Customer Reviews: NCIS: Season 9
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Cycling on Amazon

Format: DVD|Change

"NCIS" returns for a ninth season as network television's highest ranked drama, featuring its terrific blend of criminal case-of-the-week excitement and the equally entertaining interaction among the members of a well-chosen cast. Mark Harmon returns as crusty Senior Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs, still feuding with his boss, the Director of NCIS, and still closely managing his team, who he treats as a second family.

As the new season opens, Tony DiNozzo (Michael Weatherly), on special assignment for a new "Sec-Nav", searches for a supposed traitor within the ranks of NCIS. Tony barely survives the assignment, leaving behind an unsolved mystery and doubts about the relationship between the new Secretary of the Navy and Director Vance (Rocky Carroll). The mystery, and Tony's assailant, will eventually resurface, while the assignment will haunt Tony, causing him to reexamine his career and life (and yes, his relationship with Ziva). Gibbs will have his own appointment with destiny later in the season. An extended story arc in late season ends with a thrilling finale and team members in mortal danger.

As in previous seasons, the spotlight rotates among the agents from show to show, in some cases filling in missing backstory. Lilly Tomlin has an hilarious guest appearence as Agent McGee's (Sean Murray) grandmother, to whom the Sixties were very good. Goth chick forensics expert Abby Sciuto (Pauley Parrette) learns that what she thinks she knows about her family might not be true. Medical examiner "Ducky" Mallard (David McCallum) tries online dating, while Agent Ziva David (Cote de Pablo) is reconfirmed in the importance of her new family at NCIS. Jamie Lee Curtis has an extended guest stint as an expert in psycological warfare, who chooses to practice on Gibbs. In one hilarious episode, the agents collaborate with fiesty red-headed Coast Guard investigator Abigail Borin (an excellent Diane Neal) to find the perfect woman for Gibbs; the comedy arises partly from the fact that Borin is Gibbs' female doppelganger, and partly from the end result of the search.

"NCIS: Season Nine" is highly recommended to the many fans of the series.
55 comments| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2011
It's NCIS and not the LA version.
Writing a review for a show such as this is difficult because it has to be clear without spoiling the plots by giving too much detail.
Suffice it to say that if you have enjoyed NCIS in the past, this season as a whole will not dissapoint.

There's been little bad to say about the series in past years, but the first episodes of this season left a little to be desired in the terms of credibility. The overall impression was that the screenwriters were looking to find their feet and unsure exactly how to do that, but episode three the characters had begun again to settle back into the human dynamics and interpersonal cameraderie that has made this series an ongoing hit for so many years.

After the midpoint of the season the episodes really have a tendancy to go from strength to strength and pull the veiwer along just like in previous years as each builds upon the case before and allows full involvement with the unfolding storylines.

Enjoy it - I did, and still look forward to [hopefully] at least a couple more seasons.

Updating the review after a second viewing several months later; highlights in the set [without giving too much away] are two romances in the team, the re-entrance of an old favourite [or not depending upon preference], the death of a partner [twice], and a series finale that left a major question as it built anticipation for the new season, while opening the path in the last scene for a new team member. It would appear in the next season, one face will come and one face will go - to be determined.

The series started off for me at 3*, built through 5* for several episodes before dropping slightly as it drew to a close.

