YED Reading Is Fundamental Wish List Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Beauty & Grooming Shop Popular Services GoldenGlobes GoldenGlobes GoldenGlobes  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Oscar Central in Movies & TV Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,381 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,669 reviews
on November 22, 2012
Fell in love with Tom Cruise! This brought back so many good memories. I went and downloaded the soundtrack. Who knew Tom Cruise could sing!
on February 21, 2013
Know this got lousy reviews, but I thought it was great. Of course, the music is from "my" era, so that helped. Tom Cruise looked amazing. I'm not sure why he's on everyone's hate list lately, but like Mel Gibson, he's a good actor and his movies are always entertaining. I didn't buy this movie to make him my spiritual adviser, but because I knew it would be a good time, and it was.
on June 10, 2015
The late Roger Ebert liked to believe that it's not what plot you choose for your movie, it's what you do with it. Even if the story is as old as cinema itself the movie can still be good. That really applies to ROCK OF AGES. To be honest, there isn't anything particularly original as far as story is concerned. But this movie has some really amazing performances by a group of big-time Hollywood stars: Tom Cruise, Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand, Paul Giavanni, and Catherine Zeta Jones. Tom Cruise is especially good as the egotistical rock god Stacie Jaxx. Alec Baldwin proves that he is still a good actor as he was 20 years ago, playing the owner of the Bourbon Room club, while Russel Brand plays his business partner.

But the high point of this movie is the music. I grew up with these songs and I still love them. I recognized music by Quiet Riot, Pat Benatar, Bon Jovi, Poison, Guns-N-Roses, Journey, Def Leppard, Starship, and Twisted Sister. These bands had made some really AWESOME songs. And in this movie the musical scenes are 100% real. All the actors do their own singing, and are astonishing at how well they sing it. Tom Cruise had to take singing lessons and they had really paid off. And on top of that, Russell Brand and Alec Baldwin perform a song together that will come as a surprise to anybody, including themselves. Diego Boneta and Julianne Hough are also amazing in their musical performances. It comes as no surprise that Boneta is a Latin pop star, and Hough is a professional country singer.

Rock-n-roll has not been the same these days. The only band that I actually have listened to lately is Rammstein, and they only go back as far as 1998. But it was refreshing to see this film and to hear such talented actors actually performing these songs; most of the time as good as the original.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 27, 2016
I have seen this movie a number of times and have enjoyed it. I love 80's music and I enjoy musicals so it was a given that I would like the movie even if it was cheesy - which it is. I will say this though before I go on. I rented the movie on Amazon after seeing it five or six times over the course of a few years and realized that I had been watching the extended version with some scenes cut out of the actual cinema release. The movie I saw tonight on Amazon was the cinema release and was missing those cut scenes and BOY did I miss them. One of the best scenes is completely cut out and that is when Tom Cruise's Stacee Jaxx goes into a bar where Julianne Hough's Sherrie is working and they sing "Rock me Like a Hurricane" together in the VIP room of the club. It's a great song and the scene is excellent. And you won't see it unless you see the extended or unedited version. It is on YouTube though. A few other scenes are missing as well but don't take much away from the final cut.

Having said that, this movie is a dramady. It tries to be funny and it works some of the time and it tries to be poignant and it works some of the time. The music is amazing for anyone who likes 80's rock songs and all the actors used their own voices for their songs including the star of the movie, Tom Cruise, who has a great voice and played the aging, nearly washed up rock star perfectly. I never thought I would believe that Tom Cruise was a drunken, long haired, 80's rock god but I did while I was watching this movie. He is hardly recognizable with his long hair and tattooed body and he has the entitled, out of control rock star shtick down pat. I don't think anyone could have done a better job. He is the best actor AND singer in the movie.

The other stars are all fine. Casting could have been better for some characters but they all add flavor to the movie. The movie is essentially a love story as well as an ode to rock and roll. The dialog is weak but the music makes up for it. Lots of well known stars are in this and all sing, some of whom do not sing at all in general and probably shouldn't again. Hello, I'm talking to you,. Russell Brand!

If you are looking for a serious film, this isn't it. If you're looking for a film that has songs sung in perfect tune by every cast member, this isn't it. But if you like a little cheese with your 80's rock, this movie is good fun. I really enjoy watching it. It goes from serious and touching to downright silly in a heartbeat but it's one of those films that just has to be watched with an open mind and enjoyed for the memories and the music.

