Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 1,416 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,634 reviews
on February 6, 2014
You will see tons of poor reviews for this product. Most of them unfairly point to the drive as an issue, but instead I believe they reflect on a lack of foresight from the user ("lost my data!"), inability to navigate a website ("visited 3 websites, impossible to find how to file a warranty claim"), or just the bad luck of being part of the small percentage of people who receive a DOA drive (that happened to me too, but read on).

I've purchased over two dozen of these Canvio drives (sizes anywhere between 500GB and 1TB), mainly because they work just fine, and the warranty covers you when they don't. All drives will fail, that's the nature of the beast (really, they do; just google Google's case study, or BackBlaze's "How long do disk drives last?" article). Portable drives tend to fail a bit sooner, mainly due to them being subject to more "movement" than the 3.5" drives sitting inside your computer case: moving them while in operation (which is why the original iPods had a huge rate of failure amongst people who strap them to their arm and went about their normal exercise routine), carrying them in bags or pockets, whatever the case might be... they are, after all, portable.

That said, some drives will last you over 5 years, some will be DOA out the box, and most will fall somewhere in between. While I have had ONE of these drives not work straight out of the box (to be expected, considering how many we've purchased), the rest have been about average, and I can't say we noticed any difference with any other brands as far as performance or reliability. We used to buy Seagates, but stopped when they axed the 2- and 3-year warranties. The 3-yr warranty on these is just great for the purposes of peace of mind, and I've had nothing but great experiences with the claim process for the few of these that have failed throughout the course of their natural lifespan. For reference, if you are having troubles locating the warranty claim website, it's [...] Just hit the "START" button and follow the prompts. Very simple, relatively-painless.

Speed is more than decent for a 2.5" drive, mainly thanks to the high-density platters: even though they're 5400rpm, the bottleneck will always be the USB interface with these. Never had a need for the built-in software, so I can't speak for that (most of mine are being used as Time Machine targets without any issues). Access time is meh, about what can be expected from a 5400rpm drive; no surprises there.

As a parting note, please keep in mind always that your data is not backed up if it only lives in one place! No hard drive or any other storage media is fail-safe, so unless your data is in *at least* two places, it is subject to the danger of vanishing into imaginary 1s-and-0s following the failure of said media. If your computer is running out of space, don't just move data to an external drive to make room in the computer! (unless you backup that external drive, that is). Don't rely on a single drive to hold your pictures/documents/tax information/etc.... always backup!
on September 9, 2013
Revising five stars to one. It worked perfectly fine for month and a half. I thought I was one of the lucky ones.

Different story now. What can I say that others haven't already ... the drive "ejects" itself all by itself. One moment it's there, the next it tells me I ejected it improperly. What?! I didn't touch anything! Files then became corrupted. Of course, I'm two weeks past the return window. Having read the horrid tech support reports, I don't even want to deal with it at this point. The manufacturer comments attached to some reviews here merely suggest you try it on a different computer. No thanks. The least they can do is have you contact them directly to resolve the issue.

Research of no help, but plenty of horror stories. It's PC Windows. It's Mac OS (all varieties) It's drive failure. It's the USB connection. It's the USB 3.0 cable. It's the USB powered hub. It's the screwy software included. It's from waking up from sleep. It's a mini-power glitch. It's operator error. The suggestion was made that it very well may be the USB 3.0 cable, however I tried a different 3.0 cable with the same result.

Note: I do not have this issue with my other drives WD, Iomega or Simpletech portables, however they are USB 2.0. (although other people have had similar problems...)

Great... it just happened again while writing this opinion. "The disk was not ejected properly. If possible, always eject a disk before unplugging it or turning it off." No kidding, Sherlock! 5th time this evening. I wasn't even breathing on it... much less looking at it.

I bought this at the time based on all the stellar five star reviews. Since then, there are many more one stars. Would not recommend. Totally flakey and unreliable.
on November 28, 2013
Loved it for 1.5 years, now its useless.
It no longer mounts on either windows or mac.
Windows was able to do a full (very slow) NTFS reformat, so the platters are OK.
But it still failed to mount on either OS (my mac can mount NTFS volumes).
I was using it as a Time machine backup on my MAC for its useful life, but then it would not mount.
I thought maybe I could use it on windows, reformatted it OK.
I think the driver mounting logic is busted.
Could not get any Toshiba support.
I suspect they had lots of trouble with this.
Why else would entering the serial number or part number on their web site give me:
"Invalid Model Part/Serial Number, could not find this in our Database. Please try again..."
on June 27, 2014
Even with the Y type USB cable that allows you to grab extra power from a second USB port, this drive will rarely operate under USB 3.0. if you connect it with a USB 2.0 cable (And thus limit yourself to USB 2.0 speeds) it will generally work. But why pay $100 for a device that you can barely get USB 3.0 out of.

On my Desktop PC where I can actually get it to operate at USB 3.0, it only achieves about 70 MB/sec:

$ sudo hdparm -t /dev/sdf

/dev/sdf:
Timing buffered disk reads: 216 MB in 3.02 seconds = 71.51 MB/sec

In contrast, I purchased a Seagate 1TB drive "Seagate Backup Plus 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (Black)(STBU1000100)", and it works every time plugged into the USB 3.0 port on my laptop (Without needing a Y cable for extra power) and it achieves nearly 100 MB/sec (96.49 MB/sec)

The Seagate drive is also about $5 cheaper and has the option to connect with either USB 3.0 or eSATA.
on May 10, 2013
Bought this hard drive a few months back.. wish I had done it sooner. Its inexpensive, and runs smooth, quite, stays cool. You can drag and drop folders/files just like you would in your computer documents folder. Very easy.

