Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 98 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 111 reviews
on December 22, 2015
I had crazy high hopes for this rain jacket. I read almost every review and the ones that had low stars, I assumed they were sweating in the jacket. I figured there was no way water would be getting through this thing, especially brand new!! I wore it today at work (I am an arborist) and it did pretty awesome for about 45 mins. After 4 hours in a light rain I took the jacket off to get in the truck and realized that the inside was soaked. It was wet all along the shoulders and the waist. This was a very light rain, almost a heavy mist. I was wearing a fleece underneath it and did not feel the water through that. I know for a fact I did not sweat, and no way in hell I sweat through the fleece. This is a rain jacket. It has one purpose. It does not do what it is made for. Check my pics. Note: these pictures were taken after I arrived back to our shop, when I removed the jacket on the job site there was water everywhere a dark spot is. Enough water that I needed a towel to dry out the inside of my rain jacket.
review image review image
33 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2012
The website is quite confusing on the products. The womens' & mens' are all in the same web site. I bought one for myself and another one for my husband and that's how I found out the difference. If there is a zipper near the Marmot logo, then it is a man. The woman jacket has only side pockets. The man's is more boxy look but the woman's has a shape to it.

I bought a woman's Team Red (it's a VERY bright red colour), size S. Measurements:
inner armpit to the bottom of the jacket :17"
inner left armpit to inner right armpit: 20"
inner armpit to the end of the sleeve: 21.5"

A man's black, size L. Measurements:
inner armpit to the bottom of the jacket length:18"
inner left armpit to inner right armpit: 24"
inner armpit to the end of the sleeve: 23"

I hope this helps.
11 comment| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 10, 2016
Great lightweight but durable shell! I got the medium (5'10'', 155 lbs) since the small was a bit too tight around the waist to accommodate layers and movement. I only wish that it were tighter around the middle, I could probably grow a very significant beer gut (or become miraculously pregnant) and still be okay as it is. This jacket's worked well so far in heavy rain, high winds, blowing ice, and snow. Cuffs, hood, and pockets are designed well.
on January 14, 2017
I searched online forever to find the best rain running jackets and finally decided on this one. It was a runner up in a lot of articles and I believe mostly demeritted due to its weight (the running sites all go for ultra light garments in the 4-6 oz range where I think this is closer to 14-16). It's definitely a more durable build which makes it heavier rather than the glorified trash bags

The only reason I'm docking it a star is the fit is a little goofy. I'm 6'2" and 240 lbs with a muscular build. I bought an XL jacket. The fit is good in the shoulders and chest, but the tail and arm lengths are weird
The tail sits about 1" too high, which causes it to want to creep up over my butt when I am active. This feels weird and probably isn't the best in a rain shower.
The arms are very long. I think this jacket is considered more of a hiking/backpacking jacket, but the arm length would suggest bicycling for the bent over posture with extended arms which usually causes the sleeves to ride up (but there is still extra length). I have to use the Velcro cuffs to keep the sleeves from sliding down, otherwise the cuffs come down past the knuckle to about mid-finger level. This makes it look like a child wearing his dads dress shirt when I jog, and it's a little distracting. BUT it's way better than being too short and letting the rain/etc in
The jacket is 100% waterproof from what I can tell. You can literally take it off and shake it and all of the water droplets fall off and it's a dry jacket.
If you're on the fence for a waterproof/resistant jacket...I don't think you can go wrong with this one
on June 15, 2017
I was very confused and astonished by how poorly this jacket performed in the rain. After doing extensive research and reading a lot of reviews I thought it would perform great. It is a great fit and look but it does not do the one thing it is supposed to do, keep you dry. The first time I wore it in the rain it got pretty much soaked through after only about 10 minutes. All zippers were fully closed and it did not seem to repel the water at all but just soaked through. It literally did nothing to repel the rain. I would have been just as good wearing any other non waterproof jacket. I almost wonder if I got a faulty product or something because I have not read anyone else saying this but this is what happened to mine and I am very disappointed.
on November 8, 2012
I use this jacket to commute by bike to work, and I've had it for about a month. For biking specifically, it's really great - it has a slim fit so that it isn't blowing in the wind, it has nice long sleeves (I have long arms and so my wrists end up cold if I'm riding a bike), and the hood tucks nicely behind your head so that it doesn't catch the wind. The jacket is long enough that it isn't riding up your back when you're on a bike - though it doesn't have the extra long back like you find with bike-secific jackets (which I don't like). I wear a Marmot light jacket underneath, and then just a T-shirt, and I've been comfortable down to about 35-40 degrees so far.

Fit - I'm 6'2" 165 pounds, and the large fits me perfectly. This isn't a baggy bulky jacket. It has a minimal weight to it, but feels substantial enough to be more than just a rain coat. It's truly a wind-proof water proof shell (thanks to Hurricane Sandy, I know this for sure!). As an outer layer, I think this thing will get me through the winter.

I don't really have any negatives to say about it.
on April 29, 2017
I normally wear an X-large but it was very form fitting and I like to wear sweaters and/or a down vest underneath so I returned and got the XX-Large. The XX-large fits slightly bigger than the X-large normally fits but I have plenty of room for layering. Other than that I would say that I love the jacket. It is totally water proof, light, and keeps the wind off really well. More over this thing is so light, love using it as my outer layer when hiking/backpacking. Would buy again.
on November 18, 2016
Best gortex jacket under $200. May be the only one actually. Nonetheless it's nearly perfect for the needs of a lightweight shell. The Velcro cuffs are the only drawback as they don't have much hold.
on June 22, 2017
Walked for about 60 minutes in a steady light rain. The phone in the front chest pocket had water on it and the shoulders were soaked through. When I got home the insides of all of the pockets were wetting through, so i doubt it's sweat. All zippers were even closed before i stepped out into the rain. To give you an idea how light the rain was the cotton shorts I was wearing were just damp. I Have to say the Gore tex shoes I were wearing were exposed to deep puddles and the same rainfall and they were 100% dry. Now the jacket looks like its very well made and top quality, but a plain ol cheap frumpy poncho actually performs better.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2016
Marmot continues to put out great products and this minimalist jacket is one of my favorites. Expensive yes, worth the cash yes. I'm from NYC and this thoughtfully designed jacket has kept me dry during thunderstorms and snowstorms (coupled with the alpinest fleece). Lightweight, perfectly fits my body, the adjustable hood is a great feature which keeps it secured to your head and allows it to move with you. The sleeve cuffs are adjustable and allow for a perfect fit. The pockets provide enough space for your essentials and a bottle of water. Taking a hike, battling the elements, or just commuting around town this is the jacket for you.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.