Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 142 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 151 reviews
on November 14, 2012
I had a lot of spare parts hanging around and wanted to build a budget HTPC, but needed a motherboard for them. This is a great buy for the price. Gigabyte makes a good product as well and has been very reliable for me in the past. I wanted to go for a smaller Mini-ITX board, but when you compare a Micro-ITX to a Mini-ITX you aren't really looking at a huge difference in size. If you are needing compatibility with older LGA775 Socket CPU's then please note this is compatible with the Intel Core 2 Extreme/2 Quad/2 Duo/Pentium/Celeron processors. The available Mini-ITX boards that are out there for LGA775 don't have any additional PCI-E slots which was a requirement for me. The added PCI and PCI-e slots are nice to have for any additional add-ons in the future. When it can no longer handle my media decoding needs I'll most likely add another NIC and turn it into a Linux based Gateway/Firewall.

It's nice to see Gigabyte including older connectors on this board as well. Most users won't need IDE nowadays nor the parallel port or serial port. They cold have left these out and added some additional connections like HDMI, or E-Sata.

I am using a core 2 duo e6600, 60GB SSD (boot Drive), 2 x 1TB HDD for Internal Media Storage, 8GB of DDR3 Memory, a Low Profile HD 7750, a generic ASUS Bluray Rom, and 450W Power Supply. All this is inside the Silverstone ML03B case. I've slightly overclocked the CPU and am able to play any content out on the market. A lot of people will have you think that you need to spend a lot on a very powerful machine to playback the most recent high bit rate Anime or Bluray content, but that's just not true. I spent $54 on this motherboard and pieced it together with parts from older computers and was able to achieve the same results that other people would have you believe can only be done with new and expensive hardware.
44 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 24, 2014
This board would get five stars if it had been less picky regarding its choice of memory. I ordered a newer version of the ram that amazon was promoting for it (slightly cheaper). It didn't do anything except waste a day of my time to start with. Finally I realized that either the board was bad or it didn't like the ram, so I took it to a shop and had them test it with different ddr3. Up it went, so great news, but sure sucked spending the time to get there. The gpu seems to be savvy with recent kid games... one of the reasons I got it .... It is performing beautifully at this point. The ram that failed was kingston hyperx fury 8gb kit blue ... the ram that worked was Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 Unbuffered UDIMM 240-Pin Desktop Memory Modules CT2CP51264BA160B http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00683X4PQ/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_14
on August 5, 2014
THIS BOARD IS VERY PICKY WITH MEMORY! I wanted 2x4 gig and there was very little 4 gig modules marked as supported by Gigabyte. After trying about 4 different brands and speeds I went with http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00683X4PQ/ Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 Unbuffered UDIMM 240-Pin Desktop Memory Modules CT2CP51264BA160B that works perfectly. Also if you put memory in both slots and it makes about 15 rapid beeps and resets that means the memory won't work. Clearing slot 1 should allow it to work using just one module. However if you want dual channel get the memory I listed above.

I always ran ASUS boards and never had any issues like this, I just wanted a cheap board for my security camera dvr system to house a Core 2 Duo I had laying around and looks like i got more than I bargained for :) Also mfg recommends 500W or greater power supply.
on May 19, 2015
From the get-go let me just state that this MOBO is very Picky about what RAM you use, should you just stick any 'run of the mill' Ram chips you think might be compatible, you'll be in for a world of disappointment just like I was.
What worked for me:
Crucial 8GB kit (4GBx2) DDR3-1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) Non-ECC UDIMM

I know there's probably only a few reasons you're even looking at this board, and the main one is obviously that you need Socket Intel 775, or a 775Extreme compatible board. Because if that's not why you are here, then if you just want to build a new PC, there are MUCH better boards out there, that don't use the old inefficient 775 Socket type. That being said, you probably wanna breath new life into some old parts without spending some serious paper. Let me just say, as far as Socket 775 MOBOs are concerned, this is probably your best bet.