It automatically backs up particular selected drives and folders, and does a whole computer backup. Kinda redundant if you plan on dragging particular folders in, that's my opinion: this because if you drag in folders, it still does its own special 'full system backup.' There may be a way in settings to over ride this, but I have not seen yet. No big deal cause its a whole friggin TB + whatever your computer hard drive is.

Pros: None so far.

Cons: When backing up the computer, It has the tendency to take a while.. and hogs computer resources a bit during.That said, my computer is also 6 yrs old, so that may be the main cause.

~Recommended~
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 31, 2014
There have been many complaints of the Canvio not working with 2011 Mac Airs due to an incompatibility with power requirements - wish I had done my research. It seems that the Canvio uses more power than the 3.0 protocol allows, and the Mac Air won't supply more power than absolutely required for the 3.0 protocol.

Unlike many others, I was able to get this Canvio to work on my 2011 Mac Air, for one year, hence the two stars. As of today, I received a pop up message when plugging the Canvio into the Mac - essentially stating that the usb port is drawing too much power, so for my own good, the Mac is shutting down power to the usb port. While the Canvio may continue to work on other computers (haven't tried it yet), it is no longer connecting with the Mac.

Not a bad hard drive while it worked. But with an acknowledged problem connecting to Mac Airs, an in my case, a life span of just over 1 year, I can't recommend this drive.
on May 20, 2012
This hard drive is doing what it is supposed to do... Work! I use external drives for all my data, and I back them up to my home network when I return from traveling using robocopy. This drive has the necessary performance to also run virtual machines directly on the drive. All of my work with clients is done on virtual machines using VMWare so it appears I have a dedicated computer for each client, but in fact I travel with just one laptop.
Word of advice: If your data is critical to you, do NOT follow the foolish Microsoft method of keeping all your data (pictures, financial records, emails, etc) on your C drive. I keep everything on external drives and on my home detwork, so I have 3 identical copies of everything, and with a 1 TB size I can keep just about everything I want in 3 places. Your laptop (or desktop) can fail at ANY time, so be safe!
on October 9, 2013
I'm in a digital photography class and the instructor suggested we get a travel drive for all the photos we would be taking. He said it would be a waste of time to buy anything smaller than 500 GB, so I bought this 1 TB hard drive. When I plugged it in at home it automatically backed up my home PC. I didn't want it to, it just did. It also set a day and time to backup, which I didn't want. I took this portable hard drive to an IT friend and explained my problem. He removed the automatic software and adjusted it so I could use it like a thumb/flash/memory stick. I'm very happy with the end result, but the software almost made me return it. I'm glad I knew someone who could make it do what I wanted.
on July 27, 2012
I originally saw this product for $90 at the local store (except it held 500GB). I come to amazon, find the same product (holding 1TB!) for $75 plus $5 shipping (total of $80). I always find the best deals on Amazon and this not only blew the local store out of the water but the rest of amazon too. This is a relatively new company on amazon to deal with (so it was risky for me) , but it will be less risky for you all reading this review. The product is new, in the box, premo condition. It went from Mississippi to Illinois in 3 days with standard shipping. I placed the order and it shipped promptly the day after. I just made a great buy, I trust this dealer, you should too. Oh yeah, the hardrive works fine. It does what its supposed to. I especially liked the back-up software it camer with. Makes everything easier. Being on active duty, anything making your life easier just frees up so much. Thx BOB :P
on October 8, 2013
Connected to my Google Nexus 7 2013 tablet without the slighest hitch.
All it took is an OTG three way cable and a nice app from the Google Play Store. Total setup time was less than 15 minutes, and now my 16GB tablet has become a 1TB tablet, an increase of 100 fold for just about $60.

Technical Notes:
* I have not tried to reformat the drive with ext4. It is still the original NTFS. Although I generally dislike things m$, NTFS is actually a very nice logging file system. For my application, ext4 offers no distinct advantage.
* I did not see an NTFS formatter on the Android system. This is the main reason for not trying to replace it with another filesystem; without an NTFS formatter, there is no way to restore the drive to its original configuration.
* Make SURE you use a three-way cable adapter:
# The cable is arranged in a Y form. The bottom
Is micro-USB. It plugs into the tablet.
# One leg is USB-2 male 'A' plug. This goes into the
end of the cable coming from the drive.
# The other leg is micro-USB female. It connects
with the cable coming from a charger. This _MUST_
Connected to a charger! Otherwise the drive will try
to run on the power coming out of the tablet. This is
very bad form!
* To manage the disk mounting, filed browsing, etc, install the "USB OTG Helper" app, and the "OI File Manager" app. Follow all relevant instructions in the apps, as well in the Play Store listings for these apps.
Set the first app to auto-mount, use the OI file manager and remember which fm to use.
* To be useful, you should use a kernel less constricted/castrated than what magog issues. I use the ElementalX one with great success. The device should be rooted and have a good playbox installed. See below.

Definitions;
OTG : Normally, the USB socket in the tablet is configured to behave like a peripheral of some other computer. On The Go mode reverses it and makes the tablet into a "host" so it will control peripherals correctly. OTG cables are made for that and perhaps have some pins reversed.

Rooting: Normally multi-tasking, multi-user systems have some sort of privileged user, capable of performing administrative tasks. Magog, in their eternal wisdom abolished this mechanism. Rooting a device means installing some small program (su) which re-ensbles the Unix super user, called 'root'.

BusyBox: A collection of ancient Unix tools and utilities that allow one to manage her/his device like s real administrator.

NOTE: If you have the attitude of "I am dumb and cannot think for myself", which is what Magog thinks of you, DO NOT EVEN TRY this procedure. Also note that some of the steps involved in rooting an Android device can render it useless. In 99.9% of the cases, you can re-install the original system, using standard magog instructions.