Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 516 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 687 reviews
on January 20, 2016
I purchased this camera 5 months ago to use in my Fashion business and also for my Photography business. I had been shooting with the Canon 7D which is a great camera. I will still shoot with the 7D for my Photography business but for my Fashion business this camera has resolved all of the lighting problems we had with interior shooting. I needed the speed of the AF and all those cross type AF points and the high fps for action shots occasionally and couldn't find anything that came close to the 7D in terms of performance before now.

The Body is well built and handles well in every situation I have used this in.

The Low Light capability is over the top. I have not noticed the weight at all on this camera being a problem, even with longer heavier lenses it handles well.

61-POINT AUTO FOCUS:

The AF system here is identical to that in the 1Dx and is THE most sophisticated AF system EVER put in any Canon body. It is superior to that in the 1DV and all bodies before it.

While most of us wanted only a 7D equivalent AF system, Canon delivered the flagship system found in the 1Dx. The AF has not missed focus for me yet.

The AF accuracy, metering and noise is over the top in comparison to other cameras I have shot with and handled over the years. This camera is super fast and super sharp.
I have tested the AF point in servo and one shot mode with my fastest lenses. Speed, accuracy, and consistency have been exceptional and better than anything I have used before. AF gets the job done. enter AF point and all peripheral AF points are all usable with fast primes.
I am amazed with the results at 1600, after minor RAW adjustments to the noise, there is virtually no grain and the image is perfectly useable. I did test the 25600 and while I would never use this ISO in a shoot situation, I was impressed with the quality. Yes there was noise, but you're at an ISO of 25600

ISO Range. This is one of the main reasons why I bought this camera. Whereas the the 5D3 is usable up to ISO 12800. (In comparison, the 7D is usable up to ISO 1600

Every feature on 5D3 is an upgrade over the 5D2.

BUILD QUALITY:
It's hard to put my finger on exactly what changed, but the 5DIII just feels more substantial. It feels like a chopped down 1-series instead of a buffed up 10 series. The contour of the body has changed to fit your hand better. The rubber is also a new compound which is much grippier than before. The 5DIII feels much better to hold and use than the previous 5D bodies.

JPEG:
Out of the camera, the Canon JPEGs are phenomenal. With processing if needed they are quite remarkable.

Exposure Bracketing / HDR / Stacking

* The Mark III now supports 7 exposures -- A huge improvement in the software for anyone doing HDR.
* The Mark III has in-camera HDR processing, which is nice (perhaps to get an idea how something looks, on the spot)
* The Mark III supports in-camera image stacking, which can be used for a variety of creative and scientific effects

SD Card

* Having a second slot, with the second one being SD is a very nice addition, however slows down your shooting tremendously and this is a feature I will not be using.

Silent mode

* It is perhaps quiet enough for you to even take a few shots in places where photography is generally frowned upon.

Burst mode

* 6FPS is a major improvement over the previous version.

ISO:

The high ISO performance of this camera is simply incredible. With the 7D I tried to limit my high ISO shooting to about 6400... I am extremely comfortable shooing up to ISO 25,600 with the 5D3. Images are still very detailed with very nice looking, fine grain. Images don't become flat looking and still have a really nice look to them. I will even shoot 51,200 without a problem, although there is a big increase of noise beyond the native ISO values. It really is impressive.
he JPEG engine in this camera is staggeringly good and a solid 2 stops better at controlling noise at high ISO than the previous version.

METERING:

I find myself correcting with exposure compensation MUCH less now, Shooting with the two side the newfound metering accuracy of the mark III is very obvious.The new 5DIII is much improved here.

WHITE BALANCE:

I've noticed that while post processing I'm having to correct color less with the 5DIII files. This is very exciting, as it will save me a fair amount of time in post processing. Per usual, all of the cameras struggle under tungsten lighting. However, AWB is able to get color surprisingly close with anything that contains natural lighting.

MENUS:

I would strongly advise reading the manual because there are a lot of new settings and options which won't be familar to 5DII users. There are also a LOT of different ways to set up your AF system, so a little experimentation is needed. In general, the menu system is more complicated that before, but this also allows a much greater degree of customization of the camera. In that regard, the 5DIII is much closer to a 1-series than before. Take the time to learn it and set it up correctly.

My next camera will definitely be the Canon EOS-1D X but for now this camera meets all of my needs and then some for my Fashion Business and my Photography business.

LENS: EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

I purchased the Canon EOS 5D Mark III 22.3 MP Full Frame CMOS with the included EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM. I was familiar with this lens already having purchased two of them prior for two family members and using it for from time to time. I had wanted a walk around lens with IS so getting this included lens was going to be my answer for that.
So far as an owner of this lens I really do not like it on my 5D camera. (personal choice) I will use it more on my 7D camera in my photography business.
I am used to shooting with the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM and this will be my lens that I will use the most on this camera body.
review image review image review image review image review image
on March 19, 2015
I love this camera! It will do everything that I will need it to do and much much more.
review image review image
on January 4, 2017
My first foray into proper, professional grade, full-frame DSLR's and I love it. I knew it was going to be better than my old T3i, but it is more than just a little step up. Admittedly it took some time to learn how all the different settings work, and to figure out some basic settings to get what I want out of the camera. There is still a lot to learn. I'm probably using 30% of the capability of the camera, and it's already enough to make my photos better.

Larger sensor means more light and better low light performance. Not a night to day difference, but noticeable. The increased autofocus points improve focus and help get the right picture the first time. Programmable modes and buttons allow me to do more things both faster and easier, so photography is a bit more fun. I'm more confident of getting the photo I want the first time instead of snapping 5 or 6 in hopes of getting a decent one.
on January 6, 2013
I am a hobbyist with a Canon T2i (550) camera and couple of Canon lenses.

