Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 98 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 148 reviews
on November 23, 2011
First of all, Amazon - please limit reviews to those that actually own what they are "reviewing". I consider Amazon reviews a good resource but do not like having to wade thru the worthless gripes of non-owners that better belong on camera forums.

I am a certified professional photographer and use Nikon and Leica "full frame" equipment for my commercial and portraiture work. However, for my daily walks I often want to use a good compact camera which was a Lumix LX5. I have used a few images from this camera for a gallery I sell in but find that in the large print sizes (20" or so) the small sensor just does not quite get it. So I have been looking for a better compact camera and was pleased to see the Nikon 1 system with a somewhat larger sensor. After reading some reviews I decided the weight, size, and lack of control did not make sense for me. But after reading an open minded and knowledgeable review by Rob Galbraith I changed my mind. As to the size compared to larger sensor cameras he actually compares them with lenses' on the body, unlike other reviews, and it shows that it is indeed very compact in comparison. He also compares the simplicity to Apple design, which being an Apple computer convert, caught my attention. Some reviewers confuse the simplicity of the control layout with lack of control and that is a false assumption. The black body is also a very nice, simple, elegant, design

I bought the 2 zoom lens kit from Amazon, and liked it so much I bought the 10mm lens a few days later. I was even lucky enough to find a flash.

Some initial thoughts:

- Yes it much bigger than my LX5 but not too big as a larger sensor system would be for my use.
- Focus is at least as fast as my Nikon D3 and fast glass, and exposure is almost always right on.
- I use the camera in aperture mode, and it is very fast and easy to change aperture, and you can do it while looking thru the viewfinder. I prefer it to a dial.
- The menu is very well done and I like that it stays where you last used it. For instance, if you just changed the ISO, if you want to change again, just hit the menu button and you are at the ISO line, no searching thru the whole menu again.
- Preliminary thoughts on lense's - the 10-30 is soft in the corners wide open, but have not tried it since the recent firmware upgrade. The 10mm is great! The 30-110 is fun - such a long range in such a small lens. It seems quite sharp but not much testing yet.
- Just got the flash today. More good thinking by Nikon - has bounce and rotates and is light as it requires no batteries. Exposures made inside, bounce and direct, look nice and even. It of course will take down the charge on the camera battery but one of the good things about the "chunky" body is it has room for a large battery
- Having the flexibility to change lens on a compact camera is super. Today I had a lens on the camera and a lens each in of the pockets of the light jacket I was wearing for my walk and the lens in the pockets were so light they were barely noticeable.
- Looking forward to the adapter for my Nikkor 50 1.4 and 85 1.4
- Great camera for fast, from the hip, shooting. The LCD can easily be turned off, the viewfinder is off until you bring it to your eye, so you can leave the camera power on for a fast grab shot without draining the battery
- Lenses do not go on with the quality feel I get from the D3, the 10mm even feels a little rough
- Glad that Nikon had the courage to start an all new sensor size - it may not be for everyone but is exactly what I was looking for

That is all for now, will update this review as I learn more about the camera system.
11 comment| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2012
I bought this camera to travel around Africa because I didn't want to lug around a Nikon D3S and all the lenses. The thought of having them stolen there was enough to motivate me to find an alternative system. I decided on the Nikon V1 with the 10-30mm and the 30-100mm as well as the flash (which is a no brainer), a 50mm 1.8 (which I barely used), and the adapter to fit Nikon lenses. I also brought my Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8.

The good: This camera with the Nikon 1 lenses is a fantastic video camera with excellent auto focus! It's small which is great because people are not intimidated by it and you don't have to lug around a huge camera/lenses all day/night. As for the focus, it's very good in daylight; it struggles and tends to hunt a bit in darker situations. Image quality is very good as long as you don't get camera shake or have a fast enough shutter speed. Battery life was excellent, I took thousands of images daily and only once didn't make it through the day. There are plenty of options in the settings that will give you full creativity with shutter speed, aperture, and a host of other settings so you have total control over your images. I love the flash because it uses the camera battery, is very small but works excellent.

The bad: I got very frustrated with not only the shutter lag but also camera shuts off after time, which caused me to miss some nice moments. Being used to a D3S, this is obviously and adjustment and not something everyone will run into. The Nikon 1 lenses are sharp but the 5.6 aperture is a bummer for me as all my Nikon glass is 2.8 or faster, so another adjustment. ISO was a little grainy at 3200 but I actually liked the look it gave these specific images of Africa, on the gritty side. With the adapter, you can strap on any Nikon lens but you lose a lot of functionality like continues focus, the ability to move focus points so that kinda of sucks in some situations, especially for video where you pretty much have to use the Nikon 1 lenses. Shooting in manual mode is a bit strange, it was not real precise, you can move the shutter speed 2-3 stops before the meter will start to move, so I stuck to aperture priority most of the time.

