Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by Tim and Faith Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 7, 2012
I've been searching for a good quality, thin down pillow for my wife and I who are stomach sleepers and find most pillows much too thick. I first tried the Pacific Coast Feather "Down Around" pillows, but I woke up with headaches. When I found these pillows, I thought they might be the ones. I first ordered the "soft" version. It was literally as if the company accidentally shipped the liner without the fill. The soft version is paper thin and literally useless. You may as well have no pillow at all.

I quickly returned the soft pillow and ordered the medium. It is also quite thin, but by doubling it you get the impression that yes, there is a bit of pillow under there somewhere. The pillow is very soft and comfortable, and seems to be made of quality materials. However, it is still pretty thin. I'm tempted to try the firm version (ironic, in my quest for a soft pillow), but I suspect these pillows aren't the greatest value. The medium version which sold for $45 only ten months ago now costs $70. If you don't mind bunching all four corners of your pillow toward the middle to get a bit of thickness, the medium pillow might work for you. If you look on eBay you will find many of these pillows for sale that have been returned to the place of purchase, and most of them are the soft density. I would definitely skip the soft and start with medium or even firm density.
16 helpful votes
17 helpful votes
on July 29, 2013
I know you are supposed to change out pillows sooner than 4 years. But this was the most comfortable pillow I have ever had. Given we sleep a third of our lives...I have been in constant contact with this pillow for at least 1 entire year. I changed out the pillow for hygienic maintenance reasons, and nothing about the pillow. the new one fluffed right up. This is down, and it is the kind your head sinks down in to and you need to mush it up around your head for perfect support. if you are the kind that likes an unyielding styrofoam motel pillow...this is not for you. Ill probably switch out a bit sooner this time...but still get the same pillow...which seems to be of the same quality as it was 4 years ago...

I have some chronic cervical issues, so a good pillow is really important. Those hyper inflated hotel pillows are useless, and I am forced to use towels...that are less than satisfactory. I don't know what some of the reviewers are expecting, but some of us are hoping for a pillow that has loft when left alone, and can be scrunched to whatever desired position is necessary. With one of those allergy covers, and a slip cover, this measure 9" in thickness. Then, as the head is applied, it settles down. If it settles too much, you just scrunch it up to adjust the thickness.

My guess is that the small one is a surprise for someone expecting more of a standard size, and the large might be stuffed too much. Another great benefit of Amazon Prime. I wouldn't discount the pillow unless you are sure you have the right size.

Its made in the USA, but I have no idea if the down is from massaged free range ducks or not.
3 helpful votes
Enthusiast: Petson August 11, 2015
This is s fantastic pillow. However, being a side sleeper with neck issues, I find it is stuffed with too much fill. Don't get me wrong, this is a heavenly pillow. Add for me, I wish it had less fill. Maybe, one day, I'll open the pillow cover, and remove some of the fill. A zipper would be a great addition so people could remove fill to make the pillow softer. I am a pillow scruncher, and cannot scrunch this pillow. In the morning, there is barely an indentation where I had laid my head. I think this would be great for back sleepers. I believe it is too firm for stomach sleepers. And, if you're a side sleeper, like me, with neck issues, you may find this pillow too firm.
on August 17, 2015
I love this pillow's loft. It is very plump and more substantial than the soft down pillows I have been using. I notice no odor at all.
The only negative is the cover. It comes with a well made zip off pillow protector. Unfortunately the pillow protector is so thick and sturdy it detracts from the softness of the down. I removed it. The actual covering of the pillow is also made of a stiff material. It's almost as if you have this lovely down filling wrapped in crunchy paper. I'm am hoping it will soften with use.
As far as the pillow filling goes it is definitely more fill than the soft pillows I've purchased in the past. I always use two of them at a time. With this pillow I only need one.
Pillow preference is very subjective but I would agree that this pillow falls in the medium category, neither soft or firm.
on July 28, 2012
My observation is that the people that wrote low scoring reviews really didn't understand the point of this pillow. This (the soft density) option is meant for back and belly sleepers. The point is not to have a lot of filling, hence "soft density". The pillow I received is exactly as it should be. The loft is great, it is pliable, and soft enough for stomach sleepers. If you are a side sleeper or like a lot of pillow support, this is not for you, nor is it meant to be. Know what you need. I have two more notes: for me, it works for side sleeping as well. I would say that I am the odd lady out, though, and that it wouldn't work for most side sleepers. It also has a tiny minute smell to start, but that is normal for anything new that has been packaged in plastic. It dissipates.
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
on February 1, 2013
I asked for and received a firm and medium pinzon pyrenees pillow for Christmas. I was glad to get both from the in-laws and tried both. I really like the firm pillow because I'm a side sleeper it is just the most comfortable. My wife also tried both and decided on the firm. Fast forward a month and I purchased the firm for my wife...what I received was the same height and most likely fill as the medium density I had received as a gift. I promptly put in for an exchange. The one I received said firm on the packaging and tag but it was like my medium I received for Christmas. Amazon promptly shipped another pillow which I received 2 days later. Arg the same size as the medium fill and obviously not a firm pillow. I measured both pillows on a flat surface the firm I received for Christmas stood 9" tall, both "firms" I ordered stood around 6.5" tall which is same as my medium density I received for Christmas. Perhaps since the mother in law ordered a medium and firm at the same they had to make sure that I got a firm and medium. Who knows I just know that the 2 firms I ordered and returned are not the same fill as the one I received as a gift. We'll have to purchase a firm at a brick and mortar to make sure it's firm now.

