Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 244 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 334 reviews
on February 11, 2012
For years I tortured myself printing color brochures on a color laser. I thought speed and automatic duplexing were the most important things. Color and accuracy of photos? I figured I could tinker with settings until I got it right. Well, I never got it right, until I gave up and just went for quality instead, which is where this printer shines. Unlike the color laser, or other printers I have suffered with, what you see on screen is what you get on this printer. Working on a Mac with this printer has been a dream. I am now a happy printer, and an Epson convert.

Speed is good, and paper handling is great. No jams after 100's of prints. The rear tray for thicker paper holds only 20 sheets for manual two-sided printing. But the paper feeds accurately, no jams for me. I printed 100's of color pages (both sides, heavy text and images) out of the box with the starter carts. And when the printer flashed to tell me I was running out of yellow, the color and quality were consistent, from the start right up until the point when the yellow ran completely out. And after I replaced the cart, there was absolutely no difference in the quality of the next print. 48 lb. paper, no problem. Specs say cardstock up to 68 lb. is ok. With glossy paper, incredible results for just 4 colors. Cartridges couldn't be simpler to install. Haven't used the duplex yet, but plain text documents are very speedy and the text is fine, laser quality.

I suggest aligning the print heads after you receive the printer from UPS, those guys tend to drop things. My box was dented on the corners.

Bonus: my office does not reek of laser toner anymore. And the lights don't dim every time I print a page.
44 comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2012
Very easy to set up out of the box and the print quality is excellent. Really like the double sided printing
on May 3, 2012
Originally, I really liked this machine. The color printing was good assuming brochure or Epson paper was used and I liked the rear feeder for envelopes and such. It was just what this small office needed.

But...

8 months later, one of the ink heads broke and leaked all over. I talked to Epson, who graciously sent a replacement- A REFURBISHED printer... That one wouldn't even get past the initialization stage (but of course used up a set of ink cartridges). Epson then sent ANOTHER REFURBISHED printer that ate another set of ink cartridges and STILL says it doesn't have any ink. I'm using original Epson ink cartridges (not trying to sneak in refills or anything). I literally watched the ink levels drop. Where is it going? I've put in over a hundred dollars of ink and it still says it's empty.

I'm guessing there is a reservoir that holds the ink aside from the ink cartridge. But still, after draining multiple new ink cartridges it still claims to be empty and won't even attempt a black only print job.

So, in the last 2 REFURBISHED replacements of the original broken machine, I've put in close to $200 in ink. All for a machine that's only $100...

I'm frustrated and I'm done with Epson.
on October 8, 2012
I have always liked Epson printers for durability, reasonable ink prices and good color. This one was defective, however, despite good reviews. I wouldn't write off Epson, just had bad experience with this one--it would not initialize/prime the ink cartridges--all lights just kept blinking. Good return experience with Amazon.
on June 13, 2012
Two units in a row arrived defective. They would briefly work, then go into fatal error mode. FAIL.

DIRECT LINE TO LEVEL 3 TECH SUPPORT IN CALIFORNIA: (532) 290-4000. Wait for the operator and ask to be transfered to Level 3 tech support. :-)
---
Previous review:

If you have Mac OS 10.7+ you may not be able to install it from the CD or from Apple's software update. If this happens to you, you can:

a) call tech support at 562-276-7202 (and i HIGHLY recommend you immediately ask for Level 2 or you will waste a LOT of time).

or

b) 1)browse your HD and go to Library/Printers/Epson/ and trash the entire Epson folder and then

2) go to Library/Printers/PPDS/Contents/Resources and find the file called "EPSON WP-4020 Series.gz" and trash it, and ONLY that file. Then Empty your trash can.

3) Reboot

4) Then go to system preferences/Print and Scan and click the + symbol to add the printer, find the 4020 and add it and then follow the instructions do download and install the driver. At this point you should be good to go.
on February 12, 2013
I just loved this printer for the first eight months but then I started getting yellow ink splotches staining even my black and white printouts. After trying the nozzle check and doing a head cleaning, to no avail, I called Epson support. After hearing my description of the trouble, the agent immediately said it was a hardware failure (I could see dripped yellow ink inside the printer.) and that they were sending me a replacement printer right away. Of course, since the failure wasn't within the first 30 days, it would be a refurbished printer. My hopes are not too high for it after reading some of the other one-star reviews here but I hope it will last long enough for me to use my expensive ink cartridges.

