Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Griffin GB02534 Survivor Extreme-duty Military case for the new iPad (4th Generation), iPad 3 and iPad 2, Pink
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Discover it $5 Albums Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Halloween Amazon Cash Back Offer Dressmaker Dressmaker Dressmaker  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition BonIver Shop Now STEM

on June 6, 2011
I love the griffin survivor case. I love the soft yet grippy rubber feel. I love the integrated screen protector. I love the military grade protection that keeps it safe from the curious fingers and inevitable blunders of my daring 9 month old. This case has truly allowed my iPad to become this stay-at-home mom's best companion.

I was at first considering the Otter Box, but after reading reviews on the iPad2 version, I had my doubts that it would have the ruggedness I wanted. And it really isn't that attractive. I also would have had to install Ghost Armor or something to protect the screen - a process that would have kept me from using my new toy for an additional 24-48 hours above the shipping time for all the protective iPad gear. Not acceptable. I have not noticed any loss of touch response from the built in screen cover either. The Survivor is also pleasant to look at. Sure, it's not purple (everything should be available in my favorite color) but it has an elegance to its slight bulk - like the beautiful muscular definition of a dancer.

The included snap on is plenty functional. I was at first worried that, like every case other than the Otter Box, it would require a desk to be functional. Needless to say, as a stay-at-home mom, I am rarely at a desk. With the stand popped open I can still rest it on my lap and type easily. Case in point: I am currently sitting on the bed next to my daughter as she falls asleep. I have not any any trouble using the buttons or accessing any ports with this case, even though they are all completely covered.

Sadly, it does have its faults. It is not ideal for photographers on the go as the camera connection kit does not fit the plastic framing around the connection port. The framing does not interfere with the charging/sync cable but the camera connector pieces are wider than the charger plug and hit the plastic framing before the plug can meet the port. This is a supper bummer for me because part of the reason I got the iPad was so that I could more easily blog and post pictures of my little been sprout for family to see. With the camera connection kit I would have been able to pop the SD card into the iPad at any time and edit, post, and share. As it stands now, I'm still stuck being dependent on the desk top to sync recent pictures.

The only other minor complaint, very minor, is that I think I may still want some kind of travel case for it, just to provide a hard cover over the screen in certain situations - like packing a backpack for air travel. Like i said this is a very minor concern at the moment, considering that I haven't done, nor am I planning to do, anything about this in the near future.

To conclude, the Survivor case has a striking balance between rugged functionality and sleek sensory appeal, like expertly designed kevlar lined leather chaps and jacket on a motorcycle hottie. The only way Griffin could improve on this lovely yet tough case is to widen the plastic framing around the connection port to accommodate the camera connection kit, and perhaps design an accessory snap on hard cover for the screen. This cover would of course have to be compatible with the current snap on stand. I wouldn't want to have to take one off to use the other.
2121 comments| 290 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2011
--BE SURE TO READ UPDATE AT END!!---

I like this device, just not as bad as I really would like to; the plastic screen shield on it seriously detracts from its utility. Before writing this review I waited a few extra days to let my finger grease coat the screen shield, hoping to enable a smoother interfacing, however still no differance! my finger gets caught from the friction produced by the shield and finger. That is one thing otterbox always did well on was it screen guards. Besides the texture, the screen guard sits on top of the screen to high, creating an "air pocket" sensation. The texture and air pocket serious affects game playing and seriously hampers the ipad experience (finger on smooth glass). Even after a week of usage, both these issues are still very annoying.

Another issue with this product is its stand. Simply, it sucks. It falls over very easily and you cannot use it to set the ipad up in portrait mode. I leave the stand off to lessen the overall weight.

BTW the material used has the same "toughness" of otterbox's OtterBox Defender Series Hybrid Case for iPad 2 (APL2-IPAD2-20-E4OTR).

This prodcuts shortcomings wont prevent me from recommending it, but I will suggest that the MSRP of $70 is WAY to high, $50 is what I would consider its price ceiling (Ipad $42 for mine).

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!! after about 4-6 weeks of use my suspicious are true, the dock connector's rubber flap is junk!!! its tearing, its very thin and gets alot of use (usb sync cable). Bummer..Ill still leave it rated as 3-star item, but in order to get my money's worth I think an item like this should last at least a year!!! I guess ill see how long the flap can withstand the forces against it...

