Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 469 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 528 reviews
on March 20, 2013
James Herriot's books have been favorites of mine for many years, so I was pleased to find them available in Kindle editions. However, it seems no one proof-read these editions after they were converted as I have found many incorrect words, punctuation marks where articles should be, and other indications of imperfect OCR conversion. These errors are not few; there are multiples present in every chapter of every book in this series! While in most cases it was easy to figure out the correct word (especially since I have read the print editions many times), these mistakes detract from the reading experience. I wouldn't mind as much if I wasn't paying full price, but when I'm charged as much as or more than the print edition, I have a problem with this!

Readers, if this is your first experience with James Herriot's writings, do yourself a favor and buy the real thing. You'll get the full stories as they were meant to be read, with no guesswork.
55 comments| 169 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2011
James Herriot's stories of life as a Yorkshire vet need no introduction -- they must be among the most beloved books of all time. Now at long last they're available in e-book form. I got mine this afternoon and I'm happy to say that they are fully formatted with chapter stops and the text is clean and proofread. There's also a nice introductory essay by the author's son, and a bio at the end. The table of contents includes links to the introduction, the front cover of each of the three books, and the bio; to get to chapters within an individual book, you have to select that book from the table of contents, then click forward a few pages to get to that book's own table of contents, which is a little less convenient than being able to reach all the chapter stops from the main table of contents.

Getting the first three books bundled together at a reasonable price is a perfect early holiday gift to us all!
11 comment| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2014
I have had a few issues with Kindle books having typos, but these three editions are riddled with them, oftentimes to the point where I couldn't even guess the word. Though I have read and reread James Herriot for years and can't find a single fault with his original books (his stories should get 5+ stars), I am very unhappy with the quality of this Kindle set. I expect better quality (and proofreading!) from Amazon, especially at this price point.
on April 17, 2016
I love these books and have read them all several times so I was excited to finally see them as ebooks. But where are the rest of the stories? I didn't want the "Cliff Notes" version and what is there isn't very well edited. I give these stories 5 stars, the ebook gets 3, very disappointed.
on November 28, 2016
I always loved the Herriot books as a child and was pleased to find this bargain bundle. His stories aren't poetry but they capture the joys and struggles of humanity better than any other author I know. More than once reading them I found myself tearing up or laughing hysterically despite having read them all before. There are 8 or 10 typos but they do little to dull Herriot's genius. Most books I wouldn't care about typos but there were more than a couple and Herriot deserves better.
on February 13, 2017
I don't know if it helps to have seen the 1970s television series based on these books, but my visualizing of James, Helen, Siegfried and Tristan was definitely drawing from the actors who did such a splendid job bringing the characters to life.

The stories are by turns enchanting and uplifting with the odd, rare dip into tragedy. The style of the last book is a little contrived as Herriot is remembering his RAF life in episodes of him remembering his prior life in Darrowby. Awkward, a bit.

But the contents are delightful and the price is definitely right.

There are a few typos, surprisingly few, and the text flow is not buggered up by the limitations of the markup - which collapses vertical whitespace and ruins any of the author's careful breaks in narrative continuity by presenting the text as a solid splodge. Either the editors took the proper care when assembling this volume or the editing style eschewed the device in favour of traditional chapter markup. Whatever. The book is very readable in the kindle version.

Recommended. A good beach read or train read or rainy day read.
on January 17, 2012
Herriot's books are a wonderful, humorous and heartwarming collection of tales of life as a Yorkshire vet in the 1940's' and are every bit deserving of the five star rating, more if it were possible. However, the editing on the Kindle version is aweful. Spellcheck catches misspelled 'non-words' but won't spot misspelled 'words'. For example, rough instead of tough, or than instead of that, where the word is still a word but the wrong word for the sentence. There are many of these mistakes in the book, along with missing punctuation scattered throughout. I don't think I've ever read a book with this many editing mistakes.
on April 8, 2017
I read all of James Herriot's books many years ago and decided to read them again. I am so glad I did! I read 5 of them in 4 days and enjoyed every minute of them. I was sad when I finished the last one, they are that good. If you love animals, these are the best! Some stories make you laugh out loud, some make you want to cry, but whatever the story, the writing is excellent! What a great story teller! I would recommend all of his books to very animal lover out there!
on April 20, 2017
These are absolutely wonderful stories: very touching, humorous, or both. Both the animals and the people are quite memorable. Now it is no mystery to me why these books are such classics. My only quibble is that the books could have used some more careful editing, especially when it came to punctuation. (I'm an editor, so I assume that I'm pickier about such things than most readers are.) However, assuming you can look past that flaw, you will be rewarded with some stories that you will probably remember forever.
on January 20, 2017
I first read the books of James Herriot when still a young girl, early teens. At that time I recall roaring with laughter at many of the scenes he beautifully described and the characters that people his stories. Now, I am old enough to really appreciate how beautifully descriptive this author is in creating scenes that come to life as one reads. He so beautifully describes the scenery of Yorkshire and I could often feel myself transported to this magical land. The characters of Sigfried and Tristan Farnan, and many of the farmers whom he comes to know are so well outlined as to feel that one has met them. As an animal lover, and having worked as a Veterinary technician, I really appreciated all the details shared about the caring of these creatures, large and small. If you want to read stories that are simple yet complex in the details of the surrounding countryside and of the people and animals that populate them, look no further than this compilation of three of James Herriot's best known and best loved stories.