Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 136 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 164 reviews
on June 18, 2016
Purchased this after reading Consumer Reports and reviews on different sites. Consumer Reports doesn't think any of the portables are all that great, but for people who have no other options, they rated this the highest. My house has all Andersen crank out windows, so my choices were install central a/c or purchase a portable a/c and make some adaptations (no a casement a/c unit will not work in a crank out window). I ordered it through Amazon Prime and while shipping was free, the price was pretty steep. A month later I see the price has dropped by $50, which quite honestly makes me feel ripped off. After the portable a/c was delivered, I took the vent hose attachments to a local glass shop together with one of my Andersen window screens to use as a template and paid them to make me a polycarbonate window the same size, with cut outs for the intake and exhaust. When it is hot out we now remove the screen from the window, insert the polycarbonate window and hook the portable a/c to it. The P12B isn't quiet, but it isn't totally unbearable. It's biggest drawback for me is the ugly flex hoses that attach to the window and the amount of floor space the machine takes up. It does work well to cool down our 228 sq ft master bedroom -we've been using this unit a/c to keep the room at 70 degrees while it is 90 degrees and humid outside. I did insulate the vent hoses as I understand the exhaust hose in particular can get very hot and throw that heat back in the room. A lot of reviewers bought Reflectix pipe wrap available on Amazon to accomplish this, but I bought a product called Cool-aide that is specifically designed for this purpose (Amazon doesn't offer it, I found it through a web search). It is a polyethylene sleeve with several layers of recycled cellulose inside of it that easily slips over the flex hose).

As far as the supplies to make a portable a/c unit work with an Andersen crank-out window, if you are handy you can do the work using the following supplies that are all available on Amazon: a Lexan Sheet - Polycarbonate 1/8" thick (.118) (don't use plexiglass, it is too brittle); CRL-Sash Universal Storm Window Frame (sold in 12' length and can be cut down to frame the polycarbonate), CRL-Sash Square Storm Window Corner for CRL-Sash Square Cut Fabrication (used on the corners of the storm sash frame); silicone sealant for around the intake & exhaust vent holes, and some kind of fastener to hold the new window where the screen would normally sit (we used CRL Andersen Knife Latch and screwed them to the outside of the storm sash framing the polycarbonate - they lock right into the slots where the Andersen bug screen would normally be).
on July 28, 2017
I may be sending this review too soon. Have only had this unit for a couple of days, but it is doing what I wanted it to do when ordering it. After the season ends, and, if it is still performing as well, then the five stars is correct.
on June 7, 2017
Works great easy install. Timer fuction is weird since you don't set the time so how does it know when 12 actually is. But cools down a room in 20 min
on September 29, 2016
Love this unit - have used it for air conditioning only so far. It seems strong and durable and much easier to install than a window unit.
on September 18, 2015
I ended up returning mine. I live in Hawaii and it has been record breaking hot and humid, which is why I decided to buy a portable air conditioner. My room is roughly 250 sq ft, and so this A/C should have cooled it down easily but sadly it didn't. At night it worked a little better, but during the day the best temp I could get to was about 83 or 82 degrees F. Like I said, I dont know if its because it was just so humid that a portable A/C just wasnt gonna work anyway, but this was my experience.

*Packaging* - it arrived in a really beat up box that didn't have a bottom and fell apart when I took off the plastic wrapping restraints. Did not like the amount of money I had to spend to repackage it myself...
on August 10, 2013
This unit was purchased to air condition the one room in my home that has heat but no a/c. I researched them and while Consumer Reports has not rated the many brands available, they recommended Friedrich and getting a dual hose system as this one has. The only better unit available is this brand but with a heater too. That would allow its use in the winter as well, however, I have heat in every room and did not need the extra weight and $100 cost. It works well for cooling my large family room but not as efficient as a through the wall unit. I have crank out vertical casement windows and had to make a panel to fill the window opening to seal the window around the vent tube mounting sleeve that took ten minutes and an old piece of paneling. I love it, my wife loves it.
on August 22, 2016
very good unit, Had to go tru 3 of them because of fed-ex but the last one was a charm. 45 degree comes out the fan and no leaks, Pump takes the water right out the pump hose thru the window.
on July 21, 2015
This machine is a reliable powerhouse! I have a 1250 square foot home and cant afford to replace my central air unit at the moment so I got this and am very happy with its performance. 1250 square feet is way more space than it is rated for but it does very well considering.
on July 23, 2016
Doesn't really cool off the room. I find that it only cools off the room at night. Should of just stuck with a window unit not a portable one.
on August 15, 2014
Great piece of equipment. Keeps my garage cooler during our hot, humid summers.