Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on December 3, 2013
I couldn't understand all the fuss about Duck Dynasty until I watched the first season. Granted, it has the same plasticity of other so-called reality shows, you know, the invented issues that make up the bulk of these shows. But what sets Duck Dynasty apart is that these are genuinely likeable people. Sure, I think it's overkill (no pun intended) for 5-6 men to all be shooting at one or two beavers and I don't understand the zen-like quality found in duck hunting or killing game of any kind, but aside from that, the people in the show are just likeable. They aren't anything more than what they are-- a bunch or rednecks who figured out the American dream, have become millionaires and still value family.

I have NEVER watched the Kardashians and don't ever plan on doing so because they seem so full of themselves and seem as real as Bruce Jenner's face. But the Robertsons are kind of like the Waltons with beards. The season has some down-home wisdom wrapped up in fairly commonplace dilemmas and while it's hard to tell how much is invented for the cameras and how much is real, these people genuinely seem to be decent, God-loving people who value each other and living off the land. Yeah, they're also living off of the pile of goodies bearing their likenesses and beards found in the stores, but there's just something about Uncle Si's weird wisdom and the brothers' competitions and Miss Kay's home cooking that make you want to come back for more. There's just something about the Robertsons that make them seem like the oddball people in your neighborhood that carry shotguns but are pretty harmless.
|0Comment|Report abuse
It is increasingly difficult to find wholesome family entertainment on TV, so the Robertson's hit it out of the park with Duck Dynasty.

Pros:
- Yes, it's obviously scripted and contrived. However, it still makes for some fun and entertaining circumstances. Each person has a unique personality that the show purposely develops over time.
- The family isn't shy about its Christian values and ends each episode with a lighthearted prayer around the dinner table.
- Traditional family values are a virtue in this show.
- No coarse profanity and no sex. It's a welcome relief in this day and age.
- The show isn't shy about showing hunting footage or meat processing footage (e.g. cutting up frogs for dinner). It serves to remind me that meat comes from animals rather than from a white Styrofoam tray at the supermarket.

Cons:
- Some of the redneck-ness can be a little over the top and too contrived.
- On occasion, I see them discharge firearms in a way that I think is unsafe (like shooting in the air or shooting into things very close to themselves).
- There are only 15 episodes.

I've already purchased Season 2 and Season 3 based on our enjoyment of this first season.
2 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon June 13, 2013
One of my Facebook friends introduced me to the Duck Dynasty show via a comment she made in our small group. Curious to learn more, I found the television series on my DVR and started recording the episodes. Soon I looked over on the sofa and I saw my husband had joined me. Next my tween daughter and....shocking as all might...my teenage daughter! We finally found a show that the entire family enjoys!

What's appealing about Duck Dynasty and the Robertson family is their faith entwined with humor. You'll be laughing hard...and drinking sweet tea from Mason Jars as you feel like part of this family. Before you know it, you'll find yourself talking to family and friends about a favorite episode, and the reply is usually "I love that show too!"

While I enjoy the television episodes, they are not in sequential order so I don't know which episode appeared first or how this show evolved. So I purchased the series Season 1, Season 2 and even Season 3 on backorder...and I enjoy watching and laughing with my family. This is great family entertainment. There are a few scenes where animals are prepared to eat, so if you don't like to see how chicken is prepared for dinner from the farm to the table, you'll close your eyes on those quick clips! Not recommended for vegetarians and vegans, or young children.

I bought the Duck Dynasty DVD Seasons as Father's Day gifts for all the men in my family. And yes...I even bought my husband a shirt with the words of Phil Robertson Hap-pay, Hap-pay, Hap-pay! For a California native, this is quite a cultural experience!
2 people found this helpful
on March 30, 2014
After the recent media uproar about the Patriarch of this family, I read the entire GQ interview with him and found the Media had misrepresented what he said. This made me curious about the show and I wanted to start from the very beginning. While I'm not a fan of the beards and wouldn't eat some of the wildlife they harvest and eat, I have become a fan of the values they discuss and share. Also, the competition between the brothers is quite funny. The message of the episodes is family, love and bringing up the kids with the proper moral values. I have become a fan. There is no hate speech, profanity, bigotry or prejudice whatever in these episodes. It's a show that even kids can watch and learn something. I haven't gotten to the episode where they explain why they wear those beards. Thanks Amazon Prime for including the program for members.
VINE VOICEon August 9, 2013
We dumped cable several years ago so I am a latecomer to the Duck Dynasty phenomenon but I can say without any hesitation that I am a huge fan after watching this first season of this great show,

