Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery March Birthstone Shop Popular Services _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Paul McCartney Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 374 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 430 reviews
on December 12, 2012
So I've owned this for about two months now and I've used it about five times. All in all, this is a good slow cooker - it seems to be built well, the cooking temperature doesn't seem too high, and at the end of the day, it works. So, a solid three stars for that.

However, there are a few major flaws in the design that make me question the competence of the designers who worked on this model. Things that would seem like a no-brainer to anyone who's ever cooked anything, but somehow, not the case here.

For example, the timer control has four AND ONLY FOUR settings, so it is not truly programmable. High for 4 hours, High for 6 hours, Low for 8 hours, and Low for 10 hours. Want to cook on high for six hours? Too bad. Want to cook on low for four hours? Tough. Now, of course, you can manually keep returning to the crock pot to adjust these times - there's nothing to stop you from coming back after four hours on high and adding another two hours, but if you wanted to cook something for, say, four hours on low and then have the unit switch over to "keep warm" afterwards, you can't. (This is particularly problematic for me when I make bone stock because the timer has a max time of 10 hours, and I tend to simmer for at least 20 hours. That means I have to continually come back to the crock pot throughout the day and reset the timer so it doesn't automatically shut off.) So there's no way to manually adjust the cook times?? Do they actually think customers are so inept that setting temperature and time separately would be too confusing, and therefore needed simplification to two hour intervals?

Second, the lid has a locking mechanism, which I've yet to use because you're not supposed to lock the lid while cooking - only during transport. This seems like a nice feature, but of course they designed the lid with no way of keeping the clasps actually in place when you turn it upside-down. So when you remove the lid and set it upside-down on your counter (so that you don't get condensed water all over the place) the locking pieces fall out of place and then get in the way when you want to put the lid back on, making you use two hands to put the lid on every time. Yeah, poor design again.

To summarize, the unit cooks reasonably well, but these two flaws seem somewhat inexcusable. It's not worth it to mail it back (I can't imagine what the shipping would be) but if I had the chance to do it all over again, I'd go with the nearly identical model that has an adjustable timer.

A few things that have been addressed on other reviews:

1) the crock pot does have an electrical/chemical smell the first time it heats up. This would be from the industrial solvents burning off. It goes away after the first use and doesn't get into the food.

2) the lid seal appears to be latex or silicone and not plastic or PVC. No odor left in the food that I can taste, and I tend to be pretty sensitive to that sort of thing. Moisture does seem to get into hidden parts of the lid, but so far I've been able to keep the lid clean (again, not very good design though)

3) the ceramic pot seems pretty solid and well built. No complaints there.
99 comments| 332 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2016
I got this unit because it had a locking lid, and a timer, and seemed to be perfect for use while traveling in an RV. Put something on and forget about it, arrive at the destination and you have a nice meal ready to eat right?-=- Well, not quite. I used it at home about 3 times before leaving on our next trip and could not be more pleased with the unit. When it was time to leave for our next trip, I put it in the RV, and my wife decided to make some good meal with it while we were traveling. We have a tripplite 4,000w very good quality inverter/charger, not a cheap unit at all in our RV. We have used it for more then 2 years with no troubles, and the inverter still works just fine after this happened. This pot claims to be travel friendly,.. but is is certainly NOT RV-power friendly at all!. Shortly after plugging it in and getting it set up for some slow-cooking,.. smoke started pouring out of the display panel, and the unit caught fire!. To say the least, we got the inverter shut down before this thing burned down the whole RV. -- We were extremely disappointed, and I feel like I have been misled into believing this thing was safe for power from an inverter, considering it is advertised as a travel unit.
on February 16, 2015
I purchased this crock pot in March 2013. I have no complaints about its performance. However, after two years microfractures developed in the coating of the ceramic pot on the inside and outside. I keep the pot stored in a cabinet with the vent hole open and the lid locked down. When I pulled it down to use it, there was white, black and brown mold growing in these microfractures. Yuck! I don't trust it. It's beyond my warranty so there is nothing I can do about it, and as a replacement crock costs more than the unit ($69), I won't be going that route. Neither will I purchase this crock again.
on December 22, 2014
Happy with crock pot. It has 4 feet so it is stable. The sides do get very hot. Good for transport that lid can be sealed.
on April 5, 2016
Great. Love setting choices. Timely delivery
on January 24, 2013
This slow cooker was a replacement for my 6-year old model, which we found would heat the food too quickly. Unfortunately this one is no different and follows a category-wide trend: food will cook completely in under 4 hours on low, and make it overdone at any of the fixed time settings. With no way to set a precise time, you can't even have it shut off earlier. But it does add some nice features like a sealed lid for easy transport, a gasket for a temperature probe, and an auto-warm setting once the time expires. The stoneware can hold fully-cooked food without power at 140F or higher for 3 hours in normal house temperatures (~73F), which is great. Overall I would give it 3.5 stars if it were possible - a slightly better than an average unit with some nice features, but a bunch of problems that hold it back. Will I keep it? Sure. It's an upgrade from my "dumb" crock-pot. Unfortunately there aren't many better alternatives out there.
Details on my testing are below:

