Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: What's Age Got to Do with It?: Living Your Happiest and Healthiest Life
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Joseph Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

on January 29, 2009
After thoroughly reading this book with as open a mind as I could, I can honestly say I struggled to find good things to say about it. The author claims that her intention in writing it is to help influence other women - average women - to take better care of themselves and be in the best physical shape they can be as they age gracefully. I do not see how the average woman can be inspired by a woman who constantly reminds her readers throughout the book how naturally thin she is; how easy it is for her to exercise; how lucky she is to be able to afford the best of everything. I nearly put the book down when Robin felt the need to point out that the camera adds ten pounds - that she is actually much thinner in person.

It seems to me that the kind of woman most likely to be drawn to this book are truly average women; women who are struggling with their weight; women who cannot afford thousands of dollars on spa treatments; women who don't walk around in Robin's favorite four-to-six inch heels. Robin's list of beauty products and cosmetics that she "simply can't go without" contained very few items that the average woman would even know where to find, yet be able to afford. The average woman looking for inspiration to help her better her life needs advice from, well... an AVERAGE woman.

This book was not for me, only because I struggled to see the good advice behind the author's maddeningly smug personal narrative. I'm sure it was in there somewhere. Was I inspired? No. How can I relate when I never have to worry about Michael Bolton showing up at my door when my hair looks terrible? I do not recommend this book for it's health and beauty advice. If you're a soap opera fan, though - you may be entertained.
66 comments| 176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2009
I heard of this book when Ms. McGraw appeared several months ago on the Oprah Winfrey show to talk about her experiences with bioidentical hormone replacement therapy. I borrowed the book from the local library, and after reading it, was glad I had not spent money to purchase it. The chapter on bioidentical hormones was a rehash of what she had said on Oprah, that she wasn't willing to just "accept" the diagnosis of menopause and after much research, she decided to start on a protocol of bioidentical hormones instead of synthetic hormones and the antidepressants that so many women take for menopausal symptoms. She also spoke of how she called her family together for a meeting to tell them she was in menopause (I guess the point was to counsel women that it shouldn't be a taboo subject, but it came across as a Robin feeling like the world should revolve around her because she is feeling menopausal).
Her husband's show, the Dr. Phil Show, did an entire program recently on biodientical hormone replacement therapy----while I had high hopes the show would be truly educational on this very important topic, it came across as being a one hour infomercial for the book, and most of the guests were specifically presented as being "saved" by Robin as she took them to her personal BHRT physician. What made me angry is that the Oprah shows totally ignored the issues of financial costs and insurance coverage (or lack thereof) and many women assume that bioidentical hormone replacement therapy is something only wealthy women can afford----and the Dr. Phil Show did nothing to clarify those issues, and Robin only made passing mention of the issue in the book. Hundreds of posts to the show's website were filled with angry comments about how Robin is clueless to how real women live and can't afford to run from doctor to doctor looking for answers. If the show wanted to dedicate a whole hour to promoting her book, I wish they had used one of the other chapters, and had the subject of BHRT be covered by doctors and others who really know what they are talking about (without cutting constantly to Robin posing for the cover of the book). Women (of all ages, this is not just a menopausal issue) are suffering tremendously and are being dangerously overmedicated because of hormonal imbalances, and yet this book just seemed to push the "it will stop the aging process and you will look much better" angle of BHRT.
VINE VOICEon January 6, 2009
I like Robin, and enjoy seeing her when she is on the show. I had high hopes for this book, as I enjoyed her first one. However, this book was a huge disappointment. If you read magazines or watch television at all, you won't get any information here you haven't already heard numerous times. I guess if I had her money, I could afford to look younger the way she does. But for the rest of us, the average women in America, this book was a big waste of money.
44 comments| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2009
Fortunately, I got this book from the library which I often do before investing in a book. I took some notes from reading it and was prepared to buy the book UNTIL I used Robin's "recipe" for a morning drink to jump start your metabolism and energize your day. Since I have returned the book I can't tell you what page the "recipe" is on but it is in a highlighted gray box. She says to mix 1 CUP of Apple Cider Vinegar, 1 CUP of warm water and 1-2 Tablespoons of concentrated lemon juice. I managed to drink it down but OH MY GOD! It burned in my throat, it burned in my esophagus and it burned in my stomach for hours. I lost count of how many Tums and antacids I used that day. Several days later, determined to better my health and appearance, I thought "OK - I'll start out in smaller proportions and build up to her recommendation." This time I mixed 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar and 1-1/2 cups warms water and just 2-3 drops (not Tablespoons) of lemon juice. This time I gagged it down. OH MY GOD again - It burned just as badly and within minutes I vomited it up so it could burn my stomach, esophagus and throat a second time on the way back up. From that moment on I thought - NO WAY! I don't believe for a second that Robin drinks this.
I went to the Dr. Phil website and e-mailed the situation to Robin under the link "Ask Robin a Question." No response from anyone. Not Robin, not a staff member, no one. One would think they could be courteous enough to say, "Yup, there was a typo that the publisher missed and we are so sorry that this happened to you." One would also think that there should be a published notice on the web from Robin and/or the publisher acknowledging this typo/misprint.
Nothing.
Snooping around the web, I found others who posted this drink as 1-2 TABLESPOONS (NOT 1/2 CUP) of the vinegar to 1 cup of water. Huge difference.
I just wonder if there is this typo, what else is wrong in the book. Why can't someone have the decency to acknowledge the error? With the wrong medical condition, this typo could cause internal bleeding in some people.
I admire Dr. Phil's work and Robin's as well, but there is some "righting of the wrong" that needs to be done in regards to this book.
77 comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2009
I eagerly awaited this book but after reading it am disappointed. What I realized part way through the book is that this book is really about Robin, not about (or necessarily for) the rest of us. While the information is useful it probably would be most useful for younger women looking for ways to stay healthy as they age. The title would need to be revised as I also realized that by the time women might be looking for a book with this title (and presumed subject matter), they have already read much of what is revealed in this book during their 20s, 30s, and 40s, in other books and magazine articles. I saw an advertisement for this book in a magazine and there was not much detail given on the contents; so perhaps I was just expecting something different. Carefully review this book before making the investment in reading it so you won't feel like saying to yourself: "What's this book have to do with it?".
99 comments| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 11, 2009
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I picked this title up for my wife, who is a fan of Robin's. It's hard to believe Mrs. McGraw when she claims this title is to help average women, when it is written like a self-serving love letter from her own ego. There are few parts that don't feel completely disingenuous, and they tend to be the dry parts of information pretty much everyone already knows (I'm guessing these are the parts her editor added). Overall, I'm sure Robin thinks she sounds like an approachable Christiana Northrup, but comes across like a spoiled elitist. I don't mean to sound bitter; and indeed, I'd gone to this title for inspiration, there just isn't much better to be said for this book.
on January 22, 2009
I've had this book for about 2 1/2 weeks now and am finally getting around to reading it and posting my review. I am one of those people, that when a book is really good (in my opinion), I can't put it down until I've finished with it. This book was not one of those books for me.