The storylines are all over the place with many, many little subplots which make it interesting at every turn. If you can, try to catch the deleted "Rock You Like a Hurricane" scene on YouTube or on the extended release because it's one of the better scenes in the movie, in my opinion. I suspect it didn't make the cut because it depicted the female lead, Sherrie, as not quite as innocent as she seemed and they wanted to keep her wide eyed and wholesome.

Don't blink during the last quarter of the film or you will miss seeing some very recognizable 80's rock stars in the crowd where the rock lovers and the naysayers clash and sing a mash up. Naturally they are on the side of the rock lovers..

The movie, made in 2012., isn't dated at all because it is set in 1987 so it will always be relevant as an era movie. Give it a chance. It grows on you. That's why I ended up watching it again tonight!
on October 11, 2012
So I was really hesitant about watching Rock of Ages--figured it was just going to be really stupid to be honest. On a whim, I decided to rent it. And I'm really glad I did! I was drawn in just from the opening number, and it held me from there. Sure...it's a lot of 80s cheese and big hair...but if you enjoy the music from this era, and aren't looking for anything deep...you'll probably really enjoy this one. Some of the rock mixes were great. I loved how they combined some of the songs. All of the actors just looked like they were having a blast as well.

My only complaint is that I wish it had a LITTLE less of of the very clearly inferred sex (just the way it was done was really in your face), because I would have loved to share this with my 13 year old daughter who is super into music too. I get that the whole premise was rock and roll and sex...but when they several times have characters whipping down their pants, a chick spanking a man bent over a table, another one looking like she is...ahhh...kneeling in front of Tom Cruise's character, and more...it was kind of on the edge for PG13. The main female character ends up being an exotic dancer..yet even those (several) scenes were less in your face (and they had plenty of pole dancing) than some of the other scenes. Again, I do get why it was there..just a side mention of wishing maybe there wasn't quite so much and instead it would have been all the music to make it a tad more family friendly. Since it would be a fun movie to share with your kids to show them what we grew up with, music-wise. I thought the male lead actually had a really good voice, Tom Cruise did a great job, as did Alec Baldwin. I enjoyed the female character (Sherri) for the most part...her voice got on my nerves every once in a while.

But...bottom line, if you enjoy 80s music and want a no-brainer, don't expect anything at all deep, just fun hour and a half--give it a try. Well worth the rental price, in my opinion.
on November 16, 2016
I saw the stage production off Broadway, on Broadway and Touring....this in no way shape or form captures the magic and story-line of the original stage production. GO SEE THIS LIVE. Don't let the movie spoil the true fabulousness of this show.
on June 19, 2013
Rock of Ages is certainly one of the guiltiest pleasures. It is cheesy, stereotypical and who has a course of bus passengers who act as your backup singers. It's a wonderfully funny satire that is way over the top and very well acted. For an evening of laughs, great fun and well done rock'n roll you cannot beat this movie.
on December 30, 2016
A must see for fans of the rock genre. All the characters are well cast. The music is great. For those who grew up in the 80's and 90's this movie will take you down memory lane. Other movies in this genre worth watching if you are interested, are Spinal Tap, Phantom of the Paradise, Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny, and Repo, the Genetic Opera. Phantom of the Opera is good. Grease is another one worth checking out.
on July 10, 2012
Disclaimer: I loved Mamma Mia!

I was excited about this movie based on the music/era alone. I wasn't disappointed.

It's silly, funny, ridiculous, over-the-top, and goofy. And it's an absolute blast.

I was incredibly skeptical of Tom Cruise in this movie. But you know what? He.Was.Awesome. Made the movie for me (along with Hey Man LOL)

Can you believe I didn't know Alec Baldwin and Russell Brand were in it? Both of them were terrific as well, and did not disappoint.

I'm not overly familiar with Julianne Hough, outside of the Footloose remake, and I've never heard of Diego Boneta, but he was cute and I thought he did a good job.

I really liked this movie, so much so that I went back a week+ later and saw it again. I can't wait to buy it, so hurry up and release it, New Line Cinema!

Don't go into this expecting Oscar-worthy performances; you'll be disappointed. But if you go expecting fun and laughs? You're good. People need to chill out and not think every movie should be some life-changing experience. Sometimes stuff can be so bad it's great, and this is one of those things. Love it!
on November 24, 2012
I am always a little scary of musicals. When I hears that Tom Cruise is singing my beloved 80's music I became nervous, ...very nervous. I saw the movie very objectively, and this movie was very very entertaining. Mr. Cruise is a very good singer and and an even better actor. ...an excellent actor AND singer! Good movie if you grew up with this music!