Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Little Talks
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports

on December 23, 2012
I heard a marvelous song on the radio couple of weeks ago which deserves listening to, sharing and praise. The song is Little Talks by Of Monsters and Men. It's written in brooding and elegant B flat minor.

Dark, desolate, yearning, forlorn - yet hopeful, persistent and unyielding: this is the essence of B flat minor. Melodies in this key bring to mind dimmed soft light, gray steel, cold white flame and sparkling snow. If music had color, this tonality would be grayscale with rare blossoms of color.

This is why the match between melody, lyrics and video (which you can see on YouTube) in Little Talks is perfect.

The choice of instruments complements nicely the somewhat disturbing, somewhat silly and a very beautiful composition. Trumpets are upbeat, rallying and energetic, at the same time there is something mocking, sinister, and even diabolical about them. Guitars are nostalgic, grounded and tired, but also safe, familiar and protective. Percussion serves very well to punctuate and highlight important beats, encourage to carry on and to mobilize the melody to action at the right places. Soothing vocals with lispy Icelandic accent balance and stabliise the song. Creaking of ship, cracking or ice and background growl of monsters round up the sound canvass.

Animation is a work of art in its own right. There is something Monthy Pythonesque about it. A band of five men is on a quest, in outlandish surroundings, braving hostile elements and faced by nightmarish monsters; they are aided by a mysterious guide who time and again removes obstacles, incinerates menacing black-and-white creatures on their way in a splash of searing color, and encourages the band to carry on. Setting like that yields itself to many interpretations, for example: all of us have such guide of some kind - knowledge, wizdom, faith, ethics. As for the monstrous creatures... most of us have to conquer hairy unexpected unknown things on our paths from time to time.

Beautiful bittersweet song which makes you think.
When I first heard this song, I thought it was a new release from Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. You'll recognize the lead/response format immediately and adundant horn arrangements immediately. Even with its rising melodies, this is ultimately a song about loss and absence. Sing out loud at your own risk!
on January 7, 2013
The rating I give is based on how much I like the song. My opinion

I don't really understand how one can objectively review a song. It's entirely a matter of opinion, and a review of a song is basically pointless. I can understand reviews for albums because you can rate an overall collection of songs, especially when the review comes out before the album.

But youtube exists now. It's not like you need to base your purchase on what other people think. You listen to the song, and if you like it enough to want it on your mp3 player (or in better quality than youtube)... (or if you want to support the artist), you buy the mp3.

I guess I'm just babbling and I need to write a minimum amount of words to be able to post this review... Seriously though, I love the fact that amazon hosts customer reviews, but it's a bit unnecessary for individual songs.
on November 6, 2013
I caught this band on a late night talk show. I taped that talk show just to hear and watch this song over and over again. A Mulligan stew of band members...including a petite girl next store looking trumpetere that wow'd me and the audience. The female lead singer reminded me a bit of Bjork. Little Talks, to me, has that near imperceptible addictive sound like the I Would Walk 500 Miles guys.
on May 7, 2014
Reviews of songs is totally subjective so my saying it's good doesn't mean you'll like it. Listen to it somewhere and find out if it's right for you and if you enjoy the song hit the buy button. Just saying!!
on January 4, 2013
I lost a very close friend last year who had dementia and this song reminds me of her, we'd have little talks every day and she was losing it, but she was the sweetest cute little old thing you'd ever meet. And maybe this song has nothing to do with anything like that, but it makes me think of a loving older couple who've been together for.... forever and one of them isn't faring as well.
on April 14, 2012
"Of Monster and Men" rips into the serenity of your soul bringing a peace of realization. The intrigue of the words amaze the sounds as it wraps you in a band of never ending comfort. This is a twister album it grabs you, picks you up, flys you around, and than puts you on the ground in a place you have never been. This is Folk Heavy metal. Fleetwood Mac fans will love this above and beyond. This song is the anchor of a ship about to be pulled up to set sail. Will you be on board? I am. GREAT JOB!
on November 11, 2013
Music is all very personal and I'm not sure why I'm being asked to review it. What I may love, another person will not, but I'm tired of seeing it on my "Review Purchases" screen, so I really love this song.
on January 16, 2013
I liked this song since I first heard it on the radio. Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir has a very unique voice that enchants. It is a lovely song about an old couple. One is dead and one is trying to cope with the realization that their true love has passed on. It has an upbeat tempo that lends to a happy feeling while conveying a very real image of love eternal.
on September 30, 2013
This is my 18 month old daughter's favorite song. She listens to it all the time. I love how there are no curse words in it, so I don't have to worry about her picking up on that. It is a great song.