All in all, there wasn't a single day that I would have traded my tiny little V1 for my D3s and big heavy lenses (although there were a few moments I would have liked to have my pro gear). The V1 served me very well and I love this little camera. I would strongly recommend it to pros and hobbyist alike for a serious travel camera or just going out with friends.
on October 20, 2014
I was thinking about my old FM 10 35mm film camera when I looked over and saw my V1 sitting on my dresser. It was then that I realized why I love this camera so much. I've seen people complain that changing controls is slow and it can't bracket. I've seen others say that this camera truly fits what photography is. I have to side with the latter because of my FM10.

See, for those who don't know, the FM10 was Nikon's last fully manual 35mm SLR. It was targeted towards students learning photography. It was this camera that I first learned who to "properly" take photos. I eventually moved on to automatic SLRs, but always kept my FM10 handy. Eventually I gave it to my best friend when he wanted to learn, and regretted it soon after.

With this V1, I feel like I have my FM10 all over again. I didn't want a DSLR because the bodies are just too large to be carrying around. I always wanted a film rangefinder, but could never afford one (still can't apparently). The body very much reminds me of a range finder in size and build, but of course, isn't one. But I do like that to compose a photo, I have to adjust the shutter speed and aperture before each shot. I love that I have to work on my zoom to compose the shot correctly (I do miss a prime lens and should invest in one). I love that I have to slow down and really decide how I want the shot, fast shutter speed or small aperture. Finally, I love that I have the option between a mechanical or electronic shutter speed, as I like the actual tactile feel and sound of the mechanical shutter vs the electronic shutter (although the electronic shutter allows for more discretion). And of course, having a EVF standard is just icing. I can't compose a shot at arms length. I even fold my arms as close as I can when using my phone to prevent the awkwardness of holding the camera so far from the body, something that is counter intuitive to someone who was always taught to keep your elbows close to the body, the camera body in the palm of your hand and the other hand on the side and over the shutter button for stability.

Overall, my suggestion for this camera is simple, don't treat it as a replacement for your DSLR. Don't look for at this as a camera that will do everything for you (it actually will). And finally, don't look for at this as a camera that acts like a good automatic that will allow you to change settings on the fly. Look at this camera as a digital version of that old manual camera that a lot of us in our 30s and older grew up using. Frankly, with everything being done automatically or instantaneously, I like slowing down a bit to make sure I get it right. Just like I did when I first picked up my FM10 15 years ago.
on December 26, 2016
My V1 is a refurbished unit that did NOT include a charger. No biggie, i got one the same day and began shooting. No...This camera will never come close to the capabilities of cameras with a larger sensor and higher MP ratings. But MP ratings don't tell the whole story. Optics, the physical lenses, are a very important part of the "picture." Nikon has a full line of lenses available for the V1. Mine came with the Nikor 10-30 lens. The lens is more than adaquete for the type of shooting I do, if my needs change I'm confident I can find a lens to suit.
The controls and Menu(s) are more involved than the Nikon Coolpix I have but, with a little time I've become familar with all camera functions. My one and only "gripe" is the cameras low-light capabilities. There is no "timed" or ""open shutter" function which makes very low light or night sky shots all but impossible. If there isn't certain, minimum amount of light? The camera will not shoot.
on April 9, 2014
My motive was an to upgrade from a P&S (Canon S100). As far as quality of photo is certainly is an improvement. The surprise is that it is more of an improvement than expected. And the price is very good now that the V3 was announced.

I compared a couple of photos taken side by side with the V1 vs my D5100 and after making some minor exposure and contrast adjustment to make them as alike as possible, I printed the results. Up to 5x7 there is no real difference except depth of field; at 8x10 you see that the resolution of the D5100 is greater though you might not notice it unless you look at them side by side. These were photos made of stationary subjects in good light in good light. More difficult conditions would probably result in more apparent differences.

It was heavier than I expected. This is both good and bad. External controls are pretty basic so you have to use the menu for things you would normally handle with a dial in a DLSR. I usually set my DLSR to "A" but considering how much DOF the short lenses that seems pointless. So far setting the mode to "P" appears the best choice. Similarly, the auto-focus is so good that combined with the inherent DOF manual focus with this camera is a waste of time - it's also inconvenient.

