Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Shop for your business Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Beauty & Grooming Deals and savings in Woodworking Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 2,065 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,259 reviews
on November 15, 2011
We wanted optimum protection possible for our Ipad2 especially since we have two toddlers. After much review of different Ipad2 cases, my wife and I decided to go for the Griffin Survivor. Having served active duty in the Marines, I pushed for this product because unlike its competitors with almost similar protective design, only the Griffin Survivor has port covers! so come sand, rain, wind or shine this was going to be our be-all and end-all Ipad2 case. Well, at least that was the plan. The silicone that connects the bottom port cover is TOO THIN. A week after I started using it, the bottom port cover broke. Thinking that I may have received an anomaly, I contacted Amazon and immediately exchanged it for another...that ones bottom port cover BROKE FASTER THAN THE FIRST ONE(about 3 days). "You're only as strong as your weakest link," maybe I was unlucky with this product compared to others but this was my experience with the Griffin Survivor and with protection compromised, I cant recommend at this time. I will buy this product again once this design flaw is addressed.
3737 comments| 251 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2012
This Griffin Survivor case proved its worth when I wiped out trying to catch a train here in Chicago. It was dark and I tripped on an asphalt hump that I did not see. I had my iPad2 in my hand and the thing flew probably 10 feet as I wiped out. The Griffin did its job. The iPad2 came out of the ordeal better than I did. I'm still limping from the ordeal but the iPad2 was just fine. Now if Griffin would only make a protective case for klutzy iPad2 owners !
on December 7, 2011
My household has 2 iPads. I'm protecting one with this Griffin Survivor Case IPAD2 - Black and another with a substitute Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Series Case for Apple iPad 2, White-Black, (DS-IPAD2-WHI-BLK)that an Amazon marketplace vendor shipped when they were out-of-stock of these Survivor cases. I'm therefore in a position to compare the two!

Similarities: Survivor and Gumdrop cases both protect the full iPad -- front and back. Both provide transparent screen protection that they secure via integral hard plastic snap rings. Both wrap the body of the iPad in thick rubber. Both interconnect rubber body protection with a hard plastic ring that "grabs" the iPad body. In fact, whereas they differ in the degree to which they use their hard plastic (see difference, below), the manner in which the plastic grabs the iPad and simultaneously interlink with the rubber suggests that the same engineers designed both.

Differences:

Hard Plastic infrastructure:
The Survivor uses two interlocking hard plastic pieces -- a ring for the front and a hard shell for the back, whereas the Gumdrop uses a single plastic ring that simply "hugs" the iPad at opposite corners (no hard plastic on the back of the iPad). The Survivor therefore appears to offer more physical drop/bump protection than the Gumdrop.

Rubber Exterior:
The Survivor's rough, black rubber feels thicker and heavier. The Gumdrop's ribbed rubber feels smoother (more like silicone?), thinner and lighter.

Port, Button, Switch and Speaker Access:
The Survivor covers everything except the front-facing camera in rubber. Detents in the rubber help locate buttons that you press right through the rubber. Tabs indicate areas where you can pull away rubber coverings to expose ports, switches, rear camera, mic and speaker. The Survivor provides integral hard plastic holes in the case that are apparently intended to hold these pull-aways in place when you'd like to keep them exposed (to listen to sound through the speaker or take a picture with the rear camera, for instance). The holes don't work for this purposes, however, so taking a picture requires the user to hold the rubber pull-away open with one hand while working camera controls with the other. Not fun, but probably worth the hassle if you need ultimate protection.
The Gumdrop covers most iPad ports and switches, as well, yet it provides much more pronounced "knobs" to help you locate buttons you press through the rubber case as well as rubber pull-aways for port access. The Gumdrop offers a perforated grill in the rubber over the iPad speaker -- thus offering less apparent protection for the speaker, but eliminating the need to pull away anything to listen to iPad audio. The Gumdrop also full exposes the rear-facing camera, so again, there's less protection but much greater convenience.

'Net:
The Griffin Survivor covers everything on the iPad and therefore clearly offers better protection against bad weather and accidental spills. Its hard plastic + rubber body protection appears to offer greater drop & bump protection, as well. The trade-off is the inconveniece of having to pull away and hold rubber covers that block iPad elements you want to access (camera, mic and speaker).
The Gumdrop leaves camera, mic and speaker somewhat exposed. It does not integrate hard plastic into rear body protection. It feels slightly thinner and lighter. The Gumdrop's much more convenient when it comes to using camera, mike and speaker.

Guidance:
Get the Survivor if you need ultimate protection in a case that still lets you use your iPad, directly (i.e.: doesn't require you to open a box or lid to access the screen). The Survivor's clearly the choice if your primary concern is weather when using outdoors. I plan to use mine for hard duty travel and camping.
Get the Gumdrop if you want good protection (albeit with a few risks vs. the Survivor) and maximum convenience. My 10-year-old daughter uses the Gumdrop to take her iPad to/from school and she much prefers its convenient camera, mic and speaker access to the Survivor she used before I got the Gumdrop. She also likes the Gumdrop's color choices (hers is white).

