Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Ellen

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,490 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,588 reviews
on September 8, 2011
Sure was a long wait (again!) but well worth it! The jet-fueled premier of the 4th run was incredibly satisfying in itself, and promises much more over the next several weeks -- like tying up at least some of the purposely left loose ends from the preceding seasons as well adding new twists.
Katey Sagal is as fierce & fabulous as ever; didn't think it was possible, but the ensemble cast seems even more relaxed & enmeshed than before, very believable that they have known each other for ages, thru all kinds of stormy weather. A consistent show strength has been to demonstrate the cohesiveness of the club while illustrating the concerns, doubts, resentments that flicker thru & between individual members or associates -- these actors all seem to have a gift for nuance, and the camera work complements it well.
My experience has been that at least 2 viewings are required to even begin to pick up all the glances and grimaces that further the story, not to mention verbal & visual allusions. For instance, I noticed that the Asst. U.S. Attorney has pictures of Otto & Juice under the heading "Plan B" on his office wall of shame (mug shots & photos of Samcro and everyone living or dead ever associated w/ the club). So the 2nd time I watched Juice more closely (and what I saw makes me kinda nervous...and very anxious for the next episode!)
on August 8, 2015
Three and a half stars might be a better rating. This show falls into a weird category for my wife and me as we can't stop watching it yet we can't help but find several faults with it as well. I don't want to give any spoilers or anything, so I'll generalize and say that there's no way so many murders can happen in a small town and barely anyone every gets caught. Even if the police are somewhat under your power. There have been quite a few episodes where I found myself saying, "oh, come on!" or "yeah, right!" Also, the show borders on being a soap opera at times, but then again, so did other better series, like the Sopranos or Mad Men. But we still binge watch it at times and it's definitely a lot of fun, especially once you get to know some of the characters well. If you can suspend your disbelief for a while you will thoroughly enjoy S.O.A.
on August 30, 2012
Motorcycle gangs. Shoot outs. Tough guys. Rock 'n roll. This is a MAN'S show, correct? No soapy stuff here. Not correct. This is through and through a SOAP OPERA, disguised with the leather jackets and tough guys. Don't get me wrong - this is an excellent show. It is definitely captivating, the acting is great, and it is NON-STOP drama and action. As far as one of the best shows EVER? I think some people are getting ahead of themselves.

The thing that really separates the epitome of excellent television (The Wire, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad) from very good television (Sons of Anarchy, for example), is the fact that in the first types of shows, people don't really change. This mimics real life, where people generally remain relatively the same over long periods of time once they reach a certain age. Of course people can do complete 180s in their lives and change, but at the core....people generally remain the same. EXCELLENT television is generally a little slow moving in character development, since in real life people don't change from day to day. These shows don't rely on cheap thrills and love triangles and constant jaw-dropping character changes and motives. They have to rely on...wait for this....great writing.

Enter Sons of Anarchy. It is one of the biggest rollercoaster emotional ride experience on television, with people and their motives CONSTANTLY changing and evolving from episode to episode. People get kidnapped, everyone is a liar and a backstabber, and one minute something is a crucial element to the plot, and the next it's dropped/forgiven/forgotten. The writers are masters at creating drama and non-stop action, but as far as realistic portrayals of human beings (something that the show is trying to achieve - make us empathize with these characters), this gets a 4/10. They are the show that relies on cheap thrills and twists to make a show. Does it make it bad? Not necessarily. Not every show is made to be in the ranks of shows like The Sopranos. Kurt Sutter has commented that all of the excess, ridiculous, over-the-top drama is purposeful and for good television. This is quite probable, but is it an excuse or the truth? With the way some of the characters act (Gemma in particular), I believe that the show is trying to make me feel like this show is more than just constant drama and twists, but something more deep and meaningful. And I'm not feeling it.

The acting is really great, there is no denying that. I'm still not convinced that I buy Ron Perlman (Clay) as tough biker, but I've come to deal with it. This is a very Clay-focused season. Katey Sagal as Gemma is wonderful as always, and is absolutely superb with the material she is given. My only problem with her character is that sometimes the writers push the "matriarch" card a little too hard. Ever see the end of Mystic River, where the wife gives Sean Penn that "king" speech? Every time Gemma talks it sort of reminds me of that, and it's a little annoying after 4 seasons. Also, Maggie Siff as Tara Knowles continues to bore the hell out of me, and it's been obvious since season 1 that they are setting her up to become the new "matriarch" of the club. Predictable/cliche, much?

I also still can't forgive the sudden drop of Wendy (Drea de Mateo) in season 2. In season 1 she is living with Jax and there is a major storyline between Gemma/Tara/Wendy, and in the next season Wendy completely dropped off the face of the earth along with the storyline, and then she returns this season.....? Disjointed storylines like this are never signs of excellent television. Her character was inconvenient for the growth of Tara/Jax, so they just dropped her. Lazy writing.

