Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 541 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 566 reviews
on September 20, 2011
Fits perfectly into all 40, 60, and 80 GB Fat Models, this review does not excludede the slim models, however I do not own a slim and therefore am unable to test the compatibility. The PS3 automatically formats the HDD upon start up and takes roughly 30 seconds!
88 comments| 200 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2013
This works very well for my ps3. In fact, it is one of the few (maybe the only one) of the 1tb drives that is both the correct speed and thickness to work. I would definitely recommend this to anyone with a ps3 looking to upgrade their storage space. It is also a good idea to consider using a digistor usb ps3 backup to backup your old hard drive first.
இ Fuzzy Wuzzy's Summary:
ѾѾѾѾѾ Highly recommended with warm fuzzies!

I have two of these 1-TB drives installed in a laptop that is often used for the editing of photos, images, and very large video files. I had originally considered getting two of the faster 7200-RPM "Scorpio Black" series drives. But the largest "Black" drive is 750 GB, and for my purposes of needing storage space more than speed, the 2 TB of disk space from having two of these 1-TB drives installed in my laptop is significantly more important than having 500-GB less space by installing two of the faster 7200-RPM 750-GB "Black" drives.

The 9.5mm-height form factor of this drive means that it can fit inside most laptops. The drive was shipped from Amazon using Amazon's "Frustration-Free Packaging" of a cardboard box and molded cardboard holding the drive inside the box. There are four threaded inserts on the two longer sides of the drive for use with standard mounting screws; no mounting screws or hard drive bracket/caddy are provided with this hard drive. This drive is rated at a very quiet 22 dBA sound level when idle, and 25 dBA when the drive is seeking/reading/writing. With two of these drives installed inside my laptop, I can only barely hear the drives' operations in a quiet room when my ears are about one to two feet away from the drives' location inside the laptop and the drives are actively reading/writing. When the laptop is idle, I do not hear the drives at all. And even if this hard drive is actively seeking/reading/writing, its tiny sound is masked by my laptop's fan noise even if the fan starts running from its slowest speed.

When tested using the "HD Tune" hard drive performance benchmarking tool, it turns out that this 5400-RPM Scorpio Blue drive compares favorably to the 7200-RPM Scorpio Black drives, even though the faster Black drives also have a 16-MB cache compared to the smaller 8-MB cache on the Blue drives. On my installed 1-TB drives, HD Tune reported a minimum/maximum/average read speed of 56, 115, and 89 MB/sec, and a minimum/maximum/average write speed of 42, 113, and 88 MB/sec. This is only about 10% to 15% slower than the performance of the largest-capacity 750-GB Scorpio Black drive. This 5400-RPM drive is slightly faster than Seagate's 7200-RPM Momentus drive, and it even compares favorably to Seagate's Momentus XT Hybrid Drive. This drive's random access read and write times are also comparable to both the 7200-RPM Scorpio Black and Seagate's 7200-RPM Momentus drives.

Western Digital offers an "Acronis TrueImage" that can be downloaded from their Web site to let you copy all your data from an old drive to a new drive so you do not have to reinstall your operating system to get all the benefits of a new drive. If you do replace your main system drive, you can either use cloning software such as "Acronis True Image" to mirror all your system files and applications back onto the new drive, or you can perform a fresh OS install and reinstall all applications that you were using. The advantage of cloning your system files and applications is that it is much faster to put everything back onto the new drive. The advantage of performing fresh installs of the OS and applications is that it can often declutter your files and free up hundreds of megabytes of space (which is like totally cleaning out a basement that has accumulated years of stuff).

If you are trying to decide between the 7200-RPM Scorpio Black drive (or some other faster 7200-RPM mobile-form-factor drive), the "Black" drive will be about 10% to 15% faster than this "Blue" drive. Although I am using two of these drives for photo/video editing and two 7200-RPM 750-MB Scorpio Black drives would have performed faster when editing very large HD video files, this drive has pretty good performance and two of these drives do not use as much energy or generate as much heat as two 7200-RPM drives. If you frequently use your laptop unplugged and you want to maximize the number of hours that you can run on battery power, two 5400-RPM drives drain the battery less than two 7200-RPM drives. The Scorpio Black drives already use less power than many 7200-RPM laptop drives. But these Scorpio Blue drives use 20% less power when reading/writing and 25% less power when idling than the Scorpio Black drives. I love that I can pack 2-TB of reliable, quiet, inexpensive, and take-it-with-me portable storage into my laptop without needing to bring along external hard drives. I can dream about the day that it becomes affordable to equip a laptop with two 1-TB SSD drives, but for now, this 5400-RPM drive is really not that much slower compared to most 7200-RPM drives.

