Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 23 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 26 reviews
on March 19, 2012
I'm a handyman that does a wide variety of work, and when I buy new tools I do a lot of research to make sure I'm getting the best tool for my money. I was already bias to Bostitch before I even started researching finish nailers because of the other Bostitch nail guns I own, but because it seemed like they used a different nail than every other gun out there I decided to educate myself on the nails before deciding on the gun.

DA style finish nails have a 35 degree angle and a round head, and seem to be made by more manufacturers. Home Depot stocks Porter Cable, Lowe's stocks Hitachi and another brand name, and Menards stocks mainly Grip Rite. FN style are at 25 degrees and have a clipped head, and are made by Bostitch (Lowe's and Home Depot only offer this brand), Senco and Grip Rite. While Porter Cable DA nails are more expensive than Bostitch FN nails, Grip Rite DA nails are cheaper than Grip Rite FN nails by a couple dollars per 1000. Additionally, even though clipped head nails are easier to pull through the back of trim work if you need to remove it, I just prefer the look of a round nail hole over a flat one. Now if you're looking for nail length, I have found FN nails as short as 1" but DA starts at 1 1/4". Both styles go up to 2 1/2". Home Depot and Lowe's only seemed to have FN nails in 2" and 2 1/2", but Menards has a very good selection.

This is the first Bostitch nailer that uses DA nails, and it's supposed to be exactly the same as the Bostitch N62FNK-2 15-Gauge 1-Inch to 2-1/2-Inch Angled Finish Nailer that uses FN (not the one currently shown in pictures, but the newest version released in 2011 that comes with a swivel air fitting and belt hook). Porter Cable, Ridgid and Master Force (Menard's brand) only use DA, Senco seems to have switched from DA to FN, and even though Hitachi makes DA style nails I've seen a new model Hitachi nailer that uses FN nails.

The older Bostitch finish nailers, ones that don't come with the belt hook or installed air fitting, seemed to have a common problem with the drive rod breaking. The newer versions haven't been out long enough for any reviews that I can find, and I'm not going to comment on durability until I've fired a couple thousand nails through it. So I'm putting faith in the Bostitch name and in American workmanship (Bostitch is Made In US while Hitachi, the only other gun I gave serious consideration to, is Made In Taiwan). The belt hook is a nice addition over the older version, as is including a swivel air fitting which I would have gone out and bought anyway. It also comes with profile tips that match the contours of most trim work, but I'm more likely to adjust the depth setting or use a nail set than change the tip for every style moulding. Overall this gun has all the features to make it the best on the market, so all that remains is seeing if it's durable.
on January 15, 2013
I am on my 2nd DA1564K in 2 weeks. This gun is light, works great, tons of great features. Unfortunately, my 1st nailer was leaking air out of the blowoff. So I exchanged it with Amazon, 2nd nailer arrives, ALSO leaking air out of the blow off. It is a neat little feature (if it worked) If this gun skipped a few of the bells and whistles, it would be excellent. The 16" gauge is very handy, the light is also handy. I can't believe from a company like Bostitch, I would receive 2 defective guns in a row!
on November 30, 2016
Nice nail gun. Just what i needed to complete the job at hand. The nails have a good head on them and I know the wood isn't going to come free. The gun counter sinks the nails perfect. I had try using a friends 18 gauge nailer. I didn't feel comfortable with the nail size and head. So i continued to nail and counter sink by hand. This gun leaves a very small counter sink hole which is hardly noticeable from a short distance. I haven't had any jamming issues. I am a satisfied customer and recommend a 15 gauge nailer for a first nail gun purchased. A lot of reviewers recommend an 18 or 16 gauge but you better invest in some glue when using these in my opinion.
on December 7, 2014
So far my Bostitch "DA" finish nailer has only seen light use but everything is working great and as advertised. Based on some of the previous reviews about the air blower leaking, the first thing I did was to check that. No leaks! I did a little research and found there was a problem with the o-ring getting pinched. So hopefully, and it sounds like, this problem has been resolved. The nailer feels light weight too. Couldn't really ask for much else. I originally purchased the FN style but the only FN nails I could find locally were bostitch brand 2". At least where I live, its nice to be able to find just about any size DA style that I could need. The few brands of nails from other companies I have fired through this gun have all fired with out fail.
on December 14, 2016
This is a decent nail gun. However my main gripes are as follows.

1. The bumpers break very easily. The plastic is too hard
2. The light failed the first time I used it. The light was one of the main reasons I bought this over the Hitachi.
3. Blower is sensitive and will leak air for up to a minute after use.

Pros are this thing is well balanced and hits hard. Itll sink 2" nails into hard maple no problem
on August 27, 2014
My new nailer had an air leak after using the sawdust blower. Removed the button valve and found the "o" ring blown into the exhaust port and was cut by the sharp edges. deburred the edges and installed and new 005 Viton o -ring which is a harder type material "o" ring. Also, replaced the yellow LED bulb with a white LED light bulb, now every things clearer. After getting the kinks out , this is the best nailer ever.
on December 3, 2013
If you get one of these, repeatedly exercise the blow off feature several times right away and during the first week to see if the O-ring was damaged on the assembly line!

From what I read, the blow off O-rings were getting damaged in the making of these nail guns, it was discovered and the process fixed but many were made before they became aware. Apparently Bostitch didn't bring back all the likely defective ones to fix them. I ordered from Amazon in July 2013 thinking I would get one made after the fix. But no.
At the repair center, he showed me the stamp on the gun that showed it was made in 2012. Had I used the gun in the first 30 days, I could have sent it back to Amazon for another, I think for free. But the project was delayed. Now it's been at the warranty repair center for 2 weeks and counting.
I think it will be a great gun, when I get to use it. A definite strike against Bostitch quality control and another against whoever decided not to recall those that went out with this problem. I suspect you will know within 5 minutes of occasionally pushing the blow off feature button if you have this problem or not.
on December 10, 2012
It is a great gun and the features are great, but the first use proved that too many features means more problems. The button to blow air worked but the gun now leaks air through the valve. I have to take it an hour away to get it fixed( 2 hours total) so if you don't mind having to spend a few hours to fix one of the many features then get it. It's a great gun. But if your time is valuable then the features will probably cause you problems
on April 5, 2013
I bought this gun despite all the reviews and I bought the "Used- Like New" one from Amazon. I must have gotten one that someone returned because the blow off feature was leaking. At any rate it's an easy fix with a new o-ring but certainly not what I've come to expect from Bostitch.

It's a good feature but if it doesn't work then it's not all that great after all.

It does drive nails very well though and as little as I plan to use it I'm sure it will be fine. If you plan to use a gun for construction or cabinet making use I'd go with another model. This one is a bit hard to load.
on June 12, 2017