Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 97 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 166 reviews
Already big fans of genius author/illustrator Melanie Watt thanks to her clever Chester series, we recently introduced our six-year-old to Scaredy Squirrel and he's quickly became his new favorite character. The silly little squirrel who is scared of just about everything, and always has a plan to protect himself, never fails to make my little guy laugh hysterically.

And the idea of when-all-else-fails-play-dead has even entered our family lexicon as a favorite inside joke, often complete with prat fall and tongue hanging out.

Very much in the tradition of Mo Willems, Melanie Watt is among the very best children's author/illustrator's working today. She writes smart, funny stories for kids that help make them love reading. I just can't say enough good things!
on June 2, 2016
One of my favorite kids books! A great way to have discussions about fear and it's place in our lives and how we can adapt and have new experiences.
on April 27, 2017
My five year old adores the Scaredy Squirrel books. I was pleased to see this one at a good price for my Kindle, so we can have a few digital books for bedtime when we travel.
on April 29, 2015
Very funny and cute! Our 4 year old girl and 7 year old son both love it. It was a fairly easy read for our son, only a couple bigger words that he needed help with. I couldn't figure out why he had sardines in his emergency kit...very clever indeed!
on March 4, 2015
Great book for any one of any age! So much hidden humor in this book. Such a simple book to be packed with such complex ideas and rich vocabulary. This book really made me think of Donuthead! Instead of a boy with OCD it's a squirrel! It's good we can laugh at our own quirkiness and Scaredy Squirrel gives us the permission.
VINE VOICEon February 18, 2010
The Turkeybird Speaks(My 3 year old son's POV): "This book is one of those that I just can't put down. My favorite is when my dad reads it, 'wake up, eat a nut, look at a view, eat a nut...', he just does such a good job! Scaredy Squirrel is one of those characters you love instantly, I mean, he's really a flying squirrel! He can fly! How cool is that? And he's afraid of bee's and I am not a fan at all. I once had one sting me and my thumb swelled up like a balloon! So of course you want to stay away from those terrible bugs!

"My favorite part though has to be his emergency kit! He has everything you could ever need in there to keep away all the scary things you might encounter! Although I'm still not quite sure why he's afraid of sharks? I LOVE sharks! But my mom doesn't, so maybe it's an adult thing??? Anyway, the emergency kit! My mom and I even drew one up together. They have one you can print off on the website for the book and it is incredible! You have to try it out! Of course we included band-aids, just like squirrel, because they are my favorite thing to stick to my body (even if I don't have a 'good' reason for it, as my mom would say)!

"This is a definite must read with any guy or girl you know! Pick it up and enjoy Scaredy Squirrel's funny adventure!"

Mom's Two Cents: "The Turkeybird is right, this is one funny book! It was actually awarded the ALA's award for most Notable Children's Book in 2007 and I completely agree. My husband, The Baker, reads to The Turkeybird every night before bed as there time together the rest of the day is limited and this is something they love to do together. Well, at least every other night he asks for this book. I love to hear him chuckle in the other room as he see's Scaredy Squirrel fall from the tree to discover he can fly and that the world outside his tree isn't really as bad as he first thought.

"One of the funniest things about the book is all the crazy things Scaredy Squirrel is afraid of. I love it! Martians, killer bees, tarantulas, poison ivy, germs and sharks. Now, I do have to say, I'm not a fan of sharks, never have been, but Martians? Hilarious! But the truly great thing about it is, I know we all know a little boy or girl who is terrified of something so completely random and impossible that they will never truly be hurt by it, but that doesn't mean they can't fear it. The author mentioned this in her discussion of the book:

From the author: "Mélanie has often noted how the Scaredy Squirrel books helped her work out her own insecurities and fears, as the success of these titles has required her to venture out into the unknown, and like Scaredy she has found the experience truly uplifting."

"In reality, though this book is funny and entertaining it teaches a wonderful lesson to children of all ages. When we stay in our shells, be it our homes or a safe place (a job, a city, a rut, anything), we could be missing out on all the world has to offer us. In Scaredy Squirrel's case it was knowing he could fly and see more of the world around him. Granted he still has some other fears to overcome, but it's all about taking things one step at a time. And who couldn't use that?"

The1stdaughter Recommends: Ages 3 and up. For kids (and adults) who may be frightened to step outside of their front door (or even their comfort zone).

Make sure to visit the publishers website for some fun activities too!
on November 10, 2012
I love all the Scaredy Squirrel books. They are so fun to read. There are great opportunities for children to learn about being organized, even though Scaredy Squirrel is a little over the top. Great lessons in all books.
on December 14, 2015
Great kids book with a message that it's good to try new things. Our kids from 2-7 love it!
on April 6, 2015
My eight-year-old grandson, who actually reads on a fairly high level, loves the Scaredy Squirrel series. It addresses well the vulnerable feelings a child has in new situations and opens up the lines of communication between child and adult. These books also contain a fair amount of gentle humor (that Scaredy Squirrel!) and are easy for an eight-year-old to read. He loves them and that's good enough for me!
on September 4, 2015
We love all the Scaredy books, so fun to pick this one up for the kindle.

By reading about a squirrel who is afraid, but then gears up and is brave it helps my younger ones look at fears in a different way. Also we had to go out and purchase antibacterial soap like Scaredy to fight germs.