Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Paul McCartney Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 239 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 336 reviews
on April 12, 2016
I choose this rating because the movie is good. What I like about the movie is that “From this moment on, none of you is safe.” (Batman) When Gotham City is in desperate need of heroes, two men take a stand for justice... but on opposite sides. Bruce Wayne returns home after years abroad to become a crimefighter, just as honest cop Lt. James Gordon moves to Gotham and finds corruption at every level. When Bruce becomes the masked vigilante Batman, the city explodes as his new nemesis Catwoman, the mob and Gordon all close in! Don't miss this thrilling DC Universe Animated Original Movie based on the groundbreaking story by Frank Miller and featuring three-time Emmy Award-winner Bryan Cranston, Ben McKenzie, Katee Sackhoff, Eliza Dushku and Alex Rocco in its stellar voice cast. Experience a bold and dynamic vision of the Dark Knight's first year in action and the start of his enduring friendship with Jim Gordon. What I dislike about the movie is that I wanted to see more of it. I would recommend this movie to other people.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 23, 2011
- Bruce Wayne, pre-Batman: "I'm not ready. I have the means... the skill... But something's missing. I have to wait."

In 1987 Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli launched the "Year One" craze with their BATMAN: YEAR ONE arc, a gripping look back at the earliest days of Gotham City's most driven and pointy-eared vigilante. For my money and most everyone else's, this arc is near as monumental as Miller's THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS. It's certainly more noirish, more real, told on a more intimate stage. In the wake of BATMAN: YEAR ONE, DC soon churned out BATGIRL: YEAR ONE, JUSTICE LEAGUE: YEAR ONE, TEEN TITANS: YEAR ONE... You get the picture. Even Dynamite Entertainment's jumped on the bandwagon with its SHERLOCK HOLMES: YEAR ONE volume. Point being, BATMAN: YEAR ONE is so influential that it absolutely deserves an animated feature adaptation.

After living abroad for twelve years, 25-year-old Bruce Wayne, Gotham City's richest, most eligible bachelor, has come home to begin his crimefighting career and to kick off his perceived life of hedonism. No need to go into Bruce's childhood past. We know what happened and how it influenced the course of his life. But it's fascinating to eyeball Bruce Wayne as a rank amateur, still finding his legs, still bumbling about. His first sortie out in the crime-infested streets doesn't go well.

Except that I think of this arc as Jim Gordon: Year One even more so than Batman: Year One. It's a pure revelation meeting a young and badass Lieutenant Gordon, newly arrived to Gotham and living down a rep in Chicago as a badge what ratted out his fellow cops. He gazes around his new city and his bleak mood grows bleaker as he soaks in the city's widespread corruption. If ever a town needed cleaning up...

Adding to the misery is that Gotham's Finest are mostly dirty, and Gordon is advised by a crooked Lieutenant that cooperation amongst the boys in blue is key for survival (wink wink, nudge nudge). This advice falls on deaf ears. Jim Gordon is a righteous law enforcer. I don't know that he's a righteous husband to his pregnant wife. Not when his colleague is the attractive Detective Sarah Essen, diligently working on his cases, quiet temptation on long legs and voiced by Katee Sackhoff. What follows makes Jim Gordon a flesh and blood person, adds grays to his character.

BATMAN: YEAR ONE is also about how our two main characters came to form an alliance, the cop and the vigilante, essentially two sides of the same coin. We note how their respective story arcs spiral into their inevitable meeting and their wary regard of each other and the origins of a relationship based on mutual dependency. The vigilante who is assured that there's at least one honest cop in GCPD; the cop who takes comfort in knowing that someone on the outside has got his back. And I'll leave it up to you whether Jim Gordon in the end has actually sussed out the Batman's true identity.

Crooked cops. Rampant racketeering. A soiled dove named Selina Kyle inspired by the Batman's costume and derring-do (and voiced by Eliza Dushku). An effective low keyed noirish tone. Told from the alternating perspectives of Bruce Wayne and Jim Gordon. Both men get a chance to throw down. And while we're used to Batman's serving up all sorts of beatdowns, he's clearly not as polished, his moves and methods not yet perfected. It's unexpectedly thrilling to see Lt. Gordon claim vengeance on a crooked detective what had led an ambush on him. In a city of rampant lawlessness Gordon stands as an honorable but baaaaad mother. It's awesome watching him be this confident man of action, to see him dust off some martial arts moves. I love that while he doesn't talk smack, we're privy to what he's thinking. About to go toe to toe against a rival cop, he tosses him a bat and muses to himself: "It's been years since I had to take out a Green Beret. Even so, he deserves a handicap." Gordon proceeds to pwn the dirty cop.