I give the one I received 5 stars because it is great. The one star is for the fake firm. At a 25buck premium over the medium these need to be right
3 helpful votes
on June 1, 2014
I have always used down pillows. If you look around the net, you will find that down pillows are extremely expensive. I first ordered 2 of the queen sized in firm because many of the reviewers stated these pillows were under filled. They were so firm I relocated them to the spare bedroom - I should have sent them back but because of some of the negative reviews but I thought they would eventually have more give. I then ordered 4 queen sized in medium to replace them. We love them. They arrived clean and fresh with no odor. The amount of filling is what I expected for a medium density pillow. We do sleep with 4 of them though with 2 King at the head of the bed - always have - we love to bury ourselves in down pillows. For me the whole point of a down pillow is the ability of them to form to whatever shape is placed on them - not for support. I love them! Of course if you order queen you have to have queen pillowcases. All of this can cost a chunk of change though. It's worth it to me to have a comfortable bed as it is my favorite place. In the end - any of the best down pillows are squishy, snuggly and huggable. My bet is that these last a long time on my bed. Note - the pillow itself does not have a gusset like my old american made JCP king pillows but is on the cover. That is the only improvement I would make but it does't interfere with the comfort.
on November 24, 2015
This is a very soft, comfortable pillow. I am a revolving sleeper, I start on my back, move to my side, stomach and repeat throughout the night. This pillow is perfect for me, it allows me to push it into the shape I need for good support in whatever position I am in. Most people would probably benefit from using this pillow with another one. I use a less expensive feather pillow under it for more support, but I often use the down pillow on its own. I have been looking for a good pillow, one that doesn't give me a headache or keep me up trying to get comfortable, this is the first one I have found. All those cheaper pillows just didn't cut it, worth the price.
VINE VOICEon October 21, 2011
Such a disappointment :-(. Yes, I wasn't expecting a lot of loft, but this pillow is pretty close to, well, nothing under one's head. And while it's nice that it comes with a cover, that cover feels like something one would get for $4.99 at the local superstore in the bargain bin. Slick and uncomfortable.

I should have realized that all wasn't right with this pillow when I initially fluffed it and saw little pieces of down cascading over my sheets. Gah. Not even good craftsmanship.

Giving this two stars instead of one because it did not strangle me in my sleep and steal my non-existent children. Or something like that.
11 helpful votes
12 helpful votes
on November 30, 2012
I've always been a stomach sleeper and being such I gravitate towards softer pillows that allow my head to sink into them rather than send me to the chiropractor.

I was a little nervous buying a pillow, sight unseen, and more importantly squeeze unseen, but am happy to report that those concerns were alleviated once I tried the pillow out for the first time. Here are my thoughts:

* The down filler is extremely soft, but not overly so or limp.
* Both the outside of the pillow and the cover were very clean and didn't have any strange smells.
* The material had a very high quality feel (both the pillow and the cover that came with it).
* The zipper on the outside of the cover didn't feel like it was going to fall apart or cut you, although I did put my own pillow case over it.

Perfect soft pillow for the stomach sleeper. Glad I took a chance on ordering it without seeing it first.
5 helpful votes
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.