Check out Santa's new ride Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 23, 2017
Bought this "top of the line" MacBook in Sept. 2012. It quit functioning in 2016. Found out from a third-party that the computer has a design flaw and Apple was repairing them for free. Never informed by Apple. Now it has failed again. Same problem again. Apple said they would fix it for $600.00. The third-party repair shop does not repair this problem and they know people who have had the problem "fixed" three or four times. You would think the most valuable company on Earth would replace this lemon for free or half price, but I guess that would be bad for their God-like image.
on April 4, 2012
overall im loving this macbook pro so far. i even did my first school project on it (im in an adult high school program at my local community college) and found the ability to have multiple home screens (such as with linux) a great help, and the fact that mac's have the added benefit of being able to run virtually any software a school would require is great.

ive tried the computer out for wow and beathazard already and found the performance astounding for the specs (namely graphics card) of the machine. my only gripes would be the trackpads built in mouse (ive already ordered, from amazon, the logitech bluetooth mouse that is listed on apples website) and the graphics card, as well as the screen resolution. for $2000 i would have expected 1080p resolution (though i did know before hand that its only 1440x900...but still) and at least a 6950 graphics card (lets be honest...a 6770 is the ultimate budget card and 2000 dollars is a lot of money).

for an overall impression im extremely impressed with this product, and it is also my very first apple product ever owned, so im still super excited. i have noticed the battery drains rather quickly even with the screen and keyboard backlights dimmed without running itunes or anything really except for firefox to write this review...im not sure what i can do in order to up the battery life or if its just like that (though its supposed to get 7 hours of battery while browsing the web, no games included...hmm ill be calling the apple store tomorrow about this.)

ANYWAY! thanks for reading and i hope this has helped out immensely, thanks for your time and i highly recommend this product or a higher level of it! :)
on May 25, 2013
The macbook pro is almost everything I hoped for. Great design quality and screen. Very comfortable keyboard, and OS X mostly just works. There are a few annoyances though:

1. The fan kicks in and is very loud under relatively little load. This doesn't seem to be unique to my laptop, my coworkers who own the same model report the same issue. Unfortunately, it is so loud it can be heard when talking to someone on the phone by the person at the other end.

2. The battery life is terrible. 2-3 hours max. Again, not unique to my laptop. It's more of a portable desktop than something that can be used unplugged.

3. The hard drive performance is terrible. IU don't recall my intel mac mini being dog slow. As my macbook has 16GB RAM and there was nothing else running this is disk related. After about 6 months of frustration at an awesome machine being crippled by the disk I upgraded to a WD Scorpion Black a couple of days ago. Night and day difference.