BATMAN: YEAR ONE has a running time of 64 minutes which means that it's mostly lean, not much fat (you could argue that Selina Kyle's cameos are unnecessary, even if she was in Miller's source material). It's animated beautifully, but the only time I felt the artists were giving a nod to Mazzucchelli's style was when Wayne was in costume. Batman's visual design looks exactly how Mazzucchelli illustrated him. All in all, a laudable animated stab at one of the best Batman (and Jim Gordon) stories ever told.

The DC Showcase animated short (00:14:45 minutes running time) features Catwoman, again voiced by Eliza Dushku. It follows the pattern of previous DC Showcase shorts in that it is balls to the wall action, and the visuals are gorgeous and kinetic. But this isn't for the kids. There is implied nudity and, in pursuit of a pair of henchmen (they were shooting at a neighborhood cat), Catwoman ends up in a strip bar and takes a turn on the dance pole. Catwoman eventually comes face to face with the henchmen's boss, a vicious giant smuggler named Rough Cut. Theirs is a brutal rumble, with Catwoman receiving as good as she dishes out.

The DVD's other extras:

- JUSTICE LEAGUE: DOOM sneak peek (00:10:13 minutes long)
- ALL-STAR SUPERMAN sneak peek (00:10:45 minutes)
- GREEN LANTERN: EMERALD KNIGHTS sneak peek (00:11:36)
- trailer promoting the app for DC digital comics
on March 16, 2016
I am not a Batman devotee, so I can't get too esoteric here, but I can say that I enjoyed this animated flick very much. I will probably go back and watch it many times. Early on, I was thinking that the James Gordon character was too one-dimensional, too much of a straight arrow... "Who wants gum?" he asks some kids he just saved from a criminal goon. I was getting worried, but then, later, the movie, and Gordon, too, gets pretty damn twisted and dark.This story is cool, because it follows Gordon's beginnings in Gotham, along with Bruce Wayne's emergence as Batman. Also, the CatWoman short that is included in this package is completely wonderful, in a PG-13 kind of way (but I wish they had gone R with it). I checked out the credits and watched the included documentary, and then I was amazed to see that Frank Miller (Sin City) had written the story (graphic novel/comic book) for this. Cool. I love Frank Miller; I'd like to get more animated stuff that has this same kind of noir tone to it, so I'd be open to any recommendations, either in the Batman area, or in the general animated noir genre. Hey, I told you I'm not a Batman expert.
on February 22, 2016
Batman Year one in animated fashion. Does more really need to be said? Ok I will say little more. If you have liked some of the other DC animated movies you will enjoy this. It is one of my favorites up there with The Dark Knight Returns. Seeing these books turn into to movies is awesome I hope the makes tons of these.
on July 17, 2013
When Batman was 1 he was fighting crooked cops or street thugs. Making a real differnce. When I was I just ate and shit myself. No wonder he is Batman
on October 23, 2011
Very close to the original comic! Frank Miller's work brought to life with great animation and voice acting, I'm watching a second time to compare with the book, and it is worth it!
on November 25, 2011
I have to state the obvieous first, I am a hardcore Justice League fan, now that I have said that you will better understand my review.
This movie is so dark I love it, it is what Batman is all about, it truly represents the down and dirty, gritty, filth of a big city it is almost as if the writer of Year One spent a few months in the underbelly of a major U.S.city, they managed to capture the essence of places we dont want to be cought alone.

This movie has a great story and many moments that have that sweet "shock" value...you will find yourself staring at the screen with your mouth open thinking: NO WAY! This movie has a great start, middle and finish that will leave you satisfied and wanting more, good thing they added a Catwoman short that also has the shock value in it but not as much as Year One.

One thing I didnt like was the character of Selina Kyle was changed I will not get into details to avoid spoiling this movie for you.

I highly recommend this movie specially if you are a DC fan or even if you just like superhero cartoons.
on April 24, 2013
Adapted from Frank Miller's Batman #404 to #407 story arc. Of the two seminal arcs from Miller this one is probably darker in tone and action. The voice work for the most part is outstanding, but holding it back is Batman, played by Benjamin McKenzie. That's not to say it horrible, its just very monotone and there is very little in the way of character added, unlike Peter Weller in "The Dark Knight Returns" or Kevin Conroy in Batman: The Animated Series.
on November 3, 2011
If you liked Batman: Year One in graphic novel form, you won't be disappointed. The voices are really very good. Including Ben McKenzie- I didn't think he'd be good, but he did a great job. I don't why anyone would ever doubt Andrea Romano's work. She is simply the best at getting the right voices.

The animation was great, and was very close to the source material.

I'm actually amazed they got almost the full story into the movie, given the short length.

Buy it, and be happy.
on August 11, 2015
Absolutely awesome. You get the hardcover graphic novel, DVD, Blu-Ray, and digital copy for $15. You can't beat that. The discs are in a nice sleeve in the back of the hardcover. The Blu-Ray also includes special features. Miller's Year One is a must-read for anyone remotely interested in Batman