Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on January 7, 2017
Great picture! Here we have a Holmes who can make mistakes, but corrects them quickly, a Dr. Watson that is strong, capable, and a perfect partner for Holmes and a villain who is pure evil. There is comedy, drama, and great special effects. We may even dare to say we are delving into the realm of "Steampunk" as we see the Victorian era meet the modern era head on. A duel between British Bulldog revolvers and Mauser semi automatic pistols. I believe that this is the best Holmes and Watson ever. Do yourself a favor and watch this movie, it is great fun.
5 people found this helpful
on June 12, 2012
SHERLOCK HOLMES: GAME OF SHADOWS is the follow up to Robert Downey Jr.'s and Jude Law's very successful action-adventure SHERLOCK HOLMES. The entire cast is reassembled for GAME OF SHADOWS, including Kelly Reilly as Mary Watson and Rachel McAdams as Irene Adler.

GAME OF SHADOWS concerns the first showdown between Holmes and Professor Moriarity (Jared Harris), the brilliant but evil genius who is Holmes' nemesis. The year is 1891, and Europe is on edge due to a number of assassinations and bombings. Each nation is blaming the other, and it seems that World War I will break out 23 years early. Only Holmes realizes that Moriarity is behind it all, for reasons of his own.

Moriarity attempts to destroy Holmes by targeting Irene Adler and the Watsons. Fortunately, Holmes has new allies as well, including his older, smarter, even more eccentric brother Mycroft (Stephen Fry) and Madam Simsa Heron (Noomi Rapace) who leads a gang of revolutionaries once coopted by Moriarity but now fighting against him.

GAME OF SHADOWS outshines the initial film. The pacing is faster, the scriptwriting more crisp, the humor more incisive, the action less pyrotechnic. If the film has a relative weakness, it is in the female leads. Kelly Reilly and Noomi Rapace both give well-acted performances in inconsequential "pretty girl" roles. Rachel McAdams is wonderful, but her part in GAME OF SHADOWS is much abbreviated. This is really a men's buddy film nonpareil. Downey and Law, having given us the backstory of their characters in the original film, have incredible chemistry together as Holmes and Watson, and are able to explore in depth the complicated, sometimes ridiculous, often rivalrous relationship between the two men. All in all, it is great fun.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
10 people found this helpful
on July 2, 2012
It is hard to believe the Robert Downey Jr. of the late 1990s is the same actor in the lead role of this film. He continues to impress me with his matured and diverse acting ability. The way he has turned both his life and career around are very admirable. I am not going to say much about this film, except you should see it if any of the following applies to you:

You like watching films starring either Robert Downey Jr. or Jude Law

You enjoy action movies, because this sequel is probably a bit more action oriented than the first film, though not in a bad way.

You are a fan of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's mysteries or the Sherlock Holmes character in general

You enjoyed Raiders of the Lost Ark, other films from that series, or that type of action/adventure

This is a very well made motion picture that just keeps rollicking along until its climax. It proves to be a lot of fun along the way and has a decent storyline. Jude Law and the other supporting actors and actresses do a fine job, but Robert Downey Jr. makes this film, in much the same way I thought he dominated the screen in the Iron Man films and the recent Avengers film.

I watched this on a home theater with a 60 inch screen and full digital surround, but it still would have been better served in the theater. I am usually not a fan of sequels, but I hope they continue producing this series and keep it fresh. The first two films have been well above what passes for the current Hollywood average. I am sure I speak for many admirers when I say I wish Robert Downey Jr. continued success and look forward to seeing some of his future work.
8 people found this helpful
on October 18, 2013
I've recently been on a Robert Downey Jr. Kick and realized that I had the first film in the series, but not the second one. This one was a bit difficult to find for me. But that doesn't matter, I have it now, after getting an acceptable copy from a reputable seller here on Amazon. Guy Richie directs and in typical style he makes a lot of use of slow motion action sequences, upside-down cameras, etc. So what you end up with is an entertaining, action packed, art film, with a bit of humor thrown in. It is also rather fast-paced. But in my opinion it was very well done. I also think the second one was a bit better than the first, but that is only my opinion.

