Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 541 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 566 reviews
on September 20, 2011
Fits perfectly into all 40, 60, and 80 GB Fat Models, this review does not excludede the slim models, however I do not own a slim and therefore am unable to test the compatibility. The PS3 automatically formats the HDD upon start up and takes roughly 30 seconds!
88 comments| 200 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2011
Put this in a MacBook to upgrade to 1TB. Fitted well, works well. Painless installation and now lots of room for Lion.
44 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2013
Used this WD 1 TB Laptop Hard Drive on my new PS3 Slim. I transferred my old PS3 data to my new PS3 Slim with this WD 1 TB 2.5 Inch Hard Drive. So far, its like there is no difference which is perfect. I have had no corrupt files in the data transfer. Everything is seamlessly smooth. I had a WD 250 Gig HD in my 7 year old PS3 system. It never had any problems. That's why I always go with Western Digital Hard Drives. My old PS3 system was starting to breath hard. I mean the fan went into hyper drive to cool the CPU when playing newer more graphic intense PS3 games. But that WD Hard Drive is still good!
on August 28, 2012
I bought this drive a few months ago as an additional drive for my MacBook pro. I replaced the DVD super drive with an mce technologies tray and this drive. It works great. The fit was perfect and so far no worries. I double checked the warranty with western digital and i have the full 2 year warranty. All in all, a great experience
on December 21, 2012
I purchased this hard drive as a secondary drive in my Lenovo T520 laptop on Ubuntu 12.04 OS. It works perfectly. I had to order a hard drive caddy separately to fix it in the laptop.
on October 26, 2013
Yeah, it's 5400 RPMs, so it's definitely not the fastest drive out there, but this thing is a work horse.
on November 17, 2015
Bought this for my ps3 bought a 2tb for my ps4
on August 21, 2011
Bought this to replace the first WD 1TB drive that was 12.5 mm Western Digital 1 TB Scorpio Blue SATA 3 Gb/s 5200 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard Drive - WD10TPVT. There was nothing wrong with the other one, I just wanted to put my OWC 240GB SSD back in the HDD spot and fit this into the optical drive spot. I used an OWC Data Doubler for this and it works a treat. The previous drive I had was 12.5 mm tall and so I had to put the SSD in the optical drive spot and the HDD in the normal spot (this being in an early 2011 17 inch MBP). This drive is nice and quiet, obviously has a ton of space and it sips power. Transfer speeds are very good, I used FW800 to copy everything over before I installed it and I was getting 85 megabytes per second on the high end and 60-65 on the low end. If you need a slimmer 1TB 2.5 inch laptop drive for massive storage then this is the drive for you. It's a really great drive and will fit in anything that will accept a 9.5 mm 2.5 inch HDD. For those of you with MBPs this will fit in the optical drive spot no problem and OWC sells the Data Doubler that is extremely well made for a great price. Coupled with an OWD 240GB SSD (dual booting OS X and Windows 7) I average 10 second cold boots, have a ton of extra space for both OSes (have a partition set up for both OSes without a single hiccup), and my battery life took a minimal hit. Used to get 6.5 hours out of a charge with just my SSD, I get about 5.5 to 6 hours now. That drop is well worth having all your data in one place without an external drive mucking up the works and Time Machine backs up both drives to my old WD 1TB (Western Digital 1 TB Scorpio Blue SATA 3 Gb/s 5200 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard Drive - WD10TPVT)drive at a smoking fast rate. If you're looking for a very fast drive with a ton of space and sips power then this drive is for you! It's a screaming deal so pick one up quick, you won't regret it.
1111 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2013
This works very well for my ps3. In fact, it is one of the few (maybe the only one) of the 1tb drives that is both the correct speed and thickness to work. I would definitely recommend this to anyone with a ps3 looking to upgrade their storage space. It is also a good idea to consider using a digistor usb ps3 backup to backup your old hard drive first.
on March 4, 2012
My first thought on receiving the box with the drive in it was that it almost felt empty. I own a laptop computer but I've never had cause to remove the hard disk. I was impressed by Seagate's CFII-sized hard disks but those only hold -- as far as I know -- a maximum of 8GB. This HDD is, in comparison, almost incredible. I did some reading and it seems as though WD's engineers are pushing the boundaries of physics and electromechanical engineering with this little beast (and basically hit a brick wall as far as capacity in this form factor). So, if you've been waiting to upgrade your PS3 to the largest possible hard disk that will fit, wait no longer!

Backing up the drive of my CECH-2001A (120GB - 4GB of free space) took about three hours using a freshly-formatted 2.5TB USB external drive (guiformat.exe will FAT32 a 2.5TB drive in a matter of seconds). Installing the drive in the PS3 took a few of minutes (mostly spent fumbling with the tiny screws). The PS3 formatted the drive quickly and began installing the newest (4.11) firmware from the USB disk (X:\PS3\UPDATE\PS3UPDAT.PUP). I cancelled out of the "setup" and began restoring the backup from the USB disk (at which time the PS3 formatted the hard disk -again-). The restoration process took a little more than four hours (I had a lot of stuff on that 120GB disk). All of my settings were intact but most of my themes had disappeared (they were still available through my PSN download history, though, so everything was back to "normal" in just a few minutes).

I didn't think to do a before/after comparison but I'd swear that it goes from "standby" to "usable" a few seconds faster than it did with the stock hard disk. This is not advertised as a "performance" drive and I don't expect 7200RPM speed out of it (and I won't have to deal with the heat or ridiculous power consumption of a 7200RPM drive). I've had zero problems with it so far (but it's only been in use for a day). I'll probably update this review in a few months to give a progress report. I'm hoping that I'll never have to worry about WD's warranty. I've known their products to be quite robust if treated with respect. Never move the drive for any reason while it's still spinning and it ought to last for years and years (my oldest WD drive is over 10 years old and it's still holding data).

My PS3 now has ~750GB of free space. That level of "future proof" is well worth the price of this drive as far as I'm concerned. Not having to delete PSN games (or old game data from disc-based games) just to play a new demo/game is PRICELESS! I also have enough disk space to start importing my CD collection (which will make GT5 much more enjoyable). I'm not happy about having to use MP3 (instead of FLAC) but >192kbps is generally acceptable (and if I'm paying that much attention to the music while gaming, it can't be a good game)...
33 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse