Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Magazine Deals Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by morrisey Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

VINE VOICEon January 1, 2012
The beautiful story of the birth of Jesus, our Savior, will never get old, but we don't often give much thought to the real people on that journey to Bethlehem. A woman about to give birth, hoping she can wait until she reaches safe shelter to have her baby, a man wondering how he can protect and care for the mother on the uncomfortable, rocky road, will he get her to shelter in time, who will help with the birth, how will he care for and teach the Son of God?

I just finished reading The Christmas Journey. I don't remember ever reading about the birth of Jesus with tears in my eyes, but I did this time. This was the story of a rugged journey, complete with sounds and smells of a place that nobody would have thought appropriate for the birth of the Savior of the world.

The traditional Christmas story is given first, which is appropriate for children. The author's version has a few details that you may want to omit when you're reading it out loud for a family with children.

It took about 10-15 minutes to finish the book.

This is beautifully and appropriately written. I accidentally bought two copies, so I planned to give one for a Christmas present to someone next year. I didn't need to wait though. I gave both books now rather than wait, so they can enjoy them. The story is good any time. The two people I gave them to were excited about them. One, an extremely shy woman, terrified to even try to speak in English, is going to use the fairly short book to improve her poor English skills, by reading it to her children. The other one told me she cried when she read the story, particularly the part where Joseph wonders what he will be able to teach Jesus and how he will be able to raise a child who is the Son of God.
on December 4, 2016
I chose this book for a book club. We each selected one Christmas book by this author. I spent nearly $9 on a book that was essentially no more than a long Christmas card. Don't get me wrong, I love the Christmas story but I could have just as well opened my bible and read the account there.
on June 28, 2012
I listened to the audio version, and it brought tears to my eyes. Donna tells the first Christmas story like no one else from whom I have ever heard it told. That cold winter's night comes alive in her narrative and makes you feel like you have your own little corner of that cave from which to view the birth of the Savior. With reverence and passion Donna tells us things we may never have imagined before. Certainly not a substitute for the story in Luke 2, it is definitely a good companion. I plan to play it for our family celebration this year!! I believe you will have a greater respect for the young Mary and Joseph after hearing this tale. I am certain that you also will be touched as I have been.
on July 28, 2013
Simply elegant and humble yet thought-provoking account of the birth of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I enjoyed the wonderful illustrations by Michael Storrings. This is a wonderful book that would be great for families to share before, during and even after Christmas. It addresses issues that are often left out of the Christmas Story such as the fear of these two young people about to be parents to the One and Only Son of God. This book is a keeper and should be a permanent part of Christmas family traditions year after year.
on February 9, 2015
I had not given a lot of consideration into what Joseph and Mary were feeling as they made their trek to pay their taxes. This is a lovely book and it is being shared with others in my church. A beautiful story that should be re-read each Christmas to remind us of the sacrifice made so our Lord and Savior could be born as prophesied in The Old Testament. Thank you.
on December 9, 2012
I am always amazed by the obedience of Mary and Joseph as they prepared for the birth of Jesus! It is inspiring to me to think that if God could use a servant girl and a carpenter to fulfill His plan, he can use me too. Donna VanLiere retells The Nativity story in a simple but moving way. Readers will see Mary and Joseph in a different light, as real people, after reading the book. This book is a quick but heart warming read - something to be treasured year after year.
on January 1, 2017
Great book. Gives you the Christmas Story, plus a look at how their journey to Bethlehem was. Highly recommend.
on May 26, 2017
I really enjoy these little Christmas stories.
on December 29, 2010
Althought this book had beautiful photos and has an interesting spin on the Nativity Story- I thought this was going to be a novel just like the Christmas Hope series. Maybe I didn't do enough research myself, but when I saw another VanLiere Christmas book I automatically bought it. This is a short story- maybe even too short for a children's bedtime story- but again has a nice spin on the Nativity story. Just not as good as her other novels.
2 helpful votes
on February 1, 2017
I can see why this one is popular. Adds a more realistic narrative.