I always wanted to go for a full-frame camera and finally pulled the trigger on this one. Even though it is expensive - since I don't make any money from this hobby - it is the best investment I made!

Things I liked in this camera, compared to my T2i - picture quality, shutter sound, double card slots with simultaneous raw and jpg capture, advanced view finder, in-camera hdr, micro focus adjustment for lenses etc. There are many reviews on internet for other technical details and features.

I found the AF system of this camera takes some time to master and it got many more options and features to learn for a T2i user.

Now if you are a user like me, don't hesitate to buy this camera as you will like the features and image quality.

I am still learning to use this camera and think it will keep me entertained for a while :-)

Please note that this camera is heavier and little bigger than Rebel models.

I used this camera with my Canon 24-70 2.8 L lens and it can get heavy after 4-5 hours of use :-)

Please check and rate my images and reviews.

Thanks,
review image review image
on December 5, 2013
If you are on the fence between the 5D Mark III and the 6D, perhaps my experiences will help:

This is the second 5DIII I've purchased and I've also owned the 7D, 6D and 70D (all of which I've sold to fund this beast). Take it from someone who has lost hundreds of dollars buying a 5DIII, then selling it for a 6D, and then selling the 6D for a 5DIII again after realizing how much I really missed the 5DIII; there is simply no comparison when it comes to AF performance, unless you are willing to spend twice as much on a 1DX, which also has the same AF system as within the 5DIII!

So if you are trying decide between the 6D or 5DIII and you already have some good glass first and foremost (AND you can afford either), seriously...just buy the 5DIII. You won't regret it. If you plan on using the outer AF points instead of just the center one (especially for fast glass, like the 85 f/1.2L II), it's a no-brainer...the 5DIII wins hands down. However, if you are willing to compromise and rely mostly, if not solely, on the center AF point and just crop as needed, then by all means save yourself a few hundred bucks and go with the 6D, and use the remainder for some other photographic goodies, such as the aforementioned 85L or 24-70 f/2.8L II (both are stunning combinations)! The image quality differences between the two are negligible at best, so it really comes down to the static features (or lack thereof) that they offer and your particular needs:

5DIII - more robust body, superior AF system, faster X-sync speed, dual card slots, RAW video w/ Magic Lantern, etc.

6D - smaller and lighter body, center cross-type AF point sensitive to -3 EV (but only the center point), allows interchangeable focusing screens for improved manual focusing, etc.

I hope this helps. Either way you decide, you'll have an amazing tool for capturing your artistic vision. Good luck!
on December 21, 2015
It has taken me awhile to decide on this purchase, but since the 5DS and the 5DS R have come out this product finally dropped the price by a whopping $500 (it held its value for years) and now I could finally buy it. It has a firm weight to it, if you aren't used to using a semi-pro camera then be prepared. I have already bought Canon Battery Grip and attached it, which does add some more heft but is a solid addition to this camera if you want all day shooting.

Take the time to read through the manual or pick up a Dummy's Guide as the features on this camera are MANY and wondrous!

I bought the body only as all of my lenses from my 60D are compatible, but I am wish listing a lot of L series lenses now.

Also, I recommend a solid tripod. Due to the weight of this product if you are going to be doing any type of bird or animal watching the weight will really tax your arm. I also chose a sling type strap (which I have used this style for years) so that I do not have to worry about drops and is a lot more comfortable to wear than a neck strap.

Beautiful and solid camera, probably the best camera Canon has put out that has truly withstood the test of time. If you are looking for an affordable semi to pro camera, this is the product for you.
on January 3, 2014
I'm a photo enthusiast, not a pro. Like others have said, this camera is truly the Jack of all Trades. It does everything well. This is the first time that I upgraded to Full Frame. Coming from the 7d, I liked its performance, and image quality at low ISO. But as the 7d gets above 3200 or 6400, I would have to do more post processing, images were too grainy, and lost a lot of details. In certain cases, images were unusable. But with this 5D3, not afraid to use High ISO. I was at a wedding, shot around 500 photos, and they came out great. Some photos, I didn't have too much post processing at all.

1. Image Quality - excellent, sharp, more natural colors
2. AutoFocus - lots of points, fast, Spot-On focus
3. High ISO performance - excellent, less noise, I was able to use photos shot 6400 and above. Less post processing time
4. Performance - 6 fps
5. Brings out the best in my cheap lens!
6. Dual Card slots
7. Price - @$2700...Yes, worth it!

For those considering 5D3 or debating between 6d and 5D3, I would say, get this camera. The 6d just doesn't have some of the important features that 5D3 have, which could come in handy in the future, and I think it's worth the extra $$. Hopes this helps out others who are deciding.
on April 25, 2016
Professional level camera with amazing capabilities. Every person who buys this will love it, It does everything. Gorgeous pictures. Excellent quality.

We bought this as an upgrade from our Rebel SL1 which is also an excellent camera. This has more functionality for the person who want to increase their photography skills with an upgrade, while still not going into the hideously expensive class.

Full Frame, an amazing piece of equipment. All the bells and whistles you want while still being approachable to the amateur.
on August 17, 2016
This camera is FANTASTIC, takes beautiful photos even before editing. My wife is a photographer... I know very little about photography but much of her work is editing and I thought that the quality of camera wouldn't matter much with as detailed as gets in the editing. I couldn't have been more wrong. She still edits, but I would say her time spent is cut considerably, at least by half if not more.

Price is high, but for the quality of camera I don't think it could be beat.
on August 28, 2016
Totally love this camera. Was using 6d and upgraded to this bad boy as primary and it has changed my life. Editing takes half the time and the quality is so amazing. I would marry it if I could but my wife would be angry.
review image