Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 18,758 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 19,920 reviews
This is a very nice and lightweight cover that goes above and beyond what previous versions of Amazon-branded e-Ink Kindle covers have done: it is super-compact, lightweight, and holds the Paperwhite about as snug and secure as you can imagine - they have made this cover so that the Kindle fits into a recessed pocket in the cover for a snug fit that you won't have any fear of falling out (like the Kindle 1), the hinge wearing out over time and your Kindle dangling or falling out (like the Kindle 3 / Kindle Keyboard), or some type of fabric wearing out from use (like the Kindle Fire and the Kindle DX).

What is really neat is there is a sensor in the Paperwhite and the cover that allow the Kindle to know when the cover is closed and automatically puts it into sleep mode to conserve battery power - upon opening the flap to read, the Paperwhite automatically wakes up. I'll bet some of you have tried cocking your head at an angle and put your eye up to it to see when the Kindle hits sleep mode and / or wakes up as you close and open the cover (I did!).

I have used this for a little over a week now and it has been able to withstand the rigors of back and forth in my briefcase, numerous sessions of starting and stopping reading, and, unfortunately dropping it on its side twice - and it protected the Kindle like a champ.

It feels good in your hands and compliments the reading experience with your new Paperwhite. The outer cover is a basic leather that feels good and you can get it in a variety of styles - I got the regular black as my other Kindle readers have different colors and I wanted to be able to recognize it quickly from across the room as "mine" vs. another family members' Kindle.

Please note this holder only fits the Kindle Paperwhite and does not fit any other e-Ink Kindle as the dimensions are different.

As I type this review, the price of this cover in black is $39.99 which is a pretty good deal when you compare it to the pricing of the covers for other models of Kindle. I would highly recommend this one in the color of your choosing - you want to protect your investment, and my two drops already in one week show this was a good protection of that investment.

November 8, 2013 Update: I've been using this for over a year now and it is still holding up, and protecting my Paperwhite despite numerous airports, back and forth in my man bag, and several drops onto concrete.

October 2015 Update: After almost three years of consistent use, it is still in good shape. I did, however, upgrade to the new Paperwhite a month or so ago and got a new cover for it in a different color (different color in order to differentiate it from the previous model). I'd recommend this one still.
5150+ comments| 2,157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2016
I recently traded in my much-used Kindle Keyboard for a Paperwhite. The upgrade has been an exceptional improvement. This case, however, I'm ambivalent about.

I owned the official Amazon case for the Kindle Keyboard, which was significantly less expensive and higher quality. This case, for the price, has left me a little wanting.

First, the positives. I love the color options. I ended up purchasing an Ink Blue cover. The photo makes the blue look a lot more rich and 'blue' than it really is. It is absolutely a flat, dark navy color. It has a nice hand-feel and the front and back are upholstered in the textured leather, with a brushed silver "Kindle" magnet along the clasp side. The inside has a soft felt material that looks nice and the hinge is very sturdy: I have no fear of ripping when wrapping it behind the Kindle while reading. The Kindle Paperwhite fits perfectly inside and the rubber top and bottom portion that hold it secure it snugly. I love the fact that it turns the Kindle on and off just by opening and closing the cover. It does add a decent amount of heft to the Kindle while on...some may find that a positive, others a negative.

Now the negatives. The lack of a band to secure the cover shut means that the front of the cover wobbles and shifts while I'm holding it or carrying it. The magnet isn't terribly strong, and even the slightest shifting of the front of the leather case causes the Kindle to turn on briefly underneath. That design wasn't very well-executed. For the money paid, I expect the front cover to stay perfectly secure while closed (like my old case did for less). Lastly, the sides are rubber (think of a bumper for an iPhone around the edge). I think this looks a little cheap, personally. The center-edge magnet also means the flaps at the top and bottom don't sit very flush when shut.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice enough and I'm nitpicking a bit, but at this price point, I believe nitpicking is justifiable when there are other options out there for way less. The bottom line is, this is a nice case...I just don't think it's any better than some of the third-party options that cost literally 75% less.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
0Comment| 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 29, 2016
Sure, everyone has heard about the good fit and appearance of the cover.
I'll just add two recent incidents due to my clumsiness trying to hold a lot of things..