My Build:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
Gigabyte G41MT-S2PT LGA 775 G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard DDR3 1333
Crucial 8GB kit (4GBx2) DDR3-1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) Non-ECC UDIMM
MSI AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card
Samsung 850 EVO 120GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E120B/AM)
Win 8.1 64bit OEM
Noctua SSO2 Bearing, Retail Cooling NF-F12 iPPC 2000 IP67 PWM
Silverstone Technology All Black Sleeved 1-3 PWM Fan Splitter Cable (CPF02)
Anker® Uspeed PCI-E to USB 3.0 2 Port Express Card, with 1 USB 3.0
Generic LG DVDR/RW Sata3
Several SATA3/6 cables.
USB Linsys Wifi N
Generic USB Keyboard and Mouse

Pros:
Brings new tech to your Old 775 Socket
8gb DDR3* (see note above and in Cons)
Good Setup configuration
2x PCI slots for older expansion cards if your doing a rebuild
Compatible with old 775 Extreme processor types
Easy and User Friendly Bios
PCI Xp2.0 x16

Cons:
Doesnt bring enough new tech to your 775 =P
Sata 2 speed (LAME)
Only 2x slots DDR3, is super picky as you can see from other reviews in addition to mine
No USB 3.0(for older PC's, so its acceptable and only personal preference at this point)
Wishing it had another PCI Xpress x1 slot in place of the 2 PCI slots(on the bottom, not a major con, just preference.)
Not PCI Xp3.0(same as other cons, its for old 775 chipset, so cant fault them for this)

Let me start off by saying this MOBO has a nice configuration, and selection. Lots of Sata connectors that don't seem to get in the way. A PCI Express x1 ABOVE the PCI Express x16, which is mandatory if you have a larger video card like I have chosen. I personally noted this fact while looking at other Mobos. DDR3 is great to have for bringing a little more power to your games and apps, while using the old 775 tech.
I of course gathered all my parts through sales over a few weeks, some over a couple months, to fit into a budget, while using leftover parts.
I started off originally with 2xGSkill DDR3 1333 Ram chips that were suggested by another user, which would not even let the MOBO post unfortunately. Came back online, returned those modules and looked through the reviews from this Mobo for a review I recalled seeing on other RAM modules that were supposed to work. That's when I found a user with a review detailing the Crucial Ram chips. The timing for the chips was a little slower, but at this point I just wanted this picky Mobo to post. Using the ones specified above, I was able to post Immediately, access the BIOS and checked configuration and OC options. The Bios for this board is nice, with many options for the enthusiast, while still being easy to understand for the average user. Everything checks out, proceed to Win 8.1 install. Drivers CD that came with this MOBO was junk, wouldn't even run, dunno why, and I honestly didn't care because Win8.1 recognized and updated everything accordingly.
I also originally used a GeForce 8600GTS 256mb video card for the initial install, before switching to the R9 Hawk that is now in the machine.

--You do not need a dedicated Video Card for this board--

I have not done overclocking, and do not plan to with this board as its not necessary for my personal use. However I did note in my exploration of the Bios that this board makes it quite easy to find and fiddle with the Voltages and Timings should you choose to do so.
Let me also say that I have now been using this PC for 2 weeks and I am very happy with it.
Originally I looked at other 775 Socket Mobos like:
Intel DP35DPM Single Pack, Atx P35 Exp Chip Motherboard
and
ASRock G41C-GS LGA 775 G41 2DRR2 8G MATX Motherboard
Both of which are nice, but the Intel is EXPENSIVE compared to this Mobo, and the options weren't as good.
ASRock I heard OCs well, but the setup for the PCI Xpress x1 puts it under the x16 slot, which is a poor choice if you want to have a larger dedicated Video card. It would have worked had I chose to stay with my original GeForce8600gts, but then gaming wouldn't have been much fun.

What do I do with this setup?
Internet
Netflix
Youtube
Social Media
E-mail
Word Processing
Mild Gaming

What games?
Minecraft, Trove, Defiance, Scribblenauts, Warframe, etc - in addition to other steam games, all run at 60fps, most at High settings(Can thank the new vid card for that). I expect using PCI Xp3.0 and new Socket 1150 with better DDR3/DDR4 Ram would kill most games, but for what I have I think it does exceptionally well.

I have amazon prime so shipping is always fantastic, and packaging is normally great.
If you are trying to build a PC with this MOBO I would suggest using:
PCPartpicker.com
Where you can make sure your build is mostly compatible. Its not perfect, but it will keep you on the right path.
Thanks for reading, and have a great day. Good luck with your Build!
on January 14, 2013
I built my mother a great system with a Q6600 quad chip about 5 years ago for Christmas. It had finally died and after extensive testing I determined that the crap motherboard (ECS, don't ask :() was the problem.

