Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 366 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 487 reviews
on February 11, 2015
Mila 18 is an epic novel by Leon Uris. Leon painstakingly researched the Warsaw Ghetto and the Uprising and the facts are historically correct. However, he used his imagination as a fiction writer to create the characters and their conversations and movements. Some of the characters are real and were actually in the Ghetto and did what he says they did. Rosenblum, for instance, did write a journal about what was going on in the Ghetto and he did bury writings, diaries, histories, etc. in milk cans and other canisters at various spots in Warsaw. Some were actually retrieved; but some are still lost. This is not a book to be read in one sitting or even two. It is a book to be savored and thought about as you are reading. Although not necessary, knowing something of the history of the Warsaw ghetto, the Uprising, and the Nazis, it does help to understand the actions of the characters better.
In addition to being a story about the ghetto and the uprising, an attempt to understand how different people react to the same circumstances. He shows how and tells why some Jews became collaborators and “betrayed” their own, sometimes even their own families. As it begins before WWII, you see how those who considered themselves not to be Jews were drawn into helping the Nazis. It explains how the Jewish ruling group in the Ghetto came about and how each member dealt with what he had to do.
His book also shows how women were controlled by their husbands and fathers prior to WWII and how that changed as the war continues. Some were forced by circumstances to break out of the mold and become independent young women. Rachael, for example, defied her father by living with Wolf. He refused to allow the marriage by himself and made sure the other Jews knew he did not condone marriage thus leaving them to live together in “sin”. What is interesting is that Rachael does have the consent of her mother to do this. Deborah was in an arranged marriage and found herself basically a slave to her husband. She met Christopher de Monti before the war and had an affair with him. When given a chance to leave the Ghetto with Christopher, she refused and stayed with her children in the Ghetto. Christopher, an Italian by passport, refused to leave since he couldn’t leave Deborah even though he doesn’t see her anymore. Leon Uris delves into changes in social standards as he writes.
The book is very good and very well written. It is another book that brings history to life.
on August 16, 2015
This book should be republished. I sought a hard copy and could only find something very old, no recent edition. The parallels between those times and today's political correctness Nazis are sobering. To paraphrase, " those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it". What is happening today does not reach the level of the atrocities of the WW2 Nazis but they didn't get there overnight. The rise of the third Reich started years before with control of thought through control of language. The defeat of freedom and liberty is not brought about by an avalanche, but rather by an erosion of thought and morality. Political correctness is just such an erosion. Today's enforcers of pure thought and language are tomorrows storm troopers. .As some of the characters in the book illustrate, some refused to believe the totality of the evil of the thought police even when it was pounding on their door. Books like this should be revived and studied for freedom is such a fragile commodity.
on June 18, 2014
The transcribing on this was exceptionally poor. Missing punctuation, misplaced punctuation, and inappropriate capitalization are spoiling this classic by a vaunted author. I haven't read it in quite some years, but I know better than to think that this is how Leon Uris used dialect in character portrayal. Now I'm beginning to wonder what might have been left out. I'm really disappointed in this purchase of a piece of literature that I know is better. I don't know who did the transcribing, but if you read this, shame on you.
on June 11, 2016
This is a great novel by an iconic author. I read a good deal and I am embarrassed to confess I had only recently become aware of this novel. Leon Uris is able to make me identify with the characters and care about both the story and what happens to the characters. I have come to learn that this is what makes me love any novel as opposed to just another read. Some authors do not or cannot make me care about the characters.

I have been reading Leon Uris novels in the order in which they were published and also studying the author. Consequently, I had previously read other novels such as "Battle Cry" and "Exodus". I usually like to read the work of authors in chronological order. However, if I had to do this again, I would read MILA 18 before I read Exodus.