Overall, its not a P&S and its not a DSLR. In stead it overlaps the functionality of each. And is more likely to get used than either of the others. This may change after a couple of months, of course.
on December 2, 2012
My goal for the Nikon 1 V1 was from the first a DSLR replacement. I've been a user of Nikon DSLRs for a decade, and I've got a lot of Nikon lenses to show for it! The problem is that I have too many for some trips; adventure travel isn't a place where you can change lenses so if you need just the right lens you end up with a DSLR back for each one. That's a lot of bulk and weight, particularly for lenses you only need for special situations. My normal shooting is with a D7000 and 80-400mm VR lens and I had a D200 with a 17-55 DX lens for closer work. The problem was that the lens zoom range ended well short of the 80-400 and the D200 is a big and heavy body. I decided to try the Nikon 1 V1 as an alternative to buying another D7000, and I also got my wife a J1 at the same time.

The camera is much more solid than you'd think from the pictures; it doesn't feel chintzy. The standard kit lenses (10-30 and 30-110) work fine, probably at least as well as the standard kit lenses on the D3000 or D5000 series. Since the Nikon 1 has a smaller CCD, the "focal multiplier" is 2.7, so the 110 end of the zoom is nearly 300mm in 35mm terms. My wife uses the kit lenses exclusively and in most shots it's hard to tell the difference.

If you want to mount a "real" Nikon or Nikon-compatible DSLR lens, you need the FT-1 adapter, which provides not only the fitting of the lens but also a place to attach a tripod or strap. DO NOT put one of the big lenses on if you plan to hang the Nikon 1 around your neck on a standard camera-back strap, or use the wrist strap! It will put too much strain on the mount. I got a BlackRapid RS7 to use as a strap; it can attach to the FT1 or to the tripod collar of a big lens. Up to about 200mm the FT-1 mount point seems fine for a strap, but heavy lenses will hang funny if you don't use the lens collar as the mount point.

The D200 is a 10MP camera just like the Nikon 1 and I hoped to get equivalent pictures, but the Nikon 1 did MUCH better. The ISO range on the Nikon 1 is 100-6400, while the D200 only went to ISO 1600. The extra ISO headroom is great for wildlife shots, and digital noise at ISO 3200 (the top end of the auto-ISO range) is better than the D200 at ISO 1600. With a touch of noise reduction, all the images I've shot are fine even at ISO 6400.

Two recommendations on the camera if you're a DSLR shooter. First, set the exposure mode to Manual or Shutter Priority; Program Mode isn't useful with Auto-ISO because you can't really control the shutter speed and with the normal DSLR lenses (which are typically longer focal length) the 2.7 multiplier on the Nikon 1 makes hand-holding difficult. Second, SHOOT IN RAW MODE! There is an enormous difference in image quality between JPEG and RAW.

I liked the first Nikon 1 V1 so much I bought a second one, so now for wildlife trips I hope to have one permanently mounted on the 500mm and one on the 17-55, which turns out to be a great walkaround lens for the Nikon 1. Great camera!
on June 3, 2013
Not sure this is the perfect all-round camera, but a great travel camera, especially for those who have larger Nikon digital SLRs. Here's why:

- Camera RAW mode makes all the difference in getting great color under difficult lighting.
- Same great auto white balance, auto focus, easy compensations and overrides as larger Nikons
- The viewfinder is very handy out in the sun.
- Internal logic and menu systems very similar to my D700. Very little to learn here - just start using it. And lots of options
- Uses same batteries, remote & memory cards as D700, and that's a major plus.

A couple of negatives:

- I've read the tiny sensor is noisier than larger Nikons. Yes, think that's true - see it in low light. But that's what makes it small. Lenses are downsized as well as the camera body, and that's possible only because of the small sensor. It's not what you'd choose for a paying job, but for personal photos quality is very high.
- It's small, but not a pocket camera. The perfect travel camera would fit in my jeans - but hey, I've got a cell phone for that, and this does a lot more, produces a much better image.
on April 12, 2014
Nikon 1 V1 is the camera that got me into mirrorless cameras. V1 paired with 18.5mm f/1.8 is simply awesome. Nikon 1 has small cameras with small lenses. Sony Nex has small cameras but many of their lenses are large. Nikon 1 has very fast and accurate af and even has very good tracking and continuous af. It has incredible burst rate as well which makes it kid friendly. It's a great family camera. It's also great for candid shots as the camera can be not simply quiet, but silent. Using electric shutter rather than the mechanical shutter which V1 also supports, there is no shutter noise, no af confirmation beep, and silent autofocus make possible for candid shots without making any noise. Fast af, size, and silent camera make it great for streets as well. V1 also has a very good electric view finder as well as great lcd display. The build quality is superb with magnesium alloy in the front, but not in the back. Back is made of tough plastic. I also like the minimalist design as well.