UPDATE...12/26/2011

After about 6months of use the rubber flap hasn't deteriorated anymore than the initial tear...prob more due to my care than the material design.... also the plastic screen protector was only a annoyance the first few days of having it, I havent had any issues with it since the initial break-in period... eventually, I stopped using the stand, it just sucks...... THIS IS WAAAYYYYY BETTER THAN THE OTTERBOX CASE!!!!! -changing rating to 5star,from 4-

UPDATE...summer 2012
The rubber flap finally tore off, no biggie. Everything else is fine. Great case. And as Ive written previously, the screen protector is fine to use. When i do replace my ipad2 for the ipad mini, i will search out this case for it first!
88 comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2012
This Griffin Survivor case proved its worth when I wiped out trying to catch a train here in Chicago. It was dark and I tripped on an asphalt hump that I did not see. I had my iPad2 in my hand and the thing flew probably 10 feet as I wiped out. The Griffin did its job. The iPad2 came out of the ordeal better than I did. I'm still limping from the ordeal but the iPad2 was just fine. Now if Griffin would only make a protective case for klutzy iPad2 owners !
on June 23, 2012
I bought this to protect an iPad 2 from my young son who the iPad was for. He is pretty responsible, but we wanted to ensure that this expensive device was protected from the occasional accidental drop. Well, my son is only 3' tall and today the iPad slipped out of his hands and fell onto a linoleum floor from 2'. THe iPad's from display shattered. This "Super Military Grade" protective device that supposedly protects 6' drops to concrete couldn't take a single 2' fall to a softer surface. Having witnessed the fall of the device, it landed nearly completely flat on it's back, so this case should have absorbed the impact. It didn't do anything. I contacted Griffin support to get my money back for the case and they will not honor their warranty as they do not warranty against "accidents". This means that when their case fails to actually protect like it should, you are stuck holding the complete bag.

I will never buy a Griffin case again and strongly warn others that these cases don't actually protect like they claim.
on August 5, 2012
I don't own the griffin survivor, but I just wanted to let interested consumers know that the Griffin GB02534 Survivor is the older version and that is why there are some complaints about the covers for the cameras not staying open and a bit of gap between the built-in screen and the Ipad's screen. The UPDATED version of the Griffin survivor (pink) is the GB35379 which now has HINGED port/camera covers and there's less gap between the built-in screen and the Ipad's screen. Hope this helps.
77 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2013
DO NOT BUY THIS FROM THE SELLER "OVERSTOCK PARTS"!!!! Just confirmed it with Griffin that I recieved a counterfeit. It showed up with a stand that was broken. Also, one way to tell if you have a counterfeit is if the screen protector does not cover the front camera. Not happy at all. Hvae a complaint filed with Amazon and hope to hear something soon.
on August 23, 2012
All the Griffin survivor cases for the new iPad are the following product numbers (GB35380, GB35379, GB35108, GB35111, GB35786, GB35434, GB35110, GB35451). They all begin with GB3####. The product Amazon is listing / selling is not compatible with the iPad 3. I purchased it in black, GB02480, and you cannot plug in the charger without removing the hard plastic case under the silicon sleeve.
on October 22, 2011
Easy to install, durable and offers great protection. I don't have to worry about the five year old dropping the iPad and breaking the glass.
on June 19, 2013
My mom bought this case for me on her account and we not only recieved it much later than expected, but when we put the screen protector on it had TONS of bubbles and was really ugly. We called Griffin about this and discovered it was a fake. DO NOT BUY THIS CASE IT IS FAKE.
review image
on June 23, 2012
I bought the griffin case for my iPad 2 and I have extremely happy with it. I have two small children and I felt I needed a case that would protect my new machine from possible dings, scratches or drops. The case adds a substantial layer of protection, without too much bulk, although there is some. The built in screen protector is great, and there is no interference in the use of the iPad screen. I actually find the typing and screen experience even a little more pleasant. It is slightly less slippery than using the glass directly. The stand works well and integrates with the case so it's not an extra piece that you need to carry around with you. The case keeps dust and debris out of the ports, but unlike the other Griffin case (defender) the tabs can just turn to the side and you can listen to the speaker or use the camera without worry. I only have 2 complaints and they are minor. On this case you cannot use the stand in the tall mode just horizontal, also it only comes in limited colors. I bought pink because I liked the color also the black inner band helps with viewing of the screen. However, I would have liked a few more choices. But as a protective case goes, I recommend it highly