Customer Reviews: IRIS Nesting Airtight Pet Food Container
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Elvis Presley Shop Cycling on Amazon

Size: 12-Quart|Change

on May 30, 2012
I purchased two of these storage containers as they were advertised as "airtight". Sadly, they were not. They seemed well made and would have worked perfectly had they been airtight.
Forgive my lack of technical terms, but I'll do my best to describe the issue with these containers. The closing mechanism at the front functioned properly and the seal around the lid appeared to be well made. However, the "hinges" along the back edge were not made well enough to achieve a snug fit. They were plastic, which was fine, except the plastic "pin" was not long enough to fit securely into the hole on each side of the hinge. When closing the lid against the airtight foam seal the pressure applied to the "pin" area would cause the pin to slip out of the hole...thus allowing a gap along the rear edge of the container. These "holes" did not seem to be broken or cracked in anyway.
If you are NOT needing an airtight container, these are nice containers. But if you require airtight, I would opt for something else.
55 comments| 159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2015
I use IRIS Products and this is not what I was expecting. As other reviewers have stated, the quality is not there and this is NOT airtight, because the plastic hinge towards the back is flimsy and does not snap firmly into place. This will be going back.
review image review image
on April 16, 2013
First let me say that I own four different IRIS containers, plus many more over the years. None of these have broken, all have done their job to keep your pet food, or whatever you are trying to protect, from moisture, bugs, your animal tearing into their food bag, whatever your reason is. If you are wondering why I have owned several over the years and yet none have malfunctioned, they were sold due to large moves (military move from Japan to Texas for example) or because I needed a larger/smaller size. I bought this, the 10 pound size to store my rice in. We buy large bags of sushi rice and needed something that you could easily scoop out of, plus the black lid matches my kitchen decor. I am on here today, buying another one of these, to store my outside bird feed in. If you've never had an IRIS container, it can be a little tricky at first to get that hinge set up correctly, I am assuming this is why another reviewer said his broke after several uses. You have to get that hinge installed correctly or else it will either pop out everytime you open it and I assume, break after a while. I don't know what else to say other than these are perfect containers. They have various sizes, some with casters (which I own for my dog food) some smaller ones for smaller pets. We also have 2 of the same size for our cat and ferret food. All of my pet food is stored in the garage. We have had absolutely no issues with bugs, moisture, nothing! Your food will stay fresh in these containers and its always nice not waking up to a cat or dog having chew through their bag at night!
on December 17, 2013
I bake a lot of bread at home and buy my flour in 50 pound sacks. I store it in the pantry and it is a bit of a chore to schlep it out to the kitchen. I found myself taking the pan/bowl to the pantry and measuring the flour out there. This works perfectly for my purposes. I can just roll it into the kitchen and measure the flour out easily with no mess/spillage. Additionally, a 25 pound sack of rice shares the container. It can be a bit tight, but not really an issue.
One review mentioned a wheel broke off when the wheel mount failed. In my case, I am sure not to lean on on the container whilst rolling it around, it has a metric boatload of weight in it, and so far, so good.
on July 10, 2016
In the great war between man vs. cat, there is and almost always must be an escalation of arms. The cats, our clever foes, consistently think of new ways to utilize their fantastic natural endowments to irritate humanity to ever-reaching heights. Man must strike back. We lack the stealth, patience, razor sharp claws, night vision and supreme agility to overcome the cats in a standoff of direct physical confrontation... but unbeknownst to the cats, we DO outwit them in our cunning.

By extracting the compressed, liquefied remains of our ancestors and refining them, we produce a cheap-yet-durable material that we have dubbed "plastic." It can be made both rigid and soft, and it's appearance and form are eminently and easily configurable. It is also impenetrable by domestic cat claws. Little is more infuriating than returning home from work and finding a gruesome scene - crumbs and kibble strewn about the kitchen, gushing from a certainly-doomed cat food bag whimpering in the corner.

Now you'll have to get a broom, sweep it all up, put it in the trash bag, and depending on what floor and how much cat food was lost, maybe even spring for some more cat food. Those jerks! Someone had a dream, though. They said, "That’s right, you know why, because we don’t have time for a city hall debate. I don’t want to hear the “man was not meant to meddle” medley. I see a suit of armor around the cat food." They got their top men on it, and before too long their work was complete. Escalation. A glimmer of hope in the unending war. A stop to the cat-food-shed of hundreds of thousands of cat food bags. Their grand design?

The 10-pound IRIS Airtight Pet Food container. Easy to open, easy to close, with a nice little foam seal around the edge. Best of all? Transparent. It TAUNTS your cats to fruitlessly attack it's three millimeter thick armor. Their claws are useless against it. TERRITORIES ARE HELD, and cat food (and money) is saved making YOUR LIFE BETTER.

So buy this. It's boxy, too, which looks nice.
on January 14, 2016
Holds 50lbs of dry dog food and a scooper and a couple of small bowls. Arrived right on time in perfect condition. Wheels were packed inside and attach easy. Looks like it should keep the dog food fresh. It has an inner seal around the lid and a the latch will keep it closed.
review image review image
on January 8, 2015
The 25 lb container is the perfect size for larger bags of pet food that can be easily lifted and poured in. It is easy to roll around from different locations in your house or garage without having to carry the entire container. I have one for both our dog and cat food. I've had these for three months now and the flip top handle hasn't broken or cracked even with opening and closing at least two times per day.

I live on a farm with lots of rodents and creatures always roaming around outside. I have these stored in the garage and haven't had any issues with rodents or insects (ants) getting into the container like I've had with previous pet food containers I've purchased. The seal is very tight, keeps the food fresh and bugs out. Other reviewers have reported issues with the seal and if it wasn't tight I KNOW I would have experienced an ant invasion in the containers by now.
on July 8, 2016
This "airtight" food container is a load of crap. I bought it to keep ants out of our dogs food and this morning there were ants inside it and in the seam of the container where it's supposed to be "Airtight" . The seam around the container is just foam. It's complete bulls***.
review image review image review image
on July 15, 2012
We switched to a better quality dog food, but with that comes the fact that there are no preservatives, so safely storing the food becomes an issue. We decided to try these containers because they claim to be airtight. I am not a scientist so I can't verify if that is correct or not, but it seems to be working.
on September 18, 2015
This is, overall, an extremely adequate pet food container. It fits the contents of a ten pound bag with a little room left to spare. When I received mine, the lid's hinges needed to be snapped into place, which initially made me a little wary, but show no signs of wear/breaking after installation.

I would question the "airtight" qualifier that this pet food container advertises. I do not see this being airtight/watertight/or even pettight. If you have a smart animal, I could easily imagine your dog or cat figuring out how to press up on the latching mechanism and lifting the lid for a little late night snack. The latch itself does not close tightly, and only needs a slight amount of pressure to disengage. Just something to consider...

All in all, I think that this is a great option for anyone looking to purchase a pet food container for their smaller pet. Most likely a cat or small house dog; because ten pounds of food really isn't all that much. I would recommend that you also keep this behind a closed door just in case your furry friend wises up and figures out how to access the all you can eat buffet!
review image