Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 10 reviews
on May 21, 2014
I first read the "kid from Tomkinsville" series as a youngster growing up within walking distance of Ebbets Field and the Brooklyn Dodgers. Reading this book again in my silver years brought back an avalanche of memories, nostalgic thoughts of afternoons in the bleachers, stickball in the school yard and Popsicle league baseball in the Parade Grounds near Prospect Park. Thoughts about the fellows I played ball with, some of whom becaMe big league ball players. It was a much different time, many ways better, many ways worse than now. This book, like much good literature has the ability to stimulate memories and imagination in a way TV or movies can't, because the images it evokes are distinctly your own, not someone else's interpretation. Not the best written book ever, but one of the most entertaining reads for me personally, in a long time.
on December 12, 2012
I was a little skeptical about this book at first; I'm not into sports and I was worried that the book would be bogged down with a bunch of baseball references. It was just the opposite. The main character Roy Tucker serves in France during WW2 and story chronicles his journey from being in the Army to being a civilian again and his experience being a professional baseball player and having to re-familiarizing himself mentally and physically with the game.

This book is definitely a good read, perfect for boys or anyone looking for and inspirational story.
on August 18, 2015
I have read many baseball books, fiction and non-fiction but
this style of writing takes some getting used to. I finished it
but I am not sure I will read another of Mr. Tunis' books
on June 23, 2017
I found the book fantastic and very well written.
on June 3, 2014
I first read this book as a teenager and was even better than I recalled. The language was 1940ish but even that brought back fond memories of the days I read every John R. Tunis book I could get my hands on.
on November 29, 2014
This book is boring, did not like it, it should really be a book more about the game instead of Roy's injuries.
on February 24, 2013