Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Doppler $139.99 All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis dm3 Shop Now toystl17_gno_dm3

Showing 1-10 of 196 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 229 reviews
on February 9, 2017
The Last Jew of Treblinka: A Memoir was written by Chil Rajchman. It is the chilling tale of the death camp Treblinka by one of the very few who survived. His memoir was mainly written in hiding in Warsaw before the Soviets took it over. It contains some of the best descriptions of the Nazi program of extermination. His very deliberate method of relating what happened to him is quite chilling. Although he doesn’t deliberately make it emotional, you can’t help but get the emotions he is feeling at any time.
Chil does not tell anything about his past prior to being in Treblinka. Through other sources we find he was born in Lodz on June 14, 1914. In 1939, he and one sister fled as the Germans approached. He and his sister were captured near Lublin and deported to Treblinka. Here he immediately lost his sister while he was chosen among the one hundred men needed to run the camp. Later, he finds his sister’s dress.
The book is neither long nor difficult to read; but it takes longer to read it than some other memoirs. This is due to his deliberate matter of fact writing that tells so much emotion between the lines. Of the many Holocaust memoirs I have read, this has to be one of the most chilling. What we know of Treblinka comes only through a very small number of survivors.
on March 22, 2017
This review will be short for what I have read in the course of two days has me experiencing many emotions—Sadness, anger and relief.

I experienced sadness for all the lives lost. Anger for the atrocities done. Relief for the freedom of one man.

At first as I began reading I cried and grew mad with God. Then I was astonished by what these prisoners endured and slave-labored through. Lastly, I read the last remaining chapters almost in a numb state. I felt no sadness or anger. As if the torture that became a norm for these prisoners placed me in a trance like state. I just read the words, took in the horrific scenes developing in my mind to its final conclusion.

Should one recommend such a book? Should one be exposed to the horrors that await the reader in this book? I do not know if I would say I’d recommend it. But I will say it is necessary to be acquainted with the past of history and the bloodiness that saturates it in order to understand the plight of Jewish survivors and any survivor who lived through the nightmare to tell the tale.

May all those who perished find rest in God. May those who remain look forward to the sweet rest of God once they leave the land of the living. Amen.
on November 3, 2016
I have read a lot of books regarding the Holocaust and I found this book to be excellent. I had not heard that much about Treblinka so I was anxious to read Mr. Rajchman's account of his time spent there. It is a very powerful book about the horrible things that were done to the prisoners and the horrible things that they forced the prisoners to do as workers. This was not a very lengthy book but I felt it was well written. Yes, there were some typos but it is obvious that English was not his first language and I certainly can overlook them since I felt the book was really good.
on May 6, 2017
This is one man's memoir of his time in Treblinka. He with his young sister were one of thousands of people taken by cattle cars to be systematically killed. His sister was taken to a gas chamber immediately. He ended up being used by the Germans along with other Jewish men to get whatever money, precious metals, cut the hair off of women before they entered the gas chambers, burn the bodies because the German's hoped not to be found to be evil, but because of these reports from people forced to do their bidding, being beaten regularly, not fed much, in a filthy environment with lack also of adequate water, they were the voices to attest to this evil. It did happen. Humans did this to other humans. This story came out years later. He eventually went to live in a country in South America and had three sons. His memoir was needed to add to the voices speaking up about this evil. We must remember, otherwise we could end up repeating it. I had family that ended up in concentration camps and were murdered. I don't want this ever to happen again.
on May 22, 2016
Great book, but one so troubling. It is almost unbelievable. For we who live in freedom and without persecution and genocide, one must wonder and search the soul to comprehend how one group could starve, beat, torture, murder and desecrate any other group of people. But eye witnesses and history accurately recorded Hitler's hate for the Jews and the lengths to which he and his Nazi henchmen went to eliminate innocent Jewish men and women in the 20th century. May those innocent and persecuted victims be rewarded, compensated and uplifted in the world beyond; may those who murdered these innocents, in the light of Christian knowledge and teachings, feel the Jews pain, suffering, and mental anguish in hell for a thousand years.
Everyone should read the stories of the Jewish Holocaust; especially those of us who are Christians. It must never happen again.
on January 21, 2014
Anyone who is interested in the holocaust has seen the movies about these camps . Even the most in depth ones touches the subject rather lightly. This book is for the person who wants to actually learn about the horrors of WWII. What the Germans and their minions did to these people is darker than any nightmare. This book is the actual account of one survivor from the extermination camp named Treblinka. I am 60 + years old for me the difference between the extermination camp and concentration camp had never really sunk in. The author shows to what depths a person will go just to survive. He escaped this place to tell his story. I am so glad he did otherwise none of us could have ever learned the true story of this Hell on earth. If books haunts you in your sleep do not read it. Some will probably start reading it and cannot finish. This is only one account from the numerous extermination camps. Many of those camp had no survivors so those stories are lost forever.
on June 16, 2017
I have read every review of this book, and agree completely with their universal sorrow and outrage at the horrors inflicted on those poor people. As much as I despise those who who treated them so mercilessly and so brutally, I must confess that my most powerful regret is that any human person could become so dehumanized. I would rather be one of those tortured and murdered than be one of those torturers and murderers. I can't imagine anyone would disagree with me on this.
on December 23, 2016
The Last Jew of Treblinka, while a surprisingly quick read having finished the book in two evenings, it is very eye opening. I have read many articles, have watched many documentaries, and have visited several holocaust museums, but what this book contains is a perspective I had not encountered previously. Mr. Rajchman covers in detail the inner-workings of the Treblinka extermination camp. Page after page was heart-wrenching, and seemed more and more unbelievable. I encourage if you are slightly interested in learning and understanding more about the holocaust, to purchase this book.
on March 31, 2017
This is an account by an inmate at the Treblinka death camp of life there and his participation in the uprising that led to the closing and destruction of the camp. It is short, but moving and disturbing in that it describes things that supposedly educated and civilized people did to their fellow human beings.
on March 21, 2017
I have read several notable personal accounts of Holocaust survivors. This account is one of the few that is so raw and real. I can not fathom the emotional turmoil that was suffered during this time and the deeper turmoil for those that survived. I hope that one day mankind will love one another and never want to hurt each other both physical and emotional. Until that day comes we need to remember our barbaric history and teach of it so that we don't forget and repeat it.