Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

This is a very nice and lightweight cover that goes above and beyond what previous versions of Amazon-branded e-Ink Kindle covers have done: it is super-compact, lightweight, and holds the Paperwhite about as snug and secure as you can imagine - they have made this cover so that the Kindle fits into a recessed pocket in the cover for a snug fit that you won't have any fear of falling out (like the Kindle 1), the hinge wearing out over time and your Kindle dangling or falling out (like the Kindle 3 / Kindle Keyboard), or some type of fabric wearing out from use (like the Kindle Fire and the Kindle DX).

What is really neat is there is a sensor in the Paperwhite and the cover that allow the Kindle to know when the cover is closed and automatically puts it into sleep mode to conserve battery power - upon opening the flap to read, the Paperwhite automatically wakes up. I'll bet some of you have tried cocking your head at an angle and put your eye up to it to see when the Kindle hits sleep mode and / or wakes up as you close and open the cover (I did!).

I have used this for a little over a week now and it has been able to withstand the rigors of back and forth in my briefcase, numerous sessions of starting and stopping reading, and, unfortunately dropping it on its side twice - and it protected the Kindle like a champ.

It feels good in your hands and compliments the reading experience with your new Paperwhite. The outer cover is a basic leather that feels good and you can get it in a variety of styles - I got the regular black as my other Kindle readers have different colors and I wanted to be able to recognize it quickly from across the room as "mine" vs. another family members' Kindle.

Please note this holder only fits the Kindle Paperwhite and does not fit any other e-Ink Kindle as the dimensions are different.

As I type this review, the price of this cover in black is $39.99 which is a pretty good deal when you compare it to the pricing of the covers for other models of Kindle. I would highly recommend this one in the color of your choosing - you want to protect your investment, and my two drops already in one week show this was a good protection of that investment.

November 8, 2013 Update: I've been using this for over a year now and it is still holding up, and protecting my Paperwhite despite numerous airports, back and forth in my man bag, and several drops onto concrete.

October 2015 Update: After almost three years of consistent use, it is still in good shape. I did, however, upgrade to the new Paperwhite a month or so ago and got a new cover for it in a different color (different color in order to differentiate it from the previous model). I'd recommend this one still.
5150+ comments| 2,188 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2016
I recently traded in my much-used Kindle Keyboard for a Paperwhite. The upgrade has been an exceptional improvement. This case, however, I'm ambivalent about.

I owned the official Amazon case for the Kindle Keyboard, which was significantly less expensive and higher quality. This case, for the price, has left me a little wanting.

First, the positives. I love the color options. I ended up purchasing an Ink Blue cover. The photo makes the blue look a lot more rich and 'blue' than it really is. It is absolutely a flat, dark navy color. It has a nice hand-feel and the front and back are upholstered in the textured leather, with a brushed silver "Kindle" magnet along the clasp side. The inside has a soft felt material that looks nice and the hinge is very sturdy: I have no fear of ripping when wrapping it behind the Kindle while reading. The Kindle Paperwhite fits perfectly inside and the rubber top and bottom portion that hold it secure it snugly. I love the fact that it turns the Kindle on and off just by opening and closing the cover. It does add a decent amount of heft to the Kindle while on...some may find that a positive, others a negative.

Now the negatives. The lack of a band to secure the cover shut means that the front of the cover wobbles and shifts while I'm holding it or carrying it. The magnet isn't terribly strong, and even the slightest shifting of the front of the leather case causes the Kindle to turn on briefly underneath. That design wasn't very well-executed. For the money paid, I expect the front cover to stay perfectly secure while closed (like my old case did for less). Lastly, the sides are rubber (think of a bumper for an iPhone around the edge). I think this looks a little cheap, personally. The center-edge magnet also means the flaps at the top and bottom don't sit very flush when shut.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice enough and I'm nitpicking a bit, but at this price point, I believe nitpicking is justifiable when there are other options out there for way less. The bottom line is, this is a nice case...I just don't think it's any better than some of the third-party options that cost literally 75% less.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
0Comment| 197 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I am not an Amazon promoter - my Kindle Fire review was a 3 stars - but I've always preferred Amazon's official Kindle covers to 'third parties' when it came to Kindle readers because of their hard to match quality and the way they integrated with the Kindle they were tasked to cover and protect.