Also, by coincidence, I had recently read a more modern novel, "The Nightengale". This was a book club selection. If one likes MILA 18, one might consider The Nightengale. I personally preferred MILA 18, but I am very glad I read The Nightengal. Thank You...
on November 7, 2014
Although I have researched and studied the Holocaust for many years, I had not read Leon Uris’ “Mila 18” until now. The book is an excellent retelling of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising during World War II, with memorable characters and vivid descriptions of events that took place before and during the uprising.
The Jewish characters and the Poles who helped them were believable and through Uris’ descriptions and I felt their pain as they fought their oppressors. The German characters were sufficiently evil and there was no question that I despised them and everything they stood for.
It is especially interesting to get know to the strengths and weaknesses of the Jewish and Polish characters. Andrei Androfski, the Jew who is a leader in the uprising, is a complicated man whose weaknesses are outweighed by his bravery. Chris de Monti, an American-Italian journalist, becomes brave enough to fulfill his mission of getting diaries of the Jews in the ghetto to the outside world.
As I watched the uprising unfold, I gained a better understanding of the human side of the tragedy and what the fighters faced. Not only are the Germans the enemy, but Jewish collaborators make the characters more determined to fight to the death.
After 70 years, it is still perplexing why the people of the world, even after hearing of the horrors in Warsaw and Poland, did nothing to help people who were being annihilated. Uris does not try to address the “whys,” but expertly tells the story of those who were abandoned and chose to fight.
on February 14, 2013
I'm not much of a writer and don't think I can do justice to this very powerful book in a personal review. However, I wanted to add my five stars to a book that I found beautifully written and compulsively readable. This story about the struggle of Jews in the Warsaw ghetto circa 1940-43 was profoundly moving, enlightening, disturbing.

I also can't fathom the day-to-day, hour-to-hour horrors that these people endured, the pain of trying to stay alive with no heat, no water, the barest scraps of food, dozens of new corpses in the streets every day from cold, starvation or suicide, and the determination of the German military to wipe them off the face of the earth. And I cannot imagine the kind of bravery and imagination it took the Polish Jews to keep coming up with new ways to evade capture, and the courage of the non-Jews who were willing to risk their lives -- in a way none of us in 2013 America are likely to know -- to provide support to the Jews.

I am not able to testify to the historical accuracy of the book, though others have done it here. I suspect it's like other Uris books that I've read (Exodus, QB VII, Armageddon) -- a lot of documented history combined with artistic license and a reflection of personal viewpoints.

I thought it was a great book and I would definitely recommend it.

Thank you.
on October 29, 2016
I bought Mila 18 as a gift for my husband who had got into the history of Hitler's treatment of the countries he invaded in Europe. He loves history, and although this is a work of fiction, it closely follows the events that actually happened. I have not read it in over 20 years. It made such an impression on me that I never forgot it. It is a tragic story of the NAZI invasion of Poland and the Warsaw ghetto. I have always thought it should be mandatory reading for high school students as it describes the terrible treatment of one people by another during WWII.
on March 6, 2017
I never review books and i read about 1 a week. This one I just had to !
It was written the year i was born, so - its old !
Although a dark time in the history of the world, this novel incorporates factual events and will rip at your emotions from several angles.
Exodus and Trinity were deemed Uris's best, but "Mila 18" is one of the most amazing historical fiction novels ive ever read - i cannot recommend highly enough !
Mr Uris has been gone since 2003, but his work will live forever !
on September 14, 2016
The most riveting tome I have read on the holocaust. It brought everything to a human level and showed greatness of humanity against the most bestial human systems, savaged individuals against an army of savages. This story showed the exact, horrible meaning of NEVER AGAIN.
on October 14, 2016
The magnificent Author Uris has taken the reader into the midst of the bravest and most unevenly matched battle in the history of the world. No mention in past readings of the horrors of the Warsaw Ghetto uprising have gotten to the core of the heroism of these unfortunate multitudes final moments during this battle of good versus evil. For me this was a shocking revelation of mans indecency to all that is good in life.