I'd certainly buy another macbook pro, it's a great machine.
on March 30, 2012
Apple continues to impress me now with their MacBook Pro. I'm a die hard Windows user, but I decided months ago to continue migrating to Apple. I started with the first iPad, then an iMac 27, and now the laptop. I bought the basic 15" model, but instead or paying Apple prices for memory and storage upgrades, I bought a package thru Amazon and saved $$$$. It took about an hour overall, including the time to clone the original mechanical hard drive onto a solid state drive. I followed the instructions, and upgraded RAM from 4GB to 8GB. paid $39 instead of $400 to Apple, even though I own Apple shares. Anyway the machine screams now. Boot up is amazing. Fetching a document, or starting a program is almost instantly, like using the iPad. I will never go back. Watch Amazon, though. They dropped the price of the SSD $65 a few days after I bought it. Their policy is that you do not get the price reduction. Frustrating!
on July 29, 2012
This is perfect time to start buying a MacBook Pro. Just like the stock market this is a buying time for this product. The new ones are so over priced and over powered that you don't all that power unless your in an industry that demands it. This laptop does everything I need and more. I have also modified it to have two hard drives and run two operating systems. The iCore 7 dishes out anything I throw at and the 8gb of RAM supports it. When I modded my Mac I added an SSD drive which just made it just as good as those over priced new ones. This model is a early 2011 and its byfar still top of the line. And yes you can game with it.The video card in these Mac's are perfect for some mid-range gaming. You might get away with playing Crysis2 if you set it up right. This is my first Mac and I know it will last me a long time. Make sure you look for a used one in good condition and communicate with the seller so that you know what you are getting into. Once again, if you have always been in the market for a Mac, now is the time. Look for someone that is trying to get ride of their current one for a new one. They have no idea how much money they are really throwing away. For a regular PC owner these Macs' will last you a long time.
on December 23, 2012
I have always been a Windows user but decided to purchase a Macbook due to several friends telling me how great and reliable Macs are. My machine was loaded with the Lion OS, and while I didn't find the interface to be as wonderful as I was told, I was fairly satisfied with my experience until last week. My hard drive died. I backed up my data regularly, so this was only a disappointment in having to spend the additional money on a new one within a year of purchasing the laptop. However, retrieving the OS through Internet Recovery has been a nightmare. I can't simply download the software from a PC and then load it to my Mac. That's not an option at all. It must be downloaded from the non-functioning Mac through Apple's servers that error out every time I try to download it through Internet Recovery. I connected the machine via ethernet cable to my modem and temporarily turned off network security in order to download the OS. To absolutely no avail, it never would download! Because this wasn't under warranty, I would be charged $100 for an authorized repair provider to load it to my machine. Absolutely ridiculous! Apple advertises there is no need to purchase a copy of the OS (and no longer offers another way to purchase a copy of it), since it can be retrieved through Internet Recovery. That method should work! I've checked and double-checked, and there is no reason on my end for these Internet recovery errors to continuously occur. Since Apple no longer sells the thumb drive with Lion loaded, I had to go through a third party to purchase it (still less than taking it to a repair shop). Should I have created my own recovery thumb drive prior to this occurring? Clearly, I'd say yes now, and have always created bootable cd's for my PC's in the past. However, Apple advertises a service that supposedly allows the user to always have access to the OS in emergencies such as these, but it fails to deliver as advertised. This is a big issue, in my opinion, and has definitely turned me off of their overpriced products.
on February 19, 2017
Stopped working after one month. Waste of time glad i got my money back.
on October 4, 2016
The condition which it arrived in was very pleasing to me. I have upgraded the ram and it feels like the computer I always wanted. After updating to Sierra, there is a bit of glitch with maybe the video card at the beginning when it is starting up, I don't know if it is the graphics card or if it is a common issue with Sierra now, I hope this moment of graphical distortion will be rectified with the next OS update.
on November 28, 2012
I went through a few laptops before I was finally satisfied. I originally had a 15" Samsung laptop that suited my purposes well, and I did some very light gaming on it. However, I missed having a Mac..in college I had a little white MacBook that I loved the entire time of using during my 5 years of college. I sold it to a friend and decided to buy a 13" MacBook Pro. While it was a decent computer in its own right, I missed gaming. The integrated graphics on a 13" MacBook Pro just wouldn't cut it. That said, I splurged and bought a heavy duty ASUS Republic of Gamers gaming laptop. The thing was a beast of a machine...I mean, it was *awesome*.

However, I just prefer having a Mac. I love OSX, the smoothness, the user-friendliness, and the overall feel of the OS better than Windows. I use Windows at work every day, and I dual boot via Boot Camp, so I'm very comfortable with both of the OS'. Windows 7 was a great OS, almost as good as XP in my honest opinion, and one of the better products Windows created. With the release of Windows 8, however, I do not like their direction...but that's a different story for a different review, yes?

Finally I decided to get a higher-end MacBook Pro and chose this model. I fell in love instantly, with the quad core i7 to the fantastic trackpad to the elegant unibody design. And now that I've got a dedicated (and decent) graphics card, I can play some of the games I want. Granted, I am more of a console gamer...but I'd be lying if I didn't say I like to pop in Team Fortress 2, Diablo III, or Battlefield 3 amongst a few other games every now and then.

And don't get me wrong, you will *not* be able to run Battlefield 3 on Ultra settings on this laptop, but it will run quite well on Medium settings, which makes me more than happy. I was able to tweak and get Skyrim up to high/ultra at 25-30 FRAPS. That said, if you've never owned a Mac, or if you're curious, there's nothing else like it. I personally believe that you should use what you like, fanboys tend to ruin brands being over-loyal and hating on another for some reason. For me, I'm happiest being a consumer that has the option to use whatever I want for whatever need I have at that time. I highly recommend a MacBook pro to anyone, from college students to the elderly.
on July 29, 2017
I ordered this used MacBook and it arrived in a timely faction. I turn it on and the battery needed to be charged. I I connected the charger and the charging indicator light refused to turn on. I did all I could to get it working based on instructions from the web but to no avail. The MacBook finally died so I had to return it. And secondly it was running very very slow.