Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 112 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 135 reviews
on December 6, 2013
Pros: Extremely fast, doesn't run too hot, easily overclocked

Cons: A bit pricey

I went with the 3930K for a new computer in May 2012, and to this day (December 2013), it still runs just as well as day 1. Even though Ivy Bridge, Haswell, and Ivy Bridge E CPUs have since been released, I don't see a reason to upgrade. The six cores turbo-boosted to 3.8 GHz is more than enough for most people. I originally built this machine for gaming, but have since converted to a development workstation. Although targeted at gamers and enthusiasts, this chip would be overkill for gaming. Since I run a lot of multi-threaded applications, this CPU is perfect for me. This CPU is pretty expensive, but when there's virtually no competitors, there's not much that can be done about it.

I don't have a need to overclock, but I tried it out, and it was very easy. Playing with the unlocked multiplier yields really good results. Without trying much, I was able to get to 4.5 GHz with a heatsink/fan pretty easily. I imagine it can get close to 5 GHz when watercooled.

I paired this CPU with the Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard and cooled it with the Noctua NH-D14.
on February 6, 2017
I bought this for my gaming build a few years back. On the expensive side, but handles everything I throw at it. Still to this day (2/6/17) is still handling everything I throw at it with absolute ease. No stutter, no freezing, no problems, no complaints.
on May 6, 2012
I upgraded to this cpu from a Q6600 and let me tell you that the difference is amazing. Even when this chip is under load while rendering video in Sony Vegas my computer is very responsive. I am running it at stock clocks for the time being just to break it in. This cpu is strong enough to even play almost any of the most demanding emulated games around (LLE sound Tales of Symphonia and Zone of the Enders) at playable frame rates. If you are thinking about getting the 3960X DON'T! It only has a very small boost in performance for nearly twice the price, stick with this one.

An interesting factoid though, this and the 60X were originally 8 core cpus. Intel disabled two cores for some reason, probably because AMD is not pressuring them in the slightest to compete. I do not know if it is possible but Intel may enable these at a future date (hoping they do anyway).

This chip can handle nearly anything you throw at it and at reasonable temperatures. Under full load it maxes out at 58C using the Corsair H100 and idles at 26C to 30C. It has some massive over clocking potential, the highest stable clock I have read about was 4.75Ghz; some have made it to 5Ghz but not stably.
on July 20, 2012
This is my first EXPENSIVE CPU I have purchased yet. However, if you can afford to purchase it I highly recommend it...if your into heavy gaming, encoding/decoding video, etc. I wouldn't recommend this processor if all your going to use it is for your everyday normal PC usage. In that case I recommend the LGA 1155 IVY Bridge processors for your build, Intel Core i7 LGA1155 3.5GHz prefferably. I am somewhat an enthusiast so not really big of a gamer so this CPU is plenty if not more than enough power for what I need it for.

Great processor, 6 cores with 12 threads which makes it twice as fast making the Core i7-3770K look like a Pentium dual-core. Not bashing on the 3770K, its pretty good once overclocked. Only bad thing about this processor (3930K)is, it does not come with a heatsink/fan. Therefore before you buy make sure you have a good cooling system for it especially if your are planning to overclock. Pretty good on the L1 and L2 cache which are extremely important because they determine the amount of data transferred between the processor and your Graphics card, Memory, ETC.

My build:
CPU-Intel Core i7-3930K running stock (I have overclocked it to 4.8GHz no problem running @ around 34 to 40 Celcius idle)
Motherboard-ASUS SABERTOOTH X79
Video Card- EVGA GeForce GTX460 SE (FERMI) in SLI mode
PSU- CORSAIR 850W Gold certified
Optical Drive- LITEON BLU-RAY Burner and DVD Drive
Boot drive- Munchkin CHRONOS 120GB SSD
Tower- Cooler Master HAF 922-XM MID-Tower(pretty awesome tower)
Cooling- CORSAIR H80 Liquid Cooling (pretty good for overclocking)
OS- Windows 7 Professional
OVERALL WINDOWS INDEX 7.8
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 23, 2012
Nice and fast and stable. Got PCIe 3 to work with my EVGA GeForce GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB and Nvidia drivers with their patch fix. Using with ASUS P9X79 WS motherboard and 32GB Corsair Dominator quad channel RAM. Everything runs smoothly and is easy to overclock, not that I really need to with this CPU anyway. Still, speeds up encoding and rendering a bit, if needed. Works great for gaming, but might be a bit excessive, having less than fully used capabilities, if that's your main use of your computer.

