Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 652 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 715 reviews
on May 16, 2012
I hadn't read anything by Joe Hill prior to reading Throttle. Truth be told, I don't know what he wrote here so I guess, technically, I still haven't really read Joe Hill.

I was looking for something to read for an hour after a long day and this fit perfectly.

Throttle was a fun, fast-paced read. Even though I should have known how it would end (there is no "twist," per se), it still caught me off guard. If you like a bit of family drama with your thriller you'll probably enjoy this short story. I give it 4 stars because, while it was good, there were a few moments (phrasings, words) when I thought, "Really? Did adults write this?" It wasn't enough to distract from the whole experience, but it was enough to detract a star none-the-less.
44 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2017
Not a bad little compilation between the two Kings. I see elements of both authors' styles in the yarn. Not sure if the biker ethic came more from senior or junior, but I suspect the former, given the emphasis on the old guard bikers and their 'Nam backstory. Liked it, and I'll watch for more from the duo.
As a sports fan, there are sometimes games that I simply have to see, even though I don't care anything about either of the contenders. (In those cases, it's always a sport I know and love, but "my" team just doesn't have a dog in the fight, or isn't in the fight at all.)

This fast paced, well written story, was just like that. Each of the characters was brought alive in a few spare words; the motivations of at least four of them were spelled out in greater detail and felt totally genuine to me, and the father/son relationship between two of the bikers gave me hints about the King/Hill relationship -- or did it?

Best of all, the action was non-stop, filled with suspense and spiced up with bits and pieces of the back story, very much like a radio announcer describing one of those games I was interested in but didn't really care which contender won or lost. A perfect story for my iPhone and a spare 25 minutes in the coffee shop. I was excited and happy, and not just because of the java!

***
Re-read this morning over java -- still seamless, still interesting.

Robert C. Ross
April 2012
revised March 2015
on May 15, 2016
Both Stephen King and Joe Hill are absolutely great writers, that start out pulling you into the story with them, this is another great read. I have read everything Joe Hill has written, and almost everything written by Stephen King, and they both keep you involved and never disappoint. Stop reading this and grab this story.
on July 2, 2017
This is a straightforward story. Quick and interesting for a short story. I've been thinking about reading Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill but figured I'd get a feel for his writing style by reading this. Like his father Stephen King, he is very detail orientated. Still on the fence about reading Heart Shaped Box.
on June 27, 2016
I enjoy both the writing styles of Joe Hill and Stephen King. They did a great job of marrying their styles into a gripping and entertaining story. From the first sentence, this story will grab on to you and not let go until the end. However, the only thing that bugged me was the route inconsistencies. I've driven through Show Low, AZ many a time and I can tell you for certain that Rts 40 and 6 do not run through Show Low. Both routes run East to West and don't even come close to them. I loved the story and the authors are great, but this once inconsistency bothered me. I'm still glad that I bought and read the story, and gladly recommend it to others!
on August 22, 2017
A short but very enjoyable read. I didn't know until I was reviewing this book before the purchase that Joe Hill is actually Stephen King's son. And so now I have another author to catch up on. I read The Fireman by Joe Hill. Excellent novel. Cheers!
on May 11, 2012
This short story is well-crafted in the clean style of King's other pieces of work, even if there is a slightly different feel to it, most likely from the input of his son, Joe Hill. Regardless, it reads and flows well.

This story is a salute to Richard Matheson's "Duel," with many of the same literary devices being used. In itself, it is a story of the "Tribe," a mostly aging motorcycle gang, and an anonymous truck driver. The Tribe had pulled into a diner parking lot after returning from a meth lab where things had gone pretty wrong, and the truck driver parked there may or may not have overheard what had transpired. After the Tribe ate, they got back on the road only to have the truck driver show up and start his assault on the gang.

No one in this story is a "good guy." The Tribe's members are criminals, and they have done some horrific things. There is conflict between the members themselves. And the truck driver is really only an arm with "Death Before Dishonor" tattooed on it, hanging out the open window.

The prose is crisp and direct, the action well-described. Characterization does not suffer as it sometimes does in other short stories.

I did have two issues with the story, one major and one minor. The minor one is a pet peeve of mine. A grenade pin really cannot be readily pulled out with a person's teeth. This is pure Hollywood. The major issue is the fact that a Peterbuilt truck can overtake large motorcycles. In "Duel," the car being driven was a Plymouth Valiant, so yes, it was conceivable that that story's Peterbuilt could do what it did. But in "Throttle," I am not sure any truck could really not only keep up, but track down powerful bikes. I realize that the truck had to be able to do this for the story to work, but it still bothered me.

Overall, I think this was a fine read, and a fitting salute to Matheson's short story. I recommend it.
on July 10, 2013
Believe it or not, I have never read anything by Stephen King or Joe Hill before. In hindsight, having competed this novella, that was a mistake. It turns out that they are father and son. Hill wanted to succeed as a writer without being in his father's shadow. This is a story about a biker gang and a meth deal gone bad. There's a fight, a dispute, a killing, and a chase scene. It was a really great story and well worth reading. It captures your attention from page one and gets better as the pages turn. The ending was not completely expected.
on June 30, 2017
The story is short, but the characters are fully there - certainly King's best ability. Yet the story is a brittle gem. Brittle and stunning. Tightly built, it deserves to be read.