I rely both on my own research and the opinions of others to help me make informed buying decisions. I hope that this review helped you to be a wise shopper! :)
on October 11, 2012
After reading many reviews about which drive to choose for an upgrade (Seagate Spinpoint vs Western Digital Scorpio Blue), there were much more positive reviews for the Western Digital drive overall. Some have mentioned that the Seagate drive sometimes is not detected by the PS3 (depending whether it's the slim or fat version), so I decided to buy this drive instead. I am upgrading my old (fat version) PS3 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle that I bought a couple of years back. The installation was successful and easy to do. After booting up the PS3 with the new hard drive, it will format it accordingly and the total amount of GB will be 931GB after system files are installed. So far, my PS3 is humming along nicely with no problems at all. This WD 1TB drive is a definite must for those who want to give their old PS3 a "tune up" to last another few years before the next generation console makes it obsolete. I definitely recommend this drive!

Instructions on installing new hard drive into PS3:
-Back up all of your saved data onto an external HDD drive (make sure it's formatted to FAT32 or else the PS3 will not read it) via the PS3 menu
-Replace the old PS3 hard drive (mine was Seagate branded) with the WD 1TB Scorpio Blue HD.
-Turn on PS3 and it should ask you if you want to format it before use. Click Yes and after format, go back to the PS3 menu and select restore backup.
-Enjoy!
on September 4, 2011
Put this in a MacBook to upgrade to 1TB. Fitted well, works well. Painless installation and now lots of room for Lion.
44 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2014
I needed waaaaay more gb in my ps3,as it was orig a paltry 80gb model.so i quickly ordered this 1tb monster!ps3 used a bit of hdd for system ok?so don't expect 100% of the 1tb use!but u still get majority of this hdd for games/movies/music/photos etc.its much faster accesssing info etc!i love it.i had a wd brand 500gb i put in another ps3,but sold tht to a buddy frm work.&went back for this one for western digitals reliability factor.its very very quiet too&never ever gets warm!flawless operation.def recommend to any1 looking to upgrade a laptop or compatible game console or evn replacement in a hdd enclosure unit etc.got it on sale at good price here also!Amazon saved me serious coins as usual lol.no worries here
on January 26, 2015
If you're looking to use this for a mid 2009 Macbook Pro DO NOT get this drive! I bought this based on another review that said it worked fine in their Macbook. It will appear to work and then you will get the beach ball of death and won't be able to use your computer. I was just running out of space on my original 320 gb hard-drive and needed to upgrade. After hours of research I ended up going with the HGST Travelstar 2.5-Inch 1 TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s 8MB Cache Internal Hard Drive Kit 0S03508 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EC4O76/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which is working fantastic! I just want to save you a headache from hours of reading random threads if you've been dealing with upgrading a 2009 Macbook.
on March 9, 2013
I buy this drive for USD$80.99, was a little bit more expensive than other options when I was evaluating my options, because I have a good experience with a Samsung 1Tb hard drive and was ok but this time I was looking for a better brand since my plan is to place this drive inside a Xbox 360, so the temperature and reliability of the drive are really important for me this time.

So it arrived in an excelent package, I perform a full format and scandisc and there was no problems all the clusters where available to store my info and that was great.

I also tryed the drive on a dock (Thermaltake DualX), worked great and in a enclosure (sabrent) also performs perfect.

So this was great purchase, for the price could be cheaper to buy a 1TB MyPassport, but I was looking to have the flexibility to place the drive inside the Xbox not as an external drive.
on May 12, 2013
I purchased this product to upgrade my MacBook Pro. I knew that Western Digital had a good name and thought this would be a no brainer. I took the Hard Drive to a registered Apple technician. They installed it and powered it up at the shop, but went black as soon as I got home and all my data was lost.

Fortunately I still had the original drive that had been in my MacBook Pro and the technician was able to recover my data . The shop then replaced my WD with one of their own WD drives that they had tested first. The technician said at the time that a number of WD products had been destroyed in a Tsunami and the company had rushed to fill orders. He had a number of them that he was returning. Hopefully the product line has been re-established.

UPDATE: A year later, my WD hard drive is performing OK.
on December 8, 2013
Used this WD 1 TB Laptop Hard Drive on my new PS3 Slim. I transferred my old PS3 data to my new PS3 Slim with this WD 1 TB 2.5 Inch Hard Drive. So far, its like there is no difference which is perfect. I have had no corrupt files in the data transfer. Everything is seamlessly smooth. I had a WD 250 Gig HD in my 7 year old PS3 system. It never had any problems. That's why I always go with Western Digital Hard Drives. My old PS3 system was starting to breath hard. I mean the fan went into hyper drive to cool the CPU when playing newer more graphic intense PS3 games. But that WD Hard Drive is still good!