Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 246 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 273 reviews
on February 9, 2012
We're Home schooling some boys grade equivalents 6-8. They can be rough on things so I didn't want a plastic toy and I wanted plenty of magnification to see what we can see. This microscope did not disappoint me. Knowing that many if not all of the lesser microscopes offered have plastic "lenses" this 'scope's "optical glass lenses" appealed to me. Images are sharp and clear. Light is provided by either batteries (3ea/AAA) or a wall outlet and there is a well placed easily manipulated switch on the base. You can drag this thing along on a field trip if you wanted to though I can't imagine why you would. The frame/body is all metal as advertised. The bottom cover is plastic but that's of no consequence. This unit is made in China and I don't buy the $450 value claim one bit. But it's well worth the $90+ shipping which can be avoided if you want to use an Amazon offer. But I bought the scope and an Amscope 50 pc prepared slide box and altogether my shipping was only $4something. I don't know what yours would be.
The scope came with a transformer and 2 WF view finders though I have not yet figured out how to install the second. It is different from the one that came installed. One person reported their scope came badly packed. Not mine. The instrument came in a thick, fitted Styrofoam box, inside of a cardboard box that was packed in yet another box along with the additional prepared slides I'd purchased in a padded container with the extra spaces filled with large bubble packs. It arrived in fine condition and everything tight.
Harking back to not knowing how to install that second view finder, the "instructions" (I can hardly call them that) are something less than useless as another reviewer reported. That is why I only gave 4 stars to this. Consider the instrument itself 5/star. But, if I used a microscope in school, and I most likely did, it was so long ago I cannot recall it. Therefor the lack of instructions are a bit aggravating. I decided against forking out the money for a book about it figuring (rightly it turns out) there's plenty of free information available on the web. But, purchasers of this scope should be prepared to do one or the other.
A final word. In doing the web research, I discovered that magnification for the 1000x might want immersion oil but to beware that it is not for all lenses and there's nought to tell you yea or nay on this scope. There's a toll free number on the paperwork so I called it. I am happy to report there were no recordings and a gen-u-ine live hu-man being actually answered the phone.(8^o I quickly got my answer, it's fine to use the oil if necessary. So +1 for customer service.
That wraps this up. I tried to make it useful rather than just glib praise or complaint. I hope it's of use to someone out there.
55 comments| 493 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2014
This is a louse that was found on my daughter's head. All the lice are now dead and my daughter is fine!

This video was taken by holding a video camera up to the eyepiece of our AmScope model M100C-LED, so the actual view using your eye isn't so tunneled. We set the louse on top of a prepared slide, which is the pink material in the first part of the video. It was on its back, so you can see it moving its legs. The first nine seconds of this video is at 40x, and the rest is at 100x. We looked at the louse at 400x also, but I couldn't get decent video at that magnification. If you really want photo or videos, consider a different microscope with a built-in camera.

This was a neat, educational, and gross way to show my daughter what was actually crawling around on her head. We also looked at nits and at another louse where you could see the blood inside its body at 100x and 250x, but we didn't take video of that.

No complaints with the microscope at all; it's solidly built and of good quality all around. I expect it to last for many years of use.
22 comments| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2017
Fantastic microscope. We use this to check the success of a vasectomy reversal. It gives a great view and has a really bright light. It's a heavy microscope too - feels sturdy.
on November 7, 2012
I ordered the "AmScope 40x-1000x All-Metal Student Cordless LED Field Biological Compound Microscope with All Optical Glass Lenses" to teach my daughter about science. The microscope arrived properly packaged and in good condition. This is the SX-BL unit based on the documentation that came with the unit. The images included in the product description give a good idea of how items will appear in the microscope when it is used properly. The unit itself is lightweight but capable. Some notes:

There is no fine control knob. This can make focusing at high magnifications tricky. Use very small increments, and focus at lower magnifications first.

There is no explanation for the use of the condenser aperture (The rotating plastic disk with the various sized holes in it attached to the underside of the stage) in the instructions.

The eyepiece is easily replaced with the aid of a 2mm #0 Phillips head screwdriver. I got mine at Radio Shack. There is a small brass set screw on the barrel of the microscope that holds the eyepiece in place. Back the screw out until the eyepiece comes free when swapping the 10X and 25X eyepieces. Combined with the 4X, 10X and 40X objectives that gives 40X-100X-250X-400X-1000X magnification steps. I will have to double check, but believe these are standard DIN objectives.

All in all a solid piece of equipment for a VERY reasonable price.
11 comment| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2015
I'll put gripes first. None of these are deal breakers. Just things to look for when I go for a higher end microscope.

There are two knobs, but they move together. In science class, I had one coarse zoom and one fine. This microscope has no fine zoom.
Not quite as clear as higher-end microscopes. Still quite clear.
It's a pain to switch between the 10x and 25x eyepieces.

This is my first tabletop (as opposed to pocket) microscope, and I'm actually very please. I've looked at tiny things swimming in pond scum, cells, louse eggs, sperm, salt, sugar. If you don't have a microscope, and you're interested in the tiny world around you, this is a great price. I don't regret my purchase at all, and am excited to look at more things tomorrow.
on May 11, 2016
Bought this for my incredibly curious husband. I also bought some slides to go with it. It's great! He and the kids love combing the house and yard for things to look at. The battery power or power cord options are great and the magnification is powerful enough for all kinds of things. Great beginner's microscope!
on November 12, 2013
This microscope was easy to use and I could see clearly through the lens. It's well made and seem to be durable. I read the reviews before purchasing and one said the focus knob has to be held or it goes out of focus. I went ahead and purchased it because all the other reviews I read were good. The focus problem is TRUE. Lets say you get an object in clear focus and want to show your child what you're looking at; if you let go of the focus knob for a second it blurs and needs refocused. This is they only flaw I've had with the microscope. It's works for what I bought it for.......
on January 4, 2014
The qualityvof the product is cheap. The focus is very poor. The big problem was that the product came looking like a refurbished, the lens was detached from the body. I had to get my tools to unscrew 3 small screws to get to the main screw that attaches the lens to the body. It was really hard to due to the tight location and I was not able to attach them perfectly. It was a bad idea for a holiday gift.
on March 9, 2017
I totally thought the price would foreshadow the lack of quality, but it's great! We have a lot of fun with this. Definitely buy some of the ready made slides that are suggested, they are awesome for your little scientist.
on November 30, 2015
I am not an expert at microscopes and have not used one since college. We bought this for our kids as we home-school. The magnification options seem great for a beginner microscope. The craftsmanship seems pretty solid. I was disappointed in the light adjustments as they seem to do very little. We just resorted to using a Kleenex over the light source for specimens that are very thin or far spaced on the slide. This problem could be user error. We've looked at blood, ovary and stamen of lilies, and many other specimens and the quality seems great. My kids love it. It is easy to use and sturdy. There are accessories but not so many that it becomes overwhelming. We are happy with this product for sure.