Recently I got a new laptop and didn't carry it properly with a bag, so I was carrying laptop and kindle and other stuff in my hands.
The first incident was, the kindle was in my sweatshirt pocket and it fell out.
It dropped and bounced on the rough asphalt.
Result? Badly scraped cover and a tiny nick on my Kindle. Without cover, it'd certainly be destroyed.

The second incident was.. today. Again, the kindle slipped off my hands when I was holding my laptop.
It bounced hard right at the corner on the asphalt, twice even, so two of the corners has really bad scrapes now.
The cover slightly flapped open but immediately closed again.
Result? Kindle not harmed a single bit.

Expensive for $40? Sure. It took me three years owning this cover and multiple kindles, but it served it purpose really well.
You can't appreciate some protection until the incident occurs.
review image
I am not an Amazon promoter - my Kindle Fire review was a 3 stars - but I've always preferred Amazon's official Kindle covers to 'third parties' when it came to Kindle readers because of their hard to match quality and the way they integrated with the Kindle they were tasked to cover and protect.

This Paperwhite cover is no exception. It's not as technologically sophisticated as the cover for the Kindle 3 (Keyboard) which seamlessly incorporated a pull-out reading light within the cover's body while drawing power from the Kindle itself but the quality is exquisite and it almost literally fits the Paperwhite like a glove.

There's not a lot to say about a 'cover' but here are some of its more notable features, starting with the positives.

- Magnet keeps it closed.
- Some built-in sensor will turn the Kindle on whenever you open the cover (neat).
- Textured surface guarantees a good grip when holding it.
- Flip cover design allows front cover to fold back for one-hand reading (nice).
- Light as a feather. Yes, it does add a little weight to the Paperwhite but only a little.
- With the cover on, the Kindle is significantly smaller, thinner than a paperback and lighter than most.
- Some of the better quality leather I've seen in a 'cover'.

And then, of course, it's the price - not exactly pocket change. Amazon's Kindle covers tend to be expensive but I always felt that it was money well spent for the protection, the added functionality and the stylish design.

And, one more thing. Once your Paperwhite sinks into its cover the two become practically one body which is what this design was intended to accomplish. It is certainly possible to separate them again but it's not quick or easy. This design fits my Kindle-using habits - I never removed the covers off the other Kindles except once on 'day one' just to see that it is possible to do so. If you believe that you are going to take your Kindle in and out of its cover than you should not consider this one.
3131 comments| 1,567 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2016
Just received this Kindle Papewhite Case a few minutes ago and already have found a couple of cons. First let me tell you what I like about it. The case is a pretty orange which I like. I wanted a bright color so it would be easier to find--my old black one was hard to find if it was in a dark area. I like the way my Paperwhite fits into the case--was easy to install but it feels as if it is pretty snug and won't fall out. The feel was light and easy to hold. The open and shut operation was easy and my Kindle turned on each time I opened the case. Can't tell about weather it shuts off or not since I can't see any light to let me know.

The cons:

1. First of all, I do a lot of reading at a table and with my old one I could easily prop my Kindle upright using the flip cover--it bent back and made a stand. This new one will not do that. The metal claps on the cover causes the flip cover to slide and makes the Kindle fall down--flat. I am going to have to figure out a way to prop it up whenever I read it.

2. The second problem for me is that it has no place to store your stylus--so that they are kept together at all times. Now I don't use my stylus to turn the pages but I do use it when ever I have to use the keyboard. The letters on the keyboard is too small for my large fingers and I usually accidentally touch the wrong letter. The stylus is just right to use for typing. The photo below will show you how I stored my stylus with my old case.