The personalities of Phil, Willie, Si and the rest of the family are dynamic and interesting. Watching the DVD was infectious and I blew through this entire season in two days, then I watched them all with the rest of the family a second time (I NEVER do that). It seemed to me that some of the episodes were slightly contrived as if the situations were created by writers and the family was asked to perform within a particular scenario. It seems to me that brothers Willie and Jase are perfect for this style of documentary television while Phil remains authentically detached from everything. Si just seems to be a natural no matter what you do with him. The combination is infectious because nobody seems uncomfortable or out of place.

I am looking very forward to catching up with the rest of the seasons over the next couple months. I don't think I've enjoyed a television show this much for a very long time.
on May 8, 2014
This show makes me laugh hysterically! Duck Dynasty is a reality show that is completely thinking out of the box, it's like a train wreck, you can't help to stare and it keeps your attention throughout the whole thing. I can't get enough of this show. Being born and raised in a major city, it's definitely different as it captures the lifestyle (and humor) of southern living! As they even say in the show, we are... "Rednecks with a lot of money"! I have Amazon Prime so I was able to watch the entire first season straight through and without any commercial interruption (best way of watching!). If you haven't watched it yet, do it! And keep an eye on "Si", love that guy!

I also enjoy that it doesn't follow the trashy mainstream reality shows that are demeaning, sending wrong messages, swearing or promote bad behavior. This shows the true principles of a christian family in the south. I love that at the end of each show they sit down to eat and give thanks for another day. Very inspiring on a spiritual level.

There was controversy over the off camera preaching of Phil Robertson against homosexuality, however there are Christian and this religion condones this lifestyle. A&E knew they were Christian before filming and choose to still highlight their life. Shame on A&E for attempt (yes attempt, as all the other family said they wouldn't continue filming without their father) to fire Phil from the show for preaching his beliefs OFF CAMERA. These are good people and their message is real.
on August 31, 2013
I'm not that kind of guy who likes to watch reality shows (or watch a lot of TV for that matter), and I guess you can't say this is a reality show per se, but what I like is that this one is of those you can classify as a real family show (something you don't find nowadays on TV), you don't have to worry if you kids are alone watching it.

I like the fact the Robertsons show themselves as they are, no masks, no watching over the shoulder because they have money. They remember their roots, where they come from, and just keep being who they are, a family who loves each other, spend quality time together and support each other all the time. A family who started their business in a humble building, and their hard work was blessed with what they have now.

What you can expect from the DVD is lots of fun (especially with Si), christian values, hunting and a family presenting everyday situations... oh and lot of funny Vietnam anecdotes/stories brought to you by Si.

I really like it, it's one of my favorite shows.

A+ for me.
on March 4, 2014
Not being the redneck hunting type, I never in a million years thought I would like this show. In fact, I used to scoff at all the hype and the overabundance of products that I was seeing everywhere. Then I watched the first episode and fell in love immediately. Now I'm a diehard! They are real, genuine, honest, funny, God-fearing people and watching their show, which ends every episode with a family prayer, is so refreshing compared to the large majority of garbage that you can see on TV and in the movies today. While I don't relate to their hunting pursuits and especially not the things they eat (squirrel, frog, etc, YUCK!), everything else is hilarious & heartfelt and full of the kind of values that are disappearing in this modern culture. I highly highly highly recommend this show!
on November 11, 2017
watched cd 1 today and played fine, 2 of the plastic cd covers are cracked in the corners, glad the cd's survived / checking all cd's today, something happened.
2nd box cd holders cracked and parks falling off. cd's play fine Very poor packaging, if you intend on keeping the collection, better but a cd holder for all cd's
on November 10, 2013
I could not imagine liking this series when a friend tried to explain it but after a few episodes, it grew on me and I had to purchase the DVD. It is refreshing to see a series that is funny, clean and family oriented. I absolutely hate the "family TV series" these days - there is almost nothing valuable in them. Spoiled, smart alec kids grow up to be spoiled, smart alec adults with no respect for others - and then we wonder why people go around shooting other people. The Robertsons portray what family structure, good parenting and gun ownership should look like, and Uncle Si is a kick in the pants. No wonder the series is so successful. Thumbs WAY up!