Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 168 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 178 reviews
on December 19, 2011
I bought this for half day hikes into Big Cypress Forest Preserve in South Florida. The belt is strong enough to hold three lens pouches for relatively heavy zoom lenses. The pack is big enough for a tighly rolled poncho, bug repellant, snake bit kit, compass, mirror, whistle, matches, utility knife, cell phone, notepad, pen, lens cleaner and lens paper, bandana, and a pound of trail mix. The side pockets easily hold two bottles for water. It does get heavy, especially with the lenses so I use workshop suspenders to take some of the load off of my hips. This is a nice alternative to a camera vest which can be pretty hot to wear; and a lot easier to use than a back pack. And it is very well made.
on June 24, 2012
I am writing partly to defend this pack from claims that its belt is too long and it needs adjustment often and the clips are difficult to use. I didn't find any of this to be the case. If you familiarize yourself with the clipping system, it is very easy to use, does not need constant adjustment and is easy to adjust when you do adjust it.

Mine arrived yesterday, and I took it out yesterday on a 60 mile bike ride. I had needed something to carry my keys,wallet, small towel, electrolyte drink mix, energy chews, small snack and 16 oz of green tea. The pack sits very lightly when riding with it on a bike; in fact a couple times on the way back I thought it might have fallen off, it was so light and comfortable.

I recommend it.
on July 11, 2013
The High Sierra Express packis a good quality product, seems very sturdily made. Plenty of space, but obviously designed for men. Men have hips that are essentially the same size as their waist. Ladies...we have curves. This pack doesn't work so well with those curves. Those nifty v-shaped straps are supposed to share the load, making the pack more stable and easier to carry. Unfortunately, when the pack is in the "right" place - the small of the back where the straps rest just at the top of your hips- the lower line of the v needs to stretch just an inch or so farther than the top one. It doesn't. This means that the lower strap carries all the load, and the upper part just keeps the pack from flipping upside down. Not comfortable. Move it up so both straps fit your waist, and the main strap in across your diaphragm. Hard to take a good breath that way. Lower it so the v straddles your hips and its hard to walk, impossible to sit, and entirely possible that a good bounce will send the pack right down to the floor. So...good quality product, not so great for us ladies.
on July 19, 2013
I gave this bag 5 stars because it was very well made. Zippers flowed smoothly, the waist belt offered great support, the buckle was solid and did not pull apart once fastened, and all the seams were well stitched. This looks like a bag that would take years of use and abuse and never fail.

Why I returned it.....
For anyone looking for something like this to carry a DSLR

(I hate the padded waist camera bags that are bulky and don't fit well especially if I am already wearing a backpack).

I have a Canon T3i and am looking for a waist pack to replace my old one that has become frayed.
This one was almost big enough but the zipper just opens across the top and so prevents the camera from being put in and taken out very easily. It requires a little twisting of the camera to "work" it into the bag, Kind of like fitting an L shaped sofa through a doorway. Once in the bag the bag volume is big enough but this would become a hazard and risk dropping the camera fighting to get it in and out of the bag.

My old bag has sort of a clam shell opening so I have full access to the entire size of the bag.
on December 21, 2012
I "misuse" this bag as a conventional front belt pack instead of the lumbar pack it's supposed to be--most belt packs want to sit low and intrude on your leg mobility, which I dislike since I personally expect to encounter stairs when I travel.

The main compartment is huge. Big enough to squeeze in a Canon Rebel SLR with medium sized zoom attached. I used a 17-55mm f/2.8--a fairly hefty lens by most standards. Alternatively, you could store two such zooms side by side instead. I do not believe it can hold larger than a Rebel though, at least not with lens attached--blame the bulk from having a top LCD. Nowadays I use micro 4/3, and the bag is just so much roomier now.

The side mesh pockets are ok if used as intended, though the constant sloshing of half-finished bottles really distracts me, so I usually leave mine empty. Naturally enough, I didn't use them as intended and have tried sticking lenses in them. That works less well. Use narrow lenses only if you do. They work well enough as emergency pockets for loose change, tickets or lens caps, but nothing too small since the mesh isn't that fine and you can't cinch the opening.

