Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 22, 2012
I totally agree with Brian Foreman's review of this product. I bought this drive to replace a Kingston SVP200S3 which had been installed by my computer shop on June 1, 2012 and was beginning to FAIL already (< 3 months)! Checking both Intel's and Kingston's websites gave me a lot of information regarding the superiority of this Intel SSD drive. I also purchased Apricorn's "EZ Upgrade 3.0 EZ Gig Cloning Kit" from Amazon as well. The cloning of my still working but error prone Kingston was flawless and installing the new cloned Intel Drive was a snap----even a cave man could do it! :) I installed this drive in my desktop system which has an AMD Athlon 64X Dual Core running @ 2.41ghz with 4gb of Ram (my WinXP Pro SP3 system only recognizes 3.25gb). I had NO problems physically installing the drive in the case of my desktop PC, the mounting bracket provided with the drive along with cables & screws was a perfect fit! In addition, the SSD Toolbox software provided by Intel is far superior to what Kingston provides. I highly recomment this drive, in fact I just ordered another for a good friend & neighbor who's running virtually the same system (hardware & software) that I am...we want to replace his old mechanical Seagate drive before it crashes. As happened to me over this past Memorial Day weekend resulting in a painful replacement of the dead Seagate with the Kingston SSD. Fortunately for me in that case, I had a backup on an external USB drive so I didn't lose data. Far as I'm concerned, Intel RULES!!
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on October 16, 2014
With a failing original HDD in my older iMac (2007) I decided to spend a bit more money and get a nice SSD from the highly-touted Intel series of drives. I was utterly blown away with how fast my iMac ran after getting everything installed and running, really astounding. I've upgraded RAM, faster HDDs, GFX cards, etc... in the past but this was the single largest jump in computer quickness I've ever experienced. The spinning beachball of doom OSX is known for simply vanished, apps launched in a flash, if the computer ran out of physical RAM paging out to the SSD yielded no slowdowns. Running Windows XP through bootcamp is hilarious as the OS starts up and is ready to be used before the start up chime even plays. Hard disks are the largest speed bottleneck in modern computers, if you can deal with a smaller amount of space and have the extra money you'd be crazy to not buy an SSD for your machine, and Intel makes a great drive.
on May 26, 2012
I have used various SSD drives but have always been happiest with Intel. These drives are astonishingly fast, and also include the mounting bracket you'll need to adapt them to a 3.5" bay (consider that worth about $13 when you're bargain-shopping against cheaper brands).

Installation could not be easier: connect power and a SATA cable (ideally to a 6GB/sec port, and no, you don't need a special cable for 6GB/sec) and you're done. After you've installed your Operating System (you ARE buying this to be your boot drive, right?), visit Intel's website for their SSD Toolbox software. This will properly configure certain Windows features (like Superfetch, Prefetch, Defrag and Trim) to optimize your SSD's functionality and keep it running smoothly for you.

With Windows 7 64-bit and all its updates installed, plus Microsoft Office Home & Business, I have used only 35GB of my 60GB drive, leaving plenty of room for other software. (Note: if you do the same thing and end up with less spare room, research "hibernate mode" for one potential reason. Also, if you are going to have more than 8GB of RAM installed, your Windows pagefile may need to be bigger than mine and take more room also. In short, your mileage may vary, but for most people, this drive is plenty big as long as you have a large second drive on which to store files.)

I have a large 1TB hard-drive for bulk storage, and with my Intel motherboard (check my other reviews) I get boot times of around 18 seconds---very nice (your boot-time mileage may vary, mostly based on whether or not your motherboard enables you to disable most of the Power-On Self Test functions or not). Two of these striped into a RAID 0 configuration will give you double the storage and even better throughput; for the rest of us, one of these is enough to make us very happy!
53 helpful votes
54 helpful votes
77 comments|Report abuse
on April 25, 2014
The hard drive on my Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop crashed a little more than a year ago so I replaced it with this SSD.

