Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on January 11, 2012
My son in college played me a couple Florence tracks in the car. Based on those, I bought both her CDs (Lungs and this one) at the same time.

I read the low reviews regarding Ceremonials on this site before the purchase, and had my doubts. Being the 48 year old grumpy misanthropic guy that I am, rarely am I touched in any deep way by modern musical efforts. I prepared for some level of disappointment.

Sure, there are a couple tracks that, for whatever reason, don't speak to me as strongly. But my God - the many wonderful moments of brilliance on this CD are overwhelming.

Sometimes in life you come across a thing of such pure beauty, such unmitigated connective joy that it leaves you breathless. "Heartlines" is precisely this sort of item.

Florence and the Machine have given us all a precious gift.

The last time I felt this way was the first time I heard Mary Fahl sing.

Conclusion - get the bloody CD. Worth every penny.
11 people found this helpful
on June 16, 2015
i love music! Always have, always will and my taste in music is wide ranging from rock to hip hop to latin and every decade from like the 60s through current music. I was introduced to Florence + The Machine by my younger brother back when "Lungs" was released and I immediately fell in love. This is seriously like the perfect album to listen to on my "dark" days when I need a good brooding album. Seriously, this is one of the best second album releases; I cannot even describe the passion and power that Florence exudes. If you loved "Lungs," make sure you get this album!!!
on December 28, 2011
"Ceremonials" by Florence + the Machine is definitely one of the best albums of 2011. Florence Welch and that stunning, out-of-this-world voice of hers finally won me over when I heard "No Light, No Light" on the radio. It's hard to believe how that song makes me feel so many complexed emotions, and goes through so many different layers. Starts off real quiet and hits you right in the gut once the chorus kicks in...amazing! I knew I just had to buy "Ceremonials", and her debut album "Lungs" and I'm so glad I did! The deluxe edition is worth every penny! There is not one bad song on this album, every track is full of passion, longing, guilt, and there are even songs about death. "Leave My Body" is about wanting to die but the music and lyrics are so sexy and hypnotic, you don't know whether to cry or to smile? "Seven Devils" is a haunting song and I have to admit, parts of it scare me! That's what is so special about "Ceremonials" - Florence pulls you in, you believe every word she sings. The best track by far is the opener, "Only If For A Night". Musically, it's one of the most provocative songs I've heard all year! "Spectrum", "Heartlines", "Bedroom Hymns", and "Breaking Down" are standouts as well but like I said, every song is a gem! I highly recommend this album and white girl got some soul on "Lover to Lover". You have to hear it to believe it...enjoy!
on September 28, 2014
This group really has a unique sound. They have enough pop to keep the drones entertained but have the uniqueness to capture the interest of musicians. Florence's lyrics and singing always paint a picture that could be perceived different by everyone. This album is just as good as Lungs. Some tunes to note. Shake It Out is an uplifting song that is great to listen to if you have a lot on your mind. Musically and lyrically it is inspirational. Breaking Down is a deep rhythmic song that takes you on a cerebral journey. It is great if your mind needs to wonder into the ambiance of good music. Lastly No Light, No Light again could have multiple meanings. It is just a great tune.
on November 24, 2011
When describing the album Lungs I think of dark almost gothic undertones and pounding drum beats. That, or you have ethereal and vulnerable moments as you do in the song "Cosmic Love". Ceremonials is the yang to the yin offering light to whatever haunts you. The two albums are different when it comes to the mood they offer and I can understand why some people might be dissapointed by the lack of "shadows" in this album. Or the lack of a certain "feeling" that Lungs genertated. Ceremonials for the most part is uplifting, almost spiritual; in the song "Shake it out" Florence tells us that its hard to dance with the devil on your back, so shake him off. Some songs have an almost choir like quality with multiple voices for the chorus. What you can expect from Ceremonials is the continued quality of Florence's voice, dramatic instrumentals punctuated by percussion, and that certain magic thats so unique to this artist. I am incredibly partial to the album Lungs and I believe my fierce love for it makes me more biased towards anything new. However there are worth while songs in Ceremonials and you can bet the live performances will rock you off your feet. By now you might be wondering if Ceremonials is better than Lungs... I dont think that it is, however I dont think you should miss it either.
on November 7, 2011
Ceremonials is about pushing through a new vision with the power of a locomotive. New found lyrics that punctuate the songs like Muhammad Ali floating like a feather and stinging like a bee. New depth and imagery transcending the entire album with the energized perfection of a rapidly maturing and confident artist who is coming into her full measure of power. Unlike previous work, Ceremonials is layered with heavier visions that stand alone and sound out a clarion call to attain a full measure of understanding independent and thoughtfully measured and beautifully considered. Florence Welch is a haunting soul that's so inescapable in her wonder once you've become wrapped in her spells you never want to leave her, and she never does. There is less heartbreak and vulnerability in Ceremonials, it's more of a celebration of discovery of growing into new layers of skin and textures of the soul and consciousness while being authentic and true to oneself unafraid. Bold and relevant, natural and effort laden with intensity that penetrates the listener through every atom of our being, becoming part of us and walking along side us long after the last note of the last song has been heard.
on November 26, 2011
The sophomore offering by Florence Welch and mates are a testament of the band's maturity over just two years since Lungs. While Lungs was grand and cosmic, Ceremonials is darker, mature and definitely soaring. There are many references to religion, beautifully written and performed hauntingly by Florence. Once she sings, one's emotions fluctuate as she delivers each song wholeheartedly. I especially like Never Let Me Go, a song about dying and how it liberates. Shake It Out is an intense song about leaving your emotional baggages behind and movin' on. Then there's the opener Only If For A Night, Heartlines, Spectrum, All This and Heaven and What The Water Gave Me. Every song on the album speaks for itself. The bonus track, Remain Nameless, sounds almost like across between Bjork and Depeche Mode until Florence adds her stirring touch. A strong contender for the album of the year.
on January 28, 2012
I was so excited to learn that Florence + the machine was releasing another album! After thoroughly enjoying their first 2 releases (Lungs, and Lungs-the b-sides),I snatched this one up the day it was released on Amazon. And it did not disapoint. Compared to their first album, this one has more slow gorgeous "ballad" type songs, with a good mix of upbeat tracks as well. The harps and keyboards are more in the backround than they are on the first album, but you don't really notice because the focus is on Florence's voice.
I believe this stayed in the cd player in the car for a month (maybe two) straight when first obtained before I was ready to listen to something else.

