Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 847 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,104 reviews
REVIEW UPDATE: 1/17/2015
========================
She's still alive and running great! She still drinks ink faster than an alcoholic on a binge, but I buy no-name brand ink from LD Ink for it and it still prints fine.

About 2 months ago it started to skip some colors when it printed, so I took the print head out & cleaned it out with pure Isopropyl Alcohol & it's back to printing perfectly again (I was amazed at the garbage that came out of the print head! Dried ink, gunk, etc).

This one's outlasted all my previous Canon All In One's. It still stays glued to the network, even after a power bump it comes right back online. I can even print to it from my cell phone and tablet now too! (through Canon's Android app) (Haven't figured out the Google Cloud Print thing on it yet).

It still scans, copies, faxes, and prints great! I can still scan from the device to any computer (that's turned on) that's on my wireless network (Yes. Even the Macs) and it still functions great.

I've even gone through a couple of Wireless Routers in the time I've had this and it's always found the new routers and was a cinch to get set back up again (Kudo's to Canon on making this really easy to do!)

I even convinced my folks to buy one of these a while back and they love theirs too. My mom prints to it from her iPad all the time. In the time I've owned it, my Father In Law has gone through a couple of HP All In One Printers (no surprise there).

Original Review Below:
======================
This is my 3rd Canon MFP. While I was contemplating other brands (because these things drink ink like crazy & I only get about 2 years out of them), I still am glad I went with another Canon.

Here's why:
Wireless Scanning AT THE MACHINE
- Unlike the Epson, HP, and others, this machine will actually scan over wireless to the computer of your choice by pressing the Scan button on the machine (at the machine you're not restricted to just a USB connected device--Love it!)
- You push the button, choose the type of scan (PDF, Image), and then you have the choice of choosing which network connected computer to scan to.
- I have an iMac (with OS X AND Win7 on it via VM Ware), a MacBook Pro, an Acer Laptop, a Dell XPS, and a clone PC
- If the computers are on and connected to my network, they all show up in a list to choose from
- You choose the computer, then press SCAN and it starts to scan
- I tried it on all my computers & platforms & it worked flawlessly! Great software!
- I absolutely LOVE Canon's MP Navigator. It pops up, the scan is saved into it, and you're ready to use the file. AWESOME!!!

Wireless Setup:
- Super easy! Tell the machine you want to use Wireless and it looks for wireless access points (routers)
- You select your router and enter a password if you use one (I do)
- It then connects and that's it! You're done!

To set up your computer to talk to the printer, just install the software & let it run through the install
- Your computer will detect the printer and whoala! You're ready to print (or scan or fax) over wireless!
- Canon definitely rocks in this department and setting up the MX892 over my MX860 for wireless was even simpler.

Faxing:
- Super simple. Plug in your phone line, and it's pretty much ready to fax
- There's also quite a few settings (tone/pulse/phone priority/machine name & number registration, etc)
- But right out of the box you can plug it in & it'll fax (I tried it. It worked!)

Printing:
- It prints quicker than my MX860 does
- The ink tanks look a little smaller and if it's like the 860 I'm sure it'll eat through them like water
- I notice the ink will evaporate if you don't use it (I don't print a lot & the ink just "disappears") I swear it's alcohol based
- I bought off-brand ink for the 860 & never had a problem, I'm sure this will be the same

Copying:
- Worked perfect!
- Lift the lid, put something on the copy glass, select the # of copies, and press copy
- Out comes your copy.
- It has lots of bells & whistles (enlarge/shrink/scan to duplex, etc), but I just use it as a basic copier and it works great

Software:
- Canon's printing software has to be some of the best out there. I've tried lots of others and I'm hooked on Canon
- Super easy install, super easy to use, and it "just works!" Every time!
- No hoky monkey business to scan or print or fax, just easy to use buttons to get you moving
- There's some extra's in there (calendars, photo layouts, etc). I printed a calendar & it did pretty well

Extra's:
- I tested some of the downloadable templates on the printer
- The calender templates are pretty cool
- I'm sure I'll be trying others

Reliability:
- Yet to be seen. I'm not holding my breath
- My MX860 lasted just over 2 years before the internal power supply died
- Came in one day & it was dead. No way to fix it. Hello garbage can!
- My previous Canon MFP had the print head go bad
- I've read that the HP's/Epson's/Brother's are more reliable & drink less ink, but the Canon functionality (being able to actually SCAN over wireless AT the machine) and ease of use of the software still make it work for me
- I'd much rather have a machine that I can actually use & have to replace it every few years than fight & grumble with a "reliable" machine that won't do what I need it for

Thoughts:
- If you're looking for an easy to set up, easy to use Multi-function printer, then look no farther. Setup couldn't be simpler and it just works. Every time!
- The Canon MFP's do drink ink like it's going out of style (my MX860 actually EVAPORATED ink), so just use off-brand ink & call it good.
- The machine is smaller than the Epson Workforce or the HP 8600 series (shorter) although it takes up just about as big of a footprint. But I like not having to use a stool to use the top of it
- Time will tell how well this one will hold out, hopefully longer than the MX860, but I'm happy with it so far.