I admire Robin McGraw for how well she is doing and the shape she is in at the age of 55, but in the first chapeter when she cites all the experts she worked with - a lot in the "industry" in California, it makes it a little daunting for the rest of us.

The book is broken down with each chapter dealing with a different aspect of a woman's life. Some chapters were more beneficial than others to me. I did find a lot of good information in the chpater on nutrition. As a woman entering menopause and having a daughter on the verge of puberty, I am always looking for ways to improve our eating habits and health through nutrion. What is presented here is doable and not an extreme overhaul of a lifestyle.

The chapter on skin care for me was a little bit much. Due to the fact that the economy is what it is right now, it's difficult for me to justify any sort of spa treatments or high end skin care regimin that she recommends. There are some home remidies that she also spells out, but even those are a little too much work for me.

While I would not have bought this book for myself, I am thankful for the opportunity to read it. It is not a book that you can read cover to cover in just a few days. There is a lot of information to absorb and digest. I would recommend reading it a chapter at a time or even skip around to the chapters that most interest you first, then go back and read the others.

One piece of advice she stresses through out is that as women we don't take care of ourselves and don't know our bodies the way that we should. With that I couldn't agree more. We have to take care of ourselves; mentally, physically, and spiritually, if we are going to be any good to anyone else.
on May 2, 2009
took this book out of the library. it's all about Robin, Robin, Robin. She's attractive but sooooo into herself. i don't want to read about her "grueling" workout, i want advice ON workouts. Don't buy this book, you'll waste your money.
on June 15, 2011
I didn't even know who Robin McGraw was when I bought this book. In my mid-50s I was looking for some tips on midlife skincare, energy boosts, and mental attitude. This book did NOT do that. Robin obviously thinks a lot of herself. She thinks everyone wants to be just like her. Like a previous post, I am also a breast cancer survivor. Chapter 5 should be skipped by everyone! You should discuss any type of hormone replacement with your physician. Shame on Robin for even thinking she could give advice in this area. I also disagreed with her fashion advice. She said she wasn't trying to look like she was in her 20s; however, she wears 5 and 6 inch heels. As a college professor, I believe her style would not work for most professional women. Unless you're a big fan of Robin McGraw and want to know all of her personal secrets (including a step by step description of how she puts on her makeup), skip buying this book.
on April 20, 2009
She talks more about herself in the book than gives out advice. Gives out very basic info that unless you have had your head in the sand for ages, every women has heard.