Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning heera heera avfly_channel_heera  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 45 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 46 reviews
on September 26, 2012
I adopted a year old Border Collie a few years ago from Border Collie Rescue of Norther California. He seemed like an odd looking Border Collie to me, but they felt certain about him. After living with him for a couple of years, he seems obviously Border Collie in both looks and behavior, with the exception that he is a couple inches taller than normal breed range and weighs more. He has the relatively more rare white with black coat, but the markings (half black face, large black patch on back) are completely consistent with that type.

The test came back indicating that he is a Border Collie. However, he fell on the very edge of the range on many of the specific analysis they do, which is entirely consistent with the fact that he is a very unusual looking BC. While the vast majority of the report spoke in support of the fully BC heritage, they did allow that the fact that he was on the edge in some tests could me either that he is from a more unusual line (which would be less represented in their database) or that something else was mixed in at some point.

I purchased this test solely with a sense of curiosity, knowing full well that it had it's limitations, and I approach it primarily for it's entertainment value. I was not at all dissatisfied in any respect - it was amusing, informative and while it didn't answer the question definitively, I was proud that it confirmed my intuitive sense of my dogs ancestry. Fun stuff.
og,
33 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2012
If you are questioning your dogs breed I would recommend doing this test. It really worked when I did it on my dog and I got my money back from the breeder.
on January 18, 2014
I have a samoyed who I was pretty sure was purebred, but thought it would be fun to try this kit for s***s and giggles. It was easy to use and very convenient to have the pre-stamped package to send the swabs back in. I really like the report I recieved which shows the gene clustering of my dog compared to a cluster of American samoyeds, British samoyeds, and other dogs. Sure thing, she is 100% samoyed and fell right in the middle of the American cluster. I imagine this kit is even more fun to use on mixed breed pups.

I would like it if the company explained which genes they were sampling. It would probably not be interesting/make much sense to the general public, but I have a biology background and worked in a genetics lab, so I would love to see the technobabble details on the website.
on July 19, 2013
For two years we thought we had a Dachshund Mix (he was adopted so we were not sure). I ordered the Purebred DNA Test Kit to put to rest all speculations. I ordered two so I could run a control on my daughter's Bull Mastiff. Well the results were surprising. Yes, the 120 pound puppy is a purebred mastiff. However our dachshund is really a poodle and cairn terrier. Our vet was as surprised as we were. This does explain the fact he can hop as high as the car window.
on November 29, 2012
Easy to use and quick turnaround response with detailed information....good buy. It cleared up the mystery of what kind of dog I had!
on October 11, 2015
I used this DNA kit to find out the breed or breeds of my 5 month old puppy. I knew she had ShihTzu in her makeup, but was surprised to see she also had Chihuahua and poodle. I plan on checking the DNA of my older dog.
on July 30, 2014
Good product to find out about your dog's genealogy and see what breed its parents and grandparents were. The first time I did the cheek swabs on my puppy I didn't get a good enough sample for the lab. They promptly sent me another kit at no charge to re-do the sample.
on July 25, 2013
It was so interesting to see that wayyyyyyy back in Kelley's bloodline, there was a Lab... She's 99% pure GSD so we consider her as such. She is a rescue and was the runt of a litter. She was very weak and not doing well at all when she was rescued. After I gave her all her meds and hand fed her, she was not going to anyone else but me. I love her dearly and she's beautiful. The test just gave me a history on my precious dog.
on October 22, 2012
I was very happy with the speed & communication. They e-mailed me when they rec'd the DNA sample & less than 3 weeks later I had the results of my rescue Rottweiler.
on August 26, 2013
I ordered two test; one for each of my dogs. The testing process was simple enough. The result process took longer than promised. I had to wait 3-4 weeks for my results. In the end it was worth it since I found out what my mixed dogs were. It was a suprise but now that I know the breeds I can see it in my dogs! Item comes with a cute chart and you can upload a pic for them to include in the center of the chart. The results are comprehensive. I think it is worth the money for a dog lover.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.