Cons:
I do like the articulating display of Sony Nex Cameras. Paired with the silent shooting, it would help with candid shots and more interesting shots from various angles. Touch display with touch shutter paired with the fast af would have been great just like the latest Olympus Pen series. I just don't understand why Nikon less so much empty spaces on the dial when they could have added PASM modes on the dial instead of menu. Come on, even the advance point and shoots have PASM. If you are going to had a mode dial, why leave those out? Even the newest J3 and J4 still leaves those modes out. Why is Nikon being so stubborn in leaving those modes out? 1" sensor does has more noise even at base iso especially in the low light. (Still acceptable but it will bother the pixel peepers knowing that they get less noise and more resolution with other mirrorless cameras with bigger sensors.)

Conclusion:
The 1" sensor people criticize is able to produce beautiful pictures for prints and computer screens for most part. Pixel peepers may be disappointed due to more noise and smaller resolution compared to the competition. Still, V1 is an incredible camera that is able to deliver great results and extremely fun camera to use with great build and evf.
on December 1, 2012
I have been either a photography student, professional photographer, and/or photography teacher for the past 18 years. I learned on a fully manual film camera and still use my beloved Nikon FM2 film camera a lot. Of course, back the film days, I had an F5 for when it seemed necessary, but I am a petite woman (under 5' tall) with small hands and the F5 was chore to use. When digital sensors came out I was disappointed to see them only go into the large SLR bodies. I have always wanted a digital equivalent of a fully manual SLR. The smaller, lighter, plasticy "prosumer" DSLRs seemed like a poor compromise to me. I was hoping the new mirrorless cameras would fit the bill. I read a lot of reviews, went to stores to hold various cameras and settled on this Nikon. I have been using it for almost 2 weeks now, shooting in a lot of different conditions and I am very happy with the camera.

This is the perfect camera for a photographer like me. I am not a gearhead...as long as the image quality is sufficient, I am happy. I need a camera that works like a screwdriver, not a supercomputer. This is not a camera for a gearhead or a lazy photographer. I would think it could also be a great camera for an enthusiast or amateur wanting to learn and improve. The camera is beautifully designed, feels great in the hands, and the controls are intuitive and responsive. With the electronic shutter, stabilization, and no mirror, I can successfully handhold the camera at a half second shutter speed with no camera shake...pretty cool! Those who complain about the lens selection can buy a converter for use with larger Nikon lens. Those who complain about a lack of "grip" can buy an attachable grip from Amazon ($30 for generic, $70 for Nikon) but I see no need for it. Some reviewers complain about having to go into menus, but I don't find it problematic. You can easily use the auto exposure and auto focus locks to avoid having to change many settings in the menu. Who needs to change ISO in a split second anyway? (Again, this is coming from someone who is comfortable with a fully manual film camera, so take my opinion with a grain of salt). I have had no problem with the flash connector cover coming off as others have complained about. The battery life is great, the viewfinder is great, and the camera is very fast. It is easy enough to use that I can put it auto mode and my husband can use it with great results.

Looking at the new V2, it seems that the gearheads may have already killed this great camera (like they kill so many great things). This new design has been "improved" to address the complaints of reviewers (translated = gearheads). I prefer the design and simplicity of the V1. For under $400, the V1 is a great investment.
on November 9, 2012
I have owned the Nikon V1 wide angle kit for some months now. I shoot candid photos, and landscape panoramics. This machine was designed to perfection for my needs. It's very simple looking black body does not disturb people, and they relax very quickly after noticing it. Maybe it looks enough like a cell phone with the very small 10mm prime lens attached.

I chuckled about it's manual shutter until I tried it. The sound and slight vibration of it's operation give me valuable tactile input. It also seems to give better results. The 5 frames per second continuous mode is about right for gentle action like rock climbing or changing facial expressions.