Charlie Hunnam is an amazing actor (can you believe he is a British stage actor?) and totally convincing for his role. Everyone else is very good - I love Kim Coates, Mark Boone Junior, Theo Rossi, Tommy Flanagan, and probably my favorite - Dayton Callie as Wayne Unser. He was terrific in Deadwood, and equally great in this show. The show still has a total obsession with using Deadwood characters - over 13 to date, but that's a great thing and they make a great addition to the show. This season we're joined by Ray McKinnon, another Deadwood actor (the Reverend!) as Assistant U.S. Attorney, Lincoln Potter, and as usual, this guy is just amazingly weird and a terrific addition to the cast.

SoA is not lacking in drama or great acting, but I think a more slow-paced show (somewhat like the first season) would do it justice and make it a little less silly and a little more gritty. I definitely recommend this show to anyone though that is interested in a high-action, intense, dramatic show with lots of twists, turns, extremely sappy moments and great acting performances. Even with the all of the criticism I gave it, it's still easily in the top 10 best dramas currently on television, hence the high rating. I'm definitely not going to stop watching.
on November 21, 2015
Sons of Anarchy was interesting the first few seasons as it portrays the difficuties of maintaining a kingdom. By the 4th season the writers had run out of new ideas so every situation was just an excuse to kill more people in or out of the motorcycle club. I was rooting for the cops to kill them all and put them out or their misery. finally i gave up and quit watching.
on December 4, 2015
I had purposely not watched Thai series before now as I figured it was another one of "those" movies. I am thrilled to say it was AWESOME. I became totally hooked/ obsessed at about the 3rd episode in season one.
Somehow I immediately felt connected to so many people in the show. I was amazed by some of the actresses (especially Katey Sagal!) everyone did a fabraric job! Great story...pretty realistic (minus a few smaller details.)
I loved it. I am actually starting to watch the entire series again... To catch things I may have missed.
Most of all it was awesome due to being on Amazon Prime. It was great to watch it show after show!
( Yikes! Where did that week and a half go!?)

Hope you enjoy it too!
on March 15, 2016
Finally, we get the reward that we've been waiting for and Opie, again, does the one thing that we've all been wanting to do.

The Cartel Storyline played out almost to neat and clean in my book but the real story behind them was a nice little out of left field move. Clay's Story is where this season is at. They setup things for the next three seasons to come with the Irish.

The final song of the season... Epic choice.

Rat is my new favorite character on the supporting side. The DA Guy had SOOO much potential that they squandered but he honestly left in EPIC style. Just a lot of good happening overall.
on October 4, 2016
Fantastic series. The storyline and writing is phenomenal. You never know what's going to happen. Never a dull moment. Glad I didn't watch it on TV - there's no way I could have waited a whole week until the next episode. This is definitely a TV show to binge watch. If nudity, drugs, and language don't bother you, you will NOT be disappointed in this series.
on September 11, 2016
I'm usually not one to stay hip to the new subscriptions and things as such, in fact this would be my first review in general.
Amazon Prime Video is amazing, it has every show I usually watch and it's great that I can go back seasons and watch shows like "Sons Of Anarchy" from season 1 to season 7! No ads, no commercials, no missing episodes. What more can you ask for! As far as Sons Of Anarchy goes.. Great show, went back and started all the way from episode 1 and in 8 days I'm already on Season 6! Worth every penny! 5 out of 5 for me!
on March 12, 2017
Give this show a go. If you like tough guys and gals from most walks of life this show is for you. I daydreamed vicariously about this show all 7 years that it was on FX. So now I own every season(except S1 which I will have soon) so I can relive those happy, painfully excruciating and down right very cool moments of the series whenever I want to go back there. It's a fun,wild and tearfully Great Show!!
on June 12, 2013
I got into this show late, so I was able to watch Seasons 1, 2, 3 in a marathon style viewing. On one hand I'm glad that I got to overdose on so many episodes at once. On the other hand, I can't believe I missed out on this amazing show for as long as I did.

Since anyone can find many critics reviews, fan sites, and twitter accounts related to this show, I will try to keep my review short and sweet: I made my cousin, my housemate, and my bestie watch this entire series - all at separate times. Thus I have watched the entire series approximately 4 times (as I watched with each of them and once on my own). I have found new layers to the story with every viewing. Each one of them thanked me for introducing them to this show & each one sends me ridiculous amounts of text messages on Tuesday nights when the show is playing live - of course we only reply during commercials because it is impossible to tear your eyes away from the screen when the show is airing.

Overall - this is the first TV show that I actually bought all of the DVD set for each season. This would be the first entertainment item that would accompany me to a deserted island. Although I buy the Amazon Season Pass now with my Roku box, I will still buy the DVDs upon their release just for the extras on the discs. Yes, this show is worth paying for it twice!