Favorites on this album are:

Never let me go
No light, no light
Leave my body
Remain Nameless
Strangeness and Charm
Heartlines
on April 30, 2012
so, im fairly new to florence and the machine, and wanted to test the waters with them because i had heard alot about them, and was very curious, so i bought both their albums, and im sooo glad i did, because now im seriously hooked!!... i absolutley am in love with this particular album, and like it alot better than lungs... florence welch is a truly beautiful woman with deep, powerful, thought prevoking etheral lyrics that one can relate to... i love how dark this album is as well... my two most favorite tracks on this album are "heartlines" and "all this and heaven too".... they are both so powerful lyrically and have awesome beats... i have now found a favorite band, and hope they contiune to release much more awesome music in the not so distant future... i highly reomend this band to anyone...
on November 16, 2012
This album is very strong in every sense of the word. The songs are very big and booming. If I didn't know better I'd think this album was designed for concert performances at large arenas! Then again, Florence has such a powerful voice that she can pull this off. I find myself listening to this album quite frequently, even months after I bought it. Some parts of this album are more brooding than others (What the Water Gave Me, anyone?) but I find myself gravitating to these darker songs -- Florence's voice is just so well-suited to them.
I am hesitant to say it, but I think this album is better than Lungs. Different, definitely. Both are remarkable but I find myself listening to this one just a little bit more.