Industrial Deals Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 15, 2015
This is a book about the true horror of a soldier being maimed for life, and dealing with the adversity he encounters along the way, during and after the war. It's a story about a person who did not question authority at the early stages of his young life, and who could not stop questioning it after he became a man. He is a man that examined himself and reality after being wounded. This book was close to Ron's heart, and I don't think that there's anyone who couldn't emphasize with him after reading his honestly penned story. This book could be compared to the horror of war found by the protagonist in Stephen Crane's masterpiece, "The Red Badge of Courage," set during the American Civil War. In Crane's fictional book, the protagonist makes it back from war in one piece, but he is seriously and permanently changed by the experience. Interestingly, Crane, had never really been a soldier in war.
on April 24, 2017
I saw the movie and had to read the book for a class. The book does give you more information then the movie. Good book!
on March 25, 2016
There is something about the way he writes-stream of consciousness and uniqueness. Makes all his important points without being preachy. Not too long either. Very impressed.
3 helpful votes
on October 28, 2016
I expected more information and details about his time in Vietnam Nam and his return. Seemed rather superficial but perhaps I was expecting the movie version. His switching from first to third person was a bit confusing.
on July 27, 2017
Got a softcover instead of a hardcover.
on August 5, 2017
great so far...
on March 6, 2017
good condition
on August 24, 2014
I saw the movie "Born on the Fourth of July" and based on how powerful the movie was, I decided to buy the book. The book is somewhat different than the movie, but it is also a moving portrayal of one Vietnam Veteran's struggle with fitting into normal everyday life once he returns from Vietnam. He is embittered because a single shot hit him in the upper chest while he was in combat, rendering him paralyzed from the waist down. I would highly recommend this book as it reminds us of the Vietnam veterans who sacrificed so much to serve this country.
on May 5, 2015
Great perspective from A Vietnam Vet who went through hell and kept fighting. I read this for a class and was thoroughly impressed with it, I think this book gave such a good insight for a 21 year old man (23 now) to the Vietnam War and it's aftermath of veterans against the war itself.
on March 14, 2013
Born on the Fourth of July is a uniquely written, engaging, and inspirational book; however, it is incredibly melancholy. Perhaps the best Vietnam War story I have ever read or seen.

Kovic's storytelling is very genuine and open, which allowed me to feel his depression and frustration throughout the book. It made me thankful to have full use of my body, but then every part of my normal life felt like I wasting my good health.

If you're looking for a casual light read then I would not recommend this book. That being said, this book is a great read, but just not a feel-good story.