Second time around, overall, still well worth the price.
on September 11, 2012
We received the DVD set of Season Nine of NCIS. My wife and I don't watch this when it is broadcast, so we anxiously await the DVDs. We were not disappointed. Season Nine has some new special actors who add to the personal history of the main characters - in a very interesting way. And the close of the series is not only a cliff hanger, its a shocker. Lots of possibilities await in Season Ten. Bring it on!
on November 4, 2011
I've been a fan of this show since the first episode; & I have not been disappointed ever with the DVD collections that have followed from it. Production standards are high and bonus material is excellent. I never hesitate to preorder the next season's DVDs as soon as possible. I just realized I'm reviewing season 9 which hasn't even finished or shipped (I have preordered it!) yet. My comments stand for all 8 seasons so far; and I am confident that they will hold true for this one as well.
22 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2012
I have been a die hard NCIS fan from the beginning. I can't wait for the DVD's to come out. I watch them over and over and over. Season 9 is really good. The only negative thing I have to say about 9 years of NCIS is WHY DID THEY HAVE TO KILL OFF MIKE FRANKS?
Other than that- it's super. I am hoping the characters of Investigator Abby Boran-USCG will be brought back for Gibbs to start dating. I would also like to see the computer girl come back for McGee to start dating. They make great couples. This show is so good and always seems to have places to go. Because of the characters involved, they never run out of stories to tell. This is great! I'm looking forward to more years of NCIS. IT'S THE BEST111111111
55 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2016
My only problem with the Season 9 DVD set, is that, for the first time, the Special Features contain spoilers for episodes not yet reached on the DVD set. Disc 1 Special Feature spoils a major plot point in an episode on Disc 2, for instance. I usually like to finish everything on a Disc, at one time, but I would recommend, if you are watching Season 9 for the first time on DVD, as I was (not having ever watched the show on TV) watching the episodes in Season 9 first, if you are going to watch the Special Features, and then go back and watch those. Even though I am now a big fan of the show, through DVD, I am still watching these in order, so I have never seen any of the episodes before on TV and still have three seasons on DVD to catch up with the current season. In a matter of a couple of months, I have watched Seasons One Through Nine on DVD. Watching that way, you can readily see that the writing is still outstanding, the acting good as ever, the direction, top notch. Noticeable step-up in the prestige of the special guest actors this season, and the last few seasons, as well. A superior show like this is bound to attract top talent. Well worth the purchase!
VINE VOICEon April 20, 2016
When I sit down to watch NCIS whether on CBS Tuesday nights or on these season DVD sets, I modify what former 60 Minutes Producer Don Hewitt used to say “Tell me an [entertaining] story. NCIS has succeeded on this front for almost fourteen years now. When they set out to tell a story, the viewer has to really examine every detail and understand that the most likely suspect is not usually the end game for the episode. During a really good NCIS episode, it is the mundane action that is king.

Good storytelling mixed with characters that the viewers feel like they know, yet can still learn even more about is what has made this show an institution on Tuesday nights. There is never an episode where I as a viewer feel disengaged, if anything, I may get whiplash from trying to figure out “Okay where is the plot twist.” Because as any longtime NCIS viewer knows, nothing these characters due can be “normal” see Ducky’s online dating foray or Abby’s family secret for example.

NCIS keeps the curveballs coming.
on April 29, 2016
Everything you want in a DVD season:
Great show. DVDs has decent Features. Good packaging. And all my disks played with no skipping, pixelling or freezing.
This is Season 9, so at this point you should know if you like the show or not. Features are similar to other seasons: interviews with writers/producers, several episode with commentaries.
VINE VOICEon August 3, 2015
It's summer and NCIS is taking it's break. We are starved for episodes so we've purchased seasons 1 through 10 so we can use them to fill in over the summer.

We've been binge watching only NCIS one or two episodes per evening. We are stunned by the number of episodes we can't remember watching, or that we actually missed over the years. In many ways it is more fun watching the second time through than the first because we know the characters so well.

Great acting, directing, stories.
on April 23, 2015
Most if this season is great but the writers get hung up on a special villain and they DRAG him ON and ON and ON for at least 4 episodes this year. It's almost like the British Dr Who, where they keep dragging the same evil foes back over and over and over! One wonders if the writers lost their creativity???
Also they are back to their annoying season Cliff hangers, and this one is especially bad as they are trying to give the impression their special villain kills the ENTIRE cast off. I guess the writers felt they drag on story sucked so BAD they needed a cliff hanger to try and salvage their audience?