Industrial Deals HPC Design the future with O'Reilly Media Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by NERD Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Star Wars movies on sale for Prime members Star Wars movies on sale for Prime members Star Wars movies on sale for Prime members  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Assassin's Creed Origins Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 1, 2012
The Kingston SSDNow V+200 is a low to mid level performing SSD. Spec wise it's it uses the same tried and tested Sandforce sf-2281 controller that many SSD makers use. I don't know if it is it's firmware but it has slower performance than most others using the same controller like the Vertex 3 or the SanDisk Extreme Even though it's slower it's still way faster than what any HDD can offer on the market without Raid 0.

Price wise when I bought it with a coupon was $150.00 and it's true price (at the time) was $170.00 so a little overpriced on what it offers since you can get something a lot better at the same price so $150.00 is were I think it should have been as I think I paid a fair amount for it's performance.

Heat wise it doesn't get hot and is lighter than most SSD's i've used and should fit most laptops and ultrabooks. "Performance tested using crystal disk" On Sequential Reads I got 211.983 MB/s and Sequential Write 126.289 MB/s "this was on uncompressed files so that score was nothing spectacular" now on compressed files I got what was advertised which was Sequential Read speed of 470.988 MB/s and a Sequential Write of 479.751 MB/s. Now my suggestion is to get the latest firmware for any SSD so that there working optimally and you get what you paid for.

For people who just want a decent SSD for a fair price I would look elsewhere as there are better offerings on the table right now unless you find it for around $150.00 with or without a coupon code.
on December 21, 2013
Power Consumption (Active)
3.23W
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 12, 2012
We received the SSD and installed it in our customers system. It fired right up and has been working just fine. It came packaged appropriately for electronics. It was shipped right out, we only had to wait a few days. Thank you
on September 29, 2012
Excellent product and fast delivery. I used it to install Mac OS Mountain Lion and runs perfect, In terms of speed and quality. I will recomend to every one, relation price vs. benefits are great
on July 14, 2012
------
UPDATE

I am raising 1 star. After trying this device on SATA III/SATA II, SATA III gave me far better results 420MBs Read/300MBs Write. So in summary this device is not a well performer on SATA II but still reliable. It's been a month using it and it's working like a champ.

------
I bought this device for upgrading my ASUS laptop. It was pretty easy to install, not issues at all. I did a clean install of Win 7 Ultimate 64bits and it's fast, but not as fast as it says on specs (535MB/sec read and 480MB/sec write speeds). Using 3 benchmark tools (ATTO, CrystalDiskMark 64 and AS SSD) I am barely obtaining 198MB read/ 90MB write speeds and that is static on the 3 benchmark tools.

I've checked my system and it's using the latest SATA controllers (AHCI) + the latest firmware update from Kingston + I did all the configuration changes in order to speed up the SSD. Don't take me wrong, it still is 2x faster than the stock HDD 5400rpm that came with my laptop.

Pros:

- Cheap
- Easy to install
- Stable (no blue screen after long periods of hibernation)
- Faster boot/shutdown times than the HDD (starts up in 12 s or less)

Cons:

- Very slow compared to its competitors (I also have a couple of Corsair Force GT SSDs on identical systems and they beat this Kingston by far).

This is not a bad product if you want to speed up your laptop and save some battery lifespan, but I would strongly recommend you the Corsair Force GT solid state drives is you really want speed.
on August 16, 2012
I had received a different SSD drive from Kingston that unfortunately didn't work for my needs. I use SSDs for recording professional video off my Panasonic AF-100 that's coupled to a Black Magic Design Hyperdeck shuttle SSD video recorder. The drives must be formatted with a Mac partition, and for quick access to the video files I have an Ineo USB 3.0 desktop docking port. Certainly not the typical application most people would put their SSDs through. The huge bandwidth demands of uncompressed footage firing across the SDI connector will put any SSD drive through its paces. I'm happy to report that this drive passed with flying colors.

After pulling the drive out of its plastic case and adhering the spacer to it I was able to easily plug the drive into the docking station where Windows detected it immediately. Using my MacDrive software I created and formatted the drive with a Mac partition. Pulled the drive out of the docking station and placed it into the Hyperdeck, turned the Hyperdeck and the camera on, and the shuttle happily and without any hiccups recorded a good chunk of video. This is exactly what I need my SSD drives to do.

On a side note, I cannot overstate how blown away I am by Kingston's customer service. When I wrote about the problems I experienced with their other SSD, they contacted *me* and helped to get this drive in my hands instead. This company really bent over backwards to satisfy a customer. I have never had a company contact me asking if they could help get *me* a product that would work for my requirements. Kingston has a customer for life now. If it's a choice between their product and a competitor's, their's is going to win every time.
on August 21, 2012
111.8GB available space, win7 install from usb very fast, start up/shut down time very fast ~10/6 sec. Never going back to conventional HDD. Gaming, web surfing, photo editing, everything is much faster now. Can't comment on reliability, yet.
on July 13, 2012
I just finished running the Kingston SSD through a series of tests and I am thrilled with the results. Finally my laptop has the speed I need to do the job of running a variety of software packages. Photoshop now loads in seconds and everything works so much faster. I love being able to get into my work instead of waiting ages for the machine to just boot up.

Windows 8 is a dream on this Kingston SSD.

Well worth the $$$ to get work done sooner.

Dan
on February 3, 2013
Works well and is a lot fast than the old hard drive, and has the plus of not being as sensitive to a knock when running.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.