This Paperwhite cover is no exception. It's not as technologically sophisticated as the cover for the Kindle 3 (Keyboard) which seamlessly incorporated a pull-out reading light within the cover's body while drawing power from the Kindle itself but the quality is exquisite and it almost literally fits the Paperwhite like a glove.

There's not a lot to say about a 'cover' but here are some of its more notable features, starting with the positives.

- Magnet keeps it closed.
- Some built-in sensor will turn the Kindle on whenever you open the cover (neat).
- Textured surface guarantees a good grip when holding it.
- Flip cover design allows front cover to fold back for one-hand reading (nice).
- Light as a feather. Yes, it does add a little weight to the Paperwhite but only a little.
- With the cover on, the Kindle is significantly smaller, thinner than a paperback and lighter than most.
- Some of the better quality leather I've seen in a 'cover'.

And then, of course, it's the price - not exactly pocket change. Amazon's Kindle covers tend to be expensive but I always felt that it was money well spent for the protection, the added functionality and the stylish design.

And, one more thing. Once your Paperwhite sinks into its cover the two become practically one body which is what this design was intended to accomplish. It is certainly possible to separate them again but it's not quick or easy. This design fits my Kindle-using habits - I never removed the covers off the other Kindles except once on 'day one' just to see that it is possible to do so. If you believe that you are going to take your Kindle in and out of its cover than you should not consider this one.
3131 comments| 1,575 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2015
In contrast to the comments of some other reviewers, I find that this case fits the All-New Kindle Paperwhite 3G, 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Built-in Light, Free 3G + Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers perfectly and, although at first I noticed that it adds a small amount of weight to the Kindle, that difference in weight no longer bothers me. Also in contrast to the comments of some other reviewers, I find that closing the case does indeed put the Kindle to sleep such that the battery is not drained while the case remains closed. The case opens to a full 180 degrees, which allows it to fold against the back side of the Kindle, thus permitting me to hold the Kindle in one hand. In principle, this case would be useful for protecting the Kindle when I travel; however, in practice, I just use by Apple iPhone to read Kindle books when I'm not at home.
on April 3, 2017
My husband wanted a black one for his new Paperwhite so I gave him mine and bought this beautiful fuchsia one! I was always misplacing my black one, but this is so much easier for me to spot!

There are a lot of great features on this case. It closes magnetically. Opening it turns it on, and closing it turns it off. My Paperwhite is safe inside because the cover is strong and the Kindle fits securely inside the ridges on the edge of the case. In fact, it's so snugly inside that it takes some effort and persistence to remove it. It keeps it safe from breaking if it is dropped. I looked at the reviews on the PU leather ones and it seems many of them said their cases had started to peel. That will never happen with a genuine leather case! I like the texture on the leather because I know there's no danger of it slipping out of my hands even if I fell asleep while I was reading, which I never have, but just in case.

