Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 869 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,441 reviews
on November 15, 2016
I started reading the Bosch series after watching the shows on Amazon and loving them. So I started reading the Bosch series and along the way, one of the Kindle versions had a bonus book that has Mickey Haller and Bosch together. At first I thought, there's no way that Connelly can make me interested in a lawyer. I'm not a fan of any of the law shows, never have, likely never will. But something about it *no spoilers* made me like it. Let's just say Bosch and Haller are tied together.

I gave the Lincoln Lawyer a shot and now I've got yet another series of books that I'll be binge reading. Thank Connelly. Now you are going to be getting even more of my cash. We weren't even married for crying out loud.
on January 9, 2017
Compulsive reading.

I have started reading the whole series again, having just finished "The Wrong Side of Goodbye" (5stars on its own) and will probably re-start again!
Michael Connelly has found a winning format with Mickey Haller and Harry Bosch, the interaction between the two makrs for good reading. The only book in the series I did not enjoy as much as the others was "The Brass Verdict" - a question of law a bit alien to a foreigner like me but each book's court scenes always grip the reader. Keep going MC, we love your books be they HB on his own or in company of MH. Instant best-sellers and they are selling well, in French, on the Cote d'Azur where I live.
on May 12, 2016
Chicken and the Egg. I saw Bosch on AMAZON TV - interesting stuff. I remembered TV series CASTLE had real writers on the Richard Castle mystery writers poker games - Michael Connelly was one of them, but I'd not read any of this books. I remembered the Lincoln Lawyer movie was based on Connelly's book - saw the movie then read the book. The screenplay takes 99% of the dialog in the book - very true to the author's work. There are places the book is better, other places the movie is more satisfying. Taken together you get a deeper look into the world that Connelly portrays - the seamy underbelly of LA. I don't know LA to say this is a true representation. It is very visceral. I hope it isn't accurate.
on November 2, 2016
Michael Connelly is one of my favorite authors. I've read all his "Harry Bosch" books so while waiting for his new one to come out I decided to read The Lincoln Lawyer, which was his first in his "Mickey Haller" series. I must admit that I really enjoyed reading it too, as Connelly's writing style is much the same, and very enjoyable, as with his Harry Bosch books. While I wait for Connelly's new Harry Bosch book to come out I'll be happy reading more of Connelly's books in the Mickey Haller series.
on July 20, 2017
Loved it. was so caught up by the second half I read the balance of the book in half a day. Could not put it down. Saw the movie and it was very close to the book. I have become a Bosch and Haller fan I am in the middle of the series especially when they are together in one story.
on January 24, 2017
My husband and I enjoyed this book and the entire Lincoln Lawyer series, we love that at times, Harry Bosch makes appearances in Mickey's stories. Was surprised to find out that Harry and Mickey are half brothers, hence the appearances. It was good to find out some of the details of Harry's past along with Mickey's. What can I say, Michael wrote it so we enjoyed it. Will continue to read his books as long as he continues to write. Thanks again Michael.
on February 22, 2014
I read THE LINCOLN LAWYER and THE POET simultaneously: THE LINCOLN LAWYER in the morning, THE POET later in the day. Before adopting that procedure, I had read about a hundred pages of THE LINCOLN LAWYER, and I quit. I had told myself, "Wait a minute! This guy [criminal defense attorney Michael Haller] is immoral. He helps the bad guys."

But I was impressed with Michael Connelly's style. It was streamlined, contemporary, and easy to read while still addressing mature audiences. He displayed general knowledge and his details about Los Angeles and its court system were accurate. I knew because that's where I live, and I have served as a juror. Also, Connelly seemed wise, but his points of wisdom were tactically inserted to avoid sounding moralistic. After quitting THE LINCOLN LAWYER, therefore, I tried THE POET.

The morals of its newspaper journalist, Jack McEvoy, did not seem sterling, but he was acceptable as a hero. Top heavy with twists, turns, and surprises, the story is nevertheless a good read. So if Stephen King's praising introduction encourages you to read it, consider yourself lucky.

While reading THE POET, I kept thinking, "Michael Connelly is a good writer." I reconsidered my decision to quit THE LINCOLN LAWYER. I rationalized: "Well, hell. Defense lawyers are socially accepted. Who am I to preach to Michael Haller? Who am I to tell him that he should walk away from a job that puts more than a good helping of food on his table?" Then, without abandoning THE POET, I continued my reading of THE LINCOLN LAWYER. Fortunately.

THE LINCOLN LAWYER and THE POET are about as good as any two novels I have read. Yet if you read only mysteries and suspense, you may consider them unexceptional. But that would not be because they are poorly written. You are satiated. You need to experience variety's spice. With that in mind, if you are not satiated with the genre and if you are looking for a good read, either of these books will do.

Notes: THE POET stands well as a solitary book, but it leaves a dangling thread. Though THE LINCOLN LAWYER is the first in a series, it stands alone better than THE POET. Its brightly colored movie is attractive. But the book puts you much deeper into the main character, and the story's sequences are far more convincing.
on December 17, 2015
Great new character. Love Mickey Haller who defends drug dealers, prostitutes and gang members. He has a strong sense of right and wrong and absolutely everyone deserves their day in court. His father was one of the great criminal defense lawyers who had several well known clients including Micky Cohen.

Mickey is sought out by Louis Ross Roulet to defend him against charges of brutally beating a known prostitute. This case takes on a life of its own when background checks are done. Mr Roulet is not just a person falsely accused. There more investigating that is done, the scarier his client becomes.

This is a fast paced, character driven plot. It has some pretty amazing twists and turns that I never saw coming. A thoroughly enjoyable book that kept me guessing right to the end.
I am a great fan of Connelly's standalones, particularly (but not exclusively) The Poet. The Lincoln Lawyer, however, is his masterpiece to date. The novel begins slowly. It is not ponderous or dull; Connelly is simply setting the stage very carefully. Once set, the action is nonstop. The courtroom scenes are masterful, the characters engaging, the ending satisfying. As a sometime journalist Connelly does not utilize legal nuance the way, e.g., Steve Martini does. As a journalist, however, he has a greater sense of place and the feel of the streets and the sweat beneath a damp collar. The architectonics of the trial--the traps set and then sprung--are beautifully wrought and the overall plot arc most impressive. Don't miss this one and don't worry about setting aside the time to read it. Once you begin you won't stop and you'll end with a thirst for more. This could be the start of a new series.
on March 21, 2017
An excellent read. As always if you've seen the movie, it will color you vision of the book, in this case in a great way. I love reading Michael Connelly, just brilliant. Mikey and Harry are the best!