[3 MONTH UPDATE 11/24/12]
The printer is working absolutely flawlessly and I still love it!

Printing:
- Definitely prints faster than the old MX860 did
- Print quality is noticeably better too
- The cartridges seem to be lasting longer.
- I'm still on my original set & they still have quite a bit of ink left
- Maybe they finally fixed the evaporating disappearing ink issue! SWEET!!

Scanning (Via Wireless AT THE MACHINE):
- I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS FEATURE!!!
- It still works flawlessly
- Stick something on the scan bed or in the automatic document feeder, press SCAN, and away it goes!
- One improvement over my MX860 is that it remembers the last set of settings used
- You don't have to reselect which computer you want it to go to. It chooses the last one used. AWESOME!!!!
- The MX860 made you choose which computer you went to every single time you scanned
- With 5 computers running at any given time in the house, but usually scanning to just one repeatedly (Win7 via VMWare on the iMac), it's been a godsend to be able to just walk up to the machine, press SCAN, and it scans to the right machine!

Faxing:
- Again, flawless...and FAST!!!
- From a cold boot, the machine is ready to fax in about 15-20 seconds
- From the machine booted, it's almost instant
- Load the document feeder, press FAX, enter the number & press Black & White or Color and away it goes!
- Love it!

Wireless:
- Rock solid! It's never left the network
- My MX860 would sometimes disappear from the network & come back (wasn't for long, but it was annoying sometimes), this one NEVER leaves the network and if you have to reboot it, it finds the network FAST!!!
- I'm using an Apple Airport Extreme router

Cool Extras:
- The Canon Software rocks!
- If you get one, try the cool Canon Creative Park printable cutout animals
- Very, very cool!
- We printed out a bunny, cut it out, glued it together and the kids loved it!
- Yeah, it's a gimmick to get you to use more ink, but still, VERY COOL!!!

Overall:
- I still love it, would recommend it to friends, and would buy another one!
1515 comments| 543 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2012
Pros:
1. Autodocument feeder for scanning, copying, and faxing( single and double sided ). I love this! I no more need to scan pages by hand. It saves so much labors.
2. Individual color. Nothing is wasted.
3. Very good generic ink replacements. NO need to buy OEM. Generic ink manufacture, for example, Sophia Global, here at Amazon, sells generic inks that do a great job at a fraction of cost of Canon OEM inks.
1010 comments| 224 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 12, 2015
I bought this printer 11/22/2012 on a Black Friday sale. The printer looks new--It got very little use (mostly faxing, very little printing-no photos), as I took 6 trips last year for a family emergency. I got error B-200 this week (damaged printer head). A used printer head is more than I paid for the printer. From reading other user comments, this problem/error comes up every 2-3 years regardless of use. I do not recommend this printer, or their newer model, as you will have to buy a new printer every couple of years. Shame on you, Cannon!
review image
on September 6, 2016
I am posting this review after over 4 years of purchasing the product because of the bad experience I have had with it recently where I started receiving the U052 error. I ran into the issue only yesterday, and have tried cleaning the print head etc, and wasted almost half a day of my Labor day long weekend, but to no avail.

Further research revealed that this is a common error, which has even resulted in a class action lawsuit, and the deadline for benefiting from that has also passed. What is also ridiculous even if the class action lawsuit deadline had not passed is to receive any compensation from Canon, you need to prove that you tried to get the printer fixed - i.e. show some receipts etc; now the crazy part is that the amount you will likely spend trying to get it fixed is greater than both the cost of a new printer, and the amount Canon will compensate you with as a result of the lawsuit.

Finally, what was the worst thing about the printer is that as a result of this print head error, you cant even use the scanning functionality. It just blocks off the printer completely - you cant use a perfectly functioning scanner that you paid money for because Canon created a software that prevents you from using it if their own print heads malfunction!!

Does someone have a suggestion for a good printer with functionality similar to this one?
on July 24, 2016
JUNK. I'm not going to waste your time with a long explanation of this one-star review. Suffice it to say this printer is suffering from the B200 error after 3 years of light use. (Mostly college English papers I had written or the occasional google map.) This error is frustrating because it renders the machine 100% inoperable. Even tasks that do not require the use of ink/printing, such as scanning, are blocked! Poorly designed, poorly functioning. I recommend another printer.

