Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 20, 2013
James Herriot's books have been favorites of mine for many years, so I was pleased to find them available in Kindle editions. However, it seems no one proof-read these editions after they were converted as I have found many incorrect words, punctuation marks where articles should be, and other indications of imperfect OCR conversion. These errors are not few; there are multiples present in every chapter of every book in this series! While in most cases it was easy to figure out the correct word (especially since I have read the print editions many times), these mistakes detract from the reading experience. I wouldn't mind as much if I wasn't paying full price, but when I'm charged as much as or more than the print edition, I have a problem with this!

Readers, if this is your first experience with James Herriot's writings, do yourself a favor and buy the real thing. You'll get the full stories as they were meant to be read, with no guesswork.
216 helpful votes
217 helpful votes
55 comments|Report abuse
on April 8, 2017
I read all of James Herriot's books many years ago and decided to read them again. I am so glad I did! I read 5 of them in 4 days and enjoyed every minute of them. I was sad when I finished the last one, they are that good. If you love animals, these are the best! Some stories make you laugh out loud, some make you want to cry, but whatever the story, the writing is excellent! What a great story teller! I would recommend all of his books to very animal lover out there!
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on August 2, 2017
I read all three of these books when they first were published- almost 50 years ago. Touching, fascinating, and absolutely hilarious at times-laugh out loud with stomach hurting and tears running down my face! I remembered some of the scenarios, but most of this was like reading new books, and they were as wonderful as I remembered. I had been recently thinking about them, when I got an e-mail from Amazon inviting me to look into these books, since I am an animal lover. My husband and I recently became parents of a huge, goofy GoldenDoodle after almost 30 years without any pets. I read much of the books with my 80 pound puppy in my lap-made the reading so much more meaningful. Highly recommend this series of extraordinary stories by an extraordinary man.
on August 28, 2016
This volume contains 3 out of a 4-book series with titles taken from a poem. There are not many books that I have kept to read over and over during a long life, but Herriot's are among them. They are full of humor, with occasional pathos. You may find the Yorkshire dialect of the farmers a bit difficult to understand in the beginning, but you can generally guess what people mean; and if you keep reading, you will become familiar with it and love it. The books wouldn't be so great if all the dialog had been put into standard English.

I bought this book in the Kindle edition to replace some books in the series that I had lost, but I haven't read it on my tablet yet, so I cannot speak for the quality of the reproduction.
on October 6, 2016
I have read everything by Alf Wight aka James Herriott and have loved every single page. He was a gifted writer who could have you in giggles just as fast as in tears. Mrs. Pumphrey and Tricky Woo had me in hysterics because she is me and I am her. I cried loudly and long every time a dog died and, in the end, had a great deal of admiration for the veterinarian in general.
I had the great pleasure and honor to meet Mr. Wight in the 80's. He could no longer sign every book but he shook every hand and was the man he portrayed in his books.
Being able to buy these three books in e-book form was a wonderful gift, now I will have them wherever I go and enjoy them whenever I want.
on May 25, 2017
I'm a 74 year old lady, that could not read these books fast enough. My husband and I raise cattle, and care for them ourselves. Next time we are birthing a beech calf, I will use James Herriot's methods. I've heard of these books for years and I'm so glad I finally got around to reading them. They were a delight, as I would share them with my husband. I will recommend them to readers of all ages. Delightful.
on May 3, 2017
I read these books years ago as a teenager and was delighted to have the opportunity to read them again 50 years latter. They are still delightful reading them again all these years later. The stories are ageless and I found myself chuckling out loud as I read them again. James Herriot is a must read for any animal lover. I hope you enjoy these stories as much as I do.
on May 21, 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this veterinarian's reminiscences on practicing his art in the 1930's and 40's in Yorkshire, England. I loved his descriptions of some of the characters he interacts with, both human and animal, as well as the landscape around him. The only reservation I have is with the graphic descriptions of diseases and procedures used during this time period. This book is not for the faint of heart! The harsh conditions under which Herriot had to work and his willingness to serve his community filled my heart with admiration. Looking forward to viewing the BBC series based on his books!
on June 7, 2016
Very interesting memoir, full of rich descriptions of farming life in the Yorkshire Dales. Pleasant reading, if a bit repetitive-- each chapter is an anecdote of a humorous or touching farm call or vet visit. Makes me want to see again the BBC series based on these books. One minor annoyance: The books could use better proofreading, as the punctuation is distractingly random in places.
3 helpful votes
on April 2, 2017
If you like true human interest stories this is a must-read. Also great insight into the life of veterinarians in the '30's in Englan/Scotland. Easy reading about people of every class. Some stories are funny, some sad, but all true and easy to relate to.