I have been shooting raw frames, and am very satisfied with the sharpness and color saturation that the cx sensor is capable of. The kit lens has some distortion, which can be removed easily. The 10 mm prime lens captures images that are good right out of the camera. Also, this prime lens has no moving parts on the outside. It is suited to our desert air, which is burdened with dust. It does not change length, so once it is attached [hopefully, in a clean location], it has no way to draw dust into the body.

The 10 megapixel limit of the sensor can be daunting. I shoot my landscapes with 3 to 30 overlapping frames, ending up with a huge image that can be printed out mural-sized. So, the 10 mp frame is plenty of resolution. I benefit from the speed of the camera, because I have to pivot the camera on the tripod, and trigger it multiple times with the remote, all before the clouds move very far. If you must do this with a single frame, you will have to spend quite a bit more for the body and lenses.

As far as build quality, this model is very strong. It looks simple and pretty, feels like a little brick of solid metal in the hand, and operates like a miniature professional camera. The electronic viewfinder is perfect for eye level operation in all conditions, and the screen works very well when holding the camera at arms length, or using it on a tripod. I have never once wished for the screen to tilt, or accept touch commands. I prefer sturdy build and simplicity to wealth of features.

The menu system works well once you find everything. I was pleasantly surprised by the ease of full manual operation. Shutter and aperture each have a control. There is an exposure indicator, but the live view does not reflect the exposure chosen. You have to snap one to see where you are at. It is better to use manual focus for low light landscapes to prevent focus seeking. Then, you must remember to switch back to auto, or all subsequent shots will be blurry. There is a warning in the evf and on the screen than you are still in manual focus mode, but there is no external switch to remind you.

The external flash is a must if you will face low light, and it works really well without requiring it's own batteries. It swivels in many directions, and throws enough light for nighttime gatherings and to provide fill flash of flowers and portraits and pets. The 18.5 mm f1.8 lens with the small 'innie' hood works very well with the flash, as the coverage is very even at this focal length, the focus assist light is not blocked, and enough light hits the sensor to focus easily. I am glad that Nikon did not include a pop up flash on this model.

In short, if you like simple, durable devices, and you do not require more than a 10 mega pixel sensor, this little camera [and it's surprisingly sharp lenses] might be for you.

update after one year:

I have been shooting the V1 pretty constantly for the last year. I learned a lot about the wonderful machine, and do not regret my choice in any way. I have added the 30 - 110 mm zoom, and the 18.5 mm f1.8 prime, and really can't say enough about the sharpness and color and contrast of these optics.

The long zoom has uncanny ability to cut through distance haze, and remains contrasty and crisp in difficult lighting conditions like strong backlight. The huge lens hood is an absolute must for anything but night shots. And, as i feared, the lens's huge range of expansion brings dust into the interior, where is makes the action raspy. I have not noticed reduced optical quality, but i think that primes will last much, much longer than zooms in dirty or damp environments.

The 18.5 is the perfect normal lens, and I am never tempted to attach the 10 - 30 mm kit lens with the 2 primes in my bag. The exception is macro stills and video, where the kit lens focuses well, and the active Vibration Reduction compensates for hand shake or tripod jiggle. An example is: [...] is a 4 minute beekeeping documentary that i shot with the kit lens and a spindly tripod.

I have not dropped the camera onto a hard surface, but have used it for roped shooting of rock climbing in high winds, and rainy hikes. It has taken many blows without any complaint, and has worn 2 system bags to tatters! i get lots more usable video footage and sharper stills than with other camera models that I have tried. [And, i get less tired holding it!]

As far as processing is concerned, The lens profiles are available from adobe, by downloading the newest dng converter. One should not even look at the raw images [especially those of the crazy sharp 18.5 mm] without applying the lens corrections. Once corrected, images from every lens are evenly lit and free of distortion and fringing. They are very suitable for automatically stitching together. You will have to use this technique to print huge images from this small sensor. holding the camera vertically, and shooting 3 overlapping shots left to right gives you a single horizontal composite image that could have come from the D 800 E.

I have ordered the 20 dollar fotodiox f mount adaptor, and plan to experiment with legacy glass next. I have the 75 - 150 zoom, and will order the renowned 50 mm f1.8 manual focus prime as well. Sports should be quite impossible with manual focus and exposure, but the sunsets and night shots are already done using a tripod, and with manual settings. I will order a set of extension tubes with the 50 mm lens, as these old optics might make pretty good macro lenses. You will see a detailed update to this review after my experiments.