I purchased the laptop July 2007 with:
* 2Gig memory (2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz)
* 160G 7200RPM SATA HDD
* Intel® Core(tm) 2 Duo T7300 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/4MB cache) processor.

The HDD had Win Vista but the great techies at work installed Win 7 for me on the SSD. The laptop was equipped for 64-bit OS so 64-bit Windows 7 was installed.

I have been using it now for a little over a year and it is great; I have had no issues with the drive or any of the software running on it. In fact, the improvement in speed loading from a cold boot is amazing - 7 seconds - and WiFi is connected nearly as soon as the desktop is displayed. The best improvement has been with Windows Updates. It used to take an extraordinary amount of resources and time but that is no longer an issue. Windows Updates download and install in about 1/4 of the time it used to. Anitvirus updates and scanning also has improved greatly. Also, the laptop doesn't run as hot as it used to. I only recently upgraded the memory to 4GB so the improvements were only due to SSD and Win 7. I don't think I'll ever use HDD again.

For those who may not be aware, due to differences in how data is written to a SSD vs. HDD, you are not supposed to delete files from a SSD using a shredder (one pass delete is sufficient) and you should not defragment the drive.
on July 16, 2014
Liked it while iit worked, but it failed months ago. Of course I didn't back up as religiously as I should've but the stuff lost was mostly expendable. In short I was very disappointed by its failure (of course no warning signs-you could run the drive checking or optimizing crap all day and it would never tell you of an impending crash) and would gladly throw it at someone who works at Intel for wasting my money. I should've bought Samsung like others advised, but now I hesitate with any SSD. If I replace it I will literally only install the OS and use it for web surfing. Note: If you use an SSD make sure you have multiple drives connected and ensure that your valued saves land on the HDD. SSD is great for what it does but when it fails the loss is personal and all the persuasion and reviews in the world won't recover your money or data unless some of the people rating it well decide to pool together and pay you for the failure of the drive they vouch for (putting their money where their mouth is). It will be my New Years mission to have people who give advice sign contracts forfeiting some amount of something they own if their advice proves to my detriment.
on January 29, 2016
This is more of a post-mortem review. I purchased this drive in May 2012 for a custom-built PC. It was very fast and worked very well. One of the reasons for purchase was the reliability of the brand, and the cost/speed ratio. It had a 3-year warranty.

In September of 2015 my PC started experiencing odd issues I could not track down. By November the problems led to an inoperable PC generating errors that could not be tracked down. Most were relating to memory, but all the tests I ran came back with my RAM being fine. After several

After removing the drive (and another system reinstall) the machine was fine. The drive was dead. Just a few months out of warranty. Ain't that just the way?
on May 14, 2012
Not sure why I waited, maybe I psyched myself out, thinking I wouldn't like it.

What I was afraid of:

-Having to rewipe and start over losing an entire evening in updates. (Reality: Took me under an hour to install, load OS, do all the Win7 updates and move folders over from old drive)
-I wouldn't notice that much of a difference. (Reality: Bootup time under 15s, browsing speed faster, loading of all my games about 20% faster)

Things I didn't expect:

-Processor/case temps dropped slightly.

I'm very pleased so far with this drive. I'm considering now getting another for my notebook where I feel I'd get better battery life and faster performance.
29 helpful votes
30 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon October 16, 2012
This is the second Intel SSD drive I've purchased in the last couple of years. I bought an X-25 80GB drive about a year and a half ago for my desktop computer. It made such a huge difference in performance. I'm close to maxing out the storage capacity of that drive, and now that prices have come down, I decided to get this 120GB drive. Still outstanding performance. Computer boots from power on to fill windows 7 operation in about 30 seconds, and all programs that sit on the drive boot up almost instantaneously. Installation of this drive was a piece of cake using Acronis True Image 2013. That program formatted the drive, and then I migrated by old SSD to this drive in about 10 minutes. Replaced the old one and fired up the computer with this drive no problems. Because I used Acronis, I cannot speak for the migration software that is offered by Intel.