3. The last con is the price. I don't think it was worth the almost $40 I paid for it. I got a promotion discount and it was still expensive--about $35 with the promotion. If I had it all over to do again I would not have bought this case for the reasons I just mentioned and mainly because I feel that there has to be cases out there that is just as good as this one is but for less money. Don't get me wrong, it is a good case, it just does not have the benefits that I am use to having. If you don't need to keep a stylus with your case, and if you don't mind your Kindle not having the ability to stand up, and if money is not a problem for you, then this is a good case to get.
review image
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 18, 2012
I bought the Saddle Tan leather cover - the pebble textured finish is flawless!

In bright lighting/sunlight, the Saddle Tan leather cover appears more a 'dull orange' but in soft white light/low light conditions it appears more 'yellow brown'.

SEE MY PHOTOS IN CUSTOMER IMAGES

NOTE: The Kindle Paperwhite fits snugly in the leather cover's 'form fitting interior'. It's a really snug fit! It's great knowing that my kindle is secure ... but, this snug fit makes it too difficult to take out and put back in easily. So, if you sometimes like removing your Kindle cover for reading, then I recommend you choose a cover that secures the Kindle with easy to remove and replace straps.

I like being able to fold back the leather cover for reading with one hand ... and the cover's woven nylon fabric inner lining has a nice feel.

WHAT I LIKE MOST ABOUT THE KINDLE PAPERWHITE LEATHER COVER?
The magnetic clasp keeps the cover securely closed without the need for straps. I simply flip open the cover to start reading on my Kindle. When I am finished, I just have to close the cover and my kindle goes to sleep. Now that's user-friendly!

I agree that this leather cover is overpriced. However, it complements the Kindle Paperwhite in both looks and functionality.

Hope my review and photos were helpful ...
Jeffrey A. (Jeff)
review image review image review image review image
66 comments| 331 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2014
I love it. Not much else to say really...but for the sake of being somewhat useful to you, I'll try to give some reasons. I was going to cheap out and buy some of the other cool looking 3rd party covers, but this was only $5-$8 more than the others I liked. I chose this over others because:

1- No straps, the Kindle Paperwhite just snaps in and stays in.
2- Autosleep, closing and opening the case automatically puts the Kindle to sleep/wakes it up. Other cases did not offer this. Note: if you have the Kindle with commercials, it wakes up to an advertisement. If you have the ad-free version, it awakes to where you left off.
3- Leather, I love the look and feel of it.

These 3 pros were worth the additional $5 or so over the competition. I had a hard time choosing between colors, but finally decided on the ink blue. I'm glad I did. I love how it looks. I posted some pictures in the gallery that I think do a better job of accurately conveying the color than other images I've seen. It seems like it would do a great job protecting my device...I haven't dropped it yet and don't plan on doing so for the sole sake of writing a more complete review. If I do drop it at anytime in the future, I'll be sure to update you.
review image review image review image
0Comment| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 2, 2012
A few days ago I posted a review of the Paperwhite cover -- one in which I complained about the stiffness of the spine and the bump caused by the magnet, keeping the front cover from folding flat against the back when it's open. I received two covers that both had those same problems, but people in the Kindle forum posted such positive things about their covers, I decided to try again. The third time was definitely the charm. The saddle tan cover I received today has a fully flexible spine and the cover folds flat against the back. The magnet reaches just enough past the back cover to keep it from bumping the cover outward. The color is rich, the feel of the leather is good, and I've removed the review where I pointed out the failings of the first two covers. If you encounter the problems I did with my early orders, do what I did: try again. It really paid off.
review image review image
1313 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2013
I LOVE this case!!! It's the most gorgeous orange ever. It's compact, and neat. The Kindle Paperwhite fit perfectly in it. Could not be happier.
on December 3, 2016
I was on the fence about spending $40 on a leather cover until I spent time researching my options. I wanted one that I could fold back to use that wouldn't crack in a few months. The textured leather is beautiful and the case is well made. My Kindle fits nicely and seems very secure.
Pros - This provides protection from scratches. Beautiful leather looks professional. Will travel well in my handbag. Relatively light weight. Cover doesn't interfere with the charging port and button
Cons - just the price
As an online shopper I rely heavily on reviews left by others when trying to decide what to buy so I try to leave useful reviews for those products I feel strongly about. Please let me know if you find my review helpful. Thanks so much.