Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 1,488 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,511 reviews
on February 16, 2017
I love the format. Simple and easy to navagate. i can add new chanels quickly. i have this app on all miy devices! problem..to many repetative news sourses. Sometimes Wash Post and NY Times shows over and over . Needs to show better veriety of sourses!!
on January 2, 2017
Still looking for a replacement for the wonderful "Breaking News" app, so tried this. Sorry I did. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but within an hour after I installed this, I started receiving spam "Congratulations! You've won" pop-ups that took over my Kindle. Once I uninstalled the app, they have not returned.
on June 26, 2016
Format is better than breaking news but I can never open the full article without it going back to the teasers. It is unstable on my Kindle Fire.
on October 26, 2016
Great app - timely and easily navigable on Kindle. A good way to start the day!
on February 1, 2017
I am being generous with two stars considering to advertising embedded in the app. There is no need for the quantity and size of the advertising. Why can't you take a look at how newspapers advertised in the advertising section and reported news in the news section. If you want me to NOT buy a product, shove the advertisement in my face and I will look for a different product!
on March 23, 2017
Just the facts, mam....I find it handy to get a quick update on what is really happening, not some biased hype.
on February 27, 2016
So, I totally get that monetizing an app is tough. This app is a perfectly reasonable aggegator... No real co plaint, but the ads are *very* intrusive. They are much larger than the news items, and placed every two or three slots. Kind of drives me nuts.
on April 9, 2015
I tried this app because it has overwhelmingly great reviews, and a lot of them. At first impressions, I can see why. It's a very cool implementation, highly customizable. I got totally caught up in tinkering with selecting feeds, creating my own, reordering them, etc. So what's wrong?

When you tap into an article, there's usually a "summary" before the story begins. But often this summary is just a weird combination of sentences from the first paragraph of the story itself, sometimes with dingbats and random characters that make it hard to read. And then when the story is essentially the same text that was in the summary, it seems pointless.

Several times for me, the "summary" hasn't even been related to the story. It's like fragments get pulled in from some other places and culled into the summary. Sometimes they read like spam emails. It's very strange.

Sometimes the photos and thumbnails don't match the story.

Sometimes I see a weird summary, then a paragraph that's the same text but without the random characters, and a link to open the article in a browser. Meh.

I'm keeping the app, maybe it will get better, or I'm doing something really wrong. But so far, it's too much mental effort just to read an article. I try it and quickly go back to AP News. Or Buzzfeed. :)
on September 7, 2014
Newshog is a good app for what it's worth (free) however I feel like there are improvements to be made. Firstly, it opens itself whenever I turn on my WiFi, and randomly crashes after its opened itself, interrupting anything I am doing. It does not, however, crash when I actively use the app.

Secondly, it seems to grab random articles from random sources, with no real rhyme or reason to content. I've tried to read certain articles but have not been able to because the source was a paid subscription service. It also seems to take "articles" from opinion blogs instead of more reputable news sources, making me question how the app or app-creators search for stories to post.

Finally, it's supposed to be "news and weather". Well, I've been using the app for a little over a month and have yet to find where to get the weather portion of the app.

That being said, I will still continue to read news from the app, I'll just be more selective of which stories I read.
on May 12, 2013
I find NewsHog very useful and use it often. Adjusting the News "channel selection" for your personal preference is necessary for maximum benefit.

One apparently only subscribe to a limited number of "channels" out of the 30-40 provided. Until you become aware of this limitation, which was not clearly addressed in the user instructions, configuring one's channel lineup can be very frustrating because the changes are disregarded and the default configuration of a new installation is restored. Since the goal seems to be an intuitive interface which precludes the need for a manual, an alternative mechanism would be to alert the user through an error message that the user's custom configuration will not be retained because they exceeds the maximum allotted number of channels. Either method would help the user to understand why their channel selection continually returns to the defaults provided in a fresh installation despite multiple attempts using different methods. I kept thinking I overlooked a step to "SAVE" my choice which is why my channel selection was ignored and defaults are reloaded.

Once you understand this limitation, when the user selects less than the maximum number of pre-programmed channels, they can create customized channel selections for topics not listed. The result and usage is similar to personalizing Google News when you create a custom News topic. NewsHog will search out and load stories related to your specifications, and load it when you select the custom channel. This makes the program much more useful.

I suggest you give it a try, particularly if you have a Kindle Fire and have difficulty installing Google apps such as News.

Review submitted by Willy-in-VT.