Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 68 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 371 reviews
on December 30, 2016
An excellent book full of natural and cultural history. Some events,though necessary to the story, will be disturbing to younger readers. It is a spellbinding account of life in Alaska by a very knowledgeable author. I would recommend discussing the issues of rape and hunting and family conflict as the story develops.
on November 19, 2011
This is the story of Miyax, a thirteen-year-old Eskimo girl who must decide whether to choose her own destiny or let others decide it for her: all within very constricted circumstances. Miyax's mother died years ago, and she lives with her father. But when she is forced to go away to school in another village and live with her aunt, she hears that her father has died. She then does what he told her to do: marry an Eskimo boy named Daniel. This marriage had been arranged by the parents. Miyax marries, but Daniel forces sex on Miyax, and she flees.

The main part of the story tells how Miyax learns to live in the wild, with a pack of wolves, by studying their ways and being accepted by them. If it weren't for the wolves, she would starve to death. Then Miyax learns that her father did not die, he married a white woman and has adopted non-Eskimo ways. Her father wants Miyax to come live with him, but he hunts wolves from a small aircraft, firing down on and killing them. Miyax cannot tolerate this and runs away again, determined to live on her own, in the wild. In the end, she realizes with great sadness that the days of Eskimos living off the land are gone forever, and she returns to her father.

The wilderness scenes with the wolves are wonderful, and Miyax is an empathetic hero. There's a lot going on in this book, plot-wise, and I'm not sure the resolution works, even though it is realistic. But this is a powerful story of a thirteen-year-old girl living on the edge of two different worlds, having to decide which one she will live in.
on September 21, 2016
This was my favorite book when I was in third grade (1989). I haven't read it since, but I was having some wine and mentioned it so my son bought it for my birthday.

It's a little different than I remember, but it's still fabulous.

I never knew there were sequels (my son bought them for me, too) and I cannot wait to read them!
on November 10, 2016
I'm a retired teacher and while teaching read "Julie of the Wolves" with my class.. I got this copy for my granddaughter. I think its an excellent preteen, early junior high school book for young people. While it's written for girls, even as an adult, I found it delightful.... and I'm a guy!! I highly recommend it for girls or boys!!
on May 12, 2016
I read this as a child and ordered it to read to my son and daughter before bedtime. My son loves the adventure of trying to survive lost and on your own in the frozen Alaskan tundra and my daughter loves the female lead character who befriends and joins a wolf family.
on May 18, 2017
I read Julie of the Wolves as a child and ordered it to read it with my nephew who is in fourth grade during the Christmas Vacation. He loved the adventure of trying to survive on your own in the frozen Alaskan tundra and joining the pack of wolves. It is a good book for both boys and girls from 4th to 6th grade or as a quick read for older.
on October 15, 2016
Very good. Haven't finished it yet, but read a bit every night. Can't believe it's for young readers. Nice style.
on October 29, 2013
This is a classic nature saga, one that will make you cry with love for the girl and the wolves that become her friends and saviors. It's so wonderful in so many ways--the relationship between humans and our fellow creatures that we share our world with is depicted with depth and sensitivity, and the book will leave a lasting impression. There is much interesting information about the ways of wolves, too, which de-fuses the fearful stereotypes often seen in literature. Good for both adults and young people.
on October 13, 2016
So sorry that I didn't notice it was abridged. I like the unabridged. Needed more than an hour of this book.
on January 6, 2017
I bought this book to be read for my children's literature class. The story is indeed very interesting, and the author appears to either have done a lot of research or has lived in Eskimo tradition.