I took my old 80GB SSD and installed it in my 8 year old Dell laptop, and now that computer has a new lease on life! I think anyone that wants to see a massive performance upgrade to their computer should swap out their windows boot drive for one of these gems.
3 helpful votes
on September 3, 2012
What can I say that hasn't been said about SSDs already? Yes, they are fast, yes they are quiet, and yes, boot times are super fast. I bought two of these, one for my Lenovo W510 laptop and one for my custom built desktop. Here are my honest thoughts about this SSD after 2 weeks of use.

Pros:
1. My desktop boot time is now 20 seconds, it used to be 2+ minutes. As this is my gaming computer, there are just too many utilities which start up with windows (logitech keyboard, razer mouse, MSI afterburner, etc).
2. Totally quiet. My old boot drive (WD Caviar Black 750GB) was pretty nice but loud as a coffee pot. As my case is the Cooler Master Haf-X (very quiet case) and my GPU is an Asus DCII GTX570, this HDD was by far the loudest thing in my system.
3. My laptop (Lenovo W510) is now loading MATLAB in just 8 seconds and Photoshop in 4 seconds. MS Office 2010 programs open in under 2 seconds. Load times on all my programming projects are far reduced, rendering times for my 3D graphs in MATLAB is also reduced (which is odd as only GPU and CPU are main things for MATLAB. I guess libraries are loading faster?).

Cons:
1. Could say price, but as I got 2 of these drives 180GB for $120 each (sale + rebate + cashback from discover card), I can't even say that.

Less technically people must note that 180GB really is around 168GB. Those who know that a Gigabyte is counted as 1000MB by HDD/SSD makers and 1024MB by your system, this different is natural. Also, there is a system reserve partition made by windows which eats into the space as well.

This is my first SSD. I wanted to wait until 2 or 3 iterations of Intel drives before I got one. I honestly do not think getting any other brand would work for me because I trust Intel the most. Overall an amazing product for both professional and gaming application.

Here is an image of the all important crystal disk benchmark: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B007P71JJM/
review image
on July 1, 2013
I was sceptical about buying an SSD. Especially after so many claims of their reliability issues popped up over the internet.

I bought the 330 as a christmas gift for myself, installed the OS on January the 26th 2013. As of July 1st the same year, I haven't had a single issue with the drive, considering my PC runs 24/7 for most of the time and I sometimes host servers for older video games. The OS boot time on Windows 7 64 bit is approximately 23 seconds. That said, my BIOS throws a CPU FAN error, my bad luck for using a low-rpm CPU, and I can't disable the alarm. That steals about 4 seconds out of the boot time. That said, before that CPU fan started causing problems. I'm sure that without some of my startup programs I could squeeze out a second or two more. Thing is, on my Western Digital hard drives (first WD1001FALS then WD1001FAEX) we're both way over 45 seconds after a few months.

Loading times improved dramatically for everything on the drive. For example my internet browser launches immediately. The system is a lot more responsive than it ever was on the previous HDD's. Now the fun part. I'm still on SATA2 (3Gbit/s). The 330 SSD's do get a bit faster on SATA3 (6Gbit/s) as I tested the drive on a different motherboard and benchmarks from AnandTech confirm that. They also confirm the degradation of NAND memory is not as big as it seems and the drives should last for many years.

In my opinion SSD's are the perfect drive for your OS, both Windows and Linux (crunchbang! 11 and Xubuntu 13.04 we're even more responsive) and even with the current prices are worth their money for what they do to your experience. No longer does the sound we know so well, especially loud on WD Black drives, inform you about the struggles of reading data from a spinning platter. Now with the solid states drives, silent, nearly instant, blazing fast magic.

I never ran into any trouble with the drive, it worked right off the bat. Intel SSD Toolbox works just fine as a utility tool for the 330. Makes it easy to schedule TRIM, likewise for checking for updates and firmware updates if needed. Overall I had absolutely no issues with the drive.

I just love it. It does what it suppose to, does it well and I'm satisfied.