Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,403 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,695 reviews
on June 10, 2015
The late Roger Ebert liked to believe that it's not what plot you choose for your movie, it's what you do with it. Even if the story is as old as cinema itself the movie can still be good. That really applies to ROCK OF AGES. To be honest, there isn't anything particularly original as far as story is concerned. But this movie has some really amazing performances by a group of big-time Hollywood stars: Tom Cruise, Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand, Paul Giavanni, and Catherine Zeta Jones. Tom Cruise is especially good as the egotistical rock god Stacie Jaxx. Alec Baldwin proves that he is still a good actor as he was 20 years ago, playing the owner of the Bourbon Room club, while Russel Brand plays his business partner.

But the high point of this movie is the music. I grew up with these songs and I still love them. I recognized music by Quiet Riot, Pat Benatar, Bon Jovi, Poison, Guns-N-Roses, Journey, Def Leppard, Starship, and Twisted Sister. These bands had made some really AWESOME songs. And in this movie the musical scenes are 100% real. All the actors do their own singing, and are astonishing at how well they sing it. Tom Cruise had to take singing lessons and they had really paid off. And on top of that, Russell Brand and Alec Baldwin perform a song together that will come as a surprise to anybody, including themselves. Diego Boneta and Julianne Hough are also amazing in their musical performances. It comes as no surprise that Boneta is a Latin pop star, and Hough is a professional country singer.

Rock-n-roll has not been the same these days. The only band that I actually have listened to lately is Rammstein, and they only go back as far as 1998. But it was refreshing to see this film and to hear such talented actors actually performing these songs; most of the time as good as the original.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 27, 2016
I have seen this movie a number of times and have enjoyed it. I love 80's music and I enjoy musicals so it was a given that I would like the movie even if it was cheesy - which it is. I will say this though before I go on. I rented the movie on Amazon after seeing it five or six times over the course of a few years and realized that I had been watching the extended version with some scenes cut out of the actual cinema release. The movie I saw tonight on Amazon was the cinema release and was missing those cut scenes and BOY did I miss them. One of the best scenes is completely cut out and that is when Tom Cruise's Stacee Jaxx goes into a bar where Julianne Hough's Sherrie is working and they sing "Rock me Like a Hurricane" together in the VIP room of the club. It's a great song and the scene is excellent. And you won't see it unless you see the extended or unedited version. It is on YouTube though. A few other scenes are missing as well but don't take much away from the final cut.

Having said that, this movie is a dramady. It tries to be funny and it works some of the time and it tries to be poignant and it works some of the time. The music is amazing for anyone who likes 80's rock songs and all the actors used their own voices for their songs including the star of the movie, Tom Cruise, who has a great voice and played the aging, nearly washed up rock star perfectly. I never thought I would believe that Tom Cruise was a drunken, long haired, 80's rock god but I did while I was watching this movie. He is hardly recognizable with his long hair and tattooed body and he has the entitled, out of control rock star shtick down pat. I don't think anyone could have done a better job. He is the best actor AND singer in the movie.

The other stars are all fine. Casting could have been better for some characters but they all add flavor to the movie. The movie is essentially a love story as well as an ode to rock and roll. The dialog is weak but the music makes up for it. Lots of well known stars are in this and all sing, some of whom do not sing at all in general and probably shouldn't again. Hello, I'm talking to you,. Russell Brand!

If you are looking for a serious film, this isn't it. If you're looking for a film that has songs sung in perfect tune by every cast member, this isn't it. But if you like a little cheese with your 80's rock, this movie is good fun. I really enjoy watching it. It goes from serious and touching to downright silly in a heartbeat but it's one of those films that just has to be watched with an open mind and enjoyed for the memories and the music.

The storylines are all over the place with many, many little subplots which make it interesting at every turn. If you can, try to catch the deleted "Rock You Like a Hurricane" scene on YouTube or on the extended release because it's one of the better scenes in the movie, in my opinion. I suspect it didn't make the cut because it depicted the female lead, Sherrie, as not quite as innocent as she seemed and they wanted to keep her wide eyed and wholesome.

Don't blink during the last quarter of the film or you will miss seeing some very recognizable 80's rock stars in the crowd where the rock lovers and the naysayers clash and sing a mash up. Naturally they are on the side of the rock lovers..

The movie, made in 2012., isn't dated at all because it is set in 1987 so it will always be relevant as an era movie. Give it a chance. It grows on you. That's why I ended up watching it again tonight!
on June 10, 2014
When my husband, teenage daughter and I went to see Rock of Ages at the theater, we really didn't know anything about it. First of all, we had no idea it was a musical. When Julianne Hough's character broke out in song on the bus at the beginning of the movie, and then the other passengers joined in, we looked at each other and laughed. We each thought we had just wasted our money on a stupid movie. Boy were we wrong! We LOVE Rock of Ages! When it was released on DVD, I bought it right away for my daughter for her birthday, along with the soundtrack on CD. She was thrilled! Now, my husband and I get a kick out of listening her sing along to the rock songs we grew up with.