All-in-all, I think the Gumdrop's compromises are minor and make the Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Series Case for Apple iPad 2, White-Black, (DS-IPAD2-WHI-BLK) the better choice for most who want a protective rubber case with integral transparent screen protection.
on June 23, 2012
I bought this to protect an iPad 2 from my young son who the iPad was for. He is pretty responsible, but we wanted to ensure that this expensive device was protected from the occasional accidental drop. Well, my son is only 3' tall and today the iPad slipped out of his hands and fell onto a linoleum floor from 2'. THe iPad's from display shattered. This "Super Military Grade" protective device that supposedly protects 6' drops to concrete couldn't take a single 2' fall to a softer surface. Having witnessed the fall of the device, it landed nearly completely flat on it's back, so this case should have absorbed the impact. It didn't do anything. I contacted Griffin support to get my money back for the case and they will not honor their warranty as they do not warranty against "accidents". This means that when their case fails to actually protect like it should, you are stuck holding the complete bag.

I will never buy a Griffin case again and strongly warn others that these cases don't actually protect like they claim.
on May 17, 2012
~~~UPDATE 5/18/12~~~
I just noticed that the Griffin case I received was a little different from the pictures, YouTube videos, and Griffin's website. I'm assuming that Griffin released an updated version because the case I received didn't have the problems that other reviewers mentioned. Some things that are different from the "older version":
1) the camera and speaker flaps swivel instead of having to attach it to a notch in the case to keep them open
2) the dock port is wider because I can use my iPad camera connection kit easily
3) the microphone (small hole on top of the iPad's rear) doesn't have it's own flap but instead have holes
4) putting the silicone layer on isn't as finicky to put on compared to the YouTube videos
5) redesigned plastic molding. The shape is different and when comparing the two versions I prefer this model

~~~ORIGINAL REVIEW 5/17/12~~~
I actually saw a customer at the Apple Store use this on their iPad 2 and thought how cool it looked. Wen the 3rd Gen came out I wished this would still be compatible with it and perfectly does. You may think it adds an excessive amount of bulk and weight to it and would make it feel clumsy but it makes it otherwise. Getting the case on the iPad was tricky because the manual was inside the case and prying it open took a couple of minutes and same thing with putting it on. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who likes to frequently swap iPad cases because this one will not come on and off easily.

The thickness it adds makes it more comfortable to hold the iPad because it gives it more girth. The integrated screen protector was a little different at first but doesn't compromise the sensitivity of the screen. I usually stray away from any kind of screen protectors out there because it degrades the quality of the screen but this one does nothing to the iPad's beautiful retina display. The flaps that cover the iPad's ports cover everything and doesn't look to be flimsy and break easily but I'll update this review if anything. The camera flap actually swivels so it doesn't have to be held while it's in use. Same thing goes for the speaker flaps. The buttons (sleep/wake, volume rocker, and home button) feel more comfortable and a bit easier to press so that's a plus. The stand it comes with is very practical because it has a low profile while attached to the case and can be detached easily. The legs of the stand are rubberized to avoid slippage so that's a nother plus.

Overall this case seems to be built pretty well and very comfortable to use as I am typing this whole review while it's on my iPad 3rd Gen. The price point (~$40 when I purchased) is totally worth it.
44 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 23, 2012
All the Griffin survivor cases for the new iPad are the following product numbers (GB35380, GB35379, GB35108, GB35111, GB35786, GB35434, GB35110, GB35451). They all begin with GB3####. The product Amazon is listing / selling is not compatible with the iPad 3. I purchased it in black, GB02480, and you cannot plug in the charger without removing the hard plastic case under the silicon sleeve.
on October 22, 2011
Easy to install, durable and offers great protection. I don't have to worry about the five year old dropping the iPad and breaking the glass.
on June 23, 2012
I bought the griffin case for my iPad 2 and I have extremely happy with it. I have two small children and I felt I needed a case that would protect my new machine from possible dings, scratches or drops. The case adds a substantial layer of protection, without too much bulk, although there is some. The built in screen protector is great, and there is no interference in the use of the iPad screen. I actually find the typing and screen experience even a little more pleasant. It is slightly less slippery than using the glass directly. The stand works well and integrates with the case so it's not an extra piece that you need to carry around with you. The case keeps dust and debris out of the ports, but unlike the other Griffin case (defender) the tabs can just turn to the side and you can listen to the speaker or use the camera without worry. I only have 2 complaints and they are minor. On this case you cannot use the stand in the tall mode just horizontal, also it only comes in limited colors. I bought pink because I liked the color also the black inner band helps with viewing of the screen. However, I would have liked a few more choices. But as a protective case goes, I recommend it highly
on November 11, 2013
DO NOT BUY THIS FROM THE SELLER "OVERSTOCK PARTS"!!!! Just confirmed it with Griffin that I recieved a counterfeit. It showed up with a stand that was broken. Also, one way to tell if you have a counterfeit is if the screen protector does not cover the front camera. Not happy at all. Hvae a complaint filed with Amazon and hope to hear something soon.
on February 4, 2015
We received a fake. This was confirmed by sending pictures directly to Griffin Tech Support. If you see one that is not full retail, assume it is not real. The package looked pretty good, though it didn't have a normal barcode on the back. We had trouble getting it on and off the ipad, which seemed suspicous. The quality of the molded rubber parts was awful. The little rubber knobs that should be flush inside the case stuck up quite a bit - like 1/4 inch. I called Griffin and they told me what parts to look at and asked for pics. They confirmed the fake and sent me a coupon to buy directly from them. We returned the fake and ordered a real one. Quite different, and easy to put on.
review image review image review image

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.