Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on May 3, 2016
Saw the traveling show and loved it. Now I love the movie. Great songs-- fine production values. I recall when this film came out I was shocked that an old-time musical was being released and wanted to see it. Then it bombed so fast in the theaters that I never got a chance to see it. The next 25 years or so I got on with my life barely giving it a thought. If I noticed the 20th anniversary release I probably thought "why that movie, who will buy that bomb?" Flash forward to 2016. I'm much older not at all the target market for this show and I loved it. Rewatched it and I rarely do that :)
on March 30, 2016
Its a kids musical. A Disney kids musical and a musical not made in the fifties. Generally not something I would have picked to watch but one of my kids talked me into it. Solid casting, big, over the top music, decent story line, good to great casting, superb sound quality and visually close to a feast. Ann-Margret? Yes, Ann-Margret. It was all better than I thought it would be. Glad I bought the blu ray.
on May 13, 2016
Newsies is one of my favorite movies. I grew up watching it on VHS so I was excited to be able to purchase it on DVD so that my kids could see it. It's about family and brotherhood and standing up for what you believe in.
4 helpful votes
on June 6, 2016
I watched this movie when it first came out. I ordered it because my kids and I have been listening to the Broadway version. I did have to explain that the songs were a little bit different and the reporter is different (between movie and Broadway versions). However, they LOVED the movie. They constantly want to watch it.

I know there is some issues with story line, which is probably why the Broadway version is a little bit different. However, the little guys win against the big guys which is a Disney theme. It makes a nice feel good movie with awesome songs.
on August 12, 2012
I don't think I had seen the movie when it came out two decades ago. I usually do see any musical. When I saw one number "Newsies" on the Tony Awards it was terrific and won the Tony for Alan Menken. So I got the movie and it is really good. Lots of dancing and singing with great acting too. In hind sight, you know it would be more sharp and exciting if it were made today but it holds up very well. I got it in Blu-ray and am I glad. Two of the features included are the original Trailers. They didn't bother to give them the Blu-ray treatment and it really shows. This really sold me on Blu-ray. If you don't have a Blu-ray player don't buy this movie...you will not be happy. There are some great dancers and actors including Christian Bale as the lead Newsie (yes he can dance and sing) and Robert Duvall is truly excellent as publisher bad-guy Joseph Pulitzer. Lots of fun. Oh yea, also featured Ann Margaret in a fantastic roll. I didn't even recognize her!!! She was never better.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on October 18, 2016
A good fun movie. It was a favorite of my daughters when they were teens preteens. I have one daughter that still considers it one of her favorites. My grand daughters are just now discovering this fun movie. Anyone who loves fun music will love this. This is a family friendly movie.
1 helpful vote
on November 20, 2014
I had originally bought this movie years ago on laserdisc. Still have it. I watched it a couple of times. I enjoy musicals, so when I saw this on Blu ray with the great reviews I jumped at the chance to buy it. I always like Robert Duvall. Plus, Ann Margret all the way back to "State Fair". I was a bit disappointed in the production on the first viewing this time around. Gotta watch it again. Many, many times I enjoy films better with the second viewing. I'll let you know.
on May 28, 2015
A favorite since it first came out; my sister and I had it memorized at once! Still can't help tapping the toes and humming, "King of New York," or "Seize the Day," etc. Excellent for kids probably 7 and up, not because there's anything very risque (there is a little mild and suggestive language) but because the subject matter is a little more advanced (the whole idea of striking newsboys). An easy intro, too, to the musical genre if you didn't grow up getting fed 'Singing In the Rain', etc.
on February 2, 2002
"Newsies" is the best musical I have seen in almost 4 decades. It is fun, upbeat, sobering, and rebellious. Based on actual events at the end of the 19th century, it depicts the first strike of the "newsies," children, mostly boys, exploited by the wealthiest newspaper corporations in the U.S (owned by Pulitzer, Hearst, etc.) to sell their newspapers. While Pulitzer was one of the wealthiest and most powerful men in the country, the newsies were impoverished children, many homeless, orphans, handicapped or trying to help their families survive by eeking out a living. They had to pay for the papers they sold, and often lost money if they couldn't sell all their papers. Pulitzer, in an effort to increase profits, raised the amount charged to the newsies for their papers, provoking an entirely child-run strike that rapidly spread across New York City, and became a major catalyst for a movement to end child labor.
The story is fast-paced, appealing, and inspirational. The music is written by Alan Menken, and is very infectious. (Everyone in our household has been caught singing a tune from it at some point.) The sets, artwork and choreography are all stunning, and there is not one dull spot in the entire production.
This movie is great for all ages - children and adults. It depicts an important piece of history that is rarely taught in schools, and is more important in many ways than what we are taught. It is a wonderful tribute to the intelligence and ingenuity of children, and a reminder that if powerless people act together, they can overcome even the most powerful oppressors.
on September 20, 2016
I really enjoyed this movie, not only because it had a few of my favorite actors in it but also because I love the songs and the story.
The movie itself played well and made a great watch for family movie night. I would highly recommend it. :D
1 helpful vote