To test performance and safety:
I prepared the slow cooker according to common instructions found online: 3/4 full of 40 degree water, set on low. Temps were taken every 15 minutes using a calibrated thermometer. Ideally it should heat to between 185F and 200F and reach the 140F "safe zone" within 4 hours. See my customer image for the graph of results. In summary: This unit cooked to the "safe zone" by 2:15 on high and 2:30 on low, and hit "cooked" at 185F by 3:30 on high and 4:15 on low. Both settings levelled off at exactly 204 F. At sea level it's not much of a problem, but at Denver altitudes water will boil at 203F. Left at that high a temperature, it could cause food to be overdone without regulating it yourself by removing the lid every so often, and watching it like a hawk. Now of course all of this could vary depending on whether the food is in full contact with the cooker, the initial temperature of the food (frozen or not), and if you add food during cooking which lets the steam out.
There's also a no-power-required temperature display on the front of the unit (the bright white label), which gives you an estimate of how hot it is even when unplugged and travelling. There's no probe for this thermometer, so I assume it is measuring the temperature of the stoneware - not exactly precise for the food itself, but a decent estimate nonetheless.

Power usage:
On high, the unit pulled 237 watts of power. On low, it fluctuated between 170 and 237. For your power bill this means that ~4.5 hours of use will pull up to 1 kWh of power. Using the US average for electricity, that's a total of 12 cents to heat up your meal. Disturbingly the unit pulled 2.1 watts of power when completely off but plugged in - the so called "phantom" power. That would add up $2.21/year if it was left plugged in 24/7. Not much, true, but this is just one more device in your kitchen doing the same thing. So as with all appliances, unplug them when you are not using them.

These are the recommendations I've found online and in the user's manual:
1) The pot has to be 1/2 to 3/4 full. If you're only cooking in a small part of the pot, it will heat up the contents much faster - potentially overcooking it even more if you are not watching. Conversely, if it's packed to the brim, there's no room for the steaming effect and the sheer mass of food will take longer to cook.
2) Empty and clean the pot while the food is still warm. Nothing is more of a pain to deal with than stuck-on food from the night before. Even the glossy surface of this pot can still have this problem.
3) Keep the lid closed as much as possible. Temperatures drop very quickly if you open it.

Pros:
- Temperature probe gasket on the lid: Makes it super easy to read the temperature of what you're cooking without opening the lid and letting all the steam out.
- Hooks on the back for the cord to wrap around are nice, especially when on display at a potluck.

Indifferent:
- There is slight electrical burning smell during the first few uses, but that went away soon thereafter. It's even mentioned in the manual as "normal".

Cons:
- The time settings are very limiting on this unit: 4 or 6 hours on high, and 8 or 10 hours on low. Especially since it tends to heat quickly, there's no way to lower the time. Unattended operation is not recommended.
- If you live in a electrically-unstable area, the fact that the unit resets to off with even a brief power loss might be a problem for you. No way to tell if the food was fully-cooked or not, and even the manual recommends discarding it.
review image
on July 30, 2014
Could not wait to get my new crock pot. I had given my older one to my granddaughter when she moved. It looks and cooks great. The two puzzling things about the inside pot is: 1. the lip to pick it up with is on each middle side not the ends of how you would normally pick it up. It's strange and I don't like that. I have to turn the whole thing sideways to lift the inside pot out..2 I noticed on the bottom of the crock itself has the word sunbeam indented on it. That makes me feel like the pot is not the original one. And the glass lid, you have to wiggle it in place like it's not made for that pot. I believe this was purchased before and was switched and sent back. Sunbeam has nothing to do with cCrockpot.. This is why I gave it a two.
on May 16, 2013
The new crockpots have been set at a much higher temperature than previous models due to safety concerns and government regulation. The new crockpots cook at 200 degrees which literally boils the meat instead of slow simmering which makes for rubbery meat instead of meat that falls apart after cooking. Research indicates this is all crockpots from all manufacturers.

Definitely would not recommend.
on December 8, 2014
Disappointed and returned because I need a 6 qt crock pot to cook up to 6 qts. but this crock pot holds less than 5 qts. When I talked to the company, they told me it is the housing until that holds 6 qts... REALLY...you can't cook in the housing unit. :-(
on October 10, 2013
I've now owned this crockpot for a little over a year and for the most part I like it a lot. It travels very well and it is very reliable. There are a couple features it is missing that I would have liked to have on a crockpot if/when I choose to replace this one in the future (which is the only reason for 4-stars). I tend to use the crockpot during the day when I'm at work. I do like that the crockpot automatically switches to the warm setting after the selected time has finished. I wish, however, there were more time options when cooking. You have two set times for low(8 and 10 hours) and two for high(4 and 6 hours), and they are not adjustable. There are many recipes out there that want low setting for a lot less than 8 hours or high for an hour and switch to low after a set amount of time and unfortunately I'm not home to change settings and potentially stop things from overcooking since I tend to use this during the week so I try to avoid these recipes. As a first time crock pot the price was right (I got this on a lightening deal) and it does what I want it to usually with excellent results. I did have the power go out on me one time while using it and like another reviewer mentioned, there is no memory so it did not restart afterwards. There were a couple reviews that suggested plugging the crockpot into a timer. That will unfortunately not work with this crockpot. When you initially plug it in you have to press the power button followed by the selected heat level and time. If you set a timer the crock pot will not turn on. Overall, however, an excellent crockpot that I would recommend to others.