So why not 5 stars? The straps. Without some additional twists, they don't keep the size you set very well. Also they are very long. I suppose that's good if you are very overweight, but I am moderately overweight and it is excessive on a 40 inch waist.
on July 5, 2012
I really have enjoyed my "fanny pack." I never thought I'd get one --ever. You will never find me out shopping with this as an accessory. However, when I started walking again after some injury that left me out of shape, I found it cumbersome to put keys, cell phone, dog treat, poop bags, and water bottle in my pockets. So after careful review, I purchased this model. I chose the black/tungsten/black color to blend in with my black shorts, or track pants. It comes with a reusable water bottle that I like. I drink more than that so I put another similar water bottle in the other side. I carry all of the a fore mentioned as well as an iPod. It has different pockets to hold the items separately. I am biking as well and I recently started using it for that. It has an adjustable strap that would fit a wide girth. I'm not sure of the product size details, ... see product description for that, but it is sturdy and easy to adjust. I would highly recommend this.
on July 6, 2013
I got this to have something to put junk in when taking the dogs on long walk/runs everyday. It is a great size, and allows me to put a water bottle in one side for me and one in the other for the dogs. I can put my phone in the pocket and it has the opening to pass the headphone cord through to listen to music or talk on the phone while I walk. I can also fit poop bags, Chapstick, doggie water bowl, and still have room in there. When I go early or late I do have a full size reflective vest that I can fold and put in there once its lighter out.

My only real complaint is that I'm a very small person and the waist portion doesn't fit me quite right. I'm 5 feet and about 105 lbs, so I have a lot of extra slack on the straps. It stays in place well enough though, and I'm able to maintain a slow run with the pups and it doesn't seem to bother me. Overall I very happy with it.
on November 13, 2010
A great entry-level pack, very practical and well suited for the casual/day hiker and/or anyone who doesn't want to spend $50-60 or more on a pack from a "fancier" equipper. The pack is well constructed and carries plenty of water. The central cargo container is modest -- it's not going to work as a diaper bag -- but if you're looking for a pack that optimizes H2O capacity (has pockets for two water bottles) without being a huge monster, the High Sierra Express is a good choice. For a slim profile, buy a second 500mL water bottle. Or if you need to reduce bulk in your luggage, leave the included 500mL bottle at home -- the Express' twin pockets will easily carry two 1-liter bottled waters from any convenience store at your destination with only a small change to the balance of the pack on your body. (A 1L bottle is taller than the included 500mL bottle, of course, but the pockets are still deep enough to hold it securely.)

The High Sierra Express is comfortable to wear, not too heavy, and is narrow enough for even the most slender of users. The belt, adjustable from 18" to 55", is ordinary webbing, not padded -- slightly less luxurious for long-term wear but also less bulky.

The High Sierra Express offers a great balance of overall size/bulk, water capacity, cargo capacity, comfort, and price! When I need to replace my second, older Outdoor Equipment lumbar pack, I plan to buy another High Sierra Express. :-)
on March 17, 2015
A great pack depends on the quality of construction and whether it meets your needs. I've had the pack for 9 months and it has had light use; the construction quality should allow years of use to come. I will post an update should that prove false! I use it for light day assignments (volunteer traffic control and urban searches. I carry snacks, a couple of ice packs, and a CPR mask in the main compartment, spare flashlight/radio batteries, a space blanket, and a couple of small doo-dads in the front smaller pocket. I also carry a first-aid kit; I put the waist strap of the High Sierra pack through the belt loops of the 1st-aid kit. this allows easy access to the 1st-aid kit without removing the waist pack. I tried using a bigger/taller water bottle but it felt too unstable; better to stick with the something closer to the size & shape of the bottle included with the waist pack.
on November 17, 2012
I discovered that two filled water bottles on this lumbar pack is uncomfortable. With each step you feel weighed down and it is uncomfortable...unless you have a football-player type of body, then you should be okay. The pack itself is quite roomy and will accommodate more items than other lumbar packs, but because you actually probably don't want two water bottles strapped in to it, it is only good for shorter hikes. For a long hike, find some other method for carrying that H20.

I have only used it once but it seems well-made and durable. Will probably last more than 10 years. I did a few hikes in Yosemite (about two three miles each) and only strapped in one water bottle and packed in enough trail mix and granola bars to keep me satisfied and it worked out okay. A full backpack would have been much better but I was able to avoid the sweaty-back syndrome.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.