If you are a fan of Foreigner, Journey, Bon Jovi, Poison, Def Leppard, Scorpions, Quit Riot, and a host of other 80s rock bands, you will love this movie.
on September 2, 2016
It took a while to get over the high-school-play-production movie intro, and people were laughing during serious scenes in the theatre when I first saw this movie. But I thoroughly enjoyed the song choices, and thought the actors did a good job with what they were given. It was fun re-watching a shirtless Tom Cruise swagger onto the screen, and I enjoyed learning that he sung his own numbers. I also found myself rooting for the nightclub owners, in part thanks to Alec Baldwin and Russell Brand's performances.

The things that underwhelmed were fake looking sets, main characters I struggled to root for, an okay plot, and a general lack of dance choreography--with the exception of Catherine Zeta Jone's number. Film can and should go above and beyond the limitations of theatre. A lot of Rock of Ages felt like watching a Broadway show without the fun of actually being in the audience. There was little to drive the plot, or any of the characters, forward in a meaningful way. And for people who say, "It's just entertainment": I think film musicals can entertain by being "good" movies with exciting stories and characters (like Chicago for example).

Ultimately, Rock of Ages felt like "Glee" for grownups, without the heart and soul of the television series.
on January 3, 2017
This movie is such a drastic departure from the Broadway musical that I honestly don't know why they didn't just make an entirely new movie about the 80's Strip era. Aside from some of the same songs and some of the same characters, and a few similarities to the story line, this is nothing like the play. Key characters were completely changed or taken out all together. Plots were altered. The "big bad" that our heroes were fighting was completely different. The ending wasn't even the same. Seriously, this movie has barely anything to do with the original play.

Having said that - if you go into the movie not comparing it to the play, and understanding that it's supposed to be cheesy and not taken seriously, and you love the 80's hairband scene, and you just want to watch a fun movie, you may very well love this one.
on May 24, 2017
I'll say it,I actually prefer these versions of the old soft rock/metal head songs to the Originals.Esp Tom Cruises versions.He's already insanely talented and one of the most versatile actors.I love when he character acts and he Never disappoints.
on February 21, 2014
I can't help but love this movie! As cheesy as it may be I really enjoyed it enough to purchase it so I can watch again and again. I saw the stage show a long time before the movie came out and love that too, but I really like the way they did the movie version better. It made Stacee Jax a more likeable character, and if you're going to have Tom Cruise play him then that pretty much is essential.
The theatrical release cut out a few scenes that were directly used from the stage play so I waited to get the extended edition so I could have those scenes back in the movie. Most of the things that were cut were Julianne Hough's dance numbers, which is odd because she is a better dancer than a singer. I guess the dancing was a little too racy for test audiences so they pulled it but I thought they were fun to watch and added more layers.
All in all its alot of fun, takes you back to big hair bands and spandex, and how can you not get reminiscent when you see Tower Records!
Great performance by Tom Cruise too, I love when he takes on a role that pushes the boundaries of him just being himself. He sold the 80's rocker to a tee and his singer wasn't that bad either. As I said, great fun!
on March 22, 2016
This is one of my all time favorite movies since it came out! When it was in theaters, I went on a blind date to see it. I had a horrible time on the date (dinner first and it just went downhill from there) so I was excited to ignore him and watch the movie. I was so excited after the movie, I lied to the guy, told him I had to go home, and went out to karaoke!!

Great story line, great music, great acting. Just a great movie! Was anyone else surprised that Tom Cruise could sing?? It blew me away :) and he did it soo well! I also liked how they came up with the story of how "Don't Stop Believing" came to be!
on December 5, 2014
Just like most of the 80's media, this is a tribute to being one wild party animal, carefree and casual. Julianne Hough, Russell Brand, Paul Giamatti, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Mary J. Blige, Tom Cruise, and Alec Baldwin star in this film about the "decade of decadence"(shameless Motley Crue reference) which was possibly the most fun, wild ,and sexy decade in U.S. history(the 60's might argue against that). The 80's were the glory days of rock and metal music full of decadence, sin, and lust. This film is clearly a guilty pleasure with fun, laughs, sexy scenes, and enough partying to make you pass out! Easily recognizable music from REAL rock bands like Def Leppard, Foreigner, Journey, Twisted Sister, and many more REAL rock artists(NO SEATTLE CRAP ALLOWED!). You will not find Seattle garbage here. NO PEARL JAM FANS ALLOWED! Listen to some REAL metal!
on September 20, 2013
I saw the play on Broadway with Constantine in the cast and it was a great show - although maybe cocktail service at the seats throughout the performance had an effect. The audience got pretty rowdy toward the end of the show. I was prepared to dislike the movie. There are not too many movie adaptions of musical plays that I have enjoyed. In fact, I did not see it in the theater; however, I was looking for a movie to download to my Kindle Fire. I had read that Tom Cruise was quite amazing, and when I saw they had an extended version with extra scenes and background footage, I figured, "Why not?"

I am so glad. I love the movie. It is not the stage show, but it is equally entertaining. All of the cast members do an excellent job. Even Alec Baldwin's awkwardness in his musical contributions is appealing, as he discovers some important truths about his life.

I just posted a review for the soundtrack album Rock of Ages: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack. It is also excellent. I was already in my thirties when these songs became rock anthems, and they became the soundtrack of many lives, mine among them. Take me down to Paradise City where the grass is green and the girls are pretty! Take me home!!!