Highly recommended.

...

Update: February 12, 2013

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I'm easily and safely overclocking this chip up to 4.6GHz fully loaded under my somewhat higher-end air cooler with a VCore of 1.35 volts.

Nice and stable crunching power. This chip seems to handle anything and everything. It's even dynamically fully loaded nearly 24/7 crunching for scientific research seamlessly in the background while I go about my other normal computer use, which probably includes most of what you might think of, and maybe then some.
on June 18, 2013
You can get the 3820 if you want the cheapest entry to LGA2011, but I don't see any reason going above the 3930k for such a minimal performance gain that isn't worth paying twice the price of this chip. Just my cue.

This chip is insane, no questions asked. Although, I have to admit that I went over the processing need. But I did get it for a great deal so I pushed through it and I can seal my PC for the next few years without any processing upgrade necessary. Overclocks so easily with the Rampage IV Extreme. And can virtually handle anything you can think of, it's a CPU, we don't need to get technical do we?

Using with:
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Ripjaws Z Series 2133mhz 16gb
EVGA GTX 680 Classified
RevoDrive 3
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1000w (to be replaced soon)
Corsair 800D
...and so on
on May 11, 2013
This was my first build and I worried and worried about making it work the first time - so I looked for the highest rated products with many ratings to try to ensure best performance and best chances of things not being DOA. I have been delighted with this processor and all functionality that I've tried so far has worked perfectly with Linux!

This computer is primarily used for processor intensive simulations and runs incredibly cool, even with all cores (and threads) maxed out. At idle, the processor is 36C and at full load with max turbo boost it is only 55C.

My setup:
Intel Core i7-3930K 6 core processor
ASUS Sabertooth X79 Motherboard
4X4GB Gskill 14900 RAM
Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 cooler
Saffire Flex Radeon HD 6450 (1GB)
WD Blue 1TB hard drive
Cooler Master HAF 922 computer case
on March 25, 2013
Although this is the first computer I've built, this combo just seemed to fit my needs. I'm processing large photo files and 1 hour videos and don't want to sit and wait any longer than necessary. Dual core was unbearable slow and CPU's above 6 cores were
more expensive than what I wanted to spend. With the DX79SR mobo I can upgrade later when prices come down. I haven't timed
the boot time yet, but it seems to only be about 30 seconds or less and that's a great improvement. As soon as my copy of Vegas Pro Edit gets here and I update Photoshop I'll be ready to go. Being a novice builder I was surprised how easy the software installation and updating was. Everything works great.
on April 12, 2013
This processor is achieving speeds close to CPU's that are considerably more expensive. I put this processor in a ASRock X79 Extreme6 Motherboard that supports the Turbo Boost Technology and it runs up to 3.8 GHz just as advertised. I had my last CPU overclocked, but with this processor's 6 cores running up to 3.8 Ghz when needed, I'm not even going to bother with overclocking this one. Most programs only use a small percentage of the CPU but when I'm editing HD video the advantages of this processor kick in. I'm getting 75 to 80 percent CPU usage with speeds close to 3.8 GHZ and it powers through the video creation considerably faster than my old system. Quite pleased so far.
on February 5, 2013
This is an incredible CPU. Out of the box it OC'd to 4.7ghz without any effort or BSOD. I was amazed, and continue to be so. This processor doesn't' break a sweat on anything i can throw at it. (this could be rumor, but I've heard you can unlock the other 2 cores to get 8 cores total, with the right firmware that is)