Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Color: Silver|Style: Aeroblade 53"|Change

Showing 1-10 of 205 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 220 reviews
on January 2, 2014
The Thule Aeroblades are a great design and look great on the top of my Subaru Legacy. I went through and researched a lot about the Thule car rack before I spent over $400 for the complete rack. My best advice when buying a Thule rack is GO TO THE THULE.COM WEBSITE AND PUT IN YOUR VEHICLE INFORMATION TO DETERMINE ALL OF THE PRODUCTS YOU NEED!!! I went piece by piece between the blades, foot pack, foot pack secure kit, and the cylinder locks to protect the $400 investment. Be careful which secure kit and which foot pack you buy. Each is unique depending on which vehicle you have and if your vehicle has a roof rack or not. My Subaru does not have anything on the roof so I had to buy everything. Also be careful with the type of accessories you buy: ski rack, bike rack, canoe rack, etc. The Aeroblades are a newer design so make sure the accessories are made for the particular rack. Thule.com has an instruction video on how to install the complete rack and the foot pack will have the specs on how far the racks should be apart. Luckily Amazon is great about returning items but try them asap so you don't get stuck with a product that you mistakenly ordered. Amazon is a little cheaper than the Thule site so you can save some money here.
on August 31, 2014
Before I get into my review of this fabulous roof rack, I want to point out a critical oversight many people may be making because it isn't mentioned anywhere in the manuals.

IMPORTANT:
-> When you obtain the Fit Kit Rubber Foot Pads for your specific system, you'll notice the rubber foot pads aren't symmetrical squares. Instead, one side is taller and thicker and another side shorter and thinner on them. This is not mentioned anywhere in the manual, nor do they tell you why they do this. However, the reason they are designed this way is to contour to the slope in your car's roof, which could impact the systems grip to the car. So, when you install the system, you need to insure the rubber foot pad's thicker, longer side is on the downward slope of the contour and the thinner, shorter side is on the upward slope of the countor. This way the thicker side makes up for the downward slope and gives you max grip. Again, if they aren't fitting to the contours of the rooftop and leaving large gaps, you properly installed them backwards/wrong. IF YOU DON'T DO THIS IT CAN CAUSE A FAULTY INSTALLATION AND DETACHMENT OF THE SYSTEM MID DRIVE.
-> Each of the three parts will also include its own installation manual, which can be confusing since they repeat some information in each one. Even though their is repeat information, you need every single manual for measurements and proper installation of each part. DO NOT THROW AWAY OR IGNORE ANY OF THE MANUALS PROVIDED IN EACH PART FOR THE SYSTEM.
-> insure you follow the measurements down to the inch, as they are precisely tuned for each system and car to insure max performance. If you don't you may experience noises, poor performance, whistling, ect.
-> insure you cover all the openings fully with the tubing they provide. Any openings in the system or rail will also lead to improper performance, noises, ect.

REVIEW:
If you take your time, do a thorough job, follow the manuals and insure you don't overlook the things I mentioned above, the system should work as advertised, which in my experience is wonderfully.

Now to the review, I tested it out today on a routine surf trip to one of my favorite local spots. The system performed amazingly. I couldn't hear it at all, not even the wind passing over them. With my surf board installed, going 70 - 75 mph at a few points, I had no issues either. Board was tight with no play, wiggle room, or noticeable vibrations of any kind. I imagine it will perform just as well with bigger items too.

I am removing one star because of poor installation instructions, which led to numerous small errors I had to go back and fix during the installation process. If I didn't take my time, read carefully, and pay attention the how the system was suppose to work, I would of easily overlooked a number of small things never mentioned anywhere in the manual. On top of that, the system uses three differing parts and each part comes with its own manual on how to install the system, but each manual is completely different in its layout and will even reference other manuals. This led to multiple cross referencing, a number of confusing moments, and a lot of unneeded complication. Insure you follow all the directions for each part properly, as each manual has a lot of repeated information, but then they add in a few additions not in the corresponding ones.
on June 14, 2016
QUIET!
No, really, these things are seriously quiet while driving. They aren't inaudible but probably the closest you're gonna get without flat out removing them. I can't imagine any other cross bars being this quiet. And they give you rubber stripping to cover any holes (well, troughs actually) that might otherwise upset the laminar flow and cause unnecessary noise. Very nicely done.

