Top positive review
2,281 people found this helpful
a properly researched purchase
on February 8, 2013
A little background about me: I'm a techie, recently moved to USA, i lived in Europe and Asia before. Stayed in a hotel for couple of days initially, moved to a new home and had to set it up ASAP. I boringly spent my free evening times for the last 2 weeks researching on mattresses.
After having researched a lot about different mattress types (spring Vs memory-foam Vs coir Vs gel-infused memory foam Vs latex), i finally decided to go for Memory Foam mattress because of two main reasons
1) distribution of pressure across a larger surface area of the back, which is good for the back, this property i guess is unique to memory foam mattress
2) durability, this one comes with 25 years warranty !!!
However, i happened to read that memory-foam mattress retains heat (may be good for people living in cold regions) which is not desirable for me. To mitigate the heat retention
1) there seems to be variants of memory-foam which can "breath" by letting air flow into the mattress, i wasn't sure how effective this could be, mattress of this type are priced less
2) Gel infused memory foam: this type has gel infused in the top layer of the memory foam, without getting into too many details here, i'm convinced this could effective than 1), obviously the price is little more.
3) combination of 1), 2)
Having decided on 3), the next task was searching for a brand, there are many brands with different prices, i decided on 12" LUCID-LinenSpa Gel-Memory foam mattress, it seemed to be a price-quality optimized product, when i bought this item there were only 42 reviews as against 300+ reviews for other mattress types, but i was confident on my research, well popular choice need not be the best ;-).
To summarize following four points from the mattress description is what made me decide the item
- Exclusive Lucid-Gel formula memory foam is infused with gel beads to capture and distribute heat
- Removable silver-infused cover is naturally antimicrobial and hypoallergenic
- Pin-core technology increases airflow throughout the sleep layer and helps regulate sleeping temperature
- 25-Year warranty; Open cell construction yields a longer lasting, more resilient foam that will not leave long-lasting body impressions
I paid $449 (excluding tax and shipping charges), in the rest of the review i would just mention important points, i already spent 40mins to write the above, would wrap it up quickly
- Got this item delivered on time
- nicely packed. It took about 10 mins to unpack.
- first impression: Awesome, also the mattress cover looks great
- there was an odor, not intense, it faded out in couple of hours
- i slept on the mattress, it wasn't too hard or soft, just perfect cushion. the pressure on my back seems to be distributed (memory-foam effect), did i feel like sleeping over clouds !!! ;)
May be i would write another review after couple of months.
PS: Hey BTW, if my review has helped you (either in buying or not buying this product), please feel free to click on the "was this review helpful link" at the end of this review, motivates to write more reviews in future.
04/04/2017 - Update after using it for 4yrs and 2months.
Some regions have become more saggy than others, its a different experience depending on which part of the mattress u sleep. Just avoiding sleeping on this mattress for over 2 months now.