Once again, if you are worried about the postage stamp sized sensor, I suggest that you order a 300 dollar V1 body and the 18.5 mm prime lens. Give it a week or 2 to get used to it before you start forming your opinion. The menu system and the fast prime are both a little hard to use at first. To shoot single shots rapidly, you have to press the shutter halfway down when the annoying preview appears. Other times, it is relaxing to evaluate the preview for a few seconds without the hurry. You will get many many great action shots by using the 5 frame per second manual shutter and a fast SD card. The clicking of the leaf shutter in the lens seems to give a better result, and the right amount of sensory input for your timing. You will get the expressions that you have always longed for by shooting people at 10 frames per second with the electronic shutter. It is silent, and there is no hint that you are shooting. You see a sort of movie of the shots that is useful for composing, but neither subject or photographer gets much sensory input.

The One Year Verdict?

This is the best candid or street camera available for the price. One routinely gets strangely great video, and crispy, focused stills for panoramic compositions or smaller sports shots. It is a pretty good macro camera for birds and bees and such. You will be limited to about a 2 foot print with a carefully processed 10 megapixel shot. You WILL need a larger sensor to obtain the shallowest depth of field, take very long exposures [without noise], or to print out a mural from a single still. you will need the weather sealed model [the AW1], and one of the 2 O-ring lenses to go under water.

And a final warning. The lenses for this system are cost effective, but they are addictive. It is hard to stop thinking about and ordering new optics. And, you will not experience much benefit from the new lens mount if you do change the lens! This is a strong, growing system, and it appears to be here for the long haul. It is for folks that love light and photography and portability, and not so great for those that love to compare complicated gizmos. It can be with you at all times, freeing you from the agonizing 'take or not take' choice! Thanks for reading!

On using the manual focus, manual aperture lenses

I have used 3 of the Nikkor ais lenses with the V1 at this point. I have been using the fotodiox adapter, which has it's own tripod mount. The lenses can be carried in ones bag with the adapter attached and a spare series one rear lens cap to seal it up.

I have written detailed instructions for using the manual lenses with the fotodiox adapter in my review for that product. So here, I will talk about what the legacy glass does to the systems usability.

The 50 mm f1.8 ais is a must! Attached to the adapter, it is roughly the same size as the 30 - 110 mm zoom collapsed, and maybe twice the weight. The first element is deeply recessed, and can be used safely with no hood. It gets absurdly sharp images that compare favorably with those obtained using the 18.5 mm f1.8. And where that is a 200 dollar normal lens, this is a 135 mm equivalent of the same impressive speed. and, It will cost less, even with an adapter and a metal hood. I was worried about finding my own exposure without any help from the camera, but the V1's rapid shooting speed allow one to fine tune their exposure in 30 seconds or so. What you see in the viewfinder is adjusted, but the review that shows up after the shot reflects the recorded exposure. A peak at the histogram is sometimes needed. Manual focus turned out to be much easier than expected, even without viewfinder magnification. You can focus before closing the aperture for precision, or after, to control the depth of field very carefully. I get about 70 - 80 % crispy shots, so I shoot some extras.

the 75 - 150 f3.5 E lens covers the next range of focal lengths. It shoots like a fast 200 - 400 mm equivalent. Because one is only using the center, it is sharp from edge to edge throughout it's range. You would think that a lens with this much magnification would not be useful without VR, But some low light sports shots quickly cured me of that confusion. I had some blurry shots from my poor panning, and some focusing errors, and a decent percentage of crispy raw images. These early manual lenses are very small and easy to handle, and use standard 52mm filters and hoods. Once you mount the long lens on a sturdy tripod, focus carefully, and stop the lens down, every landscape shot is perfect. The sharpness and contrast are extreme, and the color is different than the 1 lenses, but great! The lack of auto-focus and auto exposure is a benefit for landscapes. The cost is a tiny fraction of what one would pay for a 'modern' lens, and the build quality surpasses any plastic lens by a mile. Get this lens for 60 dollars, and if you can not focus it, it will be the coolest paperweight that anyone has [or, you can throw it at this reviewer!]

the 43 - 86 f3.5 ais is the first compact zoom lens that Nikon ever made. It is still an amazing short telephoto on the 1 system, and a handy portrait lens on a dx or fx sensor. You get the idea. You can have a handful of the cheap adapters, and a big bag of sharp, fast manual glass for the price of a modern plastic zoom lens. I have ordered more adapters, as well as extension tubes and hoods. The next lens that i will get is either the 200 mm f4 ais or the 300 mm f4.5 ais. I will post a few full resolution samples taken with legacy glass at my picasa page.