In this film we are introduced to Sherlock Holmes' brother and see some interesting,and occasionally hilarious disguises. Spoiler alert: Robert Downey Jr.is in drag in one scene. Nuff said.

This has nothing really to do with the movie but I enjoy seeing films that were either filmed in, or partially filmed in London...seeing how they depict London in 1891, compared to now (I have been there and like seeing places I have been in films) so it helps to bring the film to life for me, because, being familiar with the landscape helps me to immerse me into the story, It at least added to my enjoyment of the film anyway. So I thought I would throw that in there as a little side note.

All in all, it's full of action and humor. This is a must have for the RDJ or Jude Law fans out there.
Top Contributor: Star Trekon September 18, 2012
This movie doesn't seem to be nearly as well liked as the first one and I'm not sure why that is. I thought this still contained the Holmes and Watson from the first film, just with a less 'traditional' focus and more character development between the two main characters, and of course the addition of Moriarity. I will agree that this is not the Holmes I imagine from reading the official novels & short stories, but there really isn't that many inconsistances between two; the movies just focus more on the action and grit instead. I wouldn't say this is the best Holmes adaptation, I too liked the first movie better, but that doesn't make the sequel bad in/of itself. It had action, intrigue, mystery, drama, and even a little romance. Enjoy this movie for what it is, a different yet still mostly accurate representation of Sherlock Holmes. I know there are those who will disagree with that assessment but not only was Holmes a respected fighter, in multiple styles and with multiple instruments, but his final 'battle' with the good Professor was in fact a fist-fight.
3 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
A bit on the violent side. I wouldn't let children watch it. Since I don't have to worry about that anymore, it is one of my top favorite 25 movies of all time. Love the intrigue, mystery, and action.
on August 14, 2012
Excellent entertainment; Sherlock Holmes fans will be pleased; many good references to the original Conan Doyle stories. I think the violence level is somewhat greater than most of the original Sherlock Holmes material, but I don't think it detratcted from the story line. We meet a lot of our old friends: Mrs. Hudson, Ifene Adler, and , of course, Mycroft. The producer even found a use for Reichenbach Falls, which figured so prominently in Conan Doyle's effort to eradicate his all too popular detective hero. This is a "new" Sherlock Holmes adventure, not penned by Doyle, but is generally true to the thenes, characters and methods that populate the original Holmess stories. It should be enjoyable for Holmes many fans.
4 people found this helpful
on July 26, 2012
When the first came out I refused to watch it, because my inner Anglophile revolted at the thought of Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes. Such abominable casting was a tragedy of positively Hellenistic proportions to a true Holmes aficionado.
That said, my husband rented Game of Shadows last week and I was watching it before I realized what it was. To my astonishment, I found myself sucked in and thoroughly enjoying the experience. The only thing that bothered me (spoiler) was the incredibly trite "super villain amassing super weapons in order to start a war for profit" plotline. That part was boringly predictable and quite a letdown after the way it had been building up to that point. The sudden shift to comic book style villain was jarring and disappointing.
All in all, it was still a dramatically visceral take on Holmes and his world enjoyable enough to make me watch it twice and then rent the first installment.
|44 comments|Report abuse
on April 22, 2013
While this is definitely a reinvention of Sherlock Holmes it is still a good story though. The essence of Sherlock Holmes is there with the scientific investigation, the attention to the details around him, and the use of disguises to sneak around looking for clues or getting surveillance. What I think is remarkable is that these techniques were considered new and innovative in the time the books were originally written and a lot of police departments in those days relied heavily on witnesses instead of any other evidence. I am disappointed that the movie had such a sense of finality to it. With this being the second movie I was hoping for a movie that was about Holmes foiling another plan of Moriarty or at least thinking he had him only to find out Moriarty was one step ahead. I think this movie should have been the fourth or fifth one, not the second.
One person found this helpful
on October 18, 2016
While it doesn't come close to the brilliance of the first film, it does have more of what you probably enjoyed from the first movie. I would recommend it.