Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 52 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 73 reviews
on January 28, 2014
I had borrowed the book previously so I knew what I was getting. It meets a specific need really well. Knitters at any level, with any amount of time, can find something they'll be proud to give. The book is divided into sections according to the estimated times the projects will take. I don't knit as fast as the author but it gives me a relative idea. The projects have a clean simplicity to them that I like which is probably due in part to the nice photography. At the back of the book, there are some very clever ideas for customizing and wrapping the gifts, gift tags made to hold extra buttons for one. The print is a little fine for me, but the patterns are clear and nicely laid out. It's a beautiful book.
on June 9, 2015
As is too often the case, this book has very few patterns I will actually knit but that's okay. Anytime I find at least three patterns to knit, I'm a happy knitter. It is divided into (average) knitting time: 2-4-hour gifts, 4-6-hour gifts, 6-8-hour gifts and more than 8-hour gifts. All patterns are written, which I very much appreciate. Some of the patterns I look forward to knitting include a beautiful lace scarf knit in the round, soft as a cloud cowl and a beret. A wrapping handknit gifts chapter is also included. As I said, anytime I can find three patterns in a knitting book, I'm a bappy person and since there are no charts, I'm even happier.
on August 16, 2010
I waited in anticipation to Joelle's follow up of "Last Minute Knitted Gifts' and was not disappointed. If I could rate this ten stars, I would do so. I have to wear a tracheostomy tube in my throat to breathe, and on page 99 there are patterns for the most beautiful (and soft) cowls one in my position ever hope for. Not only one, but three designs. How wonderful! As I slowly turned each page, what a "delight"...This book far exceeds it's name. Cannot wait to rush to LYS tomorrow and scoop up yarn for several projects I already have tagged as a "must have". I am so delighted with this book, if I could, I would give the author one of the biggest hugs she has ever received. This book has a wide range of projects surely to please any knitter. Whether you are a beginner or advanced knitter, this is the book for you. Thank You JH..Sandy
11 comment| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2011
Love this book! There are a number of projects that I plan to make from it, starting with the big lace scarf. Like LMKG, the patterns are divided into approximate amount of time they take to complete, which I find helpful. The projects are beautifully photographed, reflecting the clean, simple, and elegant style of Joelle Hoverson. It's the difference between hand made and "home made", if you know what I mean. As I also enjoy shopping for yarn from Purl Soho and following their blog, The Purl Bee, for crafting inspiration, I was sure this book would be a must have for my knitting library and it did not disappoint.
VINE VOICEon August 19, 2010
I adored Joelle Hoverson's first book and had hoped she'd do another.... The first noticeable thing about the book is the photography - it's beautiful! Well worth the price of the book as a "coffee-table" knitting book. Props to Anna Williams.

She organized the chapters by the typical length of time it would take to complete a project: less than two hour gifts, 2-4 hours, 4-6 and onward. For gifts, this is perfect, nothing worse that thinking a a gift will take 2 hours only to find yourself on the clock for 4 hours and only half way through (sometimes project length is deceptive). Plus a chapter on simple, but clever gift wrapping ideas using yarn. And there are a few pages dedicated to specific stitches & finishing techniques- note there is not a "basics section"- you'll have to pick up knitting basics elsewhere.

Hoverson stretches the gammet of projects - baby & adult socks, cowls, sweaters, vests, accessories, wrist warmers, blanket, scarves... pretty much your basic fair. The book is steeped in classics - nothing I would call trendy. A few projects stand out as "knock your (knitted) socks off"-- pointy elf hat (from the cover), the knitted house, cowl and beret.

I will admit, these are my first impressions. I am simply noting the look of the book and the projects offered. The true test of a knitting book is the quality & detail of the patterns. I will soon update with impressions of working the patterns. Any way you look at it, this is a beautiful addition to your knitting library.
55 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2016
The pixie hat on the cover had me sold! (I loved the first book by Joelle Hoverson.) The second book as some nice projects.
on June 25, 2013
I enjoy just looking at Ms. Hoverson's books, beautifully photographed and printed. I will probably make several of the projects as gifts. I am inconvenienced by the yarns used though. I don't always have access to or want to use the yarn suggested so I have to Google them to find out what the weight is. I could complain about the number of needles used in some of the projects too, but I think the different sizes add to the uniqueness, texture and beauty of the project.

I like the lack of fussiness, the attitude of fun and love of color in Ms. Hoverson's creations. I'm happy to own her books.
on November 16, 2010
I have Joelle Hoverson's other knitting book, "Last Minute Knitted Gifts", so when I learned she was publishing this new one, I knew it was just a matter of time before I got it. I love every single project in the book: they are elegant, stylish, quick gifts. In the couple of weeks since I received the book, I've already knitted the simple baby cardigan, and several of the coffee cozies. The recipients of these gifts loved them, and the patterns were simple, quick, and easy to follow.
on June 16, 2012
This book has to be about the most fun of all the knitting books/mags I have purchased. I love making little "quickies" for myself, for gifts, whatever. There's a lot of functional items that I like as well (baskets, potpourri sachets, chair covers, bookmark, etc) in addition to the hats, scarves, blankets that I get bored with sometimes. Some have mentioned errata with this book and the previous one by the same author....no worries just google and you will find them (so far I have only found one-sadly I cAnt remember which pattern it was BUT I do remember it was easy to locate). If you like quick projects...get this book!
on March 13, 2013
A friend showed me her copy of this book, and I bought my own after I realized how many of the projects I'd like to knit while looking through it.

I usually borrow a copy of any knitting or crochet book from my public library before I opt to buy it for myself. I also ask my public library to buy books for its collection when I see or hear about ones that sound worthwhile to have available to borrow. I like to read amazon's book reviews before recommending purchases.