For just over $100 I got this motherboard plus 8 GB of RAM and moved the other parts over from her original system. Windows 7 Pro installed quickly and she was back up and happy in a couple of days.

This motherboard uses DDR3, so get quality RAM if you are replacing a motherboard that used DD2. I recommend the G.Skill Ripjaws - they used to be big $ and now they are affordable! Finally, be sure to get a new heatsink/fan if you are upgrading with an old CPU.
on December 2, 2013
A wonderful mobo for my HTPC. It has the PCI-e 1x slot for my super awesome sound card, a PCI-e-16x port for my HD graphics card, once PCI slot is covered by the graphics card, the other PCI slot gets taken up by my wireless card. Perfect fit! I put 4GB of ram (Corsair 2x2GB ValueSelect ram) on it, an e8400 Wolfdale processor, and a Corsair Force F80A solid state hard drive on this bad boy and everything works perfectly. System goes from stone cold dead to fully functional and ready to go in under 9 seconds when starting Windows 7. Perfect board for what I needed!

And with the small size, your case options are extremely wide. Wanna put it in a small HTPC box you can tuck away in a shelf? Done. Wanna put it in a big case so that everyone notices? Done (that's what I did - I went for the Fractal Design R4 Define case, looks great but this board does look tiny in that big case lol)
on September 22, 2015
This is a good solid board with sophisticated attention to value features--check the plus features on the Gigabyte website. I've used it to salvage my 775 socket good performers and am presently running a Q8200 Quad. I wanted to use DDR3 memory so this did it for me. It is touchy on memory and if you follow the advice of many users and go Crucial it works fine. If you are memory savvy it has the BIOS tweaks that could solve the touchy memory problem. My ASUS mobo does a better job of finding memory timing sweet spots--but I don't hold that against this particular Gigabyte board. Amazon customers are a great source of workarounds for odd quirks in some products that are fine otherwise. Dual BIOS is a neat feature that guards against a bricked board that can happen with a bad flash. This board for a low price should meet or exceed the needs of a large number of moderate (not gamers) use folks. Don't let the negative comments deter you from considering this fine product. Right now I'm running Ubuntu 14+ without a glitch and it also ran Win 7 and 10 with no problems.
on August 6, 2015
Update -

Received and installed the replacement board, it did everything it was supposed to do, working just fine. In the heat of the night (about 3:00 am) while diligently working, it just shut down. I'm stubborn and there have been too many GOOD reviews so I'm looking for a replacement. Will review on the new one later..............

Previous -

I kind of think I got a 'returned by other' board...if that's possible, pins protruding up where the processor is to be installed, a missing clip on the memory lock-down....in any event, I did install it, the board powers up, does NOT post, shuts itself OFF, restarts, shuts itself OFF again, etc.
Who's to know.....but I've read a lot of good reviews so I'm seeking a replacement. I had a similar problem with a custom build in January using 2 ASUS boards (Z97-A ATX LGA1150).......but the 3rd replacement board worked well and did everything it was supposed to do. I have no problems with that one to date. We'll see and I'll review the replacement.....

Good that it was AMAZON, they're a good company to do business with!!!
on April 12, 2016
First board I received had power cycling issues and the replacement was plagued with memory, video card, and USB keyboard compatibility issues. BIOS beep codes indicated memory issues even though the sticks are on Gigabyte's QVL for the board, and they test just fine in newer systems. I've generally been a Gigabyte fan for the past decade, I just guess this particular board is a stumbling block on their part. Reading the rest of the reviews, it seems that when the board works, it's great. I just don't have the patience of going through the ship and return process until a good one is found, especially for what amounts to a side project of using up some older components that have been sitting around in the back of the closet.
on June 24, 2016
Is a great motherboard, though the motherboard is extremely picky when it comes to RAM, I got it working with some Crucial ramCrucial 8GB kit (4GBx2) DDR3-1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) Non-ECC UDIMM Desktop Memory Upgrade CT2KIT51264BA160B / CT2CP51264BA160B. The CPU I used was a Intel Xeon E5430 (Yes, a Xeon as I modded the board and CPU) Intel Xeon E5430 2.66GHz 1333MHz 12MB Socket 771 Quad-Core CPU with the 771 to 775 motherboard mod. GPU is the GTX 960 PNY XLR8 GeForce GTX 960 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card VCGGTX9602XPB. Would buy again to make another to make a gaming PC for my sister.
review image review image