Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Bright and Beautiful, and All Things Wise and Wonderful: Three James Herriot Classics
Your Garage Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums iPhone 7 Tile Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Wedding Store Tailgate-Garden Amazon Football TV Wall Mounting CrisisinSixScenes CrisisinSixScenes CrisisinSixScenes  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Emmys GNO Shop Now STEM

on November 15, 2011
James Herriot's stories of life as a Yorkshire vet need no introduction -- they must be among the most beloved books of all time. Now at long last they're available in e-book form. I got mine this afternoon and I'm happy to say that they are fully formatted with chapter stops and the text is clean and proofread. There's also a nice introductory essay by the author's son, and a bio at the end. The table of contents includes links to the introduction, the front cover of each of the three books, and the bio; to get to chapters within an individual book, you have to select that book from the table of contents, then click forward a few pages to get to that book's own table of contents, which is a little less convenient than being able to reach all the chapter stops from the main table of contents.

Getting the first three books bundled together at a reasonable price is a perfect early holiday gift to us all!
33 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2013
James Herriot's books have been favorites of mine for many years, so I was pleased to find them available in Kindle editions. However, it seems no one proof-read these editions after they were converted as I have found many incorrect words, punctuation marks where articles should be, and other indications of imperfect OCR conversion. These errors are not few; there are multiples present in every chapter of every book in this series! While in most cases it was easy to figure out the correct word (especially since I have read the print editions many times), these mistakes detract from the reading experience. I wouldn't mind as much if I wasn't paying full price, but when I'm charged as much as or more than the print edition, I have a problem with this!

Readers, if this is your first experience with James Herriot's writings, do yourself a favor and buy the real thing. You'll get the full stories as they were meant to be read, with no guesswork.
22 comments| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2012
I read all of James Herriots books and loved them all. I laughed and cried and read them all again. I would have bought them for my Kindle library but I was disappointed these were condensed. I won't buy them this way.
66 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2012
I love the Herriot stories and was happy to see them as ebooks, but they were not as good as the originals. Too much cutting and editing has been done.
on February 1, 2014
I have had a few issues with Kindle books having typos, but these three editions are riddled with them, oftentimes to the point where I couldn't even guess the word. Though I have read and reread James Herriot for years and can't find a single fault with his original books (his stories should get 5+ stars), I am very unhappy with the quality of this Kindle set. I expect better quality (and proofreading!) from Amazon, especially at this price point.
VINE VOICEon December 22, 2011
Did you read these when they first came out? I did, and in some small corner of my mind, was sorry I'd discarded them. Kindle makes it easy to tote this trio around, so I've spent a week or so reliving Herriot's adventures as a country vet. It's been great fun to come across bits that stayed with me all these years and to discover stories I didn't remember. Herriot's style is warm and pleasant and his characters - clients, colleagues and animals alike - are vivid. I'll be sorry to finish the trilagy.
on January 12, 2014
I have dearly loved the James Herriot books since I was a kid. So, the problems with this review are not with the story, which is as memorable and heart lifting a story as you would ever want to read. However, the typos in this omnibus edition are numerous and distracting. Sometimes they even change the meaning of the sentence. If you have loved the James Herriot books for years, you will be able to make out the meaning, but if this is your first time, and if it is I envy you the journey, find a different edition, it's worth it to pay a little more to get the story without the typos.
on April 9, 2013
The series of books written by James Herriot are some of the most entertaining books I have ever read and the best of all the books written by this author (I think I have read them all). True accounts of the life of a country veterinarian in northern England may not sound very exciting, but everyone I know who has read these books were enchanted and entertained by the content. Be prepared to laugh out loud at many points in the books. BBC even made a series based on these books.

I highly recommend these books to anyone. My first introduction to this series was in hardback and paperback in the 1980s. I recently purchased these much loved books for my Kindle. Rarely do I read books more than once, but this is my third time to read them and no doubt it will not be my last.
on January 8, 2013
I've always loved these books, especially as a young teen. Something about the way he made Yorkshire seem so homey and exotic at the same time gave me a burning desire to go live there. You don't have to be an animal lover but it helps. I recommend for young adults and slightly more advanced younger readers. As an adult, these stories have not lost their charm, but I find I know them so well, I hardly need to read the page to know what's going to happen. I was also a bit more skeptical reading some of the more absurd stories and wondering how some of his neighbors felt at being portrayed so negatively, but then I read the author's autobiography and realized "Herriot" is a fictional character based in reality. (I originally read these before there was an Internet to check biographies!) So, if some of the stories seem a bit too coincidental to have happened, take it with a grain of salt and remember, this is creative non-fiction, which gives the author a pass to embellish or combine separate events as he pleases. All in all, a great read, worth a second chance if it's been a while.
I have one issue with the e-books and that is the many, many typos and flat out incorrect words throughout. I started making notes and gave up after the first three chapters. I am unsure how older books are transcribed into e-texts, but this one could use a thorough going-over by someone who is familiar with the originals.
on October 11, 2014
This is the collection of James Herriot's (James Alfred "Alf" Wight, OBE, FRCVS) books which provide the premise and stories of the TV series of the same name. There is no way you can read these books without falling in love with Herriott and Yorkshire. Herriot did for Yorkshire what The Beatles did for Liverpool! If you like animals, people watching and great storytelling, this book is for you! Read first, then watch the series. Neither will disappoint!