On top of all that, the price has come down by ten dollars since I bought the black one for $50.00 in a little over two years ago in December, 2014. I know from that experience that this one will also last a long time.
on October 3, 2012
I'd say that this is the best e-paper Kindle cover to date. I was somewhat disappointed with the cover for the Kindle touch, because it was smooth-textured, and tended to slip out of my grip, especially if I was carrying it under my arm. This edition has a textured surface, providing a more secure grip. The other deficiency of the Kindle Touch cover has also been addressed--this one has a magnetic closure, so it doesn't flop open accidentally. The overall design is similar to the Kindle Touch cover, with the Kindle snugly snapping into a plastic nest without any annoying straps to deal with, but it seems to be about 1/8" narrower, which makes it just small enough to fit into the back pocket of my jeans. Another thing that I disliked about the Kindle Touch cover was that gentle pressure on the cover could activate the Home button if I failed to hit the sleep button before closing the cover, so that I then had to reselect my book to resume reading. The new Kindle design and cover obviate that issue. Closing the cover automatically sleeps the Kindle, and opening the cover wakes it up (although you have to swipe the screen to unlock it), so there's no longer any need to fumble with that little button when you want to put your Kindle away in a hurry--just close the cover and you're done. I know it's expensive, but in my opinion it's worth it; I feel like Amazon has finally gotten it right.
on April 7, 2017
The price made me double think buying it but I did anyway. I'm glad I did. The cover isn't bulky at all. The cover folds back easily while reading, and 4 months in does not show any creasing or wear for it. There's also the additional bonus of the screen going into and coming out of sleep mode when you close and open it.

It got the fushcia/magenta one and the product is true to color. The leather itself also feels quality and not cheap. No color bleeding either btw, it got wet in my bag one from the rain and kept my kindle dry and safe with no damage to the cover itself.

Yes the price is a bit much but I have no regret for my purchase at all.
on April 26, 2017
This particular leather cover is probably the Best Buy for the money! Ok, it's not Top Grain and therefore no fresh smell of leather. But thinking of what you are covering, an inexpensive reader that's not even in color, it's all you need. It fits perfectly the Paperwhite, at least the latest version, andI am sure most, if not all, of the latest versions of the Paperwhite. It has a good sturdy feel, similar to a Morroco leather, is very sturdy and has, in the constant time I have had it and hard use I have given it, is the perfect cover for the money. It is also extremely rain proof. Note I said rain proof rather than waterproof and I believe the dark blue is dark enough to look black at times at night and blue when extreme light-- and virtually ads perfect blue not to shout itself as I am a Kindle, steal me when you can", thankfully.
on February 29, 2016
Sure, everyone has heard about the good fit and appearance of the cover.
I'll just add two recent incidents due to my clumsiness trying to hold a lot of things..

Recently I got a new laptop and didn't carry it properly with a bag, so I was carrying laptop and kindle and other stuff in my hands.
The first incident was, the kindle was in my sweatshirt pocket and it fell out.
It dropped and bounced on the rough asphalt.
Result? Badly scraped cover and a tiny nick on my Kindle. Without cover, it'd certainly be destroyed.

The second incident was.. today. Again, the kindle slipped off my hands when I was holding my laptop.
It bounced hard right at the corner on the asphalt, twice even, so two of the corners has really bad scrapes now.
The cover slightly flapped open but immediately closed again.
Result? Kindle not harmed a single bit.

Expensive for $40? Sure. It took me three years owning this cover and multiple kindles, but it served it purpose really well.
You can't appreciate some protection until the incident occurs.
review image
This si a great case that provides excellent protection. I was expecting a case that you put the kindle in a sort of "envelope" sort of design and then put the flap behind the device. It is not that way at all. The case is designed so that the kindle fits into the back cover of the case. For those wishing to be able to remove the device on a regular basic easily, this is not the case for you. However, I have found it to be a great case. Because of the way it fits into the case, the back, and most importantly, corners are all protected with an extra 1/4 inch of case material. The cover has a magnet that turns the kindle off and on when opened. It adds very little to the size of the device. In fact, i would venture to say that if you are looking for a case that will not add to the size of the device, you can not do better than this one. Lastly, from a protection standpoint, I am not sure how much if this is due to the general toughness of the device or the quality of the case but I have dropped the device at least 20 times from a sitting position onto a wood floor and it is undamaged. I tend to sit on the edge of my bed and read and fall asleep and drop the device. I sore I would stop this behavior when i got the Kindle but old habits die hard. The bottom line is that, I have dropped the device a number of times and it is fine. Alos, the case itself seems to be very durable. I have had it over a month and despite the aforementioned incidents, it still appears as if it is new. In closing, If you are looking for a form fitting case and do not need to remove it from the case very often, this is a great case.