respected composers, and he is for a good reason. Silvestri thrives on adventure scores yet is able to hit emotional beats with ease. His thematic sensibility is also extremely strong. With scores like Back To The Future, Forrest Gump, The Mexican and The Mummy Returns he has shown what strong themes can do. If I were to compare this score to any of his others it would be The Mummy Returns with the feel of Back To The Future. The whole deal has a hint of Giacchino played through it and the main theme is eerily close to Giacchino's Medal Of Honor theme. However, Silvestri makes it his own and the score is quite good.

The score is old fashioned in that this is a 99% orchestral score. I was surprised that electronics found their way into the soundscape later in the story, but they didn't hinder the feel at all and in fact tied in quite nicely with the science fiction aspect of it all. The music is constantly pumping, which makes for an exciting and entertaining listen. If there are any N64 players who remember Shadows Of The Empire they may be inclined to be a little nostalgic because the score has the feel of that in a few places. The score stays heroic with its soundscape and is always big and boisterous. As you listen through you may get the sensation that the score gets repetitive, and it does in some places. At times it feels like you're running in place but Silvestri kicks it into high gear for the final act.

In the end this is a good adventure score done with old fashioned sensibilities. It lacks any real emotional depth or character, but the experience is worth the price. I personally enjoy his score to The Mummy Returns much more, and with a summer full of super heroes we've seen better. Patrick Doyle and Henry Jackman take the Marvel universe crowns with their scores this summer, but Alan Silvestri is right behind those two.
The comic book movie genre is one of my favorites, and I have enjoyed all the Marvel movie soundtrack to date. But I also enjoy soundtracks that deal with American themes and politics - "The Ides of March" and "John Adams" are two recent favorites of mine.

In his score for Captain America, composer Alan Silvestri creates an atmosphere that completely conveys the American spirit in a way that few other musical efforts ever have. This album has just about everything you'd want for a superhero score - the epic themes, the dramatic action cues, and even some music that showcases the threat of the villain. There are a few dull spots on the soundtrack, but overall this is a very strong album and worth a purchase.

"Star Spangled Man", the song that appears in the film, is included on the soundtrack and is a nice touch - it's a pretty catchy tune.

As we all know, Captain America is the First Avenger... and indeed Mr. Silvestri would go on to score "The Avengers" as well. Yet in many ways, I think this score for "Captain America" is the superior one.

FAVORITE TRACKS:
[16] Triumphant Return
[23] "This is My Choice"
[27] Captain America March
on May 24, 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed Silvestri's outstanding work. He evokes stunning, heroic images that hold up to repeated listens. My sole complaint has nothing to do with the music and everything to do with the flimsy jewel case. I purchased both this and The Winter Soldier CDs, and both jewel cases all but crumbled to plastic bits the moment I removed them from their cellophane wrappers. The cases were of amazingly poor quality and completely unusable. Fortunately, I happened to have a couple of sturdier spares that I swapped out. I realize I could avoid all that by purchasing downloads, but I still prefer to get actual CDs for the liner notes. But if hyper-brittle jewel cases are the new thing, I may have to reconsider. I definitely recommend this soundtrack, but go with the download if you have any plans of handling the cases on a regular basis.
on September 11, 2014
Great Adventure Score by Alan Silvestri! Over the years Alan Silvestri has created some gems, Back to the Future, Forest Gump, and some others, and then (in my opinion) he's made some not so great scores, at least for listening to. They work perfectly in the films, but weren't all that fun to listen to.

But this score was Perfect for this film! He created a nice "throw back" feel to when adventure films made you feel good and the scores were a perfect marriage.
on August 6, 2013
Once again, Alan Silvestri's music brings back the power of the movie he scored. The style and power let's one relive the battles and heartbreak that Captain America went through in the movie. Silvestri captured the World War II era perfectly in the score. And who could ever forget The Star Spangled Man. It is so reminiscent of the time the movie was set in. And a lot of the WWII USO shows were just like that. I love the feel and the texture of the music and it's easy to get lost in the themes presented on the disc. Makes me want to watch the movie all over again. Amazing!
on February 11, 2017
Great Cd, when I bought this for my daughter she loved it. One of her favorite songs was that last song called " Star Spangled Man". My daughter has also seen this movie before I got her the Cd.
on May 8, 2016
Captain America the First Avenger is my favorite Marvel movie! All the actors did amazing jobs with their portrayals of these classic characters! Writing was amazing! Direction by Joe Johnson was perfect! Not one complaint about this movie!
on September 2, 2014
This is a good soundtrack, for which I willingly paid $5, but I don't know that it is worth more than that to me. The music is a little to patriotic, almost sappy, and does not have enough variation in it to keep me listening to the album straight through without interruption. It still has some great tracks, however, and is an important part of the Marvel movie library of soundtracks.
on May 1, 2012
Here one hears music that reflect a movie that is big on action. To make this type of movie its important that one see not only action and mayhem but feel it. This "feel" is that the music conveys this action. Music makes a movie. To get it right the composer must be one with the audience. They must feel the pulse of the music, and with it the pain and the glory with the actors, which allows us to participate not only to see the movie but to be a part of it.