I put these on a 2012 VW Tiguan (using the Thule Rapid Crossroad Foot Pack) and probably should have gone with the 53" version for 2 kayaks. I only anticipated 1 kayak at time of purchase but the collection grew. Ended up getting a Takima J-Low to mount one on its side and one flat on the bars. Very tight squeeze (the J-Lows max weight for 2 kayaks isn't high enough if they are fishing kayaks - 110lbs). The J-Lows are VERY noisy and whistle when empty (gotta break out some duct tape and work on that...) but the bars - you won't notice they are there unless actively listening for them when unloaded.
on February 7, 2017
Product is great. Installation instructions are terrible.

I bought these Aero bars for my 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Also purchased the Thule 300R gutter low feet. Make sure you link out to the Thule site to determine the right combinations of feet/bars to fit your vehicle when placing your order. The bars are good quality but installation instructions are a joke. They reference the foot pack for installation instructions. The foot pack tells you nothing beyond a vague illustration on how to install. Here is what I found out after several attempts and gouging out flesh on my left thumb:
1. Spray windex on the top of the aerobar when installing the rubber wind diffuser. This is the only way to get this rubber gasket to slide the entire length of the bar while you try to move it down the guiding slot.
2. Slip the unassembled feet onto the bars. This is the only way you can get these feet to slide. If you assemble the feet then try to insert into the bar the feet will not move so you won't be able to adjust the width.
3. Test fit the bar/feet combination to your rooftop. I have a solid Wrangler roof with gutters so I needed to adjust the feet to fit right into the gutters.
4. The product information brags about the Smartslide system but installation instructions tell you nothing on how to use it. You can't even find good information on the Thule website. Just be warned that you have to move each foot independently but keeping the same Smartslide number the same on each side so that feet are evenly spaced from the outside of the bar.
5. Now you can install the rubber T strips from the feet to the outer bar to fill in the gap.
6. Install the end cap.
7. Check to see that the bars are now securely resting in the gutter of your vehicle.
8. Now you can finally install the bolts, cover and locking wheel for each foot.

In the end you get a solid product. I plan to use this for our 2 kayaks this spring. Too bad a company that charges $400 for a pricey roof bar package can't back it up with helpful instructions - either in the package or on their website.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2016
As expected. Installation was a little tricky. First I got the wrong 'foot kit' for my vehicle on accident. Once that was corrected, the measurements in the included instructions were wrong for my vehicle. I looked up my kit online, found that there was a new version of the manual with new measurements for my vehicle. This turned out to be a closer fit but still not quite right. I had to 'widen' the measurements slightly... in order to allow the "doors" on the "feet" to close (these are the doors where you use the tool to crank down the brackets to your vehicle body to ensure a snug fit). Once completed, I'm happy with the product, just wish the installation instructions were a little easier to follow. There is an online video available through the 'thule fit guide' which was helpful but also not entirely accurate. I like this product because it is "modular" in the sense that when ski season is over, I can remove the attached ski racks and replace with bike/kayak racks.
on September 9, 2016
The product looks fine but the installation instruction is complete junk!! I went to the Thule website to get all the parts, it's a rather confusing and frustrating experience, but at least I got that part right. When all the different component arrived, I looked for installation instructions, which is extremely poorly written, I have to say worse than those chinese knock off products because there isn't even an attempt to write a description for the diagrams. I got the 53 in aeroblade for my Jetta, which looks like it's too long and overhanging the sides, so I referred to the diagram that is vehicle specific. It says front is 39-3/8" and the rear is 38". Taking my measuring tape to the car to double check the numbers, and found that these dimensions are way off. Not only are these numbers meaningless, what they suppose to mean is nowhere to be found in a clear manner. How does one use those numbers? If the numbers are off, does it mean I got the vehicle wrong? Or is it simply a mis- print?

Bottom line is, the instructions provided by this company is completely worthless. For the amount they charge for these cheap powder coated aluminum extrusions, I'd expect much better documentations. In fact, the only other product I buy with this poor level of instruction is Chinese knock off products...
review image
on March 19, 2012
I just installed these on Friday and then spent 6 hours in my CR-V on Saturday. I had the square bars on before these and the difference was huge. Not only did the noise go down significantly but my gas mileage crept up a bit, too (only .3 MPG, but still). Easy to install and good looking. Only two drawbacks, and this is why they get 4 stars and not 5. The first is that with their silver color all the bugs you hit while driving show up. A little silly but it is noticeable. The second is regarding the use of roof racks. You will need to buy extra parts to mount any rack to these bars. They do not tell you this in the instructions or any where else. Thule has some of the worst documentation regarding this. I found REI to be very helpful in finding what i needed to actually secure my kayak racks, its a relatively cheap and easy fix but was major annoyance for 2 hours while I read online and researched the fix.
22 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2016
I previously purchased the Rave Powersports Aero Cross Bars for my Ford Escape and for the price they were good value. However, they made a huge racket. After 4 years I took them off to see if I could plug up the bottom slot to see if that would quite them somewhat. What I found was the mounting clamps were very rusty, and I began to wonder if I would soon be losing my kayaks as I was driving down the road. God forbid they should hit someone driving behind me. So I purchased these Thules for about 4X the price. I have not used them for my boats yet, but they are SO much more pleasant in terms of wind noise. In fact they sound no different than having nothing up there. They look a lot better too. BTW: these 60" bars were not recommended for my 2014 Ford Escape, but they fit nicely.
on May 18, 2013
This review is for 3 parts, the 47"Aeroblade, the 480R foot packs, and the Kit1064 fit kit.
I have an old Yakima Rack that I used for snowboarding. It spent a couple years in attics, and to keep from loosing the foot pads, I had duct taped them to the Q towers. I don't foresee the need for tape with Thule's system. The design and construction of each of the above mentioned pieces is every bit as good as it looks in the pictures. I was very impressed. I don't think there were instructions included with the blades, or with the 1064 Fit kit, but they were included with the 480R traverse foot packs. For the most painless installation instructions, go to Thule's site, click on fit guide, and input your vehicle data, select your rack, then download the PDF installation instructions. There are 3 dimensions you'll need to install these rack;
1. the distance between your foot packs on the blades
2. the distance between your front foot pack and windshield
3. the distance between the front and rear blades
Once you have those 3 numbers (that are vehicle make and model specific) search youtube for "How to Install Thule 480 Traverse Roof Rack Presented by Rack Outfitters". This 5min professionally made video has no talking. It just shows a guy installing the rack with some text where needed. Rack Outfitters really made this install idiot proof with this video.
As highly as I think of the Thule system, I am returning mine. It does not allow me to drive out of my garage with my kayak on the rack on my Tacoma. I don't think this rack sits too tall, and I don't consider my kayak excessively tall (its a WS Tarpon120). I don't think my Tacoma with 31" tires is too tall. I fault the architecture of my home. What was sold to us as a "2 car attached garage" could be more accurately described as a 1.5 car garage. Or 1 car with room to walk around it. I'd really like to have a talk with whoever in modern home building decided to designate 7' as an adequate height for a garage door. Of the 4 trucks I've owned while living in this house, only 2 have fit in my garage. For me to be able to drive out of my garage, with the kayak on the roof, it has to sit flush (or very nearly) with the top of the cab. It looks like the only kit that will allow this out of the box is the Thule Xporter 500. At $584 on amazon compared to the $372 I paid for this setup, it's a quite a price increase, but based on my opinion of this system, I'm sure it will be equally engineered. That extra $200 will save me 5-10mins each time I need to load my kayak. If ease of loading the kayak on the truck gets me on the water more, then over time, it will be worth it.
on January 4, 2013
First things first, use Thule's fit guide to get all of the items that you need: [...]
My wife pitched the idea of buying a car topper to free up room in our Ford Focus for an upcoming 11 hour car ride with 2 dogs. After a lot of research, paying closer attention to other vehicle racks around town, and trying to think of the best use of my money I settled on Thule (apparently pronounced "tool-ey"). The final selling point was the wide variety of products they sold that can be reused easily on other cars and with other products. For example, I could use the car topper and then use a bike rack, raft rack, or just the bar to transport plywood, etc.

I ended up purchasing the custom feet pack, aero bars, rapid traverse feet, locks, and cargo box. Although we spent several hundred dollars on everything if we wanted to use these products on our Scion all we have to do is buy the customer feet pack at ~$70. The custom feet pack come with the specific measurement and placement of the feet and bars. Follow the instructions and the install will go smoothly with some time. Once you have it figured out installing and remove the bar and box will take 2 minutes. During our trip we removed the cargo box and I was able to easily do it by myself in a few minutes. The entire setup survived a 22 hour round trip at highway speeds up to 80 mph. The box also sat in the rain overnight and went through rain on the road and the contents stayed dry. Setup stayed in place, tight and secure, and did not scratch the paint.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.