Top positive review
543 people found this helpful
Great wireless scanner/printer, drinks ink
on August 3, 2012
REVIEW UPDATE: 1/17/2015
She's still alive and running great! She still drinks ink faster than an alcoholic on a binge, but I buy no-name brand ink from LD Ink for it and it still prints fine.
About 2 months ago it started to skip some colors when it printed, so I took the print head out & cleaned it out with pure Isopropyl Alcohol & it's back to printing perfectly again (I was amazed at the garbage that came out of the print head! Dried ink, gunk, etc).
This one's outlasted all my previous Canon All In One's. It still stays glued to the network, even after a power bump it comes right back online. I can even print to it from my cell phone and tablet now too! (through Canon's Android app) (Haven't figured out the Google Cloud Print thing on it yet).
It still scans, copies, faxes, and prints great! I can still scan from the device to any computer (that's turned on) that's on my wireless network (Yes. Even the Macs) and it still functions great.
I've even gone through a couple of Wireless Routers in the time I've had this and it's always found the new routers and was a cinch to get set back up again (Kudo's to Canon on making this really easy to do!)
I even convinced my folks to buy one of these a while back and they love theirs too. My mom prints to it from her iPad all the time. In the time I've owned it, my Father In Law has gone through a couple of HP All In One Printers (no surprise there).
Original Review Below:
This is my 3rd Canon MFP. While I was contemplating other brands (because these things drink ink like crazy & I only get about 2 years out of them), I still am glad I went with another Canon.
Wireless Scanning AT THE MACHINE
- Unlike the Epson, HP, and others, this machine will actually scan over wireless to the computer of your choice by pressing the Scan button on the machine (at the machine you're not restricted to just a USB connected device--Love it!)
- You push the button, choose the type of scan (PDF, Image), and then you have the choice of choosing which network connected computer to scan to.
- I have an iMac (with OS X AND Win7 on it via VM Ware), a MacBook Pro, an Acer Laptop, a Dell XPS, and a clone PC
- If the computers are on and connected to my network, they all show up in a list to choose from
- You choose the computer, then press SCAN and it starts to scan
- I tried it on all my computers & platforms & it worked flawlessly! Great software!
- I absolutely LOVE Canon's MP Navigator. It pops up, the scan is saved into it, and you're ready to use the file. AWESOME!!!
- Super easy! Tell the machine you want to use Wireless and it looks for wireless access points (routers)
- You select your router and enter a password if you use one (I do)
- It then connects and that's it! You're done!
To set up your computer to talk to the printer, just install the software & let it run through the install
- Your computer will detect the printer and whoala! You're ready to print (or scan or fax) over wireless!
- Canon definitely rocks in this department and setting up the MX892 over my MX860 for wireless was even simpler.
- Super simple. Plug in your phone line, and it's pretty much ready to fax
- There's also quite a few settings (tone/pulse/phone priority/machine name & number registration, etc)
- But right out of the box you can plug it in & it'll fax (I tried it. It worked!)
- It prints quicker than my MX860 does
- The ink tanks look a little smaller and if it's like the 860 I'm sure it'll eat through them like water
- I notice the ink will evaporate if you don't use it (I don't print a lot & the ink just "disappears") I swear it's alcohol based
- I bought off-brand ink for the 860 & never had a problem, I'm sure this will be the same
- Worked perfect!
- Lift the lid, put something on the copy glass, select the # of copies, and press copy
- Out comes your copy.
- It has lots of bells & whistles (enlarge/shrink/scan to duplex, etc), but I just use it as a basic copier and it works great
- Canon's printing software has to be some of the best out there. I've tried lots of others and I'm hooked on Canon
- Super easy install, super easy to use, and it "just works!" Every time!
- No hoky monkey business to scan or print or fax, just easy to use buttons to get you moving
- There's some extra's in there (calendars, photo layouts, etc). I printed a calendar & it did pretty well
- I tested some of the downloadable templates on the printer
- The calender templates are pretty cool
- I'm sure I'll be trying others
- Yet to be seen. I'm not holding my breath
- My MX860 lasted just over 2 years before the internal power supply died
- Came in one day & it was dead. No way to fix it. Hello garbage can!
- My previous Canon MFP had the print head go bad
- I've read that the HP's/Epson's/Brother's are more reliable & drink less ink, but the Canon functionality (being able to actually SCAN over wireless AT the machine) and ease of use of the software still make it work for me
- I'd much rather have a machine that I can actually use & have to replace it every few years than fight & grumble with a "reliable" machine that won't do what I need it for
- If you're looking for an easy to set up, easy to use Multi-function printer, then look no farther. Setup couldn't be simpler and it just works. Every time!
- The Canon MFP's do drink ink like it's going out of style (my MX860 actually EVAPORATED ink), so just use off-brand ink & call it good.
- The machine is smaller than the Epson Workforce or the HP 8600 series (shorter) although it takes up just about as big of a footprint. But I like not having to use a stool to use the top of it
- Time will tell how well this one will hold out, hopefully longer than the MX860, but I'm happy with it so far.
[3 MONTH UPDATE 11/24/12]
The printer is working absolutely flawlessly and I still love it!
- Definitely prints faster than the old MX860 did
- Print quality is noticeably better too
- The cartridges seem to be lasting longer.
- I'm still on my original set & they still have quite a bit of ink left
- Maybe they finally fixed the evaporating disappearing ink issue! SWEET!!
Scanning (Via Wireless AT THE MACHINE):
- I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS FEATURE!!!
- It still works flawlessly
- Stick something on the scan bed or in the automatic document feeder, press SCAN, and away it goes!
- One improvement over my MX860 is that it remembers the last set of settings used
- You don't have to reselect which computer you want it to go to. It chooses the last one used. AWESOME!!!!
- The MX860 made you choose which computer you went to every single time you scanned
- With 5 computers running at any given time in the house, but usually scanning to just one repeatedly (Win7 via VMWare on the iMac), it's been a godsend to be able to just walk up to the machine, press SCAN, and it scans to the right machine!
- Again, flawless...and FAST!!!
- From a cold boot, the machine is ready to fax in about 15-20 seconds
- From the machine booted, it's almost instant
- Load the document feeder, press FAX, enter the number & press Black & White or Color and away it goes!
- Love it!
- Rock solid! It's never left the network
- My MX860 would sometimes disappear from the network & come back (wasn't for long, but it was annoying sometimes), this one NEVER leaves the network and if you have to reboot it, it finds the network FAST!!!
- I'm using an Apple Airport Extreme router
- The Canon Software rocks!
- If you get one, try the cool Canon Creative Park printable cutout animals
- Very, very cool!
- We printed out a bunny, cut it out, glued it together and the kids loved it!
- Yeah, it's a gimmick to get you to use more ink, but still, VERY COOL!!!
- I still love it, would recommend it to friends, and would buy another one!