Additionally, they don't want me to send the printer back to them. It's mine to keep! Imagine my luck. Now I can also pay to dispose of that properly.

Thank goodness I have another, old printer to use while waiting the two to seven business days the refurbished one will take to reach me. Just stay away from this printer!

UPDATE 2/18/13: The replacement printer Epson sent does not work. I called Epson back and after taking me through hoops with installing/re-installing ink cartridges, they are sending me four new ink cartridges. I have to wait 7-10 business days for those! I am pretty sure the cartridges are not the problem. (Background: The replacement printer came with four ink cartridges but they were mostly empty. I had to go into my inventory of new Epson XL ink cartridges and they didn't work in the machine either. I keep getting a "cartridges not recognized" message from the printer software.) Epson is not sending me a second replacement printer at this time. I guess they think I can go forever without a printer. I am livid and don't mind saying so.
on January 14, 2013
I bought this stand alone printer because the "all in ones" have so many issues, this one is no different. If you can get it to print the print quality is quite good. However, printing is very arbitrary. Initially it could print wirelessly, then it tired of that. I have a new iMac, that's the one it tired of and will only printed connected by cable, despite reloading the software. Sometimes. With my Macbook, it will still talk to it wirelessly, that is if it doesn't have a paper jam, the equivalent of a headache. You can take the thing apart and there is no paper jam to be found. If you talk to it sweetly, remove the paper tray 10 or 15 times it may grant you printing rights. So keep looking, this is not for you unless you're a masochist.
P.S.
If you find a good printer, please let me know.
on August 20, 2012
I was an avid HP Photosmart user until my HP died after 8 years of use. I studied HP's current offerings reading reviews that were generally luke warm. Note that my primary want from an ink jet printer is photo reproduction.
Reading about every other printer, Epson kept comming up excelent for photos as well as all other uses. Based on cost / value the 4020 seemed to come up on top. I pulled the trigger after agonizing for about a week. Why I think it is excellent:
1. No more cooking images to make them look "right". Always had to increase the exposure by at least 1/2 an F-stop or more to make the image look the same as the screen view. The Epson is only slightly darker; not enough to worry about.
2. The colors it produces are spot on to the digital image. It is uncanny for a printer at this price level.
3. The photo print speed at the highest quality level is about 2X faster than my last printer.
4. Duplex printing is flawless, very fast, and easy to set up. Never thought I needed this feature until I got it.
5. The ink cartridges are huge. I have printed 4X6's, 5X7's and 81/2X11's and the color cartridges (3) show no reduction in ink volume. You can believe Epson when they tout their ink cost per page. The black ink cartridge is down a small amout.
Cons:
1. This is a large printer only printer; about the size of an All-In-One. The width is about the same as my old HP, the depth is about 1 inch more with the paper stop retracked, but add another 6" with the stop extended, and the height is 2X higher. Its a big unit, but does fit on my desktop. However, this is a small price to pay for the outstanding photo performance.

I would recommend the Epson 4020 to anyone who puts priority on photo performance at a low cost.
on June 27, 2012
Great price. Don't bet on the wireless setup process but that's why God made USB cables. Is doing a great job for me.

It's not how well you start the race, it's how well you finish. The same can be said for this printer. Even though it started out strong, by November 2012 the printer's ability to print yellow (even after new cartridges) became a frustrating challenge. Prior to most print jobs, yellow does not exist on the spectrum unless you run through multiple head cleanings. This printer is turning out to be the defintion of a waste of time and money. If I had a "do-over" I would spend it now. Epson's assistance on-line is futile and on the phone is out-of-touch. In the end, disappointed and would do something else. I hope you have a better experience than I did.
on July 16, 2012
Based upon others feedback here I followed the installation directions to the letter - didn't have a single issue, hickup or problem. I'm not at all tech savvy, and I had no difficulty setting up the directed wireless network, etc. (Free tip - when printer / network setup asks if you know your SSID.... you can find it in the box from when you setup your wireless router.) UPDATE: I've had this printer for 9 months and I LOVE it. It's a real workhorse - prints great, and is saving our organization a ton in outsourced color printing. Easy on the pocket too - doesn't go through a lot of ink. Recommended highly!