FOR CURRENT OWNERS: Removing and cleaning the head (cotton balls, rubbing alcohol) allowed it to work again for one or two prints but it would revert back to the B200 error the next time I wanted to print something. So if you're in a crunch and can't wait for a new printer, this may work for you too, but it's not a permanent solution. The only permanent solution is ridding yourself of this headache and getting a different printer/brand.
on June 12, 2016
Let me make this review as direct as I can; DO NOT BUY THIS PRINTER. As with others here and on Canon's user forum, I was hit with the dreaded U052 error. Canon REFUSES to acknowledge this error. The error states that an "incorrect type of print head was installed." This was not the case. Following the instructions Canon provides is useless. There apparently was a class action lawsuit Canon was forced to settle due to this known defect. According to the defective printer class action lawsuit, the problem typically occurs once the one-year warranty has expired so Canon refuses to repair or replace the printer for free. Of course, repairing the defect costs more than the printer. Nice. Now I need to purchase a new printer. I can guarantee you it will NOT or EVER AGAIN be a Canon.
on July 2, 2016
Like lots of other people here, this printer inexplicably started printing blank pages one day. Nothing fixes it - restarting, performing the "deep cleaning", reinstalling the drivers, etc. It worked great for three years, then POOF! it transformed into a really expensive, fancy-looking paper weight. I will not buy a Canon printer again after seeing how pervasive this issue was with the PIXMA series and how little Canon appeared to care. Just look at the Canon support forums and their responses on how to "fix" this - ludicrous.
on June 4, 2012
Ordered this through Amazon, standard shipping, got it 1 day later. I couldn't get this faster if I bought it in a store!

The printer is amazing. Set-up was easy, I just followed all the steps in the pamphlet, and then the set-up screen on the printer itself. It does come with a CD (software installation if you want to use all of the printer's functions, mostly photo enhancement and editing capabilities), but it's not required for regular printing. It's really simple to connect to the printer wirelessly through your computer.

The main reasons why I wanted this printer were: wireless, and auto duplex copy and printing. And so far, I am happy! Of course, with all auto-duplexing printers, as they get older the chance that the duplex hardware will fail increases. So, we'll see how long this lasts, but I have good hopes for the best. The printer is sturdy and seems very well built. It is easy to use, and has a lot of options for use. There is even a port on the side to put momory cards and USB drives directly into the printer, so you don't even need a computer! It also has the ability to connect to your phone so you can print things off your phone. Finally, if you want a fax, this thing connects to a phone jack and acts as a fax machine.

The only thing I don't like about this printer, is the size. I wish it were smaller, but I guess the size is a function of that auto-duplexing I like so much. It has a tray under the print-feed out that stores all the paper for printing; but if you want to print a photo or something that is non-standard size (ie. an envelope), it needs to be fed through the tray that opens up in the back. So if you thought you could put the printer flush against a wall, you would be sadly mistaken. The back tray is also necessary for printer head alignment (you get 2 sheets of "special" papers that you need for this task...I'm not sure where you can get more if for some reason you need to align the heads more than twice for some reason). So if you have a small office, pay attention to the size dimensions listed by amazon (it's also pretty heavy).

Bottom line: if you want the function of one of those mega-printers from your office in your home, this is one of the best out there. But pay attention to where you want to put it in your home, it's larger than most home-office printers.

EDIT: This printer became inoperative as of Jan 2017 (almost 4 years). I got an error code (B200) and will no longer turn on. The only way to repair this is to bring the printer to a Canon repair store. Customer support informed me that it would be cheaper to buy a new printer (I appreciate their honesty). The printer worked well when it worked, but it's frustrating to get an error code with absolutely nothing you can do to fix it.
on July 13, 2015
This printer was used lightly, and I mean maybe printing something once every two weeks. Not even at the 2 year point now, and the power supply has completely died. Essentially, Canon PIXMAs work for a year and then stop. If you're going to buy a Canon printer, just don't. Go buy another reliable brand. We've had HP printers previously and none of them have died even after 5+ years of use. If you still go against this advise, make sure you buy a warranty on this product.

Absolutely horrible, and a major regret buying this item. If you search reviews, you know this is a purposeful quality problem that management knows about. They also take advantage of people by providing you a discount on a replacement which costs more than regular retail. Avoid Canon. Dishonest company, bad management, poor product.
on September 9, 2014
I had been a loyal Canon customer for nearly 10 years when this printer (the PIXMA MX892) died on me last week.

At first, the printer just refused to print. Then it refused to copy. Scanning was still functional until the unit decided to die via the dreaded "B200" error code. FYI there seems to be no known permanent solution to the B200 error code. For the error to completely shut down all of the printer's features is just outrageous and ridiculous.

I have owned this printer for nearly two year and it had worked flawlessly up until last week. Canon has lost a loyal